Liberty Ball Markers

What are your favorite irons?

Currently, I am playing the Cleveland 588 Altitudes. Very nice club easy to hit with a nice high loft. Not as good distance wise as my old CG4's but, easier to hit now days.

Back a few years ago, the Cleveland CG4 was the best irons I ever played.

I was very accurate with them and at the time I was shooting from the Mid 70's to Mid 80's, Best time ever!

My first fitted set were Cleveland TA-7s with the micro-cavities. Moved to Mizuno MP-32's... Absolutely loved those. I remember the CG4s, good clubs as well.

MDGolfHacker

• Like 2

These SLDR Irons are! (In a combo set with several TM UDI's)

sldrIron1.jpeg

UDI.jpg  'The Ultimate Driving Iron'

Note the consistent 4* loft gaps achieved with this particular combo!

#1 UDI -- (16*)

#3 UDI -- (20*)

#5 SLDR (24*)

#6 SLDR (28*)

#7 SLDR (32*)

#8 SLDR (36*)

Note:  I use KBS C-Taper Lite 110's in both my SLDR irons and the UDI's.  (It is the stock shaft in the UDI's)

My first fitted set were Cleveland TA-7s with the micro-cavities. Moved to Mizuno MP-32's... Absolutely loved those. I remember the CG4s, good clubs as well.

MDGolfHacker

Remember when I had them. I couldn't make up my mind between them and the CG2's.

Ha. The more things change.....

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Had a set of X-12 pro series irons w/ rifle shafts. Loved them to death, but wore them out. Loving current g30 irons, but still think about those x-12s.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

My Srixon Z765's have displaced my old Mizuno MP 60's as my favorite iron set. Still have a soft spot for the Taylor Made Burner irons that were my first “nice” set of clubs.

Hogan Apex redlines! With the original Hogan proprietary Apex shaft (#4 flex). My first really good set of irons. My grandfather bought them for me after I finally beat him (78 to 79) for the first time.

I'm getting misty just thinking about them...

• Like 1

I've only ever owned 3 sets of irons. Started with a set of 08 Big Bertha's then Ping G's and now my new set of Srixon Z765's. I never really bought into he hype over forged irons before but now I dont think ill buy anything but. The turf interaction with these Srixon's are amazing.

• Like 1

I've only ever owned 3 sets of irons. Started with a set of 08 Big Bertha's then Ping G's and now my new set of Srixon Z765's. I never really bought into he hype over forged irons before but now I dont think ill buy anything but. The turf interaction with these Srixon's are amazing.

That's great for you. I haven't had a similar experience with forged irons. I don't feel the difference when I hit one flush. But I feel the difference when I hit a bad shot. So I have concluded that they aren't for me. But I love the way they look. I wish I could hit forged irons especially blades. But it's not in the cards for me

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I wrote a longer response to a similar question some time ago- you can find it here https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/21223-yesterdays-news/page-3?hl=riley&do=findComment&comment=340260

I think that when I first started, the Rileys were great clubs for game improvement. I love my Hogan Apex Edge Pros, but the technology (20+ years old) is too costly to compete (distance, etc).

I like my current Titlest 714 AP2's, and still game my Hogan TK wedges, but I am very very tempted to get the new Hogan Equalizers- the Hogan Products are high quality, very tight tolerances, and just feel great. I loved the Hogan Ft Worth irons, but my game is not good enough to maintain that perfect swing, and off-center hits are just too penal (and they sting in the cold...)

• Like 1

Hogan Apex redlines! With the original Hogan proprietary Apex shaft (#4 flex). My first really good set of irons. My grandfather bought them for me after I finally beat him (78 to 79) for the first time.

I'm getting misty just thinking about them...

Since this thread started I have sorta turned into a half a$$ed Hogan man. Started with a set of Grinds I found on the pile at work missing the 8 iron. A WRX buddy of mine who is a collector and dealer sent me a matching 8 iron. # weeks ago I found a set of 54 Precisions missing the 8 iron (again lol) and the PW. In the same haul I found a Cameo Equalizer and 9 iron. Again another collector friend on WRX had the matching 8 iron. The Cameo wedge hits so good I am not even looking for a match for the others. I actually re gripped the set and have played them the last 2 weeks. Fun to hit now the stock lofts are about 1 club weaker than my Macs but 2 clubs weaker than my 2013 Forged Callys. 

• Like 2

Since this thread started I have sorta turned into a half a$$ed Hogan man. Started with a set of Grinds I found on the pile at work missing the 8 iron. A WRX buddy of mine who is a collector and dealer sent me a matching 8 iron. # weeks ago I found a set of 54 Precisions missing the 8 iron (again lol) and the PW. In the same haul I found a Cameo Equalizer and 9 iron. Again another collector friend on WRX had the matching 8 iron. The Cameo wedge hits so good I am not even looking for a match for the others. I actually re gripped the set and have played them the last 2 weeks. Fun to hit now the stock lofts are about 1 club weaker than my Macs but 2 clubs weaker than my 2013 Forged Callys.

I like the look of Ben Hogan sticks especially the forged cavity back Edge irons. I would love a set of those.

• Like 2

I don't know if I'll ever find anything I like better than my old Eye2s. I've played several other sets, but every time I grab those Pings, it's like putting on that pair of jeans that fit just right.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I don't know if I'll ever find anything I like better than my old Eye2s. I've played several other sets, but every time I grab those Pings, it's like putting on that pair of jeans that fit just right.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I feel the same about my zings. There is something about Pings that are just magic.

• Like 1

J40 CB I always end up cleaning the dust of them ea summer, and play them for a couple weeks.

Once you go Hogan...