TESTERS WANTED! ×

Got Problems?

ole gray

5 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I'm definitely interested in hearing these  thoughts regarding the thread.  By all means if you have a thought, let us know what your suggestion is or would be.  I kinda like Berg's idea above. 

I was listening to some radio show last night, and they were discussing the Golf Channel (I think) and how they came up with ideas about show topics, etc., and they mentioned that one topic was brought to supervisors, asking for permission to air and discuss said topic, and the guy on the radio said, "Generally speaking, if you have to ask for permission for something from your supervisor, it's probably not something you should be doing."

So with that in mind I'll offer my own perspective, coming from someone who has blown up more online forums then Paris Hilton has slept with....wait...ooops.  😮

Having somewhat of a schizophrenic personality, I can be happy one day, and depressed the next, so my posts reflect that.  When I'm depressed and PO'd I'm probably better off refraining from posting anything.  The older I get, the more I realize this, and try and stay off MGS when I'm in a "mood".  Come back when I'm happy and post stuff that enlightens, edifies, and otherwise encourages others, or adds to the discussion in a positive way.

I do think the Rant thread offers some value for some folks.  I know I've posted random stuff in here, and it's a good thread to have to encapsulate stuff that doesn't quite fit anywhere else.  And often what you post very few read anyway, so it does little to no harm.  I've scrolled through many posts here, and the stuff I don't like or don't care about I simply cruise past.  If folks want to get petty and stupid about politics, no matter what color they are, I honestly don't give a fart.  But I think it's important to have a place to express feelings on stuff, within reason.  Certainly, we don't need to start rants about certain political or religious issues, because it just pisses people off, generally speaking.  But honestly if something someone says bothers me, I myself will do my best to simply turn the other cheek, and move on, and ignore it.  Now if we get into personal attacks, that's definitely where the line in the sand should be drawn.  There is no place for ripping into anyone else on here, ever.  I'd like to think I could meet anyone here on the first tee, shake hands, and smile, and spend 18 holes talking trash about how bad my golf game sucks, while encouraging anyone on here in person about that great shot they just hit.

Simple rules really - treat others as you want to be treated, and remind yourself to say only what you would say if you were standing right in front of that person.  And yeah, there are times when I vent in person, like I did Sunday to folks at church.  If you aren't venting that's a problem.  Because I sure as heck don't want to see you on the 6 o'clock news after you went nuts doing something potentially dangerous or life threatening to yourself or others.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

Ok I'll bite with a golf related rant. Last year we got to play until Dec 6th. This year after what seems like a week of solid rain plus the cold front that moved in with Gale force winds yesterday looks like I'm done golfing until next March. The course is still open but who wants to play in 40 degree weather with winds in the high teens. FYI "feels like 34". 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I get the idea of wanting to express your anger/upsetness/disillusionment with things but I thought this was a golf forum?

I can only imagine a new member checking out threads, coming in here and thinking someone would be ranting about missing their first eagle putt because someone didn't fix a ball mark or they had a perfect drive and a short wedge into the green but someone didn't repair a divot so their ball was in a terrible lie or the greenskeeper at their local course lets the rough grow so high that anything not in the fairway is an automatic punch out or.....

and then they read through the stuff posted and decide that this isn't the kind of forum they were expecting.

I get it, life can suck sometimes, and it can be sometimes healthy to "type it out" and make a post, but maybe reddit is a better place for that?  They have LOADS of forums for that stuff.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

1 hour ago, strokerAce said:

...the idea of non-golf threads on a golf forum is a little perplexing to me, but I also understand how folks want to engage with each other on a personal level and share a part of their lives that isn't golf related. Certainly a tricky balance.

I do agree with @jlukes in regards to the rant thread though.... not sure how much good it is serving.

Sometimes I shake my head especially when there’s more non golf related new threads than golf ones. Thankfully I can come here for a lot more golf threads and very few none. 

48 minutes ago, bergtaur said:

If I may be heard on this issue?

I think the rant thread can be a good place to get advice and support from the community when things aren't going your way or you need perspective on things that because of the situation you're in you can't find right now. It is disappointing however to see where the turn can be made down to some dark spots in our minds. 

So, how to change it? Well, I agree with potentially wiping this thread from the board, but with it, a MOD or STAFF member should create a new one and in post #1 lay down the law for what's good in the thread including no-go's, potential punishment for those who flirt with the line, and just general cool mod stuff that us plebs don't have access to. It would serve as a solid reminder for the guidelines the forum exists on and sets the boundaries in this thread to potentially curb moving down the weird and dark holes.

Or, as Charli suggests, perhaps moving it to the 19th Hole for golf specific rants may be ok as well. Those are my .02

I like your idea of using it for advice but imo if someone needed advice they could start a thread in the same section. More than likely that would get more eyes than in the rant thread. I tend to stay out of this thread for some of the reasons mentioned today for what happens in here.  

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I'm definitely interested in hearing these  thoughts regarding the thread.  By all means if you have a thought, let us know what your suggestion is or would be.  I kinda like Berg's idea above. 
I'd like to keep the original idea but do have some thoughts on directions to pivot-

"Aunt Thread"- where we discuss all things good and bad related to the sisters of our respective parents
"Runt Thread"- This would be a safe space for all of those smallest members of the litter. 4 legged friends welcome
"Pant Thread"- Keep your tongues in your mouth, this thread will be to debate the merits of various forms of trousers. I foresee a March Madness Chino Cloth vs Denim finale
And finally..
"Van Zan(d)t thread"- A potentially explosive Lynyrd Skynyrd vs Bruce Springsteen E Street Band Street brawl. I'm calling Skynyrd based on raw numbers of Van Zants.

I know these are all gold, but I just don't think we can have them all at the same time. Too much room for conflict with these incendiary topics

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

1 hour ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

While I have only had the pleasure to meet and play golf with a handful of spies, never the less, I consider the participants in this forum to be my cyber friends.   Yes, this is a golf site, but our love of and passion for the game can and does bind us on some level.   A level that I think, if allowed, can create long distance friendships of a sort.  The value of true friends is the ability to vent to understanding people and perhaps seek advice on certain problems and concerns in life.  Perhaps, "rant" is not the appropriate title, maybe it should the the "Friends" or "I Need a Friend" thread.  I agree with Berg as well, regardless of thread title, the rules, what is and is not appropriate should be specifically stated, along with the consequences of violating those rules. I can't imagine that anyone would disagree that politics and religion have no place on this site and that all posts should be written in a civil manner.  It should always be remembered that we are functioning among friends and that friendship must be respected.

4 hours ago, MaxEntropy said:

That sucks. We've had two huge trees fall in the woods behind our house, both times coming within inches of crushing our shed. Nothing a day outside with a chainsaw can't resolve, but a PITA nonetheless.

Well, insurance is being involved now because it's on the house and took out part of the fence. It it just landed in the backyard, I'd deal with it but it broke stuff so that's why we pay them. Looks like I "might" be able to brew a beer on Monday now. 😁

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

If we get rid of the rant thread or just keep it golf related, how else am I going to let you guys know when my truck breaks or a tree falls on my house/fence? 😁

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I’m a part of a few forums and each one has an “off topic” section with different sub-categories (politics, religion, ect...) and each is moderated differently. There are ones that allow anything (that’s not illegal that is) and some that are a little more strict. It’s all how the admin and mods want to handle their site. If it’s the matter of deleting the rant thread because it’s getting off the topic of golf, then the happy tread/ what are you drinking/smoking threads should go too along with any other off topic threads. Start a new “rant about your golf game and/or equipment thread” and a “happy about golf/ equipment thread”. If everyone wants the site just golf, that’s how I feel it should be. If the admin and mods want to keep a rant thread or any other “off topic” threads then start a off topic sub-forum with different sections if need be and have guidelines to follow. Just because it’s a golf site doesn’t mean we can’t talk anything else (we all have other hobbies/passions). And if you don’t want to talk or read about the things that are in the sub-forums, then don’t.

Edit: Just to clarify, I don’t mind this thread. Hell, I was gonna post a few things a couple times but I got over them. I was just giving my opinion because a moderator asked for opinions about the tread.

5 minutes ago, DougC38 said:

I’m a part of a few forums and each one has an “off topic” section with different sub-categories (politics, religion, ect...) and each is moderated differently. There are ones that allow anything (that’s not illegal that is) and some that are a little more strict. It’s all how the admin and mods want to handle their site. If it’s the matter of deleting the rant thread because it’s getting off the topic of golf, then the happy tread/ what are you drinking/smoking threads should go too along with any other off topic threads. Start a new “rant about your golf game and/or equipment thread” and a “happy about golf/ equipment thread”. If everyone wants the site just golf, that’s how I feel it should be. If the admin and mods want to keep a rant thread or any other “off topic” threads then start a off topic sub-forum with different sections if need be and have guidelines to follow. Just because it’s a golf site doesn’t mean we can’t talk anything else (we all have other hobbies/passions). And if you don’t want to talk or read about the things that are in the sub-forums, then don’t.

yeah...you've got a point...if I want to hear someone rant/b*tch/complain/moan I can go other places....

have fun; hope it works out. ☮️

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

2 hours ago, gaussman1 said:

I'd like to keep the original idea but do have some thoughts on directions to pivot-

"Aunt Thread"- where we discuss all things good and bad related to the sisters of our respective parents
"Runt Thread"- This would be a safe space for all of those smallest members of the litter. 4 legged friends welcome
"Pant Thread"- Keep your tongues in your mouth, this thread will be to debate the merits of various forms of trousers. I foresee a March Madness Chino Cloth vs Denim finale
And finally..
"Van Zan(d)t thread"- A potentially explosive Lynyrd Skynyrd vs Bruce Springsteen E Street Band Street brawl. I'm calling Skynyrd based on raw numbers of Van Zants.

I know these are all gold, but I just don't think we can have them all at the same time. Too much room for conflict with these incendiary topics

what about a 'forum wives' section 😏

/yes I know, I've taken it too far.............😂

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

what about a 'forum wives' section 

/yes I know, I've taken it too far.............
You go first then we'll all chime in

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

just got the quote for health insurance for next year from my employer.  At the rate I am going, I'll be working to pay for health insurance and have nothing to take home.  $6,864 just for the premium for my wife next year.  No wonder I'm broke.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

1 hour ago, gaussman1 said:

You go first then we'll all chime in

T'was an attempt at humor.......that failed

4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

15 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

T'was an attempt at humor.......that failed

You didn't fail, I was laughing.  It never entered my head that you were serious.  I knew because several years ago, on a golf thread where a rather regular playing group was formed, I suggested that perhaps we get together for dinner and drinks with our wives or significant others.  While they assured me we were still friends, many suggested that I should seek mental help.  

3 hours ago, DougC38 said:

Edit: Just to clarify, I don’t mind this thread. Hell, I was gonna post a few things a couple times but I got over them. I was just giving my opinion because a moderator asked for opinions about the tread.

Well expressed post, thanks for sharing your thoughts.   Like you I've had things that are rant to me and have actually typed them out then they seem pretty small and insignificant in the grand scheme of things. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Well expressed post, thanks for sharing your thoughts.   Like you I've had things that are rant to me and have actually typed them out then they seem pretty small and insignificant in the grand scheme of things. 

Same here haha... I get it all typed, I re-read it and realize it could be worse haha.

The Rant & Happy threads are great IMO.  It gives everyone a place to yak about things that don't necessarily involve golf.  Threads like these provides a little insight and personal aspects, beyond the boundaries of golf, about a whole bunch of people, the majority who we may only know through forum dialogue. While I've only been a member of MGS since this past July, I'm impressed just how well the forum keeps itself in check.  This dosen't work as well on other forums I participate in - I'm chocking that up to the long traditions and gentlemen aspects of the game.  I suppose a handful of sub, non-golf, forums could be created, but I don't see the need. Just my .02 cents.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I do like the rant/happy threads. We are all friends here and it gives us a little insight to their life so we get to know each more than we would if the site was strictly golf. 

My suggestion is to delete this current rant thread, and recreate it with set rules.  I.E.

1. No politics. 

2. No religious rants

3. Always treat one another with respect and don't say anything that isn't true, helpful, or kind. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I do like the rant/happy threads. We are all friends here and it gives us a little insight to their life so we get to know each more than we would if the site was strictly golf. 
My suggestion is to delete this current rant thread, and recreate it with set rules.  I.E.
1. No politics. 
2. No religious rants
3. Always treat one another with respect and don't say anything that isn't true, helpful, or kind. 
4. Make sure that your rant is appropriate for your audience. (Don't rant about your recent herpes diagnosis) LOL

You suggestions are a basic tenet of MGS - check out the 'moral codes' But an occasional reminder is also good.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Just now, tony@CIC said:

You suggestions are a basic tenet of MGS - check out the 'moral codes' But an occasional reminder is also good.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Yeah, but I don't know how many people read those. I think you could definitely specify the rules more but those seemed to be the major sticking points. I also think that a reminder specifically for that thread is nice since it could get out of hand. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Heres my mini rant today 😏

Why do saloon cars not have a rear windscreen wiper? 

4x4's have one on a steep rear window, saloons have less incline so rain stays there easily but no wiper?

yes, it clears eventually at speed, but try reversing with a fuzzy screen at start, it just doesnt make sense.

/EndOfRant 😂

As long as as any non golf talk is contained in non golf specific forums... what's the problem?

If someone doesn't want to read non golf topics they have the option to skip right on by... no harm, no foul.

Stoping in a non golf forum to ****** about what is posted in the non golf forum is pretty silly, IMO.

Grown men getting their panties in a bunch over something as trivial as what is posted in a forum is.... well..... I'll just leave it at that.

On 11/5/2018 at 12:54 PM, jlukes said:

The entire forum seems to be changing.  Less equipment talk.  More complaining about golf and life in general.  Really off-putting.

I try to avoid the negativity and complainers, but the crap is leaking into general golf discussions and it's very frustrating.

Just wanted to add my 2c worth on the discussion over peoples perception about negativity increasing on the forum.

I've been on quite a few Golf forums over the years, MGS is the ONLY forum I visit now due to the positive, friendly and courteous manner we all deal with each other, plus the site admin/mods respect for the individual and a set of excellent rules that are good to follow in real life as well as here.

My observation is that around the end of the golf season and winter setting in is usually the time theres less golf to talk about so people can focus on small things which can easily escalate.

I've seen it on other forums with appalling arguments. Theres only been a couple of instances here when the blue touchpaper was lit but it was handled well.

Winter is tough on us Golfers, if we huddle together for warmth and comfort we'll get thru it!  Then get back to booming drives, shaft and ball talk and all things good in Golf.

Winter only lasts a few months, animosity can last a lifetime.