Now the Triton is ready for battle - Hotmelt!

03trdblack

Awesomeness! It is a tinkerer's delight

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Sub 70 639D - 9.5; :cleveland-small: Launcher HB Turbo; :mizuno-small: ST 190 
FW Wood: :tour-edge: Tour Edge EXS 220 - 15*; :mizuno-small: ST 180 14*
Hybrids:  PXG 0311 22
Utility Irons: :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Utilities 18, 21, 24*;  Lynx VT Stinger - 16*
Irons::wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged; :benhogan-small:PTx Pro, :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; :wilson_staff_small: Progressives (circa 1993)

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX -2, :benhogan-small:Riviera 52-56-60; :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8,  :benhogan-small:Baby Ben

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (2020); :srixon-small: Z-STAR XV

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I enjoyed your writeup and looking forward to your take after you have time on the course with it.

• Like 1

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway MAVRIK  3 hybrid 18 Degree
Callaway Big Bertha 2019  4 hybrid 
Callaway  Max 5 - PW Irons
Cleveland CBX 2 50 & 54 Degree Wedge
Cleveland CBX Full-Face Wedge 58 degree
Odyssey
White Hot OG 7 S

Very cool, thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

That was a cool write up. Love hearing it met the approval of a scratch golfer. All the adjustments you made to it sound like they make since to me. But I don't know anything about club making. Ha

• Like 2

:titelist-small: TSi1 Aldila Ascent 40G shaft

:titelist-small: TSi2 18 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 and 23 degree hybrids Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T300 5-P Tensei  R flex shaft 1/4 long 

:titelist-small: SM8 48F/54/58 D Grinds 

:ping-small: Tyne 4 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

I will say that the face does appear pretty closed but it's not terrible.  Mentally it's easy for me to tell myself that I can completely clear my hips and know that I won't hit it right.  Just having that thought to take one side out of play makes it worth it.

• Like 3

My bag is a revolving door!

Very interesting! I would like to think Wilson knew what they were doing when they put such an adjustable club on the market.

• Like 1

Driver: Taylormade SLDR, Diamana Kai'li 70 

3 Wood: Callaway X Tour 15*

Hybrid: Bobby Jones 21* (Original)

Irons: Bridgestone J38 DPC 4-PW

Wedges: Scor 4161 52*, 57*

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport

Great write up. Have you ever tried the Powerbilt Air Force One? It had an extremely closed face, just wonder how it compares.

Unfortunately I never got to try that one.  Never had one in any stores around me to swing.

Nice write up. I hit it last night and while I liked the feel and the numbers the closed face was a deal breaker for me.

In the Bag for 2021

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5* MMT 60x

:callaway-small: Epic Speed 15* MMT 70x

:callaway-small: Apex UW 17* HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 80 6.5

:callaway-small: X Forged UT 24* MMT 105TX

:callaway-small: Apex Pro 5 - AW Steelfiber 115x

:callaway-small: PM Grind 2.0 54* $ 58* KBS $ Taper 120 Black

:ping-small: B90

Interesting write up.

Driver- Callaway 815 Big Bertha Alpha Double Black Diamond

3 Wood- Callaway 815 Big Berth Alpha

3 -5 Hybrids Callaway Apex

6-PW- 2014 Callaway Apex Pro

50,54, 58 Wedges- Callaway MD3

Putter- SeeMore FGP

Ball- Kirkland Signature and Snell MTB

Thanks for sharing.  I hope this driver does well.  Wilson Staff has been making some solid equipment lately.  I took a few swings with the Triton while wearing dress shoes and work clothes, so I can't really tell much right now, but I can say that the stripe on the crown wasn't distracting.

• Like 1

Driver:              :callaway-small: Big Bertha Alpha Double Black Diamond 816

3W:                 :titelist-small: 915F

3h:                  :titelist-small: 816H

5-GW:              :wilson_staff_small:  C200 w/Aldila Rogue

54, 58:             :ping-small: Glide

Putter:             :bettinardi-small: BB40

Got some initial testing out at the range today with the Triton.  The range balls are Titleist NXT Tour balls so they are pretty similar to normal golf balls.

IMG_20161129_112204.jpg

Very consistent driver with almost exactly the same ballflight on every shot I hit.  The hotmelt did it's job and the sound is really nice.  It now has a strong metallic POP noise to it which is nice.

The trajectory is definitely lower but I'll need to confirm that on the course with the actual golf balls I play.  Sometimes range balls have the tendency to fly lower and spin more.  If it does stay the same on the course I'll probably add some loft to bring the flight up a little.  

• Like 4

DAMN!....You are all OVER that sweet spot....nice grouping

• Like 2

Driver:   :honma: TR20 10.5*

Utility Iron: :cleveland-small: UHX 18*

Hybrid:   :callaway-small: Epic 4h 23* 

Irons:    :mizuno-small: JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :mizuno-small:M Craft Type V

Ball:   :bridgestone-small: Tour BXS

I was able to get it out on the course yesterday for a full test.  I drew quite a lot of attention from a lot of guys on the range once they saw the headcover.  Everyone was familiar with the show and wanted to give it a try.  The sound is much better with the hotmelt and really doesn't sound any different than the Ping G drivers.

Performance on the course was fantastic!  The results I saw while being fit were exactly what I got on the course.  It definitely flies lower but this caused a TON of roll out which gave me quite an overall distance boost.  Conditions here in TN are pretty dry so the ground was hard and running.  

I hit a couple out of the heel and was extremely surprised how far the miss hits went.  I was also amazed at how straight they were.  You can tell the spin is very low given how straight each shot was.  I'm sure a lot of this has to do with the Aldila Rogue 125 shaft.

Towards the end of the round I was starting to hit some more fades due to fatigue and/or the layers of clothes I had to wear.  I actually found it harder to turn over and it may be because the Rogue shaft plays very stout.  I was also playing the 6 gram weight in the toe with (2) 2 gram weights in the back and heel.  Contrary to what everyone has been saying the face is NOT closed and sits square.  I can see it appearing that way given the stripe on the top but the actual face angle is perfectly square.  The lie angle is also considerably flatter than most drivers on the market which is refreshing.    If you change the shaft adapter to the "draw" settings it sets the lie angle more upright and looks like a more modern lie angle you would see on current drivers.

Given the late round fades I'm going to adjust the 6 gram weight into the heel and turn the hosel adapter to the draw setting to make it more upright.  I think this will help me turn it over more given the stoutness of the Aldila Shaft.  In the warmer months I may switch it back since I can swing faster and more freely since I won't have winter jackets on.

Overall this club is cool.  It's different looking but the performance is fantastic and has performed every bit, if not better, than anything else out there I've tried.  With the amount of adjustability it offers there really shouldn't be many people on the planet that it can't be fit to. 

• Like 6

Okay, so adding the hotmelt INSIDE the clubhead is no different than adding lead tape on the outside?  This club is still conforming?

• Like 1

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Nippon N.S. Regio Formula MB+ 65 Stiff
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
:bridgestone-small: Tour B-RX

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

Okay, so adding the hotmelt INSIDE the clubhead is no different than adding lead tape on the outside? This club is still conforming?

Exactly. As long as nothing moves around its conforming. The hotmelt helps quiet down sound which lead tape really doesn't do.

• Like 4