TESTERS WANTED! ×

Comparing Mallets

Justin H

Wanted to hear the MGS forum's thoughts on two mallet putters.  I've played a Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport that I had restored back in 2005, with custom colors, for the past 10+ years.  I've been streaky with it, at best, but as silly as it sounds, it's my putter.  I've never really wanted to change.  I mean, it has my initials on it. 

I've been playing a course with excruciatingly slow greens lately, which has seemed to amplify mishits due to the speed required to get the ball to the hole.  While I've always known I'm a SBST putter playing a putter that tends towards a more arc style stroke, I've managed to make do over the years.  Unfortunately those shortcomings are exposed more and more often. So I've decided to purchase a SBST type mallet to see if that helps.  I've narrowed it down to two and wanted some input.  

Has anyone had any experience with the Odyssey Works Versa #7H or the Taylormade Daddy Long Legs 2.0?  I've putted with both and really liked the size and feel of them.  I've pretty much settle don the #7H, if just on looks alone, but I like the white and black of the Daddy Long Legs.  If I had an endless putter budget there wouldn't be any discussion...I'd just be buying this.  But I'm not spending $300+ on a putter with an insert when there's a whole rack of Odysseys out there.

Just random putter ranblings...let me know what y'all think.  

Driver: Taylormade SLDR, Diamana Kai'li 70 

3 Wood: Callaway X Tour 15*

Hybrid: Bobby Jones 21* (Original)

Irons: Bridgestone J38 DPC 4-PW

Wedges: Scor 4161 52*, 57*

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport

I played the Spider S Slant for a season and now I've been playing an Odyssey #7 for the past 2 seasons.  I had issues aiming the Spider, I thought I was at the hole but I was way off.  Learned that during a putter fitting a few years back.

I really like the #7 and have putted fairly well with it over the past 2 seasons.  I sometimes struggle with distance control though so I have an Evnroll ER5 on the way.  Same basic head shape but should help with distance.  If you haven't checked out the Evnroll yet I would do that before buying anything else.

MGS test - http://www.mygolfspy.com/2017-evnroll-putter-test/

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Try one of the Ping Ketsch or TR Cadence putters

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

You might want to take a look at the Odyssesy Works Tank Two Ball Fang putter.  I'm having a good bit of success with mine.  My putting was very inconsistent and since I threw this putter in the bag I have been rolling the rock pretty darn good.  I've had it a few months now and she's still cooking with Crisco.

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

There are a lot of good mallet putters on the market.

A good one to try out, would be the Odyssey RS Fang or the Odyssey Works Fang.

But you can't go wrong with putters that the MGS peeps are suggesting.

Good luck in your putter hunting.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

I used a Versa #7 most of last year and early this year. Then went to the SC X7M and it is the best punter I've ever used. I played the original TM Spyder for like 2 years when it forst came out.

I now have the EVNROLL ER5 for testing. So you can tell the shape is one I like and have had succes with.

I'm not sure that cleared anything up for you. Ha

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

The key to any putter is being able to start the ball on your intended line no matter how long or short the stroke.  Put a dime about 16" in front of a ball and see what putter will enable you to roll the ball consistently over the dime.  If you can't start the ball over the dime,  it probably isn't the putter for you.  Also putt tees on the inside and outside edges of the putter and work on having the putter move between those tees.  Start a little wider than the putter and keep narrowing until you polish off your stroke.  

Good luck!

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Thanks for all the suggestions! I realize the Ketsch, Cadence, and EvnRoll putters have all been given excellent reviews here at MGS. Unfortunately the EvnRoll is just outside of my budget.

I do think the #7H is the next best thing, after spendjng 10-15 minutes with each, side by side, on the PGA Superstore practice green. Based off what everyone is saying I think I'm going to go with the #7H and see how it works out, then possibly save my pennies for the EvnRoll ER5.

And thanks cnosil, that dime drill you mentioned is always a fun one. Especially with a dog or 7 year old in the room!

Driver: Taylormade SLDR, Diamana Kai'li 70 

3 Wood: Callaway X Tour 15*

Hybrid: Bobby Jones 21* (Original)

Irons: Bridgestone J38 DPC 4-PW

Wedges: Scor 4161 52*, 57*

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport

Would not look past the counterbalanced putters one bit.  I have a Scotty Dual Balance Newport (I know not a mallet) at 35" that has been my savior on the greens.  Before that I had a Tank #7 in the bag and it was great for my stroke but I did not get along well with the insert.  You can get a lot of the Odyssey putters from Callaway's preowned site in like new condition for a good price.  I came close to picking up a Tank Cruiser #1 over the weekend. I believe they are still having their 30% off your entire order cyber sale and possibly still a BOGO on putters and wedges.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Archived