TESTERS WANTED! ×

MG Senior ball?

PlaidJacket

Received an email this morning from MG golf advertising their new "Senior" ball. Unfortunately, it's non-conforming due to initial velocity. MG claims it's 1.5 clubs longer than a conforming ball.

Personally, I'm disappointed they are selling an illegal ball. Senior or no Senior.... I wouldn't buy/play it.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Some of the old dudes might jump on board as they don't play by the rules anyway.  I know one player who is still using his belly putter.  He's 77 and say's he has no plans of ever giving it up. We have a senor group that plays a blitz every Tuesday where money is involved and little side bets too however no one cares what other guys choose to do.   Some have more than 14 clubs in their bags but again, no one cares.  I don't know of any of the guys who play in a USGA tournament. It's a local thing and it's up to the individual as to what they do.  

Personally I don't see myself playing with this ball however I wouldn't care if someone who was handicapped or not having fun because of a distance issue using this ball.

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I'm with ole gray on this one who gives two hoots about the USGA anyhow? I do know some of the retirees men's leagues around here voted last year to disregard the anchored putter ban and allow it in their groups. i do know some of those guys play the non conforming Bandit balls too. After all they are staying in the game and having fun and that is what it is all about. Some of that same bunch at several courses play non-conforming Soooo-Long drivers too because I built them when we had the golf shop!!

I am retired from comp now and technically my older pre 2012 wedges are non-conforming. I play in several different groups with different games and no one cares there either. Now I have lost some distance with age but right now I play conforming balls but see no problem with others if they choose to do so

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Received an email this morning from MG golf advertising their new "Senior" ball. Unfortunately, it's non-conforming due to initial velocity. MG claims it's 1.5 clubs longer than a conforming ball.

Personally, I'm disappointed they are selling an illegal ball. Senior or no Senior.... I wouldn't buy/play it.

No shot that claim is close to accurate. That means my good drives would be going close to 500yds. Hell even if its 1.2X longer I wouldn't believe it.

If it does though... Hellooooo scramble tee ball and driving par 5s  B)

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

No shot that claim is close to accurate. That means my good drives would be going close to 500yds. Hell even if its 1.2X longer I wouldn't believe it.

If it does though... Hellooooo scramble tee ball and driving par 5s B)

Clubs longer, not times longer. I took that to mean maybe an extra 10-15yds

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Clubs longer, not times longer. I took that to mean maybe an extra 10-15yds

Misread, my b.

Still.... A man can dream of driving par 5s  :blush:

I have to agree with big Stu..who gives two s**ts about the usga. I did replace my belly putter with a Scotty, but I still bring it out every once in awhile. The usga has been holding the game back for too long.

Sent from my iPhone while sitting at the 19th hole.

I have to agree with big Stu..who gives two s**ts about the usga. I did replace my belly putter with a Scotty, but I still bring it out every once in awhile. The usga has been holding the game back for too long.

That is why I dropped my USGA membership after 20 plus years 3 years ago. They are not for the betterment of the game they are for the betterment of their pocketbook. The groove issue got me started. We have an informal bunch of us over on WRX if you look on their signature mine included you will see proud member of the OGA which means Outlaw Golf Association. No dues etc just a like minded bunch of guys who play what they want to and do not give two hoots about the USGA,R&A or the PGA for that matter. None of us keep a legimitate rules conforming handicap or play sanctioned events.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

That is why I dropped my USGA membership after 20 plus years 3 years ago. They are not for the betterment of the game they are for the betterment of their pocketbook. The groove issue got me started. We have an informal bunch of us over on WRX if you look on their signature mine included you will see proud member of the OGA which means Outlaw Golf Association. No dues etc just a like minded bunch of guys who play what they want to and do not give two hoots about the USGA,R&A or the PGA for that matter. None of us keep a legimitate rules conforming handicap or play sanctioned events.

I think you need to start one up here on MGS and  you got one new member right here.  Yea they loss me when they banned the belly and titty putters.  Add in a couple rulings where they screwed around with Dustin Johnson and that was all I needed.  

Cleveland

I think you need to start one up here on MGS and  you got one new member right here.  Yea they loss me when they banned the belly and titty putters.  Add in a couple rulings where they screwed around with Dustin Johnson and that was all I needed.  

Titty putters lmao... That's a new one on me and I'm keeping it.

Titty putters lmao... That's a new one on me and I'm keeping it.

Some of them old boys back at the county course used them real tall chest putters and I always called em titty putters.

Cleveland

• SPY VIP

Play what makes the game fun in the way that you play it. Obviously not for official tournament play, but if it puts some joy into the weekly play group as you hit it deeper, play on. Not going to rub my rhubarb one bit.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Here's the deal with me. Me and the guys I play with play serious and for money. But not huge amounts; but money. And it's fun! I'll be damn as will anyone else in the game allow me or anyone else to compete with an illegal ball. Be it, the MG Senior, Condor, Polaria, etc. In our game that's cheating.

However, if you and me go brush it around some afternoon to have a Pepsi afterwards...fine. Go for it. Hell, you don't even have to putt out. I'll give you par on each hole if you like. But, if you want to come play in our game you better not ever get caught cheating or playing illegal equipment.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

Here's the deal with me. Me and the guys I play with play serious and for money. But not huge amounts; but money. And it's fun! I'll be damn as will anyone else in the game allow me or anyone else to compete with an illegal ball. Be it, the MG Senior, Condor, Polaria, etc. In our game that's cheating.

However, if you and me go brush it around some afternoon to have a Pepsi afterwards...fine. Go for it. Hell, you don't even have to putt out. I'll give you par on each hole if you like. But, if you want to come play in our game you better not ever get caught cheating or playing illegal equipment.

What if my ball goes all DJ and moves before or as I put my putter behind it. You calling it on me?  :rolleyes:

Hmmm? Let me think about that Under.

Normally I probably would not. But since you're a scratch player (kicking the sh$t out of an old 6 handicapper with no strokes!) and you have me 6 down already on the front alone; I'll have to inform you that there "might" be a penalty assessed after the round. Could even be as much as a 13 strokes! Of course I'm assuming you're not playing a Condor an DQ'd.

How else will I win? :D

Hmmm? Let me think about that Under.

Normally I probably would not. But since you're a scratch player (kicking the sh$t out of an old 6 handicapper with no strokes!) and you have me 6 down already on the front alone; I'll have to inform you that there "might" be a penalty assessed after the round. Could even be as much as a 13 strokes! Of course I'm assuming you're not playing a Condor an DQ'd.

How else will I win? :D

Never said I wouldn't give you strokes. I'm thinking 1 a side the way I've been playing  :blink:

I agree with everyone that's for more fun, but at the same time plaid jacket has a point. I play in a weekly skins game, and I'm curious how much Vaseline on driver faces or illegal balls there are in play at a given time.

Now it's a different story if we agree beforehand to forego rules. After all, everyone is allowed to move it a scorecard anyways, so what's the point of observing long putters or balls?

There's got to be a happy medium when it comes to money games. As far as pure recreation, though, do what keeps you coming back.

Driver: Taylormade SLDR, Diamana Kai'li 70 

3 Wood: Callaway X Tour 15*

Hybrid: Bobby Jones 21* (Original)

Irons: Bridgestone J38 DPC 4-PW

Wedges: Scor 4161 52*, 57*

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport

If we are playing for money and you think an illegal golf ball or wedge is gonna be the difference then you have already lost my friend. Golf is 95% in your head ..iv learned that.

Jonny I have to agree with ya....   Golf is soooooooo mental and I don't care if you have a belly putter, hawt balls, illegal grooves or anything else proclaimed  illegal, if you don't have a strong mind, you are not gonna win at any level.

If you would have given Tiger Woods one of them fancy wedges that allow you to get out of any type lie back when he was struggling with chipping, it would not have helped. He would have still made a mess like a bear in a honey drinking contest.

Cleveland

Jonny I have to agree with ya.... Golf is soooooooo mental and I don't care if you have a belly putter, hawt balls, illegal grooves or anything else proclaimed illegal, if you don't have a strong mind, you are not gonna win at any level.

If you would have given Tiger Woods one of them fancy wedges that allow you to get out of any type lie back when he was struggling with chipping, it would not have helped. He would have still made a mess like a bear in a honey drinking contest.

it's true, I play my best golf with strangers. The guys I play with like to get in each other's heads and most of the time it isn't fun.

All you gotta do is post in your signature--- Member of the outlaw golf association and you pick your number or just OGA Member--- Of course I have number one and some of the guys on WRX call me the grand poobah of the OGA

G

All you gotta do is post in your signature--- Member of the outlaw golf association and you pick your number or just OGA Member--- Of course I have number one and some of the guys on WRX call me the grand poobah of the OGA

Done deal bruther !

Cleveland

Really the only thing I disagree on is the wedge thing or actually the exact ruling is clubs with a loft greater than 25* to be technical. Now my beloved 588s were made around 06 or 08 no fancy grooves. Now they were conforming on the date of manufacture. I can stop a ball with them even though they are worn. Actually the newer "conforming" wedges I tested namely the Renegar and Wishon PCF are aggressive as heck in fact too aggressive for me. I had to adapt a different technique with both. Actually I have some darn near brand new "non conforming" wedges one being a Spalding Tour Edition made around 1990 and it is not as aggressive as the newer conforming ones. Now another can of worms with that whole deal is my old irons. They were made in 1980 before all this groove mess. Now they are non conforming because they have not been tested and approved by the USGA. Now my old VIPs especially the short irons are hogged out and I had a guy here in the know take a look at them. The PW and 9 iron are so hogged out that the grooves are spread wide so thus they really are non conforming. I recently received a set of VIPs just like mine that are pristine. I am going to reshaft them but before I do that they will be sent to the USGA for testing. My contention and stance has always been that they were USGA conforming on the date of manufacture.

On your money game I can see on the ball part. I play with 3 different groups and no one has a problem with the wedges or older irons that are not on the list. Now I am sure with all 3 groups that an illegial driver or balls would not be kosher. All 3 of these groups are money games.

Like I said before for someone just enjoying the game and getting a little long in the tooth non conforming balls and drivers are ok by me. Actually the long putter or ski pole as we call them is ok by me--- But heck I am a golf hustler and I can make a game no matter the equipment one plays. I can adjust

G

Done deal bruther !

Good deal welcome

G

I agree with everyone that's for more fun, but at the same time plaid jacket has a point. I play in a weekly skins game, and I'm curious how much Vaseline on driver faces or illegal balls there are in play at a given time.

Now it's a different story if we agree beforehand to forego rules. After all, everyone is allowed to move it a scorecard anyways, so what's the point of observing long putters or balls?

There's got to be a happy medium when it comes to money games. As far as pure recreation, though, do what keeps you coming back.

Aint no grease in our games--- Another thing to watch out for is Chap Stick-- As far as money games even the big dollar gamblers agree to the rules of that paticular game before they tee off. Man back in the day it was grease or no grease. I never used the stuff myself but played with others using it. I like it here playing the ball down. I grew up on goat ranch courses and some games we played it down. Here it is gravy for me in the spring and summer

G

Aint no grease in our games--- Another thing to watch out for is Chap Stick-- As far as money games even the big dollar gamblers agree to the rules of that paticular game before they tee off. Man back in the day it was grease or no grease. I never used the stuff myself but played with others using it. I like it here playing the ball down. I grew up on goat ranch courses and some games we played it down. Here it is gravy for me in the spring and summer

Hey Stu!  To show you how naive I am, I've been playing golf for 25 years and I had never heard of using vaseline or anything like that until I joined this forum.  My old club was pretty laid back and no one gave a hoot about many rules, but that was a new one for me.

So, if someone uses grease, it must get on the ball.  Doesn't that affect green side spin?  How do you control the short shots?  Must be difficult hitting out of bunkers with a ball all wrapped up with sand like a hush puppy.   :D

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Maybe some guys get a little more carried away than others, but I always thought the 'grease' was just some silicon spray, wd-40, etc. wiped on with a cloth (like the silicon spray that I wipe my raw putters with to keep them from rusting).

I agree Stu, I'm a fan of playing it down. Makes it much simpler all the way around.

Driver: Taylormade SLDR, Diamana Kai'li 70 

3 Wood: Callaway X Tour 15*

Hybrid: Bobby Jones 21* (Original)

Irons: Bridgestone J38 DPC 4-PW

Wedges: Scor 4161 52*, 57*

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport

Hey Stu!  To show you how naive I am, I've been playing golf for 25 years and I had never heard of using vaseline or anything like that until I joined this forum.  My old club was pretty laid back and no one gave a hoot about many rules, but that was a new one for me.

So, if someone uses grease, it must get on the ball.  Doesn't that affect green side spin?  How do you control the short shots?  Must be difficult hitting out of bunkers with a ball all wrapped up with sand like a hush puppy.   :D

It can be I guess like playing on a damp day with damp bunkers etc. Most of the courses in my area did not have bunkers and if they did they were mostly flat and hard as Chinese Arithmetic and you could putt out of them. Fairway bunkers were non existant. When I ventured out I was not that good of a bunker player. I had to look and teach myself. Most of the "greasers" as we called them would not play it "down"--- play it as it lies game. So they had hand on the ball except the hazards and on most of those courses defined rough was non existant because you could not tell it from the fairways. Like I said I never used the stuff 

G

When you get down to it all that matters is that anyone in a game knows the rules they are playing by and they aren't disturbing anyone else.

I'm a bit of a libertarian.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD