TESTERS WANTED! ×

MG Senior ball?

PlaidJacket

When you get down to it all that matters is that anyone in a game knows the rules they are playing by and they aren't disturbing anyone else.

I'm a bit of a libertarian.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Oh yeah I can adjust to any game-- I can play for money or fun it does not matter to me as long as we are attempting to play golf

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

• 2 weeks later...

Why isn't there more players testing the C4 version balls,,,I think they feel a bit softer than the Costco balls,,,,and do the

same thing?

Wouldn't it make sense to test Costco vs these seeing these are supplied by a golf company that did break the

mould in regards to pricing for premium spin balls and could do with some support intead of a really large

corporation that has received an obscene amount of free media when the only real story was they were

" US$4.95 cheaper than MG per dozen!"

Costco being 4 piece is not an advantage  ,,,, Titleist for 16 years have said they can do everything they want

in ball design within the rules of the game with a twin thin cover - 3 piece design ,,,,, 4/5/6 pieces are there to

pump up your tyres and the price ,,, in general terms plus it is always harder to make consistent 4/5/6 piece

designs where the layers are thin versions ,,, the cross linking / lamination process of each layer is challenging,,,, 

Vision Golf Ball Concepts & Designs by The Atanak Co Australia (1980 - 2016)

Bosley.... are you confusing the new MG Senior ball to the Ksig? The new MG Senior is non-conforming.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there, completely agree with you I would not play or buy an illegal ball there is though plenty of great long conforming balls on the market I currently play the Srixon Soft Feel and found  out about it here http://www.grumpygopher.com/10-best-golf-balls-distance/

Yep that is a great ball I played them myself for about a year. Good bang for the buck too and you can get them from your local Wally World $19.95 a dozen. With antique clubs (persimmon and blades) they hit simular to an old wound balata ball not quite but close

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Haven't played them. They're non-conforming. However, I have played the MG Tour C4 a bunch and it's a great ball. You ought to check them out. You'll like them.

Anyone play these balls and have a comment on it's feel or performance? 

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

• 5 months later...

Anyone play these balls and have a comment on it's feel or performance? 

I found one sitting in the water a couple days ago. Having played the MG-C4 many times, thought I would give this one a try. The C-4 is a great ball. I am a regular ProV1 player. Always thought the C4 played quite similarly to the ProV. So, when I found this MG SENIOR, I was curious. I had not even heard of the Senior, so had no idea they were not conforming.

Off the driver (without a side-by-side comparison) it was hard to tell for sure if it was longer, but it certainly wasn't any shorter. It got out there. Could have been a few yards longer. The feel off the clubface was quite satisfying. However, the feel off my irons was even nicer. I normally hit my irons well for my advancing age, but using AP2-716s, my distance is just average, maybe a touch longer than average for a 61-year old, 8 indexer. This Senior ball definitely added yardage to my irons on well-struck shots. I surprised myself a few times on shots that just rocketed off the clubface. There was a distinct feeling of awesome speed. I played it for 7 holes until I hit one so far with my 7 iron, it bounced one hop into a hazard 193 yards from where I hit it! I normally play my 7 iron to go about 150 yards. Granted, this shot was somewhat downhill from a lofty lie in the rough, but I was expecting no more than 170. 193 was unfathomable. Again, I did not realize these balls were non-conforming at the time. I just found out when I looked online to find a review on them.

Though I would like to mess around further with the MG SENIOR for fun, I don't want to get used to the longer distances I might get with them, particularly when I go back to my ProVs for tournament play. I will say though, I felt 10 years younger (and 4 index points lower) hitting the MG SENIOR for those 7 holes.

Titleist TSi3 Driver/TSI2 3W/TSI3 20*H

Titleist U500 4i/T200 5-PW/Vokey SM8 48/54/60

Scotty Newport 2 Select

Interesting this post came back up.

I recently shot one of my lowest rounds of the year (three over) with a MG Tour C4. I play them off and on in my ball rotation and like them alot. Back to my original post on the MG Senior ball...

I wouldn't play one since it's illegal/non-conforming. I don't play tournaments any more (except our annual club championship) so people can say... "who cares?" I do and the guys I play on the weekends in our skin game and associated money games do. Sure, we don't play absolutely strict USGA rules. But... I can promise you that If a guy was caught playing a MG Senior, Condor, or Polaria there would be trouble. Same if a guy was caught greasing up his driver, kicking a ball out from under a bush, or finding his lost ball down his pant leg. Honestly, though none of the guys I play with would do such things anyway.

Again... if you're just out beating it around for nothing more than exercise and the sound of chirping birds do whatever you like. Carry 25 clubs and use any ball of your choosing. Improve your lie anytime and anywhere and don't access yourself any penalty strokes. It's all for fun. Right?

• 2 years later...
On 11/30/2016 at 9:58 AM, ole gray said:

Some of the old dudes might jump on board as they don't play by the rules anyway.  I know one player who is still using his belly putter.  He's 77 and say's he has no plans of ever giving it up. We have a senor group that plays a blitz every Tuesday where money is involved and little side bets too however no one cares what other guys choose to do.   Some have more than 14 clubs in their bags but again, no one cares.  I don't know of any of the guys who play in a USGA tournament. It's a local thing and it's up to the individual as to what they do.  

Personally I don't see myself playing with this ball however I wouldn't care if someone who was handicapped or not having fun because of a distance issue using this ball.

This is the 'broken window theory' of criminal behavior.  If you are not going to pay attention to some of the rules why would you pay attention to the more serious ones.  Exceeding the 14 club rule is a testament to the lack of ethics and respect for anything in today's society. We DQ'd a guy for carrying 17 clubs, but you can enact a local rule if you have a number of players in favor of such a thing.  The idea is for everyone to play under the same rules, not just the guys with respect for the game.

Edited by Wayne Rules Chairman
missing words

• 1 year later...
36 minutes ago, mikesr said:

how much longer is it really than a pro vi

Depends what your swing speed is.  From my experience it's not as long as a ProV1 unless your swing speed is less than maybe 75-80 mph.  

My wife likes to play them because they are soft and don't hurt her hands when hitting them.  Her swing speed is 65-70 mph.  She gets more roll with the driver but sacrifices greenside spin.  She plays the no spin OK since she knows how it reacts on the green.  

I play the KSig original ball and PV1x.  My swing speed is 85-90 mph.  I've tried them, and the PV1x is longer for me.  I wouldn't think that the ball would be good for higher swing speeds.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”