Our Sponsors

I think you need to start one up here on MGS and  you got one new member right here.  Yea they loss me when they banned the belly and titty putters.  Add in a couple rulings where they screwed around with Dustin Johnson and that was all I needed.  

All you gotta do is post in your signature--- Member of the outlaw golf association and you pick your number or just OGA Member--- Of course I have number one and some of the guys on WRX call me the grand poobah of the OGA

• Like 2

Driver --- Honma G1-X Stock R Flex----  3W Callaway Steelhead UST Pro Force Gold 65 stiff--- 2 iron 1980 Macgregor VIP Nike R flex-------- Irons 3 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex shafts--- SW Cleveland 588 Sensicore S-400-- Putter Rusty Santa Fe Bulls Eye Fluted shaft-- Bag Old School Hoofer I had in the stash--- Goes along with my raggety persona

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What if my ball goes all DJ and moves before or as I put my putter behind it. You calling it on me? 

Here's the deal with me. Me and the guys I play with play serious and for money. But not huge amounts; but money. And it's fun! I'll be damn as will anyone else in the game allow me or anyone else to

Play what makes the game fun in the way that you play it. Obviously not for official tournament play, but if it puts some joy into the weekly play group as you hit it deeper, play on. Not going to rub

All you gotta do is post in your signature--- Member of the outlaw golf association and you pick your number or just OGA Member--- Of course I have number one and some of the guys on WRX call me the grand poobah of the OGA

Done deal bruther !

• Like 1

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway MAVRIK MAX 3 - wood
Callaway Big Bertha 2019  4 & 5 hybrid 
Tommy Armour 845 MAX 6 - GW Irons
Cleveland CBX 2 54 Degree SW
Cleveland CBX Full-Face Wedge 58 degree
Odyssey Triple Track 10 Putter 

Here's the deal with me. Me and the guys I play with play serious and for money. But not huge amounts; but money. And it's fun! I'll be damn as will anyone else in the game allow me or anyone else to compete with an illegal ball. Be it, the MG Senior, Condor, Polaria, etc. In our game that's cheating.

However, if you and me go brush it around some afternoon to have a Pepsi afterwards...fine. Go for it. Hell, you don't even have to putt out. I'll give you par on each hole if you like. But, if you want to come play in our game you better not ever get caught cheating or playing illegal equipment.

Really the only thing I disagree on is the wedge thing or actually the exact ruling is clubs with a loft greater than 25* to be technical. Now my beloved 588s were made around 06 or 08 no fancy grooves. Now they were conforming on the date of manufacture. I can stop a ball with them even though they are worn. Actually the newer "conforming" wedges I tested namely the Renegar and Wishon PCF are aggressive as heck in fact too aggressive for me. I had to adapt a different technique with both. Actually I have some darn near brand new "non conforming" wedges one being a Spalding Tour Edition made around 1990 and it is not as aggressive as the newer conforming ones. Now another can of worms with that whole deal is my old irons. They were made in 1980 before all this groove mess. Now they are non conforming because they have not been tested and approved by the USGA. Now my old VIPs especially the short irons are hogged out and I had a guy here in the know take a look at them. The PW and 9 iron are so hogged out that the grooves are spread wide so thus they really are non conforming. I recently received a set of VIPs just like mine that are pristine. I am going to reshaft them but before I do that they will be sent to the USGA for testing. My contention and stance has always been that they were USGA conforming on the date of manufacture.

On your money game I can see on the ball part. I play with 3 different groups and no one has a problem with the wedges or older irons that are not on the list. Now I am sure with all 3 groups that an illegial driver or balls would not be kosher. All 3 of these groups are money games.

Like I said before for someone just enjoying the game and getting a little long in the tooth non conforming balls and drivers are ok by me. Actually the long putter or ski pole as we call them is ok by me--- But heck I am a golf hustler and I can make a game no matter the equipment one plays. I can adjust

• Like 2

Driver --- Honma G1-X Stock R Flex----  3W Callaway Steelhead UST Pro Force Gold 65 stiff--- 2 iron 1980 Macgregor VIP Nike R flex-------- Irons 3 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex shafts--- SW Cleveland 588 Sensicore S-400-- Putter Rusty Santa Fe Bulls Eye Fluted shaft-- Bag Old School Hoofer I had in the stash--- Goes along with my raggety persona

Done deal bruther !

Good deal welcome

I agree with everyone that's for more fun, but at the same time plaid jacket has a point. I play in a weekly skins game, and I'm curious how much Vaseline on driver faces or illegal balls there are in play at a given time.

Now it's a different story if we agree beforehand to forego rules. After all, everyone is allowed to move it a scorecard anyways, so what's the point of observing long putters or balls?

There's got to be a happy medium when it comes to money games. As far as pure recreation, though, do what keeps you coming back.

Aint no grease in our games--- Another thing to watch out for is Chap Stick-- As far as money games even the big dollar gamblers agree to the rules of that paticular game before they tee off. Man back in the day it was grease or no grease. I never used the stuff myself but played with others using it. I like it here playing the ball down. I grew up on goat ranch courses and some games we played it down. Here it is gravy for me in the spring and summer

• Like 2

Aint no grease in our games--- Another thing to watch out for is Chap Stick-- As far as money games even the big dollar gamblers agree to the rules of that paticular game before they tee off. Man back in the day it was grease or no grease. I never used the stuff myself but played with others using it. I like it here playing the ball down. I grew up on goat ranch courses and some games we played it down. Here it is gravy for me in the spring and summer

Hey Stu!  To show you how naive I am, I've been playing golf for 25 years and I had never heard of using vaseline or anything like that until I joined this forum.  My old club was pretty laid back and no one gave a hoot about many rules, but that was a new one for me.

So, if someone uses grease, it must get on the ball.  Doesn't that affect green side spin?  How do you control the short shots?  Must be difficult hitting out of bunkers with a ball all wrapped up with sand like a hush puppy.   :D

• Like 3

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Maybe some guys get a little more carried away than others, but I always thought the 'grease' was just some silicon spray, wd-40, etc. wiped on with a cloth (like the silicon spray that I wipe my raw putters with to keep them from rusting).

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I agree Stu, I'm a fan of playing it down. Makes it much simpler all the way around.

Driver: Taylormade SLDR, Diamana Kai'li 70 

3 Wood: Callaway X Tour 15*

Hybrid: Bobby Jones 21* (Original)

Irons: Bridgestone J38 DPC 4-PW

Wedges: Scor 4161 52*, 57*

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport

Hey Stu!  To show you how naive I am, I've been playing golf for 25 years and I had never heard of using vaseline or anything like that until I joined this forum.  My old club was pretty laid back and no one gave a hoot about many rules, but that was a new one for me.

So, if someone uses grease, it must get on the ball.  Doesn't that affect green side spin?  How do you control the short shots?  Must be difficult hitting out of bunkers with a ball all wrapped up with sand like a hush puppy.   :D

It can be I guess like playing on a damp day with damp bunkers etc. Most of the courses in my area did not have bunkers and if they did they were mostly flat and hard as Chinese Arithmetic and you could putt out of them. Fairway bunkers were non existant. When I ventured out I was not that good of a bunker player. I had to look and teach myself. Most of the "greasers" as we called them would not play it "down"--- play it as it lies game. So they had hand on the ball except the hazards and on most of those courses defined rough was non existant because you could not tell it from the fairways. Like I said I never used the stuff 

• Like 1

When you get down to it all that matters is that anyone in a game knows the rules they are playing by and they aren't disturbing anyone else.

I'm a bit of a libertarian.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 4

Ping G410 - turned down to11.25 degrees, neutral setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

SCOR 52,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Currently testing Edison wedges to replace SCORS that are wearing out. Also auditions for the 14th spot in the bag.  Current possibilities are a Ping 26 degree hybrid - duplicates the 9 wood or 5 iron but would be used almost exclusively for chipping or Tour Exotics 3 wood simply because you can carry 14 clubs and I might occasionally hit it in certain unusual wind conditions once every four or five rounds. 

When you get down to it all that matters is that anyone in a game knows the rules they are playing by and they aren't disturbing anyone else.

I'm a bit of a libertarian.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Oh yeah I can adjust to any game-- I can play for money or fun it does not matter to me as long as we are attempting to play golf

• 2 weeks later...

Why isn't there more players testing the C4 version balls,,,I think they feel a bit softer than the Costco balls,,,,and do the

same thing?

Wouldn't it make sense to test Costco vs these seeing these are supplied by a golf company that did break the

mould in regards to pricing for premium spin balls and could do with some support intead of a really large

corporation that has received an obscene amount of free media when the only real story was they were

" US$4.95 cheaper than MG per dozen!"

Costco being 4 piece is not an advantage  ,,,, Titleist for 16 years have said they can do everything they want

in ball design within the rules of the game with a twin thin cover - 3 piece design ,,,,, 4/5/6 pieces are there to

pump up your tyres and the price ,,, in general terms plus it is always harder to make consistent 4/5/6 piece

designs where the layers are thin versions ,,, the cross linking / lamination process of each layer is challenging,,,, 

• Like 2

Vision Golf Ball Concepts & Designs by The Atanak Co Australia (1980 - 2016)

Bosley.... are you confusing the new MG Senior ball to the Ksig? The new MG Senior is non-conforming.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there, completely agree with you I would not play or buy an illegal ball there is though plenty of great long conforming balls on the market I currently play the Srixon Soft Feel and found  out about it here http://www.grumpygopher.com/10-best-golf-balls-distance/

Yep that is a great ball I played them myself for about a year. Good bang for the buck too and you can get them from your local Wally World $19.95 a dozen. With antique clubs (persimmon and blades) they hit simular to an old wound balata ball not quite but close

• Like 1

Has anyone played these MG Seniors balls yet. Are they rock hard and that what makes the ball go further or mid or soft feel?

Also, the yellow version of the MG Senior is due out at the end of Feb.

Hard balls going further is no longer gospel

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* VA Nemesys 65X
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50F - 54S - 59D
:scotty-small: Phantom X 5.5 (2021)
:titelist-small: ProV1