Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

OFFICIAL FORUM MEMBER REVIEW - EVNROLL PUTTERS

JBones

Great review Carolina Golfer! You guys are killing it so far!

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

Great review Carolina Golfer! You guys are killing it so far!

Thanks Shawn, the kind words mean alot!!

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Great job on the review! Very nice detail!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

EVENROLL ER5 Stage 2 Review

Good Lord you guys are pros at this review/testing stuff!  I felt like I was getting a fitting session as I was reading this. One thing that I found interesting, was how Mr. Rife suggested going with a shorter length although you are tall.  I was told a similar thing at a class a few of us took at the Dave Peltz school in Atlanta.  Extending the arms helps to rock with the shoulders more is exactly what my instructor said. Your comment reinforces that bit of advice.

This model is one of my favorites among those you guys are testing.  With Mr. Rife hinting about the next model ER5 coming with a more muted sound, well it perked my ears up.

Absolutely awesome job Rob and you all are putting on the dog!

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Great job on the review! Very nice detail!

Thanks very much appreciate it.  Glad it was useful. 

Good Lord you guys are pros at this review/testing stuff!  I felt like I was getting a fitting session as I was reading this. One thing that I found interesting, was how Mr. Rife suggested going with a shorter length although you are tall.  I was told a similar thing at a class a few of us took at the Dave Peltz school in Atlanta.  Extending the arms helps to rock with the shoulders more is exactly what my instructor said. Your comment reinforces that bit of advice.

This model is one of my favorites among those you guys are testing.  With Mr. Rife hinting about the next model ER5 coming with a more muted sound, well it perked my ears up.

Absolutely awesome job Rob and you all are putting on the dog!

Thanks Bill, really appreciate the kind words.

Yes i was glad to hear that the 35" was right for me.   I really wanted two 38" models I tried earlier this yer to work for me, but while I never got comfortable from a stroke standpoint, my address position was comfortable, but I felt like I was cramming my arms in to make the stroke.    With the 35" I'm much more fully extended and able to make more of a rocking of the shoulders stroke.

I'm sure he'll have the new ER5 at the PGA Show and I told him I would be down there to say hello and check out the new line.   I'll be sure and report back with any differences i see.

Very nicely done RevKev.  As you stated, we do have the liberty to make changes and the review process is just that, a review of golf equipment by people with many backgrounds who do not think alike.  As each review is unfolded, one gets the opportunity to get inside each others head and better understand the process.  As I read your review, I could feel the Evnroll putter in my hands, standing on the Greens of the Bayou Club (and yeas they are fast greens) thinking how your comments would apply to my swing.  Knowing I could not spend an afternoon on the greens with several styles of Evnroll putters, I just imagine myself putting while reading the reviews.

Thanks much for the insight you provided.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Picked my er6 up at Orlando PGA superstore this week!! Love it!!

Good to know!   Keep us posted how this puppy is performing.

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

It's definitely a good looking putter!

What's in my bag...

Driver:      TaylorMade R15 10.5• Aldila Rouge Black 60g stiff shaft

3 Wood:   TaylorMade R15 15• Aldila Rouge Black 70g stiff shaft

Hybrid:     TaylorMade  Rescue 4-21• Aldila Rip 65g stiff shaft

Irons:        TaylorMade  RSi TP Nippon NS Pro 950, stiff shaft

Wedges:   TaylorMade  50•, 54•, 58• Nippon NS Pro stiff shaft

Putter:      TaylorMade Ghost 

Ball:          Wilson DUO U

Bag:         TaylorMade 

Good Stuff Rev. We have a lot of the same thoughts on the ER5 we both tested.

It's good to see you adapted to the smaller head so well. That was one concern for me vs the X7M. But it's been a non issue and actually I like the compact look and feel a lot.

Stage 2 

attachicon.gifIMG_20161218_172545.jpg

Now for the meat and potatoes.  Does it work?

I have always been very skeptical by nature of the high cost/outrageous claims of golf clubs, especially so in putters.  I can easily see a driver being more forgiving or longer.  I can see woods and hybrids launch balls higher, cut through rough and go further.  I can see wedges putting spin on balls and holding greens.  I can't see technology in putters doing anything for you to help lower scores.......UNTIL NOW!!!

When I saw the announcement for the testers wanted, I immediately applied for two reasons, 1) I wanted to prove or disprove so called putter technology.  I think paying $300+ for a putter is absurd by the way.  2) I have owned multiple Rife putters and really do like the way they roll the ball and have come to be known in my golf circle for well above average putting given my hdcp.  I must read greens pretty well and every putt seems to have a chance at going in and I very rarely 3 putt. That being said, I don't hole as much as I think I should for how many quality putts I hit on hole-able putts.  So seeing a Rife designed putter come up with some new technology, it was a perfect fit for me.  

The call came from Mr Rife himself a few days later to interview me for a fitting.  Wasn't sure how well you can fit someone for a putter over the phone but after talking to him about his experience, design history and track record, I didn't need anymore convincing that he has probably forgotten more about golf than I will ever know.  You can tell within minutes you are in deep water talking golf with a guy that has been designing putters longer than I have been alive.  He explained the groove technology and how it benefits the average golfer, he explained the difference in strokes and why some putters are better for others and since I counterbalance my putters he went through why it is I like it so much and why it helps me with short putts so much.  All cool information to have.  I knew I loved CB in putters and why I thought I loved it but it was cool to have him back me up on my perceptions. We will get back to that.  

Once the fitting part started, his first question was what putter I wanted.  I saw the styles in terms of performance so I asked him which one is the most idiot proof as that is what I would need.  His opinion/position was that the ER6 is the most accurate though in MGS test, the ER2 was most accurate.  I went with the ER2 as I do prefer the cleaner and classier look.  I see it has a bit of a stretched out anser style putter.

attachicon.gifIMG_20161218_172528.jpg

I was on the road when he called so I couldn't write down my specs but what I remember is this.  We established I am left eye dominant which I didn't know mattered and also established I do not forward press very much.  Certainly not Phil style.  Based off that I believe he gave me a 1* loft putter.  We made the length 34" and then stock build is with the Winn Pro 1.18 grip which I already use and then a 30 gram counterbalance weight that gets placed 1/2" down from end of grip.  I actually use a heavier counterbalance weight but this one actually feels great so that was nice.  Mr Rife told me that 30 grams is a good weight for a counter balance weight, anything over that is someone excessive and alters swing weight.  

attachicon.gifIMG_20161218_172626.jpg

Performance 

The day it arrived I took it out for a little putting green time.  The first thing I noticed was the feel.  Now feel to me is totally subjective but I will say at first it felt very different to me which is odd as the putter I was using was a rife as well so I expected similar feel.  The head itself in my opinion is buttery soft.  I first thought too soft but later realized that was not the case.  I did my normal pre round routine, I do around the world putting a ball from each "hour" on the clock from about 3 feet, 5 feet and 10 feet.  I noticed a lot of putts going in but I also noticed something about the feel.  So I said it was weird but that "weird" feeling turned to a dislike for a while until I realized what I was feeling.  The technology in EVNROLL putters is designed to reduce "miss" hit loss in direction and distance.  How that translated for me was weird.  The more I did it I realized what I was feeling was the actual technology in action.  I started to purposely miss hit putts to see how they were affected.  What I found is that though they felt terrible, they didn't react terrible.  I was hitting putts that felt like the equivalent of a bladed iron or fat wedge and yet they rolled online and ended within inches of the hole or in the bottom of the cup.  His technology is designed to produce a steady roll across the face of the putter so that a miss hit doesn't end up short and left or short and right.  What I got in this putter was the feedback we desire so that we know if we hit it good or bad but without the poor shot quality.  I still immediately knew I hit a terrible putt, made a terrible stroke at the ball yet the putt had a chance at going in the whole way.  What I saw was actual technology that overcomes my flaws. 

For testing in the spirit of MGS, I did a data test against my current putter.  I putted twelve balls placed at each hour position on a clock with both putters.  I did this from 3' 4' 5' 6' 8' 10' 12' and 15'.  That is 96 balls with each putter.  My results were eye opening.

Current putter: Rife Legend Z(modified with tungsten powder in head, 60 gram counterbalance under Winn Pro 1.18 grip.   

Current putter made putts from each distance.  

3'= 11 of 12                  

4'= 9 of 12

5'= 9 of 12

6'= 7 of 12

8'= 6 of 12

10'= 6 of 12

12'= 4 of 12

15'= 4 of 12

EVNROLL ER2

3'= 12 of 12

4'= 11 of 12

5'= 10 of 12

6'= 8 of 12

8'= 9 of 12

10'= 6 of 12

12'= 4 of 12

15'= 6 of 12       10 more 1 putts.   about an 11% decrease in total putts.  

Total performance is really surprising to me.  The technology present in the grooves produces such a true roll that the confidence you have standing over the ball completely changes your outlook on putting.  The 6 and 8 footers you wanted to make sure you didn't 3 putt, are now the make-able putts you are looking to lower your score with.  15 footers are tracking right to the very end.  I can't tell you how many of the missed putts with the EVNROLL were lip-outs.  Every putt I hit with it had at least a shadow over the hole.  Unless I completely misread the putt from the get go, all 96 putts had a legit shot at going in with a foot to go.  I didn't track miss distance but it was easy to see the ER2 putts were closer on misses. The roll it puts on a ball is second to none. I would love to see more slow motion videos of it hitting putts to see just how much faster it gets the ball rolling.  It feels noticeably faster and smoother.  

Total performance (58-60)

Looks and feel (25 out of 25)

It looks so clean and classy, nothing distracting, alignment aids are perfect size and color.  The head sets up nice and square.  The feel as I mentioned at first was a turnoff to me but as I got used to the putter and was able to translate the feel and results, I realized I was feeling a terrible putt on my part but getting great results for how bad I struck the ball.   To have groove and roll technology that is so good it gives you the feedback without the poor results is the only real breakthrough I can see in the putter industry.  Needless to say I am excited to see what this thing will do in the spring.  

Likelihood of purchase. (13 out of 15)

The hole up for me is whether being a casual golfer like me wants to pay $340 for a putter.  I am pretty tight with my money so maybe not today and I wouldn't get my money back because I don't really gamble or play tournaments.  That being said, if I have every hit a club worth dropping a premium on, this is it.  I shaved 10 strokes off my 96 putts, which translates to roughly 3 or 4 rounds of golf worth of putts for the average Joe.  That means about 2.5 to 3.3 putts per 18 holes.  To be able to buy that, I don't know another area you can do that in a golf bag.

Final thoughts.  

I really didn't think a putter could do anything for you.  I thought a putter was all about what you like the feel and look of and the rest was in your ability to make a good stroke and read greens.  Boy was I wrong.  Within a couple putts, you can tell that the technology in this putter can help your game today.  The truest roll a putter can put on the ball of any putter I have ever felt.  Anyone in the market should be at minimum having a nice long demo with one of these.  The hype is real with this one!!

Very well done Ben.  I liked the documented test from using the hour clock drill.   

Reading yours and thinking back on my testing and rounds, the lack of any distance loss on off center hits is really where this putter shines in my opinion.  It's just consistent around the hole, even on less than stellar strokes.  

You guys are awesome great reviews.

As an adendum I played yesterday and took 30 putts which is well below my average at Bayou.

If Kenny and Fix read this they will appreciate that I found myself in a similar position to where I four putter from on 1 last winter. I was more in the middle of the green on the wrong side of the ridge. It was an impossible putt. I got my first putt to 8 feet and calmly rolled the twisting come backer in for par.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Good Stuff Rev. We have a lot of the same thoughts on the ER5 we both tested.

It's good to see you adapted to the smaller head so well. That was one concern for me vs the X7M. But it's been a non issue and actually I like the compact look and feel a lot.

I was just looking at your review and noticed something in a picture.

It appeared that you had the ball positioned towards the tie a bit. Was that intentional, accidental or an optical illusion?

I'm asking because I have that same tendency with this putter. The nice thing is that I catch it and get aligned proerly because of the guide markings on the putter.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I was just looking at your review and noticed something in a picture.

It appeared that you had the ball positioned towards the tie a bit. Was that intentional, accidental or an optical illusion?

I'm asking because I have that same tendency with this putter. The nice thing is that I catch it and get aligned proerly because of the guide markings on the putter.

Good eyes Rev.   Actually that was intentional, and the picture posted at a different angle than I thought I had taken it.    And shame on me for not addressing the reason in the review, It got so long at one point, I skipped several notes I had written down.   

But looking back at my notes from the call with Guerrin Rife, if I wrote it down correctly, the reason for the 3 dots was to help in your alignment when you purposely want to strike the ball a bit out towards the toe, to take a bit off the putt, such as a slick down hill putt.  It was taught to me years ago that will help take some of the speed off fast down hill putt.  I believe he must have had that in mind as well with those dots.

If one of the the other testers spent anytime in talking to him about that dot and the thought behind it, maybe they will chime in. 

Good eyes Rev.   Actually that was intentional, and the picture posted at a different angle than I thought I had taken it.    And shame on me for not addressing the reason in the review, It got so long at one point, I skipped several notes I had written down.   

But looking back at my notes from the call with Guerrin Rife, if I wrote it down correctly, the reason for the 3 dots was to help in your alignment when you purposely want to strike the ball a bit out towards the toe, to take a bit off the putt, such as a slick down hill putt.  It was taught to me years ago that will help take some of the speed off fast down hill putt.  I believe he must have had that in mind as well with those dots.

If one of the the other testers spent anytime in talking to him about that dot and the thought behind it, maybe they will chime in. 

You got it correct CG2, the dots are there to allow for alignment whenyou want to go for the edge of the cup.  I have tried them on the green.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Am I correct in thinking that the alignment dots are designed to help make breaking putts?

I always thought it was like this:

(For a RH player)

Big left to right breaker, favor the inside dot.

Right to left swinger, favor outside dot.

Please correct me if I'm off base.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver: TM%20LOGO1_zpsiu5rjvgi.png Burner Superfast TP 9* Fuji TS Evolution II Speeder; X-Flex

3 Wood: PingLogo1_zps9tkzkolg.gif G Series 15* Tour 75g; S-Flex

Irons: callaway-logo1_zpshbc6azir.png2016 APEX MB 3-PW; KBS Tour; S-Flex; 1/2" Long, 1* upright 

Wedges: Vokey-Design-Wedges1_zpsf6xkz8xp.png 50* 54* 58* SM5, K Grind 

Putter: betti%20loho1_zpszxuq88tc.png Bettinardi SS9 DASS Prototype/Hexperimental

Am I correct in thinking that the alignment dots are designed to help make breaking putts?

I always thought it was like this:

(For a RH player)

Big left to right breaker, favor the inside dot.

Right to left swinger, favor outside dot.

Please correct me if I'm off base.

By jove, I think He's got it!

Yes that's exactly correct xstiffshafts. I'm fact I don't think that you would be able to go toe or heel to take a little off this putter as lots of us were taught to do to cheat down hillers in the old days. If anything Mr Rife told me he had to work at reigning in toe hits to the same distance as center hits.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Well, one good thing about my impending travel increase with a new job is I may actually happen to be in a town where a golf store has these in-stock! I'm really liking what I'm reading!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Stage 2 posted 

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Terrific reviews everyone! You've definitely given me the itch to try these out. I wish one of my local stores had them for demo.

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

Just read through all the stage 2's and you guys are doing a great job.  It's just making me more excited for my season to start so I can get my ER5 out on the greens.  Only another 2-4 months to go!

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Great job on the reviews!

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Here's hoping for the shorter end of that range Meyer!!!!!!

I'm very thankful that I'm able to play year round where I live and continue to remind that there is always an open invitation for anyone to play with the Rev and get the full Bayou experience.  Those greens will put any putter to the test. 

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I just read this thread for the first time, and in its entirety. Great job guys! I have one thing I'd like the reviewers to comment on. It appears that all of the reviewed models were counterbalanced. It is also unclear whether the reviewers' current models were CB. I switched to CB after I reviewed the TM Ghost Spider putter here on MGS a few years ago. To me, there is a HUGE difference between CB and non-CB putters, particularly on the longer putts. To me, it requires a different stroke. I'm a big fan of it, but I've noticed that I really can't switch between a CB and non-CB putter and have any distance control. Was the counterbalancing a significant factor for any of the reviewers? Or was it pretty much of a non-factor?

I have noticed that in the past few months, there have been far fewer CB models in the stores than there were after a burst of popularity a couple of years ago.

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

I just read this thread for the first time, and in its entirety. Great job guys! I have one thing I'd like the reviewers to comment on. It appears that all of the reviewed models were counterbalanced. It is also unclear whether the reviewers' current models were CB. I switched to CB after I reviewed the TM Ghost Spider putter here on MGS a few years ago. To me, there is a HUGE difference between CB and non-CB putters, particularly on the longer putts. To me, it requires a different stroke. I'm a big fan of it, but I've noticed that I really can't switch between a CB and non-CB putter and have any distance control. Was the counterbalancing a significant factor for any of the reviewers? Or was it pretty much of a non-factor?

I have noticed that in the past few months, there have been far fewer CB models in the stores than there were after a burst of popularity a couple of years ago.

Thats a great question....

My previous putter (TPA XVIII) was NOT counter balanced.  As stated in my review, I did have some issues with Longer putts (45 feet plus) but I don't think it was due to the counter balance weight.  If it was I adjusted very well without changing anything in my putting stroke.

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Ok, I'm going to have to go on my memory (which could be hazardous..ha) but I don't believe mine or actually any of the putters that came stock are counterbalanced.  i seem to recall Mr. Rife mentioning that is only done in longer length shafts such as 38" and also if I recall correctly, he's not a huge fan of it.   Kind of goes back to his statement of preferring the shortest shaft you can comfortably putt with, to avoid the extra length, weight and the distance it moves.    

If I'm mistaken about any of the EVENROll's being counterbalanced, I certainly hope someone that took better notes or has a better memory will chime in and correct me.

As for my previous putter, it is a Scotty Cameron X7M and it is not counterbalanced either as far as I'm aware. 

edit:  Please read the post below this, before raking me over the goals....ha

Ok, I just got off the phone with Mr. Rife.  So take everything I said in the above post and throw it in the thrash, or whatever you please.  I told you my memory was fuzzy.  LOL

But in my defense, I wasn't completely wrong.   So in short all the putters we recieved for the fourm testing were Counter Balanced, or as he prefers to call it back weighted.   He spent some time explaining to me where the counter balancing first originated, and it was for the players who were using such long putters that the weight needed to be added into the butt end of the shaft to bring the SW back to something resembling a D7, without it they were approaching E5 or more.

But my ER5 for example has a head weight of 355 which is heavier than the normal 340 head.  So this extra weight in the head is great for allowing control on short putts, but when you get to a longer putt it would play havoc with the feel of your stroke for such a long putt.  So he has back-weighted it with a 30g weight in the butt end. 

As for length he mentioned you are adding 8 SW's for each inch.  So in the example he gave a 355 head with a 34" shaft will come in at D7 but go to a 35" and it becomes an E8, thus thus the weight added.  

But he mentioned they (meaning EVNROLL) will machine the head to accomplish the back weighting as he refers to it, which again is just bringing the SW back to the desired level of D7.

After the conversation, I felt I learned  a bit more than I knew beforehand, but it also left me realzing how little I know about putters and club weights in general. 

He also asked how the testing was going for me and was very pleased to hear my results, I told him about the 60 footer I rolled in on my first attempt with the ER5, he laughed and said "end of testing" right...LOL

One caveat I will say we talked about the sound of the ER5 that has been discussed in the reviews.   He mentioned two  very well known European Tour players, both have played on recent Ryder Cup teams (I won't mention the names as I'm not sure  he or they wanted it mentioned publicly) that loved the ER5 but hated the sound, and said they just couldn't use it due to that.   He said it has been corrected in the 2017 model.    I"m very much looking forward to seeing and hearing that in Orlando in a couple weeks.   Again the sound was not a distraction or turnoff to me, but he realizes it is to some, and wanted to remove that element from the putter.