TESTERS WANTED! ×

My equipment matching OCD has been hurting my golf game

chershey

So several months back, I was in the market for a new driver and picked up a Cobra King LTD driver after getting good numbers on the launch monitor. It was a great driver, and a few week later I decided to get the matching 3 wood. While I thought the driver was great, my feelings for the 3 wood were leaning a lot more towards the LOVE side. It was one of the best 3 woods I'd ever hit. Some of my best shots were only 10-15 yards behind what I was getting out of the driver.

Then I did something really stupid....I hit a Ping G LS Tec driver and was getting ten extra yards of distance due to lower spin and launch (I hit the King LTD too high!). My OCD really wanted me to have a 3 wood that matched the driver, and I picked up a Ping G Stretch 3 wood (the really stupid part). On the course, using my GameGolf, it was 12 yards on average shorter than the King LTD, but hey, at least it matched (I'm an idiot if I didn't mention that).

Then I took my friend to our local golf fitting center because he wanted a new driver (mainly because he was tired of me outdriving him :) ). One of the guys that worked there had recently picked up a Callaway XR16 sub zero and let me give it a swing. I nervously teed it up, and while thinking "please, no sky marks, please, no sky marks!" over and over again I crushed it with a baby draw and loved everything about it. I picked one up on eBay for a good deal and have been averaging around 8 yards more than my Ping G LS Tec since I got it. Once again my OCD said "you need a matching 3 wood". So I went on Callaway Golf Preowned and picked up a XR16 3+ (14*) and it's been around 8 yards shorter than the Ping G (or 20 yards shy of the King LTD).

After reading an article on MGS about having variation in club manufacturers in your bag and seeing how many pros are using equipment from several companies, I finally came to my senses and put the King LTD bag in the bag. The result was exactly what I had seen previously which is 20 yards on average more distance from Cobra 3 wood set at 14.5*. I also hit every fairway I teed it up on.

Now that I've made this change, it makes me wonder what else I'm hurting my game with because I've tried to make my bag match. Putter is probably one area where I need to start taking a look at some of these new putter companies besides Odyssey, like EVNroll for instance.

My point with all of this is that MGS couldn't be more right! Consider all companies when making a new purchase. Don't get locked into only one manufacturer.

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

unless you're getting paid to use them, gotta go with whatever fits your game the best.....I fight the same problem though

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

I guess you can buy a better game.   :D   Sadly, for me I have found that it doesn't really matter that much which brand I go with; the distances are not all that different.  It's more of which club feels the best for me.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

For me, it's more about spin and launch angle. For some reason, with the Ping G and Callaway 3 woods, I was launching it too high and back spinning it like crazy. With the King LTD I'm getting a flatter trajectory and more carry/roll out. Those are also the reasons I'm getting more distance out of my driver. I probably could find a lower spinning/launching 3 wood in the Callaway line, that would be as long as the King LTD, but I don't think I would get as much forgiveness out of it. I was only hitting the Callaway 3 wood a whopping 2 yards further than my 18* hybrid which was hurting my gapping a bit. The King LTD solved that issue.

I used to be the same way, to the point I wouldn't hit a Taylormade driver because I didn't want to break up my Cobra or Callaway woods and Mizuno irons. I've gotten away from it, but my wife got to make fun of me recently when I had a bout of it return.

I have some of those neoprene iron covers with a Mizuno logo on then that I use when I walk to keep bag noise down. I haven't walked lately, but since moving onto a course I thought I'd do it more frequently. But now I have Bridgestone irons. And Mizuno covers can't possibly go on Bridgestone irons. They just can't.

You can imagine how that conversation went. Those covers are on my Bridgestones now. But I'm stalking eBay for some new Bridgestones.

Driver: Taylormade SLDR, Diamana Kai'li 70 

3 Wood: Callaway X Tour 15*

Hybrid: Bobby Jones 21* (Original)

Irons: Bridgestone J38 DPC 4-PW

Wedges: Scor 4161 52*, 57*

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport

Keep that Cobra in the bag and buy a new matching head cover when you switch drivers :)

Haha love it!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Ditch the matching equipment OCD and pick up best performance OCD :)

Then like Dave said invest in some matching headcovers and you won't have to look at the different OEM's when you see your bag

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Ditch the matching equipment OCD and pick up best performance OCD :)

Then like Dave said invest in some matching headcovers and you won't have to look at the different OEM's when you see your bag

Go the custom route so you will admire the head covers more than worry that they don't match.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Go the custom route so you will admire the head covers more than worry that they don't match.

Yeah, I switched to custom head covers months ago to make it harder for my wife to notice a new driver magically appearing in my bag every few months.

Henny stenny crushes that xr 3 wood..he barely uses a driver. Iv wanted one in my bag for awhile.

Sent from my iPhone while sitting at the 19th hole.

I thought Henrik Stenson's legendary 3 wood was an old school Diablo Octane Tour which lends more credence to sticking with what works.

I thought Henrik Stenson's legendary 3 wood was an old school Diablo Octane Tour which lends more credence to sticking with what works.

your right ..it was a 4 wood I guess he was hitting that's an xr

Sent from my iPhone while sitting at the 19th hole.

I have some of those neoprene iron covers with a Mizuno logo on then that I use when I walk to keep bag noise down. I haven't walked lately, but since moving onto a course I thought I'd do it more frequently. But now I have Bridgestone irons. And Mizuno covers can't possibly go on Bridgestone irons. They just can't.

You can imagine how that conversation went. Those covers are on my Bridgestones now. But I'm stalking eBay for some new Bridgestones.

... I tried head covers with my first set of Forged MB's and they were just too much trouble to put on take of and fall by my bag. I went to BagBoys revolver bag that locks clubs in place so they never touch and no noise. I have a remote controlled Motocaddy and they can clang clubs around pretty good so the Batboy has been a club head life saver. I also have a Ogio Silencer that does the same thing. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

... I tried head covers with my first set of Forged MB's and they were just too much trouble to put on take of and fall by my bag. I went to BagBoys revolver bag that locks clubs in place so they never touch and no noise. I have a remote controlled Motocaddy and they can clang clubs around pretty good so the Batboy has been a club head life saver. I also have a Ogio Silencer that does the same thing.

I've got an Ogio Grom stand bag that I've had for the past ten years or so and its been amazing. I've been looking at those silencers, might have to get one soon. That revolver looks interesting too.

And yes, I hate bag chatter on my forged irons. I don't care how headcovers make you look, it's worth protecting your investment. If either of those bags do the trick, though, I may let them go naked.

Driver: Taylormade SLDR, Diamana Kai'li 70 

3 Wood: Callaway X Tour 15*

Hybrid: Bobby Jones 21* (Original)

Irons: Bridgestone J38 DPC 4-PW

Wedges: Scor 4161 52*, 57*

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport

Archived