Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

VUGA Clothing and Apparel - High end, but low(er) cost...

GolfSpyC

• SPY VIP

VUGA

Let's be honest. Soft goods don't exactly move the needle. There are myriad reasons why that's the case, but suffice it to say, consumers just don't get those same giddy feelings when they're perusing the fall collection of brand "X" as they do awaiting the latest driver, whose embargoed photos leaked several months earlier.

But as much as this is about a new company and a differentiating technology, it's also serves as a proxy conversation for the continued movement away from mainline and toward the decidedly niche. We're seeing it in every corner of the industry (Snell, PXG, Toulon, Lambcrafted, XPHLEXXX, etc) and Chris Engel's venture, apparel and accessory company VUGA, it the most recent example.

VUGA? IS THAT REALLY A WORD?

Yes. It's a Zulu term used frequently by Nelson Mandela which loosely means "opportunity and new beginnings." In that context, it's more than a brand-name for Engel, a native South African, who spent the last decade working in product development for TaylorMade-Adidas.

Trent Classic Polo Royal.jpg

THE SKINNY:

VUGA (www.vugabrand.com) is a line of golf apparel and accessories created by an avid golfer for avid golfers. As a result, all of the pieces are meant to be worn and used on the course. The fact they can be enjoyed at the office or in a casual setting is a nice bonus. 

Jones Pocket Polo Lemon.jpg

Jake Glove White White.jpg

The style is decidedly classic, yet sophisticated. Don't expect any wild colors or designs. 

The overall quality is top shelf. From materials and design to functionality and finishing touches, VUGA is on par with other quality vendors (see: Peter Millar) and technologies (see: Gortex, Dri-Fit)

Declan Waterproof Jacket.jpg

The logo is meant to catch your eye, but not to detract from the product itself. Some companies are logo driven (think Under Armour) whereas others are product driven (think Footjoy).  It may seem like a distinction without a difference, but for Engel, everything he does is intentional.

SO WHAT'S DIFFERENT?

VUGA Tech for one. It's not so much about what the performance fabrics do (wick moisture, dry quickly) -  it's what they don't do. As in smell. Most anti-bacterial fabrics use some type of coating to repel odor causing bacteria. This coating eventually wears off and the garment takes on a permanent smell. Conversely, VUGA Tech uses a proprietary process which is inert in the yarn and lasts a lot longer. That's a huge difference. Suffice it to say, you will wear this shirt out before you "smell it out." 

Player Quilted Jacket.jpg

Engel understands as a small start-up, he can't afford any lags in order fulfillment or dropped balls with customer service. To that end, the initial product line is limited (expect to see pants/shorts and belts in the spring), but the online ordering process is simple and if it's on the site, it's available. 

What they lack in volume and economies of scale is more than offset by a leaner operation where major costs associated with advertising and player sponsorship are non-existent. In general, retail prices are 30%-40% less than competing brands of similar quality. 

Bottom Line:

I get it can be difficult to get excited about clothing, but like I said before, this isn't entirely about that. The bigger picture is Engel is traveling a path similar to other industry veterans, venturing out from the often-confined office space of large OEMs.  A leaner operation and control over the entire creative process should yield a variety of benefits for the consumer, not the least of which as a product line driven by primarily by quality rather than profit. The formula of “premium quality at reduced prices” is a nice calling card, but only insofar as the ability of the vendor to make good on both elements.

Declan Waterproof Jacket (2).jpg

Thus far, he's nailed it. The initial line effuses quality and when you look at what you're getting per dollar spent, the value is significant.

Jack Zip Mock Royal.jpg

Jake Glove White Grey.jpg

I don't think the prices are out of line with other major clothing brands initial releases.  I am not really a "performance fabric" kind of guy but I like the style of the polos and jackets.  

The website has no indication of sizing like most sites have, and I would never purchase anything online without knowing that the size is close to what I need.  I'm not paying return shipping to find out the correct size.  Today's clothing lines are ridiculous in their size variations.  Some brands XXL is other brands XL or maybe even L.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I have not looked at the prices, but, from what I see in the pics posted here, the design is very clean looking and very likable.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

• SPY VIP

I'm sorry, I don't understand. I just looked this stuff up and polos are $65. I know that's less than Nike, Adidas and others, but I can get nice polos that last year's for $25 or less.

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

In terms of quality, this is a step up from Nike/Adidas. They wear better and in my experience, last longer. More in line with something like Peter Millar which is priced well above the $65 mark of VUGA. 

Don't know if the typical bargain rack shopper is likely to be impressed by what VUGA offers. 

• SPY VIP

I don't think the prices are out of line with other major clothing brands initial releases.  I am not really a "performance fabric" kind of guy but I like the style of the polos and jackets.  

The website has no indication of sizing like most sites have, and I would never purchase anything online without knowing that the size is close to what I need.  I'm not paying return shipping to find out the correct size.  Today's clothing lines are ridiculous in their size variations.  Some brands XXL is other brands XL or maybe even L.  

That's great feedback - For me, the jackets/pullovers run a bit smaller than other brands, which I prefer if I'm wearing them on the course. So if you're between and like it to fit looser, go up a size. If your good with something a bit slimmer, stay with what you'd normally wear. Polos run pretty much true to size in my experience. 

• SPY VIP

Vuga is a terrible name..just saying.

Sent from my iPhone while sitting at the 19th hole.

How so?

I actually think it's kind of a cool story, but then again, I like history, world affairs and the backstory to companies, etc.

Nice clean lines, That blue zip mock is sweet, as are all the jackets. I know BarbaJo loves himself a nice mock. Where's Zinger for a full MGS review??

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

• SPY VIP

Nice clean lines, That blue zip mock is sweet, as are all the jackets. I know BarbaJo loves himself a nice mock. Where's Zinger for a full MGS review??

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I've had a chance to work through most of the line - It's solid all the way around. Current fav piece might be the quilted jacket.

How so?

I actually think it's kind of a cool story, but then again, I like history, world affairs and the backstory to companies, etc.

I have no problem with the name and think it's pretty cool that he is using a term that means something to him and also represents what he is doing (a new beginning for himself).

2016 M1 10.5 Fujikura Pro 60 Stiff
Callaway X2Hot 3W Aldila RIP Stiff
Callaway X2Hot 19° Matrix Radix S7 Stiff 
Ping i25 4i-PW KBS Stiff (soft-stepped)
Titleist SM7 52 8° F Stiff
Titleist SM7 56 8° M Stiff
Titleist SM7 60 4° L Stiff
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 34" Superstroke Flatso 2.0
Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 grips
Snell MTB Red (Optic Yellow)
Powerbilt TPS Cabretta Tour Glove
Callaway RAZR Laser

I really like the blue jacket shown, might have to look into that one.

Callaway RAZR Laser

The product line looks great! As long as the quality is there, I would buy it.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Are the jackets more of a slim fit?  I have wide shoulders and I have a round shaped belly but I'm not what would be considered fat by most. I normally wear an XL but slim fitting clothes are tight around my midsection. 

Callaway RAZR Laser

I like the clean lines. Nothing flashy but just classy!

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

Archived