TESTERS WANTED! ×

Why do you play the clubs you play?

cnosil

On most forums we see comparisons of new clubs and today on instagram and twitter MGS posted a question on which wedge you would play.   So why do you play what you play and what criteria do you use to knock a club out of your bag?     Do you just pick what looks good?  Do you buy the latest and greatest?  Do you have a process for selection such as side by side on launch monitors?  And finally is your process the same throughout your bag (Driver to putter and everything in between).

For me:

Driver through irons - Usually instore comparison on a launch monitor against the club(s) I am replacing.  Most stores have a launch monitor so this is pretty easy.

Wedges - Generally I just pick a brand and go with specific lofts.  I had previously thought about bounce but after struggling with my current wedges,  I read the blog post about picking wedges that are best for you.   Dramatically changed my short game.  Brand will still vary,  lofts will be what fits with the current set, but bounce will typically be low to mid.  

Putter - Would love to do comparison on a Puttlab with all putters but that won't work since they are rarely if ever available in a store.   I always carry a dime and attempt to roll the ball over the dime to find the putter that I can start on line the best.  Don't change putter and there has to be a perceived performance improvement for me to put something different in the bag.

So ultimately I am performance based.  I want clubs in my bag that will help me play my best no matter what they look like.     I use websites and reviews as starting points,  but in the end how the club performs for someone else isn't going necessarily help me out.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to have things look right... no matter what the numbers are, I can't feel confident looking down at a huge shovel.

I'm comfortable fitting myself, and buy/sell a lot of clubs. I usually try anything that looks good, and if it's better than what I have, it goes in the bag.

This past year, the Cobra King LTD driver went in my bag.

Woods? Don't use them...

Hybrids? Can't do it.

Irons? I've tried several, but the Titleist 712MB's just can't be beat.

Wedges - still playing 2009 Vokeys. Tried several (scor, cobra, nike, etc.) and even newer vokeys don't compare.

I'm a putter ho, but never stray far from my Cameron Studio Design 1 or 2. Tons of putters have challenged, none have taken the throne.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I was really bad at golf, loved playing but shooting in the 120s was a norm with a good overal tour of the course.  I enjoyed the game and decided to take lessons, then used my last lesson for a fitting for my current irons Mizuno JPX 800 PRO. They provided the best combination of feel, distance and dispersion. After reading around on MGS, i saw a review of the Mizuno MP T11 wedges and trialed them at the local shop/range against some other wedges and loved the feel and control. 

I waited over the course of a few months to save up and bought my irons and a set of KBS Tour X-stiff shafts used on eBay, and built my iron set myself. Then i waited a few more weeks, and found the wedge set i wanted and bought those used as well. 

As for my longer clubs, I trialed the Cobra AMP driver and hybrid versus others, loved them and found each on eBay. I demoed several fairways at the range and was 50/50 on the Cobra AMP versus Tour Edge CB4  and decided to get all matchy-matchy and bought the AMP 3 wood from Golf Smith. 

The fairway was my FAVORITE club for a long time, able to bomb it off the tee as well as the fairway. At the range one night with a buddy, I was very stupid and decided to do a 1 arm swing, saying just before " if i break this club i'm gonna be so pissed." Setting myself up, i hit the shaft on the range divider and *SNAP*, that was it. I tried to replace the shaft but it was never the same. 

I decided that I wanted to new Driver since I had never been fit for it, and did a Cobra fitting at a local demo day and ended up with my current driver. After my fitting, i sold my driver and fairway to defer the costs of my new toys. I found a CB4 4 wood on craigslist for $25 and picked that up as well and changed out the shaft for an X-stiff ( thanks MGS classifieds) r

Since i was upgrading my driver and fairway, i decided to do my hybrid as well, and found a smoking deal on a Wilson FG 3 Tour and picked that up, then upgraded the shaft to a Aldila "Tour" Phenom in x-stiff. 

I also upgraded my wedge shafts to KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 in x-stiff and have been loving those. 

Putter- i was a pretty good putter  ( i think) using a Golden Bear blade, but began to to short putts, so after talking to a friend, decided to go mallet hunting. I laughed the first time i saw the Odyssey 2-ball Backstyke at a golf shop after a round, but was very surprised at its accuracy for me. A few months later, it was in the bag.  

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

I pick all my clubs based on what allows me to shoot my lowest scores.  Sets get tweaked and things get changed, but if it can't help me shoot lower it doesn't stay in the bag...period.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I play what I play because I can't afford to change them. I initially hit a few different irons on a launch monitor with different shafts. I settled on what I play because stuff has to appeal to my eye, as well as work. I play Mizuno MP64's. They are more than likely too much club for me, but the simple execution of line and absence of "fancy" appeals to me. I hit them just fine, although I'm sure a more GI iron would suit me better. Oh well.................

Good question. I've always loved hitting irons. My Grandparents had a very large farm and the golf clubs were kept in the barn. I'd go grab an old blade and 5 gallon bucket of old beat up balls and go hit them out into the field, then go pick them up and do it again.

Being all my clubs of my youth were old blades, I really can't look at a wide sole iron or one that has tons of offset. I like a compact head without much offset a thinner sole, I just understand that better. Psychological, if I try hitting a wide sole iron I feel the club will bounce off the turf and I'll skull every shot. I'm sure with a few range sessions or two I'd adjust but I just like classic looking smaller iron heads, cavity or blade.

For driver, I look for whatever got high marks 3 or 4 years ago. You can easily get 90% of the performance of the latest and greatest for a 1/4 of the price.

For wedges it was trail and error until I realized I like high bounce.

My fairway wood is a Nicklaus Air Max 3 wood I picked up at least 15 years ago, can't even remember where I got it, but it's my money club. 240 or so off the deck and a nice safe option off the tee as well.

Putter, whatever works. I have a 1950's blade putter I used for years. I lost a bit of confidence in it so bought a new Rife Two Bar. I'm not sure I putt any better with the technologically advanced putter so go figure.

I have a beautiful set of KZG Forged irons but I have to say I've been hitting my 1992 Macgregor CB92's better than my KZG's. Vanity and and the money spent is keeping the KZG's in the bag over the Macgregors at this point, but both sets work for me.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

For me it is all about looks and feel. By saying looks I mean it has to fit my eye. Might not be the prettiest. I pick a club on the performance I get from it. Even though i do lean towards older Macgregor irons and older Cleveland wedges I am not die hard brand loyal. You are subject to see any thing in my bag at any time

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

For me it is all about looks and feel. By saying looks I mean it has to fit my eye. Might not be the prettiest. I pick a club on the performance I get from it. Even though i do lean towards older Macgregor irons and older Cleveland wedges I am not die hard brand loyal. You are subject to see any thing in my bag at any time

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Do not know how I double posted

G

I read all the info posted here by everyone. I try to figure out what are my weaknesses and make educated decisions based on what I feel I need. The king Ltd driver, with my touredge exotics cb4 3 wood and the Snell MTB have enabled me to reach all 4 par 5's at my local club (never been able to). The irons need to look as good as they feel and fly the distances I have in mind for each club. What I am using right now are incredible. Great feel with the xtd forged irons. A little change in delivery and I'm hitting them as far or farther than ever before. The wedges are funny. I had already tried them and did not like them at all. I read up on shafts and went with the Scor Wedges with genius shafts and they have been fantastic. My putter is and will probably be, if anything, the last club I ever get rid of. Perfect at address, great feel and with the addition of the superstroke ultra slim, very accurate. Odyssey metal-x #6

Sent from my XT1563 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9* Upright setting, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, New grip coming

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, New grip coming

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, New grip coming                                  

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:           :titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

For me honestly I play the gear I have because it works, I don't go out of my way to do brand loyalty but I won't lie I am glad that Hogan's are the ones that work.

As far as selection process it's pretty much the same wedge through driver. I look for forged clubs with control and trajectory above all when it comes to irons and wedges. For looks I prefer a smaller blade style heads.

Driver and metals I favor distance slightly but I'm a relatively straight metal player too so I'm looking for all the yards I can there. As long as it ain't too flashy looks don't matter too much here.

Putter selection is all look and feel, if I set up to the ball and see my line then that's all that matters, I do prefer a blade style putters though.

Always Function Over Form.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

I have to have things look right... no matter what the numbers are, I can't feel confident looking down at a huge shovel.

I'm comfortable fitting myself, and buy/sell a lot of clubs. I usually try anything that looks good, and if it's better than what I have, it goes in the bag.

This past year, the Cobra King LTD driver went in my bag.

Woods? Don't use them...

Hybrids? Can't do it.

Irons? I've tried several, but the Titleist 712MB's just can't be beat.

Wedges - still playing 2009 Vokeys. Tried several (scor, cobra, nike, etc.) and even newer vokeys don't compare.

I'm a putter ho, but never stray far from my Cameron Studio Design 1 or 2. Tons of putters have challenged, none have taken the throne.

I agree - if the clubs don't loom right at address I just can't swing. Probably why I'll always stick to a forged club with a slimmer topline. Just pure aesthetics.

Driver: Taylormade SLDR, Diamana Kai'li 70 

3 Wood: Callaway X Tour 15*

Hybrid: Bobby Jones 21* (Original)

Irons: Bridgestone J38 DPC 4-PW

Wedges: Scor 4161 52*, 57*

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport

The biggest factor in what I play is cost. I play the clubs that are the mist appearing to my eye and that suit my game...that I can afford.

I got a great deal on a mint SLDR with a real deal shaft in it. One of the few drivers I've pt head to head with my old Cobra on a launch monitor that actually produced better numbers.

My irons were the same way. I was looking at used irons at PGA Superstore and found the set that fit me the best and looked good.

As far as wedges, I refuse to play anything but Scor. When the time comes to replace them I'll buy Hogan's, and they'll probably be one of the few clubs I buy new. I love the V-sole versus the multitude of bounce options out there. Too much going on with all that bounce.

I've played the same putter for 10+ years, a custom Cameron Studio Style Newport 2. Never even tried to replace it. I'm looking at buying an Odyssey 7H for Christmas simply because my wife purchase one and I love it.

At the end of the day if I can afford it, it's pretty, and it fits me, it'll stay in my bag for a long time.

I read all the info posted here by everyone. I try to figure out what are my weaknesses and make educated decisions based on what I feel I need. The king Ltd driver, with my touredge exotics cb4 3 wood and the Snell MTB have enabled me to reach all 4 par 5's at my local club (never been able to). The irons need to look as good as they feel and fly the distances I have in mind for each club. What I am using right now are incredible. Great feel with the xtd forged irons. A little change in delivery and I'm hitting them as far or farther than ever before. The wedges are funny. I had already tried them and did not like them at all. I read up on shafts and went with the Scor Wedges with genius shafts and they have been fantastic. My putter is and will probably be, if anything, the last club I ever get rid of. Perfect at address, great feel and with the addition of the superstroke ultra slim, very accurate. Odyssey metal-x #6

Sent from my XT1563 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I have always been a proponent of play what works for you period. Funny you mentioned the Scor wedges. I work for a metal recycling company and find quite a few clubs on the yard. Last year I found 2 Scor wedges in fact I mentioned it on here because I know RevKev is a big Scor fan. these wedges were brand new never hit with the Genius shafts. I tried them and did not like them. Man I had 3 people wanting to buy them so I sold them. They just did not work for me. Nothing wrong with them they did not work for me. I have mostly played blade irons all my life and the newest blades I ever owned were a set of MP-33s. Now I did play CBs and GI irons some when I was doing R&D work for Championship Golf with the Infiniti brand of clubs but I was being paid for doing so. Now lately I have been experimenting with a set of 2013 Callaway Forged X CB "blades" they are the only CBs I could hit and get feel and can work the ball with. So I MAY change the front line set don't know yet. I mean I am getting older and do not play or practice as much as I used to 

G

I feel I should clarify my post - it's funny how much actually goes into this when you think about it!

I mentioned going back to vokey wedges after trying scor's. Those scors were in my bag for months and I loved them - just didn't have the spin control of the vokeys. I like to tinker, so I put the vokeys on the grinder and reshaped the sole similar to the scor v-sole. Took a little trial and error, but I ended up with the best of both.

I also agree with several others - I like the look and feel of a blade - grew up on them, and that's it for me. I like to move the ball side to side as well as control my trajectory, and for me, the 712mb's are the best fit.

I took a chance with my irons and hybrids and bought them and shafts and made them myself...love them. I just changed the shafts for graphite due to falling out of love with what I had in them. This time I actually demoed shafts and went with what I hit the best and felt the best.

I play SCOR wedges and reason is because I won an Eidolon (precursor to SCOR) on another site and it was the best wedge that I'd hit, so I ordered 2 more. Once I changed my irons I had to get new wedges because the lofts were not right for consistent gaping and of course the choice was easy...new SCORs.

My driver and 3 wood was easy, I was fitted for them because I got them as a tester this year through this site. They work well for me.

So far, it;s a case of I've been lucky to have gotten clubs that just work for my game and swing.

The putter, I bought that new in 2007 and have no intention of replacing it any time soon...unless I can find $300 for an EVNroll ER1 or 2.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Well that's a good question with a lot of different answers

Driver-I got this free through work. There were only a couple of options through our work store and I researched the options on MGS as well as the standard review sites around the web and YouTube. Finally settled on the Ping Anser of the Adams XTD.

Fairways and hybrids- my Adams 3 wood I got for $15 thinking it wouldn't stick but brand new at that price couldn't pass it up. I had just bought a cobra bio cell 3W and it just didn't stick even though it cost a lot more. Just didn't fit my eye like the Adams did.

Irons - once again got a deal(I think there is a pattern) I was also wanting all Nike clubs at the time which I now am all mixed up.

Wedges - all looks for me in this spot I shop both deals and pricier but if I hate the way it looks probably won't be in the bag. I've played $5 wedges over $100 wedges bases on how it looks. That said love my vokey 58* love my macdaddy2 56* and going to be tough to kick those out the bag. Just got a Nike Gap 50* that matches my irons because it was cheap so we will see if it sticks

Putter - went a little different with this I tested several putters before buying my first and went with an Odyssey. When I changed my putting grip I knew I liked Odyssey so just looked for a deal again so two different approaches

Now that I have written this I guess I buy based on price then if it makes the bag great if not it goes to my backup sets. Making bag is performance based but it is more about my confidence hitting it.

Let me preface this whole thing by saying that last year I was put on staff with a company. It doesn't mean that my process changed, it just limited my options, which for me might not have been such a bad thing :)

When I was younger, I couldn't hit a driver and simply played a 2 iron throughout high school. When I finally figured out how to hit a driver, I simply tested out a ton of drivers on the range. I didn't really know anything about launch or spin, I simply looked for what felt good and what went the farthest. I ended up with a Titleist 905R and a Cobra X Speed Pro in this manner. As I started to work in the industry, I began to be a lot more technical. The numbers had to match up and I wouldn't have taken my staff deal if the driver didn't work. If I don't drive it well, I'm not scoring.

The fairway (that I never hit) and hybrid that I bagged for years, went through the same process. With the hybrid I have now, I did something that I've never done. The shaft options were very limited for the hybrid I wanted to try and I'm always leery of just hoping that things work when I put them together. So I tried a similar weight of the shaft I wanted in a Titleist hybrid and I loved it. It took some tinkering, but I love it now.

I've only ever owned 5 iron sets (I'm 33), including the set I got last year. I started with a garage sale set of Tony Pennas and I was gifted a set of Tommy Armour 845s. No fittings, just standard everything. The first set I was fit for was a college graduation present and they were Titleist 735s. It was a small shop with a launch monitor and I was fit to +1" (I'm 6') and standard lie. I gamed them for 10 years and I loved them. For the first set I was going to buy myself, it took me months of testings, comparisons and looking at numbers. I wanted the S55s with the C-Taper 130s; I could have thrown a blanket over the good shots and misses, but it came down to money and the Callaway Apex Pros went in the bag. I gamed them for a year and liked them before my staff deal came into effect (one year too late right? Lol).

Wedges have always come down to short game spin. I like playing with loft and spin. I kept the Tour Edge Exotics Xtreme spin in the bag forever. They had the elastomer behind the face (think PXG) and interchangeable weights. I don't like the look of lead tape so I could make them heavy and keep the clean look. More recently I've noticed that I love low grind wedges because I get out of the sand and can pick anything clean.

If you haven't figured it out yet, I'm a creature of habit. I was given a Carbite (anyone remember them?) blade putter when I was in high school and used it for years. Then after four or five trips to Golfsmith, and making everything, I had a Rife Aussie in the bag for about 12 years. I struggled for a couple summers with it so I cut some length off and tried a super stroke grip and that helped. I did spend some time on the SAM puttlab and the Quintec and that really opened my eyes to how much arc was in my stroke. If you've never done a putter fitting with either of those machines, I would highly recommend it. It was both humbling and eye opening. My staff putter is working pretty well now, but I'm on the hunt for something more permanent. I think that about sums it up!

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

I SUPPOSE THE 'EASY' ANSWER IS THAT I CAN HIT EACH OF MY CLUBS PRECISELY THE WAY I WANT TO HIT IT!

Seriously though, for me it's all about PERFORMANCE!  

I am extremely meticulous about my clubs!  To make my bag, (and stay in it), a club must allow me to hit consistently good golf shots to achieve, (and continue to deserve), my utmost confidence!  I have customized many of my clubs to ensure the performance of each is precisely where I want it to be, with zero tolerance for any compromises!

It has taken quite some time to get everything exactly right, but each and every club in my set, (shown below), currently meets, (or exceeds), my very demanding performance expectations, so no changes are planned, or expected in 2017!..  :)

Happy Holidays! 

What's in Bobcat's Bag?  (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)

Driver: :taylormade-small: 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s, (1/2" tip)

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Tour issue 15* V-Steel 3W - Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff

Fairway/Hybrid: :taylormade-small: 15* Rescue Fairway "3-Strong" - VP-90 Stiff 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: #3 (19*) & #4 (22*) Rescue-Mid TP's - Vista Pro 90 Stiff 

Driving Irons: :taylormade-small: UDI #1 (16*) & #3 (20*) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff

Iron Set: :taylormade-small: SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff

Hybrid Wedges: :cleveland-small: 2011 Niblicks 42*PW, 49*DW, 56*SW - Stock

SW/LW: :cleveland-small: CG-16 Black Pearl 58* Low Bounce 8* - Stock Steel Shaft

Putter: :bettinardi-small: BBX-81 Blade - Stock Bettinardi Steel Shaft 

I'm like this topic...

When I was looking to purchase my latest set of irons I decided first to seek out a top notch fitter. I also wanted to "try" something different. What different meant to me was taking a hard look at non-retail brands such as Wishon, Alpha, KZG, etc. I ended up settling on Wishon. I have never been more pleased with any set of irons. I would probably say the same thing if I'd bought a different non-retail brand. They're all good. I just wanted to play something no one else played. However, with any clubs it always in my opinion boils down to the fit.

I play Wishon 771csi irons 4i through PW. I was also fit for three Wishon wedges. 52,56, 60. Each of them are the PCF Micro-tour design. I also carry a 2014 TaylorMade SLDR, a Wishon 929HS 16.5* fairway wood, and an Edel Willamette putter. Aside from the SLDR each of my clubs are custom fit and built.

I'm not sure why guys don't play more of the non-retail brands of clubs. I suppose it's because most people only pay attention to what's on the rack or in magazines. They're all good clubs for sure. But there's a whole other world out there if you look.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

For years I'd read reviews, try new clubs when they'd come out, shop eBay for deals on clubs that "sounded good," etc.  I'm still willing to try new stuff, but until the past few years it was really difficult to find more than a "stock, in-shop fitting cart" fitting in my area.  The fitters were basically store clerks, with varying ideas on how to fit.  I had fun, found a few clubs that I still bag, but First Tee and the Boys & Girls Club have a lot more of those clubs now, than I do ;)

Now that I've had 2 fittings at 2nd Swing and one at Totally Driven, I don't think I'll ever make any kind of a major change to my bag without a "real fitting."  I might still replace a couple of fairway/hybrid shafts on my own, just to match what seems to be working best, but that's about all the "club hoe'ing I plan to do.

I never even really considered Ping clubs, mostly because I didn't care for the way they looked to me, but surprisingly enough, after being fit for irons and wedges, that's what I've got in the bag and without finding a quality fitter, I'd never have considered them.

I dented my Titleist 910-D2 driver head this year and it's not performing as well as it did before, so before I replace it, I'll get a ftting setup with Thomas at 2nd Swing before I make a decision.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

I was selected to review them, built to my specs and they have performed. So that's why they are in my bag....Cobra F6

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

For me it's all about PERFORMANCE!  

I am extremely meticulous about my clubs!  To make my bag, (and stay in it), a club must allow me to hit consistently good golf shots and therefore deserve my utmost confidence!  I have customized many of my clubs to ensure the performance of each is precisely where I want it to be, and allowed no compromises!

Took quite awhile to get everything exactly right, but each club in my set, (shown below), currently meets or exceeds my very demanding performance expectations, so no changes are planned, or expected for 2017...  :)

Happy Holidays! 

You do it exactly like I do it too get it to my specs--- And I see you still have the V-Steel in the bag--- My V-Steel 7 wood or the 9 wood is going back in the bag. The only thing that kicked the 7 wood out was the Adams 5 wood but the 4 iron in the X-13s is coming out and either the 7 or 9 wood is going in to replace it

G

I'm like this topic...

When I was looking to purchase my latest set of irons I decided first to seek out a top notch fitter. I also wanted to "try" something different. What different meant to me was taking a hard look at non-retail brands such as Wishon, Alpha, KZG, etc. I ended up settling on Wishon. I have never been more pleased with any set of irons. I would probably say the same thing if I'd bought a different non-retail brand. They're all good. I just wanted to play something no one else played. However, with any clubs it always in my opinion boils down to the fit.

I play Wishon 771csi irons 4i through PW. I was also fit for three Wishon wedges. 52,56, 60. Each of them are the PCF Micro-tour design. I also carry a 2014 TaylorMade SLDR, a Wishon 929HS 16.5* fairway wood, and an Edel Willamette putter. Aside from the SLDR each of my clubs are custom fit and built.

I'm not sure why guys don't play more of the non-retail brands of clubs. I suppose it's because most people only pay attention to what's on the rack or in magazines. They're all good clubs for sure. But there's a whole other world out there if you look.

I would love the opportunity to try 'non retail' clubs. I've hit a few at a great fitter in Euless, TX, just haven't had the funds available to spring for the fitting and clubs.

I'm excited for the day my entire bag is truly custom fit from driver through wedge, as opposed to the closest approximation found piecemeal.

You do it exactly like I do it too get it to my specs--- And I see you still have the V-Steel in the bag--- My V-Steel 7 wood or the 9 wood is going back in the bag. The only thing that kicked the 7 wood out was the Adams 5 wood but the 4 iron in the X-13s is coming out and either the 7 or 9 wood is going in to replace it

I would kill to have my old 16.5* V Steel bag! I'm constantly scouring eBay and the like in search of one, but I can only find 3 and 5 woods. One day one will pop up...

I'm like this topic...

I can answer your last question in two parts

First off most golfers are not as overall educated on the game or equipment as us MGSers are. they go by mainstream companies with plenty of advertising dollars on the GC or in print. Also they may go with what their favorite Pro MAY play on tour. Notice I said MAY. They do not know anything about custom built quality clubs as in Wishon or KZG. Heck I have seen some guys at bag drops that are supposedly going through the PGM program think Miura clubs are some kind of off brand

Second thing is local builders. If you have a strong local builder you may have more quality custom component clubs around your area. And the brand depends on the builder. My one buddy that sold his shop was a builder for Wishon , KZG, Infiniti and SMT. So we have quite an influx. Now my other buddy is an Miura and Alpha dealer. Really depends on the area and what a builder promotes and also how good they build them

G

I would kill to have my old 16.5* V Steel bag! I'm constantly scouring eBay and the like in search of one, but I can only find 3 and 5 woods. One day one will pop up...

Never have seen a 16.5 V steel but then again I never knew the 9 wood (24*) existed until a buddy of mine mentioned it one night on WRX. He actually had 3 of them and gave me one.

G

I would love the opportunity to try 'non retail' clubs. I've hit a few at a great fitter in Euless, TX, just haven't had the funds available to spring for the fitting and clubs.

I'm excited for the day my entire bag is truly custom fit from driver through wedge, as opposed to the closest approximation found piecemeal.

Now I can give you another viable option. Super Tune as I call it your existing irons. All the clubs in my Signature are custom even though they are brand name they have just been modified by me for me. Do not let some of the "stock" shafts fool you because they have been tuned for frequency and splined. I also have different weight placements via lead tape in different clubs to get them where I want them. My Titleist driver is a good example. I found out the A-2 setting was correct for me. After confirming that we pulled the adaptor and realigned the shaft to fit that setting. That club is so balanced that if you move it one notched it will throw the shaft balance and frequency off

G

Now I can give you another viable option. Super Tune as I call it your existing irons. All the clubs in my Signature are custom even though they are brand name they have just been modified by me for me.

I'll have to check that out Stu! Thanks!

Now I can give you another viable option. Super Tune as I call it your existing irons. All the clubs in my Signature are custom even though they are brand name they have just been modified by me for me.

I haven seen one either for quite a while, that's the problem! My guess is they weren't produced in the same quantity as standard lofts; that or everybody loves the one they have and ain't selling!

Archived