Testers Wanted! AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Why do you play the clubs you play?

cnosil

My current set of Cobra F6 irons are now sitting in my closet. Why? Because I wanted to try a Combo set that I acquired from assembling my SCOR irons 41/45/49/53/57 and paired them with Mizuno JPX800 forged 6/7/8. This gives me a set of forged irons with 4* gaps between them. I am trying out the SCOR/Hogan philosophy of the 4* gap. The Mizunos have Project X 5.0 graphite shafts while the SCORs have steel. After getting them adjusted to 2* Flat, I have been very pleased with their outcome. The Mizunos are about 3* weaker, so I added a Mizuno JPX800HD 5 Hybrid to give me the distance I needed(150-165 yds). I then have a Cobra King F6 Baffler set to 19*(5 wood), a Cobra F6 3 wood at 14.5* and a Cobra Bio Cell 2-3 Hybrid set to 19*. My flat stick is the EVNROLL E6. When the USGA approved sole plates arrive from Wilson, the Triton will finish the bag.

I want to see if I can play better with 4 Wedges(SCOR) rather than the 3 wedge set in the Cobra F6 irons set.

All in all, I am just experimenting for awhile, knowing I can go back to the Cobras and still have a pretty solid game.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My current set of Cobra F6 irons are now sitting in my closet. Why? Because I wanted to try a Combo set that I acquired from assembling my SCOR irons 41/45/49/53/57 and paired them with Mizuno JPX800 forged 6/7/8. This gives me a set of forged irons with 4* gaps between them. I am trying out the SCOR/Hogan philosophy of the 4* gap. The Mizunos have Project X 5.0 graphite shafts while the SCORs have steel. After getting them adjusted to 2* Flat, I have been very pleased with their outcome. The Mizunos are about 3* weaker, so I added a Mizuno JPX800HD 5 Hybrid to give me the distance I needed(150-165 yds). I then have a Cobra King F6 Baffler set to 19*(5 wood), a Cobra F6 3 wood at 14.5* and a Cobra Bio Cell 2-3 Hybrid set to 19*. My flat stick is the EVNROLL E6. When the USGA approved sole plates arrive from Wilson, the Triton will finish the bag.

I want to see if I can play better with 4 Wedges(SCOR) rather than the 3 wedge set in the Cobra F6 irons set.

All in all, I am just experimenting for awhile, knowing I can go back to the Cobras and still have a pretty solid game.

Good luck with the experiment Foz. Knowing the glowing review you gave the F6's when I was looking at them to upgrade, I know the new combo must be treating you well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Good luck with the experiment Foz. Knowing the glowing review you gave the F6's when I was looming at them to upgrade, I know the new combo must be treating you well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Thanks jlew, I really like the SCOR irons and love the feel when I strike the ball.......what the northerners say..."it feels like butta"

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I play what I play because Im old!

Pretty much couldnt get the trusty Hogans out there anymore without a serious refit on them.

Found a set of really clean r7's. Offset was tough at first but they whip nice for me.

Love the old 588 TG wedges and the Odyssey stays too.

Got a Bridgestone J40 445 and put a Fujikura on it, both per MGS, and building some woods now. Like the KZG's for a build there.

I have an eye opening experience one day several years ago. I went out as a single and got paired with a guy who was in his mid 50s. He played a 4 year old driver 1 fairway wood and an old set of cobra irons and played a DT Solo. It was poetry in motion. He hit everything pure and to the right distance every time. He was always pin high and never short sided. Shot the smoothest 69 I have ever seen. I asked him why he did not ever change being a bit of an equipment geek. He showed me his card that had him 4 under through 16. Lesson learned and I headed this mans advice.

It is all down to what I score with best. I have always gone by the advice to play the most game improvement club you can look at. So when I got fit for irons I went with the JPX 850 (came from CG7 Tours) due to small amount of offset and playability. For Driver I went with best numbers and sound (recently to the 17 M1 460). For fairway woods and hybrids I did a little research and went with what was in the pro shop at our course. Ended up with the F6 3 & 5 and 4H. I have always been a vokey guy for wedges and that is why I stick with them even though I think the SM6 (50 & 54) are the best ones around. I have a 58* scratch wedge with a project x 5.5 shaft I found in the used bin at a golf shop and will use it until the grooves are gone and have bought 2 extra heads of off the bay to replace when the time comes. Putter will never change.

The equipment I use were a gift from the wife for Christmas, a birthday or the anniversary.   In those instances, she knows to go to the local golf shop where my buds know my specs and what I like.   She knows that she can't go wrong with golf stuff, just like I know I can't go wrong with something that she can wear on her ears, around her neck or on a finger and it sparkles.   So as it relates to equipment, I wait a sufficient time where I can mention the impact of new technology and my buds at the golf shop can confirm.   

... I think there are 3 reasons to buy new clubs. 1) You think there is better performance out there and are willing to try new clubs to find it. 2) You only buy new clubs when your old clubs wear out or start letting you down. 3) You just enjoy new clubs for a different feel or look or you just like trying new clubs! This category does not necessarily think there will be a performance increase but are occasionally surprised to find one. 

... I would be 3) because I review new clubs from the PGA Show every year for the past 10. A shoulder injury stopped me this year and honestly I didn't miss it after changing clubs every year. It has been fun but it did take a toll on my game every spring. I choose my club based on look at address and performance. Feel and sound can be the deciding factor for me, but I will play a club that looks good and performs well if it doesn't sound/feel like I prefer. Those clubs are always in danger of being replaced. 

... Driver. I fell in love with the Fly Z at the Show and was very pleasantly surprised to find it performed on the course as well or better than the range. Mid high flight with low spin for max carry and plenty of roll. I went to the F6 last season, but after a few months put the Z back in the bag because I liked the look and sound/feel better as they performed equally. I rotated a LTD in and out of the bag but never 2 rounds in a row and will give it a legit shot to make the bag this spring. I will not hesitate however, to put the Z back in after giving the LTD a shot. The Z is my favorite driver of all time and the combination of forgiveness, accuracy, trajectory and spin is just about perfect for me. 

... Fw wood. Lucked into a Aeroburner Tour Rainbird on Ebay and took a chance. It is as good as any I have played. Although I don't love the sound/feel so it is always in danger. 

... Hybrids. Still have an Adams LS in my bag with the stock Kuro Kage. Hit at the Show and loved it so it went in the bag that spring and has never left. Longer than any I have played and I use it from the rough and for longer par 5's in two.
... The King Utility is the crown jewel of my bag. Again, hit it at the Show and just loved everything about it. Long, accurate, perfect trajectory and love the feel/sound. Almost as long as my LS with a 1.5" longer shaft. I use it off the tee a ton and for 2nd shots on par 5's from the fairway. 

... Irons. Boy aren't these tough for a ho? LOL. Always something new and exciting coming out. Last season I rotated some Fly Z+ and 588 TT's and really loved the performance and forgiveness of the TT mid/long irons. I considered a split set of Z+ pw-8 and TT's 7-5 but ended up buying a set of 545's because I felt they had the best attributes of the Z+ and TT's. Haven't had a chance to play them yet, but shafted with Recoil 95's and ready for '17 as soon as my shoulder is fully healed. I hit them at the Show and thought the 745's were in my future but the 545's were a little more forgiving and had a lower trajectory. Loved the look and feel as well as the performance.

... Wedges. After playing Scrtach wedges for so many years, especially the EGG grind on my 60*, the grooves finally gave out and I have the Nike Engage wedges in my bag. Love the look and performance but prefer a softer forging than 8802 so not thrilled with the feel/sound. Bought them because they were the closest to the grind of my Scratch wedges but they are also always in danger of being replaced. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

... Addressing the OP's question about LM's, which I think can be very valuable. I prefer to hit clubs at the range and then on the course. If there are things I would like to tweak like shafts or dialing in lofts, I can go on a LM and check my numbers. But I had a bad experience with LM's during a fitting and have not trusted them since, at least for buying clubs. 

... TaylorMade fit me at the PGA Show and we settled on a R1 with a Kai'li. However, I liked the RBZ better as it seemed more consistent and I liked the sound/feel as well as the look. But the R1 was about the same for carry distance producing my longest carries as well. It also produced more roll as the spin numbers were just too high with the RBZ. However, I could never replicate the results on the course and it only took about a month to lose confidence in the R1. I exchanged the head for the RBZ and kept the shaft and it was a much better fit. Into the wind I got zero roll and under ideal conditions the RBZ produced some roll but not a lot. I know I was giving up yards but it was very accurate. Same thing happened with the Ping LS, worked great at the Show so I picked up a used one and it was all over the course. In this case I am sure most of the error was mine and not the LS but that provides little solace when you can't find a fairway and my trajectory was inconsistent. Of course I really hated the feel and sound as well as he turbulators so I am sure that played into my poor play. 

... So being fitted is a nice tool, especially if you can take the same swing over and over again, and then do the same thing off the tee on the course. But I think many cannot, as there is a huge difference between grooving a swing standing in one spot and walking a golf course hitting all your shots, and then need one great tee shot. After all, those swings on the LM don't matter if you hit a bad one, but you know it does standing on the tee. Imo there is no substitute for hitting a driver at the range and rotating different clubs into the demo hitting a wedge, then a hybrid, then a 7 iron, then a LW and then one swing with the driver. Of course demoing one at the course is always the best option, but not always available. 

I start with do I need something new? I am always looking and I like shiny new toys as much as anyone but would rather put the money into more golf. So I buy wedges the most because I wear them out. As a lefty, availability sucks in stores and a store isn't really the place to find a wedge unless you know exactly what you want. Really any club I want to try it on a range if not in play etc. That said:

Wedges - look and feel, different brands swing weights vary. If it is a lob wedge I am looking at what versatility the bounce and grind is giving me. Sand wedge I am going to look at how it sits when opened. I like a straight leading edge. I like soft feel but now blend that against wear. I have Cleveland, Ping, and Mizuno but generally play Vokey. Mizunos are great but wore out too fast. Pings are hard. Vokey is good blend. Cleveland nothing wrong just like Vokey shape and options better. So I change when they wear out

Driver launch monitor after like shape etc. I tend to lag latest thing here another 2 yards isn't going to change my game. Adjustability great for fitting but then...get the shaft, head combo right and life is fine SLDRs here. Launch monitor and range. Sound is big issue here for me.

3w seeking now. Shape, low profile play well from fairway, flight and workability I like this outside another find a great one and stick with it till it breaks club.

Irons -do they come LH? Look and feel always played Mizuno so far. Hit lots of clubs first with no monitor just feel and sound. Then launch monitor and range. Workability. Consistency. Feel there is something about clubs that just swing right there is swing weight sure but there is more to it some heads just balance across face differently. Who has a lot of this right (hate them or not) is titleist at free fitting events. Launch monitor, green grass, every head every shaft and they have good LH support.

Putter hmm I try them all the time at stores. I have only used 3 in over 30 years. I started with Ping Zing 2 why? Pro recommendation and they pioneered fitting. I used that till balata went away and golf balls became rocks. Decided to go to insert with Odessey because again they kind of in my mind pioneered that. Found I was better on short putts worse on long and would go back and forth a lot especially as the ball evolved. A couple years ago switched to Ping Shea H after LOTs of trying lots of things. Used my Ping putting app data to help with that. Wanted TR putting is coming together.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I've only played for 5 or 6 years and play with a set of G20 Pings that my wife bought me for Christmas. The Pings were a recommendation by our instructor. Since I was just starting out I couldn't tell the difference between brands but did go through a fitting for the Pings.

I just started upgrading some clubs - 2 new Cleveland RTX3 wedges and three new Ping hybrids. I tried several brand and these seem to work the best.

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I played a set of Titleist Dci Oversized for 12 years in with a Adams driver, and a zebra putter. Before that I had some old Wilson blades, can't remember the model, wooden titleist driver, and 3 wood. With a bullseye putter. And right before my TM switch I bought a used set of 990's and a 907 D2. The 990's made me a better ball striker. Although they are not a "blade" they were tiny and unforgiving as you know what on miss hits.

"Upgraded" to mostly all 2013 model year Taylormade stuff. Pretty sure I got worse, distance control on irons is not there. The cog on the wedges is pretty much dead center on the hosel. I play these because I invested a lot of money in "Technology".

Looking to move back to a MB in the very near future. The Cobra King LTD's have my attention. I hit a few 6 irons at Golf Galaxy in Yorktown, Va... pure joy. On the monitor they were all within a few yards of each other. And felt like Movie Theater butter, or Cream cheese. Just smooth.

I bought in on the tech. When I think that the standard set years ago was more than good enough. Just minor tweaks to MB's and I'll be happy.

New stolen motto: "aim small miss small"

- Da Yooper

On most forums we see comparisons of new clubs and today on instagram and twitter MGS posted a question on which wedge you would play. So why do you play what you play and what criteria do you use to knock a club out of your bag? Do you just pick what looks good? Do you buy the latest and greatest? Do you have a process for selection such as side by side on launch monitors? And finally is your process the same throughout your bag (Driver to putter and everything in between).

Initially for me, I went with what felt and looked best. First fitted iron set was the Cleveland TA-7s, then moved onto the the Mizuno MP-32's (both static fitting for correct iron shaft flex and lie). For the driver, I was and still am chasing the distance monster, but feel still plays a big role in that. Same for wedges and putter. With my next bag redo happening this year, I'm going to put more emphasis on scientific approach to fitting than I have in the past to maximize my distance and control. I'm going the dead honest route this time without any preconceived notions of what I want (I tend to lean towards Mizuno irons, Bettinardi putters and Titleist wedges). Going to mostly likely set an appointment to club champion which is brand agnostic to see what they say.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Think I might be an odd ball on this subject, I went from name brand to no name.

I had RBZ woods, Wilson CI6 irons, Fubuki shafts on the woods and True Temper on the irons, Odyssey putter.

I'm a Hobby builder, but the course I play out of doesn't have a shop, so I'm the guy they call. Problem is the market I have can't and won't spend 300 or more on a driver. So I started researching knock off gear. The legit stuff not illegal (made to look like) crap..so the Turner H-1 head, which looks like an M-1, but isn't claiming to be an M-1. So I built a set to try it out, and I have been playing it ever since.

I'll change stuff for the 'look' that suits me today/this season and the play style I am looking for ie can't hit a 3 wood (15*) worth a damn, but give me a 4 wood (16.5*) and I am fine...so lets get in a shaft and try a 4 wood head on a 3 wood shaft at 43.5"

Maybe if I had a +100mph swing it would make a difference, but at 90mph, I honestly don't see/feel a difference, and I love to experiment.

RBZ 10.5* driver

DTG Turner H-1 4/5/7 woods

Titleist AP1 irons

TM Tour Preferred wedges (50/54/58)

Hannah C curve putter

My swing speed is on the cusp, stiff flex driver, working down to a regular flex in the irons.

I am of the opinion that you should play what makes you happy. I think look and feel are important to the enjoyment of the golf experience. On the other hand I am all for performance and playing stuff that doesn't cause too much frustration in the course. Some kind of balance is good.

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

A lot of mine is trial and error. I have a Dick's Sporting Goods near work that I often stop by and have gotten to know the guys that work in the pro shop. They'll often let me in the hitting bay since I stop by when it's not busy and don't care if I tinker with different shafts or lofts. Usually I find what feels good and looks good number wise, and then go from there. I don't often buy at full retail, and usually wait until 50% trade in value or other deals. Irons and wedges are the same method, but usually it's simply based on feel and reviews that I read. Putter is a little more about looks and weight. 

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

... I think there are 3 reasons to buy new clubs. 1) You think there is better performance out there and are willing to try new clubs to find it. 2) You only buy new clubs when your old clubs wear out or start letting you down. 3) You just enjoy new clubs for a different feel or look or you just like trying new clubs! This category does not necessarily think there will be a performance increase but are occasionally surprised to find one. 

... I would be 3) because I review new clubs from the PGA Show every year for the past 10. A shoulder injury stopped me this year and honestly I didn't miss it after changing clubs every year. It has been fun but it did take a toll on my game every spring. I choose my club based on look at address and performance. Feel and sound can be the deciding factor for me, but I will play a club that looks good and performs well if it doesn't sound/feel like I prefer. Those clubs are always in danger of being replaced. 

... Driver. I fell in love with the Fly Z at the Show and was very pleasantly surprised to find it performed on the course as well or better than the range. Mid high flight with low spin for max carry and plenty of roll. I went to the F6 last season, but after a few months put the Z back in the bag because I liked the look and sound/feel better as they performed equally. I rotated a LTD in and out of the bag but never 2 rounds in a row and will give it a legit shot to make the bag this spring. I will not hesitate however, to put the Z back in after giving the LTD a shot. The Z is my favorite driver of all time and the combination of forgiveness, accuracy, trajectory and spin is just about perfect for me. 

... Fw wood. Lucked into a Aeroburner Tour Rainbird on Ebay and took a chance. It is as good as any I have played. Although I don't love the sound/feel so it is always in danger. 

... Hybrids. Still have an Adams LS in my bag with the stock Kuro Kage. Hit at the Show and loved it so it went in the bag that spring and has never left. Longer than any I have played and I use it from the rough and for longer par 5's in two.

... The King Utility is the crown jewel of my bag. Again, hit it at the Show and just loved everything about it. Long, accurate, perfect trajectory and love the feel/sound. Almost as long as my LS with a 1.5" longer shaft. I use it off the tee a ton and for 2nd shots on par 5's from the fairway. 

... Irons. Boy aren't these tough for a ho? LOL. Always something new and exciting coming out. Last season I rotated some Fly Z+ and 588 TT's and really loved the performance and forgiveness of the TT mid/long irons. I considered a split set of Z+ pw-8 and TT's 7-5 but ended up buying a set of 545's because I felt they had the best attributes of the Z+ and TT's. Haven't had a chance to play them yet, but shafted with Recoil 95's and ready for '17 as soon as my shoulder is fully healed. I hit them at the Show and thought the 745's were in my future but the 545's were a little more forgiving and had a lower trajectory. Loved the look and feel as well as the performance.

... Wedges. After playing Scrtach wedges for so many years, especially the EGG grind on my 60*, the grooves finally gave out and I have the Nike Engage wedges in my bag. Love the look and performance but prefer a softer forging than 8802 so not thrilled with the feel/sound. Bought them because they were the closest to the grind of my Scratch wedges but they are also always in danger of being replaced. 

I like the EGG grind on the Scratch wedges too. I found a Scratch 60 with the EGG grind at my Goodwill a couple of years ago for $2.99 I immediately snatched it up and paid for it and ran to the car. I liked that grind so much I copied it on my 588 60*. I no longer carry a 60 though and my buddy Bo Bear has the Scratch

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

... Dayum $2.99 for a Scratch wedge? And an EGG grind to boot? Somebody was livin' right.  :rolleyes:

... Dayum $2.99 for a Scratch wedge? And an EGG grind to boot? Somebody was livin' right.  :rolleyes:

LOL Why do you think I snatched it up QUICKLY paid for it and RAN to the car?  :D  :ph34r:

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

WOW, Where do i start? First off , I'm cheap. I never buy the latest, greatest whatever they are pitching that day. I have used a launch monitor when testing new clubs but primarily I use it  to get raw data (swing speed etc.) I am getting older and have shrunk 1 1/2" in the last two years so my old clubs don't always fit. The shafts are too stiff or the length is wrong. I am fortunate to have a garage full of clubs so it is no big deal to cut them down an inch or so and put on a different grip and they play totally different. It doesn't take much to repaint a metal wood so it looks new if you are at all handy. I will go th the range with a few 5 woods for example to see how they feel. I am currently playing an old Calloway X that I cut down an inch and refinished. I put a jumbo grip on it and hit the crap out of it. That replaced at least 2 newer 5 woods that I have. I play Ping i25 Driver and 3 wood with senior shafts and I like them both but when I cut down the 3 wood to a 5 wood length I got astounding results. I put these in my bag because they work for me. 

I have 2 sets of irons I alternate. I have Mizuno JPX with graphite shafts and an old  set of Ping i3+ with steel shafts. I had to cut down the Pings a bit since when I was fitted for them I was 1 1/2" taller and now they work just fine. 

I used a Cleveland G15 60 degree until I misplaced it and found a very old Wilson Sandy Andy 61 in the garage which I regripped and even though I got the Cleveland back that Old Sandy Andy isn't going anywhere.  I had a Ping 58 degree wedge I used to hit 100 yards 9 out of 10 times which is now replaced with a Titleist  Vokey 50 degree, which I hit 100 yards as frequently as that Ping. 

In answer to your question Why do I play the clubs I play...BECAUSE THEY WORK FOR ME. I don't give a crap about what they look like sitting together in the bag. I would rather hear from my playing partners..".What did you hit there, great shot"

The story about the eight putters I rotate with will have to be for another day-:)

WOW, Where do i start? First off , I'm cheap. I never buy the latest, greatest whatever they are pitching that day. I have used a launch monitor when testing new clubs but primarily I use it  to get raw data (swing speed etc.) I am getting older and have shrunk 1 1/2" in the last two years so my old clubs don't always fit. The shafts are too stiff or the length is wrong. I am fortunate to have a garage full of clubs so it is no big deal to cut them down an inch or so and put on a different grip and they play totally different. It doesn't take much to repaint a metal wood so it looks new if you are at all handy. I will go th the range with a few 5 woods for example to see how they feel. I am currently playing an old Calloway X that I cut down an inch and refinished. I put a jumbo grip on it and hit the crap out of it. That replaced at least 2 newer 5 woods that I have. I play Ping i25 Driver and 3 wood with senior shafts and I like them both but when I cut down the 3 wood to a 5 wood length I got astounding results. I put these in my bag because they work for me. 

I have 2 sets of irons I alternate. I have Mizuno JPX with graphite shafts and an old  set of Ping i3+ with steel shafts. I had to cut down the Pings a bit since when I was fitted for them I was 1 1/2" taller and now they work just fine. 

I used a Cleveland G15 60 degree until I misplaced it and found a very old Wilson Sandy Andy 61 in the garage which I regripped and even though I got the Cleveland back that Old Sandy Andy isn't going anywhere.  I had a Ping 58 degree wedge I used to hit 100 yards 9 out of 10 times which is now replaced with a Titleist  Vokey 50 degree, which I hit 100 yards as frequently as that Ping. 

In answer to your question Why do I play the clubs I play...BECAUSE THEY WORK FOR ME. I don't give a crap about what they look like sitting together in the bag. I would rather hear from my playing partners..".What did you hit there, great shot"

The story about the eight putters I rotate with will have to be for another day- :)

Right up my alley play what works for you. It is also a plus that you can build and modify clubs for yourself like I do. Means you have double knowledge of what works for you. When the money is on the line I play what is in my signature but do not let the stock looking specs fool you I have tuned each and every one to my specs. When I play my classic strictly vintage golf I have 5 full sets to choose from. On the classic stuff I shoot about the same with what ever set I choose but each set is "tuned " to my specs. BTW  I do rotate wedges and putters a lot in the classic stuff it is part of my fun

G

... Isn't the club building journey a ton of fun? Like most I started out re-gripping. Then swing weight scale, spine finder, shaft puller and finally a Loft Lie machine. Started with a Goldsmith model and progressed to a Mitchell Tour I picked up used. Being able to do all your own work certainly makes Ho'ing much more palatable. It is nice to do things for good friends that don't expect it and offer to pay, although I never accept any payment for work done, just the cost of materials. 

... I decided to get my LL machine after receiving a custom set of irons from a major OEM when I joined them when I was with the IPGA. Nice staff bag with my name on it for teaching and the irons were very nice, although it was easy to see the offset was different in the middle irons. I checked at Goldsmith using their LL machine and my 8 and 7 irons were 1* apart in loft and 5 of the 8 irons were off spec for loft. Supposed to be 2* upright and the lies were all over the place. I bought a LL machine that day since it was right in the middle of Friends and Family sale. 

... Isn't the club building journey a ton of fun? Like most I started out re-gripping. Then swing weight scale, spine finder, shaft puller and finally a Loft Lie machine. Started with a Goldsmith model and progressed to a Mitchell Tour I picked up used. Being able to do all your own work certainly makes Ho'ing much more palatable. It is nice to do things for good friends that don't expect it and offer to pay, although I never accept any payment for work done, just the cost of materials. 

... I decided to get my LL machine after receiving a custom set of irons from a major OEM when I joined them when I was with the IPGA. Nice staff bag with my name on it for teaching and the irons were very nice, although it was easy to see the offset was different in the middle irons. I checked at Goldsmith using their LL machine and my 8 and 7 irons were 1* apart in loft and 5 of the 8 irons were off spec for loft. Supposed to be 2* upright and the lies were all over the place. I bought a LL machine that day since it was right in the middle of Friends and Family sale. 

I agree with you on checking my own stuff then I know beyond a shadow of a doubt it is right if I do it. I used to run a shop myself but we got out of it in 09. I have a little shop set up behind the house. Like you I do stuff for friends and do not charge except for materials. Being the club ho I am I usually trade out for old clubs etc.

Man let me tell you about one screwed up set of clubs I worked on just today.

Some time back I did a trade deal for several sets of classic Macgergor irons ( I am a Mac collector) One of those were a re chromed set of 1959 FC-4000s. Now they are beautiful but not restored correctly. Someone in the process sandblasted the ceramic faces off. They are nice though with the original pinned Pro Pel shafts and ferrules. They also have Neuman leather wrap grips. Basically I have had them put up for over a year. I had been debating whether to play them in one of my vintage rounds. I finally decided to take them out and play them tomorrow. I always knew from sight that they were extremely flat for me. WOW were they ever. every club was at least 5* flat from their standard. Lofts man o man they were all screwed up not jacked but delofted by anywhere from 2 to 4 *. Some of the mid irons had only 1* spread between clubs. I could not believe what I was seeing. I actually re checked manually with my fixture and old school protractor before I bent anything. One of the most screwed up set of irons I ever worked on. Even the 2 3 and 4 irons were delofted. But I have them set to specs now looking forward to playing them tomorrow afternoon after Church.

BTW my machine is an old Silvestri which is a good machine and kinda an odd ball in the club world. There were only a few made before the owner and inventor had health problems and shut down. The only other operator of those machines was Ari at Scratch Golf and he had 2 of them. I have bent clubs and checked them against a Mitchell and everything else and it has always held true. Besides because I am so paticular I double check myself with my fixture and protractor. Man it took me over 2 hours today to straighten out that screwed up set of Macs

G

Money. If I weren't limited by my wallet, I'd be a cub ho. But I have a set and don't really mess with it.

Mizzuno JPX irons are very good, so they're not going anywhere

Callaway Diablo 3&5 woods. I have never found another FW wood that is as solid as these. Been playing them for 8 years or so

Driver is where I am promiscuous. Worst mistake I ever made was getting rid of the custom fit SLDR.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

The forged portion of the bag:

First and foremost I'm the guy on a never ending feel hunt. And in my experience a raw finish is the proper foundation for unadulterated feedback. From there it has to look fantastic at address. And any time a new contender meeting the first two criteria arises, I immediately get a little jolt of electricity running up my arms. So I make a mental note and put it on the club procurement list. Finally I'll put 'em through a turf interaction test and most likely be disappointed. I've been gaming 2 sets of gunmetal Clevelands (Ta1 and Ta3) for awhile but I'm close to pulling the trigger on a different setup that I won't mention yet (don't want any extra competition in the online marketplace). In a departure from most scratchers I also prefer wedges on the lighter end of the spectrum because in my opinion you can spin them more when you're inside full shot range.

Metal woods:

Here the raw finish obviously isn't an option but it still has to look perfect at address. From there it needs to sound good (for me quiet thrush clickers are preferable to high tinny pingers). Finally it has to have the right combo of overall balance and CG so that I can feel the face and subsequently comfortably release it. I do like to work the woods both ways which means I also stay away from the wide body high-MOI stuff in favor of the smaller heads that also offer more options from less than ideal lies. Currently gaming a TM M1 430 9.5*, Cobra s9-1 Pro 15*, Nickent 3DX Ironwood 17*.

I love to tinker, particularly on the putter end of the bag but I'm not the least bit impetuous or prone to seduction by marketing. And most of the time, any new stuff I test just cements my feeling that the right equipment is already in the bag. Before the M1 joined the stable over the Winter I was gaming a Callaway FT Tour 10.5* that may yet steal back the starting QB job.

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

I had written this super long post about my journey to find the right clubs to fit my game, accidentally hit "back" and lost the entire thing. So I will say this:

Get fit. 

Getting fit was the overall message of my intended post. Obviously you want equipment that you enjoy looking at, but the bag needs to fit the game so there should be some kind of balance. I started playing in March 2012 and went through three sets of irons that year before finally getting fit in March 2013. Getting fit revealed a lot about my swing and gave me knowledge that I could use in the future when making equipment changes. One thing I've never done however is a driver or putter fitting. Don't think I'll ever do a putter fitting, but I will probably do a driver fitting at some point this season.

So, my bag is based on my fitting...and the fact that I will never again play irons that are not Mizuno  :D

Driver:     TM M5 Tour, Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65X

Fairway:   Callaway XHot Pro 3Deep 14.5*, UST Proforce V2 Tour 86X tipped .5"

Utility:      Tour Issue Adams IDEA Pro Black 18*, Aldila RIP Alpha 105X  (snagged this from a rep off the van and I'll never take it out of the bag)

Irons:       Mizuno MP-H4 3I, DG X100         Mizuno MP-59 4-PW, DG X100

Wedges:   Mizuno MP-T4 50*, DG S400       Vokey Spin Milled 55*, 60*

Putter:     Custom Evnroll ER2 Heavy

Ball:        Snell MTB-X

Bag/Cart: Ogio Itza/Clicgear 3.0

(I'm a bit of a ho and have a large closet worth of various other gems)

I had written this super long post about my journey to find the right clubs to fit my game, accidentally hit "back" and lost the entire thing....

So, my bag is based on my fitting...and the fact that I will never again play irons that are not Mizuno :D

Been there. I've lost more long posts by doing the same thing! Frustrating to say the least, lol. Welcome to the Mizuno fold! Been playing Mizzy's for a total of 7 out of the last 10 years. Love the feel. This year though, I'm considering irons other than Mizunos, apex cf16s, Titleist AP2s and Srixons. Gotta get out and try them out and see what works best for me.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

This year though, I'm considering irons other than Mizunos, apex cf16s, Titleist AP2s and Srixons. Gotta get out and try them out and see what works best for me.

A 765/965 combo set would sure be nice! Those caught my eye for sure, but for now I will remain Mizzy loyal!

Utility:      Tour Issue Adams IDEA Pro Black 18*, Aldila RIP Alpha 105X  (snagged this from a rep off the van and I'll never take it out of the bag)

BTW my machine is an old Silvestri which is a good machine and kinda an odd ball in the club world. There were only a few made before the owner and inventor had health problems and shut down. The only other operator of those machines was Ari at Scratch Golf and he had 2 of them. I have bent clubs and checked them against a Mitchell and everything else and it has always held true. Besides because I am so paticular I double check myself with my fixture and protractor. Man it took me over 2 hours today to straighten out that screwed up set of Macs

... Good stuff! If it is good enough for Ari, it is certainly good enough. We have been friends since he was a member of another forum and he sent me his very first prototype wedge for review. Imo it had quite a few problems, I wouldn't even hit it and reluctantly sent it back to him. Several months later another prototype arrived and he had addressed every issue I had with the original. I absolutely loved it and had him build me a 60* with a different grind, but Ari talked me into his EGG grind (that nobody else was doing at the time) and it became my favorite club. Played quite a few rounds with Ari and Patrick and never knew an OEM where the main execs are golf fanatics. They played everywhere they went and are two of the nicest guys I have ever known. Sad day when Scratch had to close it's doors. 

... For those interested in a fitting but aren't ready to go full out, the Mizuno Optimizer is amazingly accurate for iron shaft selection. Mizuno wanted me to review a set of MP59's and set me up with the rep to go through a full fitting. I had already fitted myself for some MP63's and was playing KB Tour stiff flex, 1/2" long, soft stepped once. To my surprise the Optimizer came up with those exact same specs. I was very impressed with a device that only needed 3 swings to produce my exact specs. Here is an Optimizer explanatory 3 minute video from Youtube:

... For those interested in a fitting but aren't ready to go full out, the Mizuno Optimizer is amazingly accurate for iron shaft selection. Mizuno wanted me to review a set of MP59's and set me up with the rep to go through a full fitting. I had already fitted myself for some MP63's and was playing KB Tour stiff flex, 1/2" long, soft stepped once. To my surprise the Optimizer came up with those exact same specs. I was very impressed with a device that only needed 3 swings to produce my exact specs. Here is an Optimizer explanatory 3 minute video from Youtube:

+1 for sure. Amazing little piece of tech. I first experienced it at the Connecticut golf show in 2013 and reps are almost always willing to do a very short demo with you for free. 

Archived