Why do you play the clubs you play?

cnosil

For years I'd read reviews, try new clubs when they'd come out, shop eBay for deals on clubs that "sounded good," etc.  I'm still willing to try new stuff, but until the past few years it was really difficult to find more than a "stock, in-shop fitting cart" fitting in my area.  The fitters were basically store clerks, with varying ideas on how to fit.  I had fun, found a few clubs that I still bag, but First Tee and the Boys & Girls Club have a lot more of those clubs now, than I do ;)

Now that I've had 2 fittings at 2nd Swing and one at Totally Driven, I don't think I'll ever make any kind of a major change to my bag without a "real fitting."  I might still replace a couple of fairway/hybrid shafts on my own, just to match what seems to be working best, but that's about all the "club hoe'ing I plan to do.

I never even really considered Ping clubs, mostly because I didn't care for the way they looked to me, but surprisingly enough, after being fit for irons and wedges, that's what I've got in the bag and without finding a quality fitter, I'd never have considered them.

I dented my Titleist 910-D2 driver head this year and it's not performing as well as it did before, so before I replace it, I'll get a ftting setup with Thomas at 2nd Swing before I make a decision.

• Like 2

What's In The Bag

Driver :titelist-small:

Titleist 913 D2 10.5* (set to 9.75* / Neutral) 46" Paderson KINETIXX Kevlar Green - R

Fairway Wood

Tom Wishon 949 MC 16.5* Fujikura Speeder 569-A

Hybrid  :cleveland-small: Hibore 22* Aldila VS Proto Blue

Irons  :ping-small: G series 5-P

Wedges :ping-small:Glide 54* SS / 60* TS - SCOR 53*

Putter     :nike-small: Nike Method 001 / P2 Reflex grip 35"

Ball

Master Grip Tour C4

Bag

Datrek DG Lite  

I was selected to review them, built to my specs and they have performed. So that's why they are in my bag....Cobra F6

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 6

Driver: PXG 0211 w/Evenflo Riptide CB Regular shaft 

Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3-4W(16*), 5-6W(20*) both w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft and Patriot 7W w/AccuLaunch 60 by Accuflex

Hybrid: Cobra F8 3 Hybrid(19*) w/Recoil ES regular shaft 

Irons: Wilson D7 5-PW w/Recoil 460 Regular graphite shafts 

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore(50*/54*/58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  

Putter: 33" Evnroll ER2 w/Evnroll Gravity Grip 

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black).  

Pushcart:  Caddytek 3.0 from Costco

Ball: Maxfli Tour CG & Titleist Pro V1x.

For me it's all about PERFORMANCE!  

I am extremely meticulous about my clubs!  To make my bag, (and stay in it), a club must allow me to hit consistently good golf shots and therefore deserve my utmost confidence!  I have customized many of my clubs to ensure the performance of each is precisely where I want it to be, and allowed no compromises!

Took quite awhile to get everything exactly right, but each club in my set, (shown below), currently meets or exceeds my very demanding performance expectations, so no changes are planned, or expected for 2017...  :)

Happy Holidays! 

You do it exactly like I do it too get it to my specs--- And I see you still have the V-Steel in the bag--- My V-Steel 7 wood or the 9 wood is going back in the bag. The only thing that kicked the 7 wood out was the Adams 5 wood but the 4 iron in the X-13s is coming out and either the 7 or 9 wood is going in to replace it

• Like 2

Driver ---- TM M-6 Evenflow 65 G R flex---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex---  Irons 5 thru PW 2016 TM TP CBs Steelfiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy2 52* Stock regular shaft--- SW Callaway Mack Daddy PM grind modified to 10* bounce KBS wedge shaft R---- Putter Scotty Sante Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft you seriously think it was going anywhere? Bag Old School Burton Mini Staff non demontional no advertising

I'm like this topic...

When I was looking to purchase my latest set of irons I decided first to seek out a top notch fitter. I also wanted to "try" something different. What different meant to me was taking a hard look at non-retail brands such as Wishon, Alpha, KZG, etc. I ended up settling on Wishon. I have never been more pleased with any set of irons. I would probably say the same thing if I'd bought a different non-retail brand. They're all good. I just wanted to play something no one else played. However, with any clubs it always in my opinion boils down to the fit.

I play Wishon 771csi irons 4i through PW. I was also fit for three Wishon wedges. 52,56, 60. Each of them are the PCF Micro-tour design. I also carry a 2014 TaylorMade SLDR, a Wishon 929HS 16.5* fairway wood, and an Edel Willamette putter. Aside from the SLDR each of my clubs are custom fit and built.

I'm not sure why guys don't play more of the non-retail brands of clubs. I suppose it's because most people only pay attention to what's on the rack or in magazines. They're all good clubs for sure. But there's a whole other world out there if you look.

I would love the opportunity to try 'non retail' clubs. I've hit a few at a great fitter in Euless, TX, just haven't had the funds available to spring for the fitting and clubs.

I'm excited for the day my entire bag is truly custom fit from driver through wedge, as opposed to the closest approximation found piecemeal.

• Like 3

Driver: Taylormade SLDR, Diamana Kai'li 70 

3 Wood: Callaway X Tour 15*

Hybrid: Bobby Jones 21* (Original)

Irons: Bridgestone J38 DPC 4-PW

Wedges: Scor 4161 52*, 57*

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport

You do it exactly like I do it too get it to my specs--- And I see you still have the V-Steel in the bag--- My V-Steel 7 wood or the 9 wood is going back in the bag. The only thing that kicked the 7 wood out was the Adams 5 wood but the 4 iron in the X-13s is coming out and either the 7 or 9 wood is going in to replace it

I would kill to have my old 16.5* V Steel bag! I'm constantly scouring eBay and the like in search of one, but I can only find 3 and 5 woods. One day one will pop up...

• Like 2

I'm like this topic...

When I was looking to purchase my latest set of irons I decided first to seek out a top notch fitter. I also wanted to "try" something different. What different meant to me was taking a hard look at non-retail brands such as Wishon, Alpha, KZG, etc. I ended up settling on Wishon. I have never been more pleased with any set of irons. I would probably say the same thing if I'd bought a different non-retail brand. They're all good. I just wanted to play something no one else played. However, with any clubs it always in my opinion boils down to the fit.

I play Wishon 771csi irons 4i through PW. I was also fit for three Wishon wedges. 52,56, 60. Each of them are the PCF Micro-tour design. I also carry a 2014 TaylorMade SLDR, a Wishon 929HS 16.5* fairway wood, and an Edel Willamette putter. Aside from the SLDR each of my clubs are custom fit and built.

I'm not sure why guys don't play more of the non-retail brands of clubs. I suppose it's because most people only pay attention to what's on the rack or in magazines. They're all good clubs for sure. But there's a whole other world out there if you look.

I can answer your last question in two parts

First off most golfers are not as overall educated on the game or equipment as us MGSers are. they go by mainstream companies with plenty of advertising dollars on the GC or in print. Also they may go with what their favorite Pro MAY play on tour. Notice I said MAY. They do not know anything about custom built quality clubs as in Wishon or KZG. Heck I have seen some guys at bag drops that are supposedly going through the PGM program think Miura clubs are some kind of off brand

Second thing is local builders. If you have a strong local builder you may have more quality custom component clubs around your area. And the brand depends on the builder. My one buddy that sold his shop was a builder for Wishon , KZG, Infiniti and SMT. So we have quite an influx. Now my other buddy is an Miura and Alpha dealer. Really depends on the area and what a builder promotes and also how good they build them

• Like 3

Driver ---- TM M-6 Evenflow 65 G R flex---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex---  Irons 5 thru PW 2016 TM TP CBs Steelfiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy2 52* Stock regular shaft--- SW Callaway Mack Daddy PM grind modified to 10* bounce KBS wedge shaft R---- Putter Scotty Sante Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft you seriously think it was going anywhere? Bag Old School Burton Mini Staff non demontional no advertising

I would kill to have my old 16.5* V Steel bag! I'm constantly scouring eBay and the like in search of one, but I can only find 3 and 5 woods. One day one will pop up...

Never have seen a 16.5 V steel but then again I never knew the 9 wood (24*) existed until a buddy of mine mentioned it one night on WRX. He actually had 3 of them and gave me one.

• Like 1

I would love the opportunity to try 'non retail' clubs. I've hit a few at a great fitter in Euless, TX, just haven't had the funds available to spring for the fitting and clubs.

I'm excited for the day my entire bag is truly custom fit from driver through wedge, as opposed to the closest approximation found piecemeal.

Now I can give you another viable option. Super Tune as I call it your existing irons. All the clubs in my Signature are custom even though they are brand name they have just been modified by me for me. Do not let some of the "stock" shafts fool you because they have been tuned for frequency and splined. I also have different weight placements via lead tape in different clubs to get them where I want them. My Titleist driver is a good example. I found out the A-2 setting was correct for me. After confirming that we pulled the adaptor and realigned the shaft to fit that setting. That club is so balanced that if you move it one notched it will throw the shaft balance and frequency off

• Like 3

Now I can give you another viable option. Super Tune as I call it your existing irons. All the clubs in my Signature are custom even though they are brand name they have just been modified by me for me.

I'll have to check that out Stu! Thanks!

Now I can give you another viable option. Super Tune as I call it your existing irons. All the clubs in my Signature are custom even though they are brand name they have just been modified by me for me.

I haven seen one either for quite a while, that's the problem! My guess is they weren't produced in the same quantity as standard lofts; that or everybody loves the one they have and ain't selling!

My philosophy is a rather odd one. First I find something in my price range, then I research it until I am content. I shape how I think the club will feel and sound based off of the picture and this will change based off of the reviews I read. This is usually my approach for buying irons. The next step after researching is to go and hit what clubs I can from the used section at my local store. If they don't have the irons I want used then they kind of go on the back burner for me. This happened with the Srixon 545 irons. I wanted to hit them and try them out first before I bought them, but my store didn't carry them so I had to look at other irons.

For my driver I honestly don't have a set method. I usually look for a certain shape or style, hit it, check the spin and launch, compare the feel and sound, and then buy it if all requirements are met. Very rarely do I buy something without testing it before. Only time I have ever done this was with my SLDR driver, still one of my favorite clubs to date.

As for my wedges, i just try and find the loft and bounce I want, then I look at the style of the club head and the color,. If I don't hate it then I might get it. I have never hit a wedge and thought it was head and shoulders above the rest.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I had quite an adventure getting new clubs this year. Once the Nike news came down the pipe I had to try a Vapor Fly Pro for $150 over my ol rocketballz stage one. I hit it pretty well and sold my TM to a friend to commit to the Nike. Then I saw the flex 440 and had to have it. I ordered one and sold the Vapor Fly Pro. 3 weeks and three broken heads later I was out of a driver and heart broken. I loved the flex, I really did, but not built to last. Any way I went to PGA superstore and got fitted for Cobra f6+ x shaft and it's great. Awesome club.

So basically once I sold my first driver before the Nike I proceeded just go ham on the rest of the bag. Cobra cell amps were out and Nike Vapor Speeds in ( I love them) Cobra Bio cell hybrid out, Nike Vapor Fly hybrid in. All in all it was a crazy summer to get new clubs but it was fun. My Odyssey versa two ball is never leaving the bag.

Handicap is 8. Cheers fellas

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

:srixon-small: Z765 (Project X HRZDUS Yellow 6.0 63g)

:srixon-small:  Z45 (Kuro Kage stiff flex 70g)

:srixon-small:  U65 20* (Miyazaki X-stiff)

:nike-small: VR Pro Combo 4-PW (Project X PXI 6.5)

:nike-small: Engage wedges 52* 58*

:wilson_staff_small: 8802

Might be your lucky day, there is one listed on eBay now. I stumbled across it when looking for a V Steel 5 wood.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TaylorMade-V-Steel-16-5-Degree-4-Fairway-Wood-Steel-Regular-Flex-239323-Used-/351699510092?hash=item51e2eca34c:g:whcAAOSw-CpX~sFM

Hopefully the link works, and the price is good. I waited years to find a V Steel 3 wood which is in my holiday bag.

:ping-small:  G400 SFT Aldila Xtorsion Copper Stiff
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

Back on topic, it's all about performance for me.

Sure, I'm less likely to try something that isn't appealing to my eye, but if it works I keep it.

I've tried to improve my driver, but can't find anything to match it, let alone beat it. I would love to try the same Grafalloy Epic in a modern head as this shaft is amazingly well suited to my swing. The first time I swung my old Nickent with this shaft in it I was blown away. I wasn't fitted for it, but it was so cheap I took a punt.

I changed irons just over a year ago, after deciding my Titleist CB/MB combo irons with Rifle 6 shafts were too much for me, and damaging my game. I went fo something easier to hit. The score is what matters, not what you hit.

• Like 1

:ping-small:  G400 SFT Aldila Xtorsion Copper Stiff
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

I play what I play mainly based on what clubs give me the best miss.  I typically want clubs where the miss is consistent and keeps me in play.  Feel at impact is important to me as well.

I feel that I could get along with most drivers and putters, but was fit into both.  I haven't changed my putter for a few years and it's the oldest club in my bag.  I'll get ancy every now and then and put a couple other putters in play, but the Scotty always wins out in the end.  For my driver, I seem ti change it once a season, although I'm always very happy with whatever driver I have in the bag.  

I had a chance to play my irons a couple times on the course and really liked them, so when I saw someone was selling brand new heads, I jumped at it and put them in iron shafts I had lying around I really liked and haven't had much of a desire to change them out.  They're the best irons I've played; great feel, look sharp at address and incredibly forgiving.  My miss with them is low on the face, which really ends up being a loss of distance.  For me though, how I hit the 6i in the set is a big watermark with how I get along with the whole set and the 6i is my favorite.  

Hybrids and fairway woods are a revolving door for me.  It's usually what is filling a distance gap, what can I hit off the deck (for fw's) and out of the rough (hybos).  I prefer iron replacement hybrids and the Apex head shape is exactly what I like.  The forgiveness with that kind of shape is a first and instead of being distance monsters, give me a consistent distance and are versatile in any kind of lies.  On fairway woods, I'm actually considering switching to the M2, purely based on liking them better than the GBB.  

Wedges have always been a strong suit.  I have the ones in my bag now because they're incredibly versatile and very easy to hit out of the rough and bunkers.  I don't even have to open them up, which makes it easier and more consistent as well.  I think the shape and what I read about the wedge intrigued me, so I went to the local GG and hit them a bunch, then grabbed one and used it at a short game practice area for a few areas.  

WIT  :titelist-small: Sta Dry Bag:

Driver:       :taylormade-small: '17 M2

Woods:     :taylormade-small: M2 3W and 5W

Hybrids:   :callaway-logo-1: Apex 3h and 5h  

Irons:          :mizuno-small:   MP 18 MMC

Wedges:   :callaway-logo-1: MD PM Grind, 56* and 60*

Putter:      :scotty-cameron-1: California Sonoma

I'm a looks and feel kind of guy.  My irons (Callaway Razr XF) have forged heads and they feel almost as good as a warm hiney on a cold December morning. ;)  I love the shafts (True Temper GS 95 Steel). They are as close to graphite as you can get and the ball flight is prettier than a bowl of collards, cornbread, and blackeye peas on New Year's day.

My hybrids (Callaway Razr) are a comfort thing. I hit hybrids much better than fairway woods. It's a mental thing I suppose anyways I have bagged these hybrids longer than Minnie Pearl sang at the opry. jk

My driver (Ping G25) is an old friend that keeps hanging around. It won't  win any long drive contests, especially with me at the wheel, however she's my buddy and gives me that warm and cozy feel. 

My current putter ( Odyssey 2 ball fang) is looking pretty darn good as a repeat starter for the 2017 season.  

I would be more apt to try a new driver or putter than change out my irons although those srixon iron reviews you boys posted on here have me licking my chops like a boar hawg in a slop slurping contest.

• Like 2

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway MAVRIK  3 hybrid 18 Degree
Callaway Big Bertha 2019  4 hybrid 
Callaway  Max 5 - PW Irons
Cleveland CBX 2 50 & 54 Degree Wedge
Cleveland CBX Full-Face Wedge 58 degree
Odyssey
White Hot OG 7 S

I think you're referring to The Golf Station. I've heard a lot of good things about them and the owner Tim Brantley*. It appears they lean more to the major retail brands now days as I don't see any KZG, Alpha, Wishon listed on their site. However, a few years ago when I was interviewing fitters/builders they did have them because that's what we specifically discussed. I have a friend I work with that has a set built by them. I've seen them. I forget what brand they are.... perhaps Alpha? They are sweet clubs.

However, a full fitting and a custom build done in house will cost more as opposed to having your specs sent to Cobra, Taylormade, Ping, etc. for example and then the clubs sent back. I personally would seek a fitter that builds each club by hand to exact specs. It's worth the extra cost.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I'll have to check that out Stu! Thanks!

That Bobby Jones hybrid you have in your signature is a good one. A friend of mine has one and it hits good. His has a Senior flex shaft in it and it is not quite enough shaft for me right now.

• Like 1

I'm a looks and feel kind of guy.  My irons (Callaway Razr XF) have forged heads and they feel almost as good as a warm hiney on a cold December morning. ;)  I love the shafts (True Temper GS 95 Steel). They are as close to graphite as you can get and the ball flight is prettier than a bowl of collards, cornbread, and blackeye peas on New Year's day.

My hybrids (Callaway Razr) are a comfort thing. I hit hybrids much better than fairway woods. It's a mental thing I suppose anyways I have bagged these hybrids longer than Minnie Pearl sang at the opry. jk

My driver (Ping G25) is an old friend that keeps hanging around. It won't  win any long drive contests, especially with me at the wheel, however she's my buddy and gives me that warm and cozy feel. 

My current putter ( Odyssey 2 ball fang) is looking pretty darn good as a repeat starter for the 2017 season.  

I would be more apt to try a new driver or putter than change out my irons although those srixon iron reviews you boys posted on here have me licking my chops like a boar hawg in a slop slurping contest.

ROTFLMAO!  You darn sure put that in a Southern Redneck way-- I understood you perfectly others may not but I did

• Like 4

ROTFLMAO!  You darn sure put that in a Southern Redneck way-- I understood you perfectly others may not but I did

haha I'm just telling like it is bruther :D 

• Like 2

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway MAVRIK  3 hybrid 18 Degree
Callaway Big Bertha 2019  4 hybrid 
Callaway  Max 5 - PW Irons
Cleveland CBX 2 50 & 54 Degree Wedge
Cleveland CBX Full-Face Wedge 58 degree
Odyssey
White Hot OG 7 S