Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Golf Really is Cheap

PlaidJacket

Sometimes on Fridays I go out to the local muni and play with some guys that play there. It's pretty fun. My town only has one muni and another daily fee course. The other three courses in town are country clubs of which I belong to one of them. Anyway... yesterday I played there and this morning I took a look at my receipt. It was for $29.01!! That included green fee, cart, and a small bucket of balls. There is also a small course improvement fee included. All told that's $1.61/hole. You could play for even less if you walk and don't hit any range balls. If you do your cost would be $14.34 or $0.80/hole!!

So what kind of course do you get for 80 cents a hole? And OK course I'd say. The course design is a good one. Old... 1950's style. Good greens, decent fairways, lot's of neglected; in need of maintenance areas, broken cart paths, junky carts, lousy range, good practice green, missing ball washers, poor bunkers, lousy tee boxes. Other than that not bad. LOL

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I play a course in Minerva, Ohio called Great Trail. It is a very nice public course that is well kept and fairly challenging. My group had tee times for 7:30 and 8:30 this past Fall. It was $27.00 the first time and $29.00 the second. That was 18 holes and a cart. That's pretty reasonable for a course of this caliber, IMO.

My old course where I played for 18 years was $900 a year with a cart... for both my wife and I.  Play as much as we want; no tee times needed.  However, the course was rough and the carts worse than PJ can imagine, but it was a decent 9-hole par 35 for beginners, kids, a ladies group, and old people.  We rode in a cart when we wanted to get a lot of holes in, but walked most of the time for exercise.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

In Canada we pay $63 a round with a cart for a public course. Most courses are around 50-60 for 18 and a cart. It's getting ridiculous to play now. There is higher end private courses for around $90-100 were I'm from. Season passes are $1900-2000 with no carts. I don't get how these u.s courses are so much cheaper to play. Must be your population i guess.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

In Canada we pay $63 a round with a cart for a public course. Most courses are around 50-60 for 18 and a cart. It's getting ridiculous to play now. There is higher end private courses for around $90-100 were I'm from. Season passes are $1900-2000 with no carts. I don't get how these u.s courses are so much cheaper to play. Must be your population i guess.

Many rural locations tend to be cheaper than in the cities.  However, it really depends a lot on the quality of the course, and time of the season.  You can get some very cheap rates in Phoenix and Palm Springs in the summer!  lol.   The example I used in my post above was a piece of land off the end of the runway of one of our airports owned by the Port.  The gave a deal to a local pro to build a course that was affordable.  It makes money but not a lot.  

Now the course I moved to is a nice muni that the city leases to a management company.  It's much more expensive for an annual membership, more in line with what you quoted and its the best deal in town for a reasonably nice course.  It isn't a country club, but it's friendly and the people take good care of it.  It was my choice to pay more for a quality course.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

All told with my dues & cart plan, if i play 8 times a month, my cost is $32.50/round.  If I play 3 times/week after I retire (3 weeks), my cost drops to $21.67/round.......not bad, with brand new Yamaha gas carts and discounts in the Pro shop and Pub.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

We have a family membership that includes cart, range balls, and golf for $2200.00 per year. I'm thinking maybe next year on converting to the mon - fri package for $1800.00 per year.  We play 12 months a year here in Georgia so not a bad deal .

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

My club membership dues are $620 a year plus cart.  I generally walk but that is still very affordable.  I mainly walk because I sit behind a computer for 10+ hours per day.  At the end of the day, I become a chauffeur for my daughters so time is at a premium.  The gym time has been lost in the shuffle and my waistline has paid the price.  The stock option is fairly expensive in comparison but given the dues, makes it well worth the expense.  

My club offers juniors under 16 the ability to pay $150 per year for unlimited golf without owning stock.  Parents often drop kids off during the summer months before work and pick them up in the afternoon when they get off.  The high school golf team has reaped the benefits of this process, winning 6 state championships and having a dozen or so runner-up finishes.  They have also produced several individual state champions.

The club isn't anything special but does have the best conditioned greens in SWVA, in my opinion.  No frills or filler, only golf.  The fairways are always in good shape.  The club also has some serious players.  One-half of the USGA 4-ball runner-up team from 2015 and the 2010 VSGA Public Links champion to name two.  The fact that those two have had their hind-ends handed to them on multiple occasions in the club championship speaks to the quality of play.

The Blue Ridge Invitational is a fairly large "open" tournament that attracts players from all over the southeast and has been played for 52 years.  The money the club makes from this tournament is the sole reason our dues are what they are.

I have a good deal - my Country Club is part of a large group of courses that I can play with my membership. $99/month for unlimited play with cart. My course has new gas carts, a couple have electric carts with gps.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

There are certainly some great deals on here, certainly better than mine.  I live in a growing community of about 250K people that didn't see a housing market crash.  Instead, houses and apartments were continually being built.  The problem is that there hasn't been a new 18-hole golf course built in the last 20 years, and we have added 100K people.  So, prices for green fees and memberships are pretty high.

I think the point of PJ's OP is that depending on where you live, prices to play golf are reasonable.  Many of you are very lucky.  Others probably not so much.  However, I think if you look around, reasonably priced courses are out there.  They may not be of the quality that you want to play, but I have found that golf can be fun on any course if you have the right attitude and playing with the right company.

I have a good deal - my Country Club is part of a large group of courses that I can play with my membership. $99/month for unlimited play with cart. My course has new gas carts, a couple have electric carts with gps.

wow..I live a few blocks away from the only country club in our city. They want $15,000 to even get in the door for the first season. $4000 every year after and we can only play here for 6 months(if we are lucky). They also require you to spend $200 a month in pro shop or restaurant. I secretly hope they have to go public eventually, but even then I bet they want $90 a round. For the game to grow the gouging has to stop. Sadly it won't ...

Sent from my iPhone while sitting at the 19th hole.

My course has a pretty decent deal. Buy one round for $1750ish and then get as many as you want free after that. Includes the 3 hole practice loop and unlimited range balls

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I use GolfNow all summer long to play on a variety of courses. I usually don't pay more than $20 a round. And with promotions and discounts I receive I can pay as little as $5.

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

No deals worth playing within a 100 miles on GolfNow.  The courses just don't need to give deals.  Our best deal is my club on Senior Tuesday in the spring and fall for $25 with a cart.  It's so crowded that I use Tuesdays as my practice day!!

Deals actually don't work for me anyway.  Greens fees and cart are times 2 since my wife plays with me most of the time on weekends.  The Couples rate for the year is the best deal at my course, rather than daily fee.  We do get 1/2 off any rate at another course in town, but the only reason to do that is when my course has a tournament and we can't get on our course.

For those of you in Myrtle Beach area or those that travel to Myrtle often (as I do) I have found a hidden gem there. It's called Eagles Nest. As all of you in the area know, hurricane Mathew hit some of the courses in Myrtle pretty hard and yet they are still charging full price for soaking wet courses (weeks after since many were flooded). My buddy and I were looking for a single round for us and his son in the North Myrtle Beach area. I have played most of the courses there and so I know pretty much whether they are worth the money or not. The best deal I found was Grande Dunes for $65. That's a really good price for that course when you consider what others wanted (Tidewater $115, Barefoot $95, Arcadian Shores $65). Then I remembered that someone had suggested I try Eagles Nest sometime when I was down there so I called them. $35. The range was closed for repairs and there were some holes that were soaked (2 were cart path only) but even the wet holes were in great shape. They have mini verde greens that were as smooth as bent on all but the best kept greens. The staff was friendly and the pace wasn't bad. We were behind 2 older couples and it seemed like they were really slowing us up because we were a 3-some and they wouldn't offer to let us play through but we still played in 4 hours and that was with the group in front of us falling almost a hole and half behind the group in front of them. They could use a ranger or 2 for instances like that but other than that I would highly recommend this course for the money. The layout and conditions are much better than the price for a course in that area.

2016 M1 10.5 Fujikura Pro 60 Stiff
Callaway X2Hot 3W Aldila RIP Stiff
Callaway X2Hot 19° Matrix Radix S7 Stiff 
Ping i25 4i-PW KBS Stiff (soft-stepped)
Titleist SM7 52 8° F Stiff
Titleist SM7 56 8° M Stiff
Titleist SM7 60 4° L Stiff
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 34" Superstroke Flatso 2.0
Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 grips
Snell MTB Red (Optic Yellow)
Powerbilt TPS Cabretta Tour Glove
Callaway RAZR Laser

There's been an expansion of "Great Life Golf & Fitness" in South Dakota, and now that 3 out of 4 of my local courses (within 20 miles) have been added, I'm dropping my $1800 annual CC fees and joining Great Life next year.  They've got 22 area golf course + a number of fitness centers, all inclusive packages + recipricol memberships for courses in MN, IA, NE, MO & KS.

Course quality varies from small town 9 hole munis to what were formerly some of the nicer local country clubs.  Hoping to start my golf season early by driving south on I-29 to play in MO & KS a few weeks before the local courses open for play, as well.

Single $59.99/MONTH

Single + Unlimited Cart* $109.99/mo

Couples $69.99/MONTH

Couples + Unlimited Cart* $134.99/mo

Family $79.99/MONTH

Family + Unlimited Cart* $159.99/mo

http://joingreatlife.com/golf/

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

That is my membership! (I'm in Kansas City)

If you are heading down, St. Joseph Country Club is worth the extra $30 to play. It's where I grew up and learned to play. Over 100 years old, white sand, and it's always perfect.

Liberty Hills Country Club is my home course, and it's very nice. Some others worth looking at are Drumm Farm, Staley Farms, Painted Hills, and Canyon Farms in the KC area.

If you head to Topeka, Lake Perry is a definite, as well as Shawnee Country Club and Berkshire.

Damn and people complain that golf is too expensive in the US :D

I pay about $2500 for yearly membership, that's just the right to play. No balls, no carts and you pay about $15 extra for each competitive round/tournament.

The club I'm joining in 2017 has hosted several BMW and Deutsche Bank Championships (Europe), Honda Open, SAP Open, etc...

Too bad I hadn't started playing golf when Tiger teed it up there.

It's a pretty nice 27 hole course. Here is the link if you are interested:

https://www.gutkaden.de/en/golf/direction.html

EDIT: distances are in meters, not yards :)

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

There's been an expansion of "Great Life Golf & Fitness" in South Dakota, and now that 3 out of 4 of my local courses (within 20 miles) have been added, I'm dropping my $1800 annual CC fees and joining Great Life next year. They've got 22 area golf course + a number of fitness centers, all inclusive packages + recipricol memberships for courses in MN, IA, NE, MO & KS.

Course quality varies from small town 9 hole munis to what were formerly some of the nicer local country clubs. Hoping to start my golf season early by driving south on I-29 to play in MO & KS a few weeks before the local courses open for play, as well.

Single $59.99/MONTH

Single + Unlimited Cart* $109.99/mo

Couples $69.99/MONTH

Couples + Unlimited Cart* $134.99/mo

Family $79.99/MONTH

Family + Unlimited Cart* $159.99/mo

http://joingreatlife.com/golf/

holy crap..that's cheaper then two rounds for us in Canada ...if they did that here they would probably make way more money..one can only dream.

Sent from my iPhone while sitting at the 19th hole.

Damn and people complain that golf is too expensive in the US :D

I pay about $2500 for yearly membership, that's just the right to play. No balls, no carts and you pay about $15 extra for each competitive round/tournament.

The club I'm joining in 2017 has hosted several BMW and Deutsche Bank Championships (Europe), Honda Open, SAP Open, etc...

Too bad I hadn't started playing golf when Tiger teed it up there.

It's a pretty nice 27 hole course. Here is the link if you are interested:

https://www.gutkaden.de/en/golf/direction.html

Nice course.  Watched the video.  Silly me... I thought the island green was a par 3!!!    :)

Nice course. Watched the video. Silly me... I thought the island green was a par 3!!! :)

I still haven't memorized the course layout :D

:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

C9- Course Yellow

Ah! That's a nice hole... just note that distance are in meters, not yards :)

I think B9 is also an island green.

That is my membership! (I'm in Kansas City)

If you are heading down, St. Joseph Country Club is worth the extra $30 to play. It's where I grew up and learned to play. Over 100 years old, white sand, and it's always perfect.

Liberty Hills Country Club is my home course, and it's very nice. Some others worth looking at are Drumm Farm, Staley Farms, Painted Hills, and Canyon Farms in the KC area.

If you head to Topeka, Lake Perry is a definite, as well as Shawnee Country Club and Berkshire.

THANKS!!!

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Golf can be co$tly on Long Island... some deals can be found, if you're flexible about when .. eg. Twilight .. and where .. eg. how far you're willing to drive each way ... but in general public and daily fee courses are busy (ie. slooow).

But Private clubs on LI are co$$tly .. starting at like $10-12k/yr and going into the $20s (or way more!). So that's not in the budget for me, plus I don't really consider myself a private club person ..... especially after seeing Caddyshack and Happy Madison years before I ever even started golfing ;-)

There are a few OK public 9 hole tracks for $15 nearby which is where I usually play. Yeah they're shorter but you get to use almost all your irons and wedges.

There are also a few nice 18 hole layouts nearby which are not quite "championship", but they have good challenges and are well-maintained; $30 - $70 depending on season and time and residency status (county or town).

To save some money and to help out and to also sorta have a place to go to, I volunteer one day a week at the 9-hole course at a nearby VA, and they let you play once every day for free. Problem is.. this course has gotten quite popular with - dare I say - 'older' people and with beginners and with kids, too, so during the season it can take a loooooong w-h-i-l-e to play..........

There is one deal I've found, thru a local mag, for $39 you get a certificate for the greens fees at several area courses. You also have to pay the cart fee at each, even if you walk, and a few are mandatory carts, which is usually $20 - so overall not bad. You get to play courses you might not normally go to - and for much cheaper - but you may have to drive an hour each way.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I've been playing what was a premier course (Williamsburg National Yorktown & Jamestown courses)for a long time but, this summer they lost a few greens and a little trouble with the rest. But, if you just like to play to practice your ball striking and just take a 2 putt once on the green it is great.  We've been getting 18 holes and a cart for as little as $10 on golf now. 

:cobra-small: Max Superlite 9.5* Driver   :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 10.5* Driver    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 16* 3 Wood    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 19* 5 Wood

:taylormade-small: Mid Rescue - 2, 3, 4, & 5 Hybrids     :taylormade-small: M2 - 6 Hybrid

:cleveland-small: 588 Altitude 7-PW    :cleveland-small: Tour Action 588 52* Gap wedge   :cleveland-small: Smart Sole 58* San wedge

:cleveland-small: Frontline Elvado Single Bend 33" putter (testing)                   

:MLA: Target Adixion 33" putter

:titelist-small:  Velocity Golf Balls

Golf can be co$tly on Long Island... some deals can be found, if you're flexible about when .. eg. Twilight .. and where .. eg. how far you're willing to drive each way ... but in general public and daily fee courses are busy (ie. slooow).

But Private clubs on LI are co$$tly .. starting at like $10-12k/yr and going into the $20s (or way more!). So that's not in the budget for me, plus I don't really consider myself a private club person ..... especially after seeing Caddyshack and Happy Madison years before I ever even started golfing ;-)

There are a few OK public 9 hole tracks for $15 nearby which is where I usually play. Yeah they're shorter but you get to use almost all your irons and wedges.

There are also a few nice 18 hole layouts nearby which are not quite "championship", but they have good challenges and are well-maintained; $30 - $70 depending on season and time and residency status (county or town).

To save some money and to help out and to also sorta have a place to go to, I volunteer one day a week at the 9-hole course at a nearby VA, and they let you play once every day for free. Problem is.. this course has gotten quite popular with - dare I say - 'older' people and with beginners and with kids, too, so during the season it can take a loooooong w-h-i-l-e to play..........

There is one deal I've found, thru a local mag, for $39 you get a certificate for the greens fees at several area courses. You also have to pay the cart fee at each, even if you walk, and a few are mandatory carts, which is usually $20 - so overall not bad. You get to play courses you might not normally go to - and for much cheaper - but you may have to drive an hour each way.

I've only played once on LI, a long time ago.  Don't remember the course; somewhere near Brookhaven. I remember it was fall and it was cold, and it was relatively cheap.

Archived