TESTERS WANTED! ×

Wilson Staff Triton Still Non-Conforming?

GolfSpy Barbajo

Well ain't that a kick in the head...

The 9* model is good to go, but apparently there's an issue with the others.  Hmmmmm.....

More info to follow.

Wilson Triton drivers ruled nonconforming by USGA

55 mins ago
Wilson-Staff-Triton-1280x850.jpeg(Wilson)

The U.S. Golf Association has ruled that Wilson Golf's new Triton driver, which has been on sale since Nov. 25, is nonconforming under the Rules of Golf.

“The Wilson Staff Triton DVD with the 9-degree loft is listed on the conforming list,” USGA spokeswoman Janeen Driscoll said Dec. 12. “All other submissions of the Triton clubs were determined to be nonconforming to the Rules of Golf.”

The USGA would not specify the reason the club was ruled nonconforming. A retail source said a Wilson employee indicated there was a problem with the Triton's soleplate.

The Triton was the winning product in the Golf Channel reality series “Driver vs. Driver.” The series finale aired Nov. 22, with winning designer Eric Sillies of Cincinnati collecting the $500,000 first prize.

RELATED COVERAGE

On Dec. 5, the USGA placed one 9-degree Triton driver on its list of conforming clubs, apparently for use by one of its PGA Tour players. In a TV ad for the Triton, Wilson endorser Kevin Streelman says, “It's in my bag, and it should be in yours.” Streelman could not use the club in competition until it was placed on the USGA's list of conforming equipment.

The USGA's approval of that one driver did not extend to the thousands of Triton drivers currently available at retail for $450. Those clubs remain nonconforming, meaning they cannot be played in rounds used for handicap purposes or in tournaments governed by USGA rules.

Wilson hoped that the Triton would make a big splash during the holiday selling season and promoted the club with demo days that have run at dozens of shops and golf courses across the country. Retailers contacted by Golfweek in the days following the Triton's retail launch were unaware the driver was not on USGA's list of conforming clubs. Had retailers and consumers been aware that the Triton is nonconforming, it effectively would have killed sales.

Tim Clarke, president of Wilson Golf, said in a Nov. 26 interview with Golfweek that his company met with the USGA on Nov. 21 to discuss the Triton, but that a decision was weeks away. He said the tight timelines of “Driver vs. Driver” prevented the company from delivering Triton samples to the USGA in time to get a ruling prior to the holiday selling season. So Wilson gambled and went forward with the retail launch.

“When you're doing something that has not been done, you're taking calculated risks,” Clarke said. “Make no mistake, our intention was to have a ruling before the driver (hit retail).”

There was some indication the USGA wanted to expedite the review process because of concerns it would face criticism. The USGA sometimes has fought the perception that it is not receptive to equipment innovations.

Retailers contacted by Golfweek during the holiday weekend were unaware that the Triton is a nonconforming product. Products that are nonconforming are difficult to sell because they cannot be used in competition or for rounds used for handicap purposes.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ouch. That is a multimillion dollar mess up

:taylormade-small:  M3 460 9.5* - ACCRA TZ6 M5

:callaway-small:  X2 Hot Pro - 15* Aldila Tour Green X

TaylorMade Jetspeed 19* w Matrix HM9

Mizuno MP-63 4-P Project X 6.0

Cleveland RTX4 - 50, 54, 60

:odyssey-small:  Toulon Portland w P2 React Grip

:titelist-small: 2019 Players 4 -  :titelist-small: Pro V1

uh oh.....this could be an issue, especially for anyone who already bought it

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

I hope that Wilson is stand up about it and gives refunds.

Got a call into HQ - hope to here something back soon.

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

We are all interested to see if you hear anything John.

That's crazy! I tried the 9 degree a couple of weeks ago and the numbers weren't as good as my current driver. I should have asked for one of the other apparently illegal models. I bet I would have bombed those! :)

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

Pretty crazy stuff here. I'm guessing if this doesn't get worked out soon Wilson will not be having a Merry Christmas.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

In Wilson's statement on this, they admit they didn't test the configuration that didn't conform. Yikes; they already gambled on holding off on USGA approval to maintain secrecy, then didn't test every adjustment?

I'm rooting for them and glad to see them thinking out of the box, but these issues don't look good

WIT  :titelist-small: Sta Dry Bag:

Driver:       :taylormade-small: '17 M2

Woods:     :taylormade-small: M2 3W and 5W

Hybrids:   :callaway-logo-1: Apex 3h and 5h  

Irons:          :mizuno-small:   MP 18 MMC

Wedges:   :callaway-logo-1: MD PM Grind, 56* and 60*

Putter:      :scotty-cameron-1: California Sonoma

perhaps they will just be able to ship conforming sole plates to those already purchased

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

• SPY VIP

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

lmaoemoji.jpg

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

What could be wrong with the titanium sole plate? Or is it the Carbon Fiber sole plate?

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

That's a kick in the butt for Wilson, just 1/8" can crash this.

Sure they will cover anyone that bought the ones without the DVD on the bottom.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

There are (2) issues with the Triton Driver that Wilson must address for the Driver to be conforming under the USGA rules:

1- The rear edge of the sole plate on the 10.5* and 12* models will need to be reduced by a few millimeters to conform to USGA rules.  Apparently on the 10.5* and 12* models, the rear edge extended a bit too far and violated the USGA's 'simple shape' rule.  Because the sole plate of the 9* is smaller, and shaped differently, its sole plate apparently does conform.

2- The 12-gram weight can no longer be part of the included Wilson Triton weight kit because with this weight installed, the Triton driver did not pass the CT (Characteristic Time) test.  There are no issues with the other Wilson weights however! 

Wilson plans to address both these issues immediately.  New (conforming) sole plates will be sent to all 'registered' Buyers of the 10.5* and 12* Triton Driver.  This will be done either by mail or via a Dealer exchange.

It is extremely important for Buyers to register the driver if they have not already done so.  My understanding is that the 9* Triton Drivers is conforming as long as the 12-gram weight is not used.

What's in Bobcat's Bag?  (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)

Driver: :taylormade-small: 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s, (1/2" tip)

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Tour issue 15* V-Steel 3W - Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff

Fairway/Hybrid: :taylormade-small: 15* Rescue Fairway "3-Strong" - VP-90 Stiff 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: #3 (19*) & #4 (22*) Rescue-Mid TP's - Vista Pro 90 Stiff 

Driving Irons: :taylormade-small: UDI #1 (16*) & #3 (20*) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff

Iron Set: :taylormade-small: SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff

Hybrid Wedges: :cleveland-small: 2011 Niblicks 42*PW, 49*DW, 56*SW - Stock

SW/LW: :cleveland-small: CG-16 Black Pearl 58* Low Bounce 8* - Stock Steel Shaft

Putter: :bettinardi-small: BBX-81 Blade - Stock Bettinardi Steel Shaft 

Great info Bobcat!

Here's the article that spells it out.  Sounds like it should be conforming this month.

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/wilson-tweaking-triton-driver-make-usga-conforming

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Wow..this is not a good thing for the company.  They have already been fighting the Box Set lower quality club stigma.  To the average weekend type golfers who don't follow golf closely like those of us on MGS this will be another reason they will shy away from Wilson Staff.    

I truly hate to hear this as I and I know most know the WS products of the last several years have been very good.  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I agree Carolina! I really hope they get this handled quickly. I was extremely happy to see them get so much publicity as I think they are one of the more honest club companies and more people need to try their products. This publicity is the opposite of what they need. They definitely make some of the best irons on the market. I've almost pulled the trigger on one of their sets several times.

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

Should see a blog post shortly -- embarrassing, to be sure, but not fatal. The issues are fairly minor - stuff that would have been caught long beforehand if this had been a normal launch cycle.  The deadline of the TV show finale forced Wilson to gamble a bit and they got their nose bodied a little.  

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Should see a blog post shortly -- embarrassing, to be sure, but not fatal. The issues are fairly minor - stuff that would have been caught long beforehand if this had been a normal launch cycle. The deadline of the TV show finale forced Wilson to gamble a bit and they got their nose bodied a little.

If I am Wilson, I am not worried about consumer backlash - I'd be more worried about the effect this has on relationships with retailers.

Blog post is up...

http://www.mygolfspy.com/wilson-triton-non-conforming/

You have to look VERY closely to notice the "Plain In Sight" violation - it really is just a few millimeters of materials that were removed. 

The weight issue is funny - Wilson doesn't even it list it as an option in the setup instructions...

Correction - it is listed in the instruction sheet, just not where I expected to find it.  That makes not testing it there a little worse -- if it's in the instructions, it should have been tested. I'm guessing they assumed no one using the Titanium sole plate would want to set up the driver for a high fade - if anything, they'd be fighting a high fade!

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

My Pro Shop had their display up this weekend....12 Drivers, Back four with Headcovers on, then two more rows of four with heads exposed...9* 10.5* & 12* 

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

lmaoemoji.jpg

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

That's a bummer. Hopefully this gets fixed soon. If the updated driver still performs, it won't matter.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

Blog post is up...

http://www.mygolfspy.com/wilson-triton-non-conforming/

You have to look VERY closely to notice the "Plain In Sight" violation - it really is just a few millimeters of materials that were removed. 

The weight issue is funny - Wilson doesn't even it list it as an option in the setup instructions...

Correction - it is listed in the instruction sheet, just not where I expected to find it.  That makes not testing it there a little worse -- if it's in the instructions, it should have been tested. I'm guessing they assumed no one using the Titanium sole plate would want to set up the driver for a high fade - if anything, they'd be fighting a high fade!

Sadly I was really wanting to hit a 10.5 in high fade lol 

although I guess I wanted to carbon sole plate. Whichever is lower spin.

I was hitting tons of low draws with the 9* set to standard. 

Wilson can still give me a 12g weight so we can see if the extra CT bump helps me at all  :D

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Update from the folks at GolfWeek -- 

Wilson is now saying it'll take 30-45 days to get the sole plates ready.

They're asking retailers to make the Triton off the floor and into the back room.

They're planning to relaunch the driver at the PGA show the week of January 23rd.

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

They're planning to relaunch the driver at the PGA show the week of January 23rd.

Launching as "New and Improved" or "Now Confirming" Brilliant!!

I have to think if this was TaylorMade people would be in an uproar saying it was marketing ploy to sell another wave of drivers.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Archived