Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Wilson Staff Triton Still Non-Conforming?

GolfSpy Barbajo

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update from the folks at GolfWeek --

Wilson is now saying it'll take 30-45 days to get the sole plates ready.

They're asking retailers to make the Triton off the floor and into the back room.

They're planning to relaunch the driver at the PGA show the week of January 23rd.

Absolutely brutal. So much for rushing the launch to match up with the show finale

I was actually dead on it when John posted it on the blog. I had just cleared the E-mails from my phone and was fixing to set it down when it beeped and came across. I sat there and read it several times then I called my buddy Bo-Bear. he is a club ho period and he was at the PGASS when they opened up and actually bought the first one sold retail on this beach. He thought I was messing with him because he is less computer savvy than I am. His son lives with him and is computer savvy so he is going to look up the details and contact Wilson for him.

Now I read the post several times BTW good reporting job there John and digested the info and thought about it on the way home and I have two questions.

On the "plain in shape" I am like WTH? The Nike Sumo was square and did not look plain in shape to anything I ever saw before

Now I understand the thing about the ball maybe not leaving the face quick enough and that brings up another can of worms. What I am going to ask next I need some opinions on especially from Adam who is a club designer and engineer. Everyone chip in if they will.

Say I take a conforming driver any brand and load the sole down with lead tape and then load up 10 grams on the toe wonder if it will show simular numbers to the Wilson? I wonder why this has suddenly came up quick.

Now I am not one to cheat but you could take the lighter sole plate and load it up to the weight of the non conforming one and lead tape any weight on the toe to get the same non conforming characteristics. Just some deep engineering thought. And on the Wilson only the 10.5 and the 12 are non-conforming with the weight and sole plate. I am wondering what loft has to do with the overall picture. this has also opened up another can of worms personally for me. As much as I have and always have jacked with weight using lead tape wonder if I have made some clubs in the past non-conforming?

Like I said before any and all opinions are welcome

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Well, guys, looks like it's the PERFECT club for the guy that always plays golf alone! They can't post a score for their handicap, so this is the perfect driver!

And, if they never play in tournaments, no issue there either! Hahaha!

No doubt this is a pain for Wilson, but after reading all that has to be done is swap out sole plates, I don't see it as destroying the brand... All will be good and by the time the whole country is back golfing, it'll all have passed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Update from the folks at GolfWeek --

Wilson is now saying it'll take 30-45 days to get the sole plates ready.

They're asking retailers to make the Triton off the floor and into the back room.

They're planning to relaunch the driver at the PGA show the week of January 23rd.

That's disastrous for Wilson. Having to take it off the shelves is going to kill any buzz that they had going for it. It's too bad because I think that it was a cool concept with the launch and show. We will see if they can recover.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

Sadly I was really wanting to hit a 10.5 in high fade lol

although I guess I wanted to carbon sole plate. Whichever is lower spin.

I was hitting tons of low draws with the 9* set to standard.

Wilson can still give me a 12g weight so we can see if the extra CT bump helps me at all :D

I already asked my rep to see if he can throw one in my locker for me! Lol

I already asked my rep to see if he can throw one in my locker for me! Lol

I'm gonna see my buddy at the shop this week to see what we can get going. Hopefully tons of yards.

Sent from my LG-AS990 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Ouch...That's what happens when you have a reality show dictating your time schedule for product production.  I'm surprised Wilson didn't do the filming in the early spring and have the all units tested out with the USGA in time for the Christmas season rush.  What I think the good we can take from this is that Wilson is making it right by notifying the customer and replacing the parts that will make the clubs conforming at no cost to the consumer.  I'm sure they will learn from this and not let it happen again.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

That's disastrous for Wilson. Having to take it off the shelves is going to kill any buzz that they had going for it. It's too bad because I think that it was a cool concept with the launch and show. We will see if they can recover.

I'm sure marketing will put a spin on it...maybe something like "Wilson Triton...too hot to sell at christmas time..."  LOL

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

Couple of more tidbits...

1. The only 9* head ruled conforming is the one Streelman, and very likely Barnes, will be putting into play in early January.  Retail versions are non-conforming and will need the new sole plate. 

2. The Plain in Sight deal has to do with what the USGA classified as a dual cavity. Apparently the sole plate stuck out too much and created what the USGA calls a dual cavity. Wilson agreed that it wasn't a dual cavity, but the USGA disagreed, hence the shaving of a couple of millimeters. In basketball terms, that's a ticky-tack foul, at best.  

Frank Thomas - the USGA official who was a judge on the program - did not believe the sole plate would be a problem and helped Wilson argue its case before the USGA. 

3. Golf Digest reported this morning, and I'm trying to confirm, that the CT in the offending configuration (12 gram weight in the toe, 6 gram weights in the heel and back with the heavier Titanium sole plate) exceeded the limits by 1 microsecond - or one millionth of a second.  The CT limit is 257 microseconds (239 plus a tolerance of 18), and the Triton apparently measured at 258.  This configuration would have resulted in a swing weight in the E6 range, meaning that configuration would have been for a power-lifter who fights a severe hook.

But...rules are rules.  The Plain in Sight issue is debatable, maybe even BS -- but Wilson should have tested that configuration, either that or not list it as an option.  That one's on them....over 1 freaking microsecond.

Big picture- the driver is non-conforming, but it's pretty minor stuff that's easily fixable. It's a pain and embarrassing, and it will cost Wilson some money, but it's hard to call the whole thing a failure. It's still a pretty darned good driver and nothing about what's non-conforming has any affect on the performance any of us would ever experience (1 microsecond!!!!!).

Have had some guys commenting on the blog that this is what you get when you farm R&D out to amateurs. If you followed the show you know that's not the case. The contestants came in with ideas, and then worked with Wilson's R&D to finalize the product - it certainly wasn't these guys off by themselves coming with a final product, but, as is often the case in today's world, things like details, facts and reality get lost in the rush to judgment. 

I'll give Wilson a ton of credit for breaking the mold for product launches - they've created more buzz for Wilson Staff than I can remember and the reality is, it's not your mistakes that define you, it's how you handle those mistakes. Wilson has always been pretty candid with me about their missteps, and has taken ownership of them.  This is no different. It's a misstep, and will probably undermine some of the momentum the brand earned during DVD, but in a few weeks, once the fixes have been made, it'll be a footnote.  

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I agree Barbs about people commenting on things they don't know about (R&D) as a matter of fact while watching the show, I wondered if Wilson R&D had gotten too involved.  By that I mean will the final product (again I was thinking this 3 or 4 episodes in, well before he final) resemble anything like the contestants original; design, or will WS R&D had to make so many adjustments to make it, work, look good and be compliant (ooops) 

I still think it's  a big bump in the road that Wilson would certainly rather not have had to deal with, and i think it will hurt brand image in some minds.  But in the end, interest in the driver will probably still be there by the die hard golf fan.

Also thanks for the comments on Frank Thomas, I know myself and a lot of people were wondering how this could have happened with him being there to catch everything conforming related.  But it sounds like the non conforming parts were so tedious that even he didn't think it was an issue. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Couple of more tidbits...

1. The only 9* head ruled conforming is the one Streelman, and very likely Barnes, will be putting into play in early January. Retail versions are non-conforming and will need the new sole plate.

2. The Plain in Sight deal has to do with what the USGA classified as a dual cavity. Apparently the sole plate stuck out too much and created what the USGA calls a dual cavity. Wilson agreed that it wasn't a dual cavity, but the USGA disagreed, hence the shaving of a couple of millimeters. In basketball terms, that's a ticky-tack foul, at best.

Frank Thomas - the USGA official who was a judge on the program - did not believe the sole plate would be a problem and helped Wilson argue its case before the USGA.

3. Golf Digest reported this morning, and I'm trying to confirm, that the CT in the offending configuration (12 gram weight in the toe, 6 gram weights in the heel and back with the heavier Titanium sole plate) exceeded the limits by 1 microsecond - or one millionth of a second. The CT limit is 257 microseconds (239 plus a tolerance of 18), and the Triton apparently measured at 258. This configuration would have resulted in a swing weight in the E6 range, meaning that configuration would have been for a power-lifter who fights a severe hook.

But...rules are rules. The Plain in Sight issue is debatable, maybe even BS -- but Wilson should have tested that configuration, either that or not list it as an option. That one's on them....over 1 freaking microsecond.

Big picture- the driver is non-conforming, but it's pretty minor stuff that's easily fixable. It's a pain and embarrassing, and it will cost Wilson some money, but it's hard to call the whole thing a failure. It's still a pretty darned good driver and nothing about what's non-conforming has any affect on the performance any of us would ever experience (1 microsecond!!!!!).

Have had some guys commenting on the blog that this is what you get when you farm R&D out to amateurs. If you followed the show you know that's not the case. The contestants came in with ideas, and then worked with Wilson's R&D to finalize the product - it certainly wasn't these guys off by themselves coming with a final product, but, as is often the case in today's world, things like details, facts and reality get lost in the rush to judgment.

I'll give Wilson a ton of credit for breaking the mold for product launches - they've created more buzz for Wilson Staff than I can remember and the reality is, it's not your mistakes that define you, it's how you handle those mistakes. Wilson has always been pretty candid with me about their missteps, and has taken ownership of them. This is no different. It's a misstep, and will probably undermine some of the momentum the brand earned during DVD, but in a few weeks, once the fixes have been made, it'll be a footnote.

This is great, detailed info! It's a small consolation that the issues weren't large oversights by Wilson.

I am a little surprised that Frank Thomas, who was constantly harping on the USGA legality of ideas, didn't pick up on this. I guess the argument over a "dual cavity" can be somewhat of a difference of opinion.

So if that is the only configuration that is illegal, why are they getting rid of the 12 gram weight altogether? Any thoughts besides the possibility of selling an illegal driver?

I agree Barbs about people commenting on things they don't know about (R&D) as a matter of fact while watching the show, I wondered if Wilson R&D had gotten too involved. By that I mean will the final product (again I was thinking this 3 or 4 episodes in, well before he final) resemble anything like the contestants original; design, or will WS R&D had to make so many adjustments to make it, work, look good and be compliant (ooops)

I still think it's a big bump in the road that Wilson would certainly rather not have had to deal with, and i think it will hurt brand image in some minds. But in the end, interest in the driver will probably still be there by the die hard golf fan.

Also thanks for the comments on Frank Thomas, I know myself and a lot of people were wondering how this could have happened with him being there to catch everything conforming related. But it sounds like the non conforming parts were so tedious that even he didn't think it was an issue.

I only watched a few episodes, but rarely do prototypes look the same as the final product for good or bad :) I still think if they didn't have it on such a tight schedule, then they could of found out about the issues and fixed it prior to launch. Still, as I said earlier, they are willing to address the issue so that still keeps them in my good graces. Besides, i like what Wilson has been putting out recently so this is really a minor bump for them.

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

The guys from GolfWeek have been all over this from the get go -- good reporting on their part.

Here's a visual of the sole plate issue, and some good detail on what Wilson is doing to make sure the driver conforms...

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Thanks John, it appears those who already have the driver will get a dozen golfballs in exchange for the 12 gram weight....so how long will it take for Wilson to get conforming sole plates out to the dealers?  My Pro Shop has 12 and they have 12 more at their other golf course recently reopened.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Thanks John, it appears those who already have the driver will get a dozen golfballs in exchange for the 12 gram weight....so how long will it take for Wilson to get conforming sole plates out to the dealers? My Pro Shop has 12 and they have 12 more at their other golf course recently reopened.

Per an earlier post they said 30 to 45 days for Wilson to get the new sole plates

Per an earlier post they said 30 to 45 days for Wilson to get the new sole plates

What he said -- they're planning a major marketing relaunch in the middle of January, so the plates will need to be ready by then. Haven't heard back from Wilson regarding the now absent 12 gram weight, and what that will do to the possible adjustment options.  

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

What he said -- they're planning a major marketing relaunch in the middle of January, so the plates will need to be ready by then. Haven't heard back from Wilson regarding the now absent 12 gram weight, and what that will do to the possible adjustment options.  

Maybe they could make it 11 grams?   :)

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Still I applaud them for pushing the envelope. If you really are trying to innovate whether it is just in creating market buzz and face it they needed the adrenaline you are going to have failure otherwise you are just walking the safe well worn path. Which would have produced yet another same thing we've always seen welcome to the party tmade callaway ping already own have fun fitting for next with cobra and touredge. They need to make conforming plates and ship them to stores and all current customers and move forward. Turn the negative into positive as much as they can we are pushing limits of innovation and time to market but we always have your back.

They are lucky this is happening in the winter and not the spring or summer. could you imagine amateur players having to take these out of their bags during tournament season. 

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

The shop at my work got some demos of these in and we had to take them off the floor since they didn't get approved. There is now more interest in them than before. All these golfers want those extra "illegal yards". Guess this situation is similar to the old Nike driver problem where some weren't conforming.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using MyGolfSpy mobile app

The shop at my work got some demos of these in and we had to take them off the floor since they didn't get approved. There is now more interest in them than before. All these golfers want those extra "illegal yards". Guess this situation is similar to the old Nike driver problem where some weren't conforming.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using MyGolfSpy mobile app

There is certainly a market for those!!  I suppose that the refit of the club will be significantly different from the non-conforming club so people will know which club is being used.  Anytime someone is playing the Triton, you can bet that it will be checked!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Maybe it's been said, but what are the differences in the 2 clubs as far as how it affects the golf ball on impact?

I'm curious how the 2 perform side by side and if there are any stats to see.

Tazz

Sent using the MGS app!

@bigtazzGOLF on Twitter

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

The sole is 1 mm too long and the 12 GM weight must be removed as it allows the ball to stay on the club face longer than allowed. The fix is new sole plates and you will get a dozen Duos free for turning in the 12 gram weight.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Maybe it's been said, but what are the differences in the 2 clubs as far as how it affects the golf ball on impact?

I'm curious how the 2 perform side by side and if there are any stats to see.

Tazz

Sent using the MGS app!

@bigtazzGOLF on Twitter

It's my guess that not a man, women or child alive today could tell, see or feel the difference. The plain in sight thing has no bearing whatsoever on performance, and the offending setup with the 12 gram weight exceeded the USGA CT limit by 1 microsecond - or 1 one millionth of a second.  

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I don't want to sound stupid, but what is the significance of "DVD"?

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

I should start by saying that I have a soft spot for Wilson.  I have met Michael Vrska, Tim Clarke and members of their team, and they are smart, friendly and passionate about their products.  They are making some extremely good equipment in recent years.

However, this has been an embarrassing failure.

1.  The show was not as good as it could have been.  While the concept was interesting, I lost interest after the first two episodes dragged on with ridiculous concepts that had zero chance of seeing the light of day.  I watched sparingly for the rest of the season until the next to last episode, which was far and away the best, with athletes hitting the drivers in Tahoe.  The finale was an hour long slog of families and contestants saying "Boy, I sure hope this design wins.  That money sure would mean a lot." followed by them announcing the winning design.  At no time in the final 2 episodes did they offer a rationale for why someone's design wasn't chosen.  Just "Sorry, you're out."  Long story short, the show was hard to watch, despite its many merits.

2.  The driver being released before passing muster with the USGA is inexcusable.  They could have submitted all of the prototypes for evaluation once they reached that stage without ruining the ending.  They could have done any number of things.  However, what they did was release a driver with their fingers crossed, and the USGA seemed excited to burn them for it.  They may not recover from this.  I hope they do, but they may not.  They surely will have trouble recovering their investment directly through sales of the Triton, though all the ball commercials during the show might result in an increase in sales (by the way, since I'm on the subject of balls, why not tell us what's up with the FG Tour just disappearing?).

I want a Triton.  I don't want to pay $450, but I would definitely consider this driver.  However, the market is poised to wash away all the buzz with tons of new releases coming up without the spectre of USGA non-conformity hanging over their heads.  As much as I want this to be a home run, it's starting to look like a double off the wall where the guy gets thrown out going for a triple.

Driver:              :callaway-small: Big Bertha Alpha Double Black Diamond 816

3W:                 :titelist-small: 915F

3h:                  :titelist-small: 816H

5-GW:              :wilson_staff_small:  C200 w/Aldila Rogue

54, 58:             :ping-small: Glide

Putter:             :bettinardi-small: BB40

I don't want to sound stupid, but what is the significance of "DVD"?

Driver vs. Driver

Driver:              :callaway-small: Big Bertha Alpha Double Black Diamond 816

3W:                 :titelist-small: 915F

3h:                  :titelist-small: 816H

5-GW:              :wilson_staff_small:  C200 w/Aldila Rogue

54, 58:             :ping-small: Glide

Putter:             :bettinardi-small: BB40

Archived