TESTERS WANTED! ×

TESTING: Independent Ball For MyGolfSpy Testing

GolfSpy_X

Please excuse me if I'm misunderstood here... however, surely it makes little to no difference at all what brand the test ball is? Surely the important thing is to have a known value (the same comparative) with each test that is done? Therefore you have comparable data, so if all the ball tests have been done with the Bridgestone then it would make sense to continue with that, otherwise you'd have to choose another ball and retest everything against that.

Is this just manufacturers marketing stirring things up?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

simply put, no matter what you test, there are conflicts of interest just ask your wife! no matter how your treat the test, there are flaws. just ask your wife! no matter what results you post, there are

naysayers, just ask your wife

so

if you want to know what is the ball--what do you do ? you got it-- JUST ASK YOUR WIFE- "nough said"

so post your test- we trust your opinions- just ask your wife!

I totally understand and agree. Some people no matter who you are or how much you try to say it will NOT believe there isn't some type of bias. Some may even go as far as to suggest that the Bridgstone results are better/higher/skewed due to the balls being "matched to the equipment". A tour pro my be able to notice the subtle nuisances (if any) that keeping the consistency with ball to equipment provides, but not the average player. That being said.... I 100% agree to going to a ball that isn't affiliated with anyone but MGS. Well thought out, and well done team!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

Just choose Vice or Snell, they don't make clubs, both balls have been proven performers, and they are readily available to anyone with the internet or a phone. If you flip a coin to choose between the two then fate will be the decider and you can direct detractors to speak with fate if they have any issues.

"I'd play a ladies set of clubs if it allowed me to break par."

PING G410 LST Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6

Titleist 17, 19, and 21 degree 818 H2 Hybrids

Ping G700 5 - GW

Titleist Vokey SM7 54 Wedge

Titleist Vokey SM7 58 Wedge

Evenroll ER3

Snell MTB-X

I get Bridgestone being a little "butt hurt", but I would think they would still be happy to have their ball chosen for testing because it validates that ball as the best " all around ball" for most players.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

So with Bridgestone agreeing to another year (2017) of supplying balls for testing, where does this MGS ball stand? Is this something still in the works or did the Bridgestone bridge remain intact?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: 10.5* XR16 R Flex

Woods: :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha V-Series 3 Wood R Flex

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 913H 21* R flex

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: C300 4-PW R Flex

Wedges: :titelist-small: SM5 50*, 54*, 58*

Putter: :cleveland-small: 2135 Cero 33" / :odyssey-small: EXO Seven S 33"

Ball testing is just so subjective. No one will ever be truly happy. Honestly we all want to play a cheaper ball and will be happy if it's anywhere close to the high-end ball.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...

I would stick with the Bridgestone ball. If you aren't getting paid to use them then who cares what Bridgestone thinks or is mad about. The b330-rx is a solid all around ball that you can get way cheaper than a pro-v1 so MGS will be able to put more money into testing other things.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver-10.5° M2 HC Hzrdus red 5.5

Fairway-15° M2 HC Hzrdus red 5.5

Hybrid-19° M2 HC Hzrdus black 5.5

Irons-4-PW Nike Covert Forged 105 Modus

Wedges-50°+54° RM-21 105 Modus 58° DJ-22

Putter-Machine M9 Mokume Gain All Damascus

Bag-Nike Platinum Modern Cart

Sounds like a Titleist commercial...

The hardest part of any scientific test is eliminating variables. If I test one club with a Snell, one with a kirkland and one with an MG and all the results are different how can you attribute what difference was the club vs what was the ball? You can't, so you need to eliminate that variable by using the same ball for all testing.

It doesn't really matter which ball is being used, I'll agree to that part. Like X said though with Bridgestone clubs being tested now you have a potential for reader to perceive a conflict of interest in that test. There isn't one, but some won't believe that no matter how many times it's said.

Going to a ball that is made specifically for MGS leaves them beholden to no one in the industry for supplying balls for testing. It also won't put them in a bind when they perform a test that someone in the industry doesn't like and decides to take their balls and go home.

Personally I like it and can't see a down side other than MGS now have to buy their own golf balls.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I agree with Plaid. I don't think he meant using different balls for the same test, but selecting 3 or 4 balls that you guys like. And rotating them from test to test.

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• 4 weeks later...

That is awesome, I would love to see a full independent ball testing of all the little guys vs the big guys. I moved to vice balls a few years ago and I absolutely love them. Not to mention the money savings is a nice perk as well.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Sean - New Lenox,IL Play RH HDC 7

What's in the Bag:

Driver Callaway Great Big Bertha

Fairway Nike Vapor Fly

Hybrid Nike VR-S Covert 2 Tour

Irons/Wedges:Callaway Apex Pro 16

Volkey SM5 50/55/60 degree

Putter Benttinardi Studio B

Hey, if MG Golf can get the C4 ball produced and marketed, why couldn't NGS get a ball made, as in the pics posted by Adam at the beginning of this thread?

That would eliminate all current brands from any collusion.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I'd like to put all the talk about ball testing aside for a moment and ask where can I get some MGS logo golf balls. I collect them, but normally don't play them. In this case, I'd be honored and proud to play those all day long.

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I was thinking the same thing.  I need one for the ball cabinet collection! 

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM6 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

Archived