Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

TESTING: Independent Ball For MyGolfSpy Testing

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

Hey Fellas,

Just wanted to possibly get your feedback on something we have been kicking around.

FULL TRANSPARENCY: After the Kirkland vs Titleist test was completed it caused quite the shake-up.  There were lots of calls, emails, texts being sent around.  All trying to fully understand the impact this test would have on those in the industry.

Up until this point we have used a Bridgestone ball for testing.  When we first began our search for our test ball to be used in Most Wanted testing we had a checklist of items that needed to be addressed.

The Bridgestone ball was able to check off all those items on our list.

- It did not conflict at the time with the equipment we were testing (Clubs)

- It was known to be a very consistent ball regarding QC

- It was readily available to consumers

- It was made for different types of golfers

- etc, etc.

Since that time quite a few things have changed:

- Bridgestone clubs were also tested now (perceptual conflict of interest by consumers)

- It seems odd to talk about a ball during club tests, when it should just be a controlled variable

- We have grown a tremendous amount since that ball was chosen. Exploring options like this are part of trying to get consumers better information in our eyes.

Also I have now heard from multiple sources that Bridgestone is unhappy with our Kirkland test and possibly not wanting to be a part of Most Wanted testing in the future.  At the end of the day I can understand their frustration but at the end of the day the consumer is always first at MGS and promoting a top performing company, brand or product will always be secondary.  

Moving forward the more independent we become the better.  So, I just wanted to show you something we are working on and hopefully get your feedback.

Thanks!

logo-front.png

logo-side.png

#TruthDigest

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice! MGS purchased the factory where Kirkland's are manufactured? :D

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Sounds like a bunch of whiners!  As if the very small production of kirkland Balls could affect the financial outcomes of golf industry leaders like Bridgestone & Titleist.....

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I like Bridgestone and I get why they are mad, but that test was something that most of us wanted to see. 

GSX- power to the player

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

I didn't know you guys used a Bridgestone ball for testing, etc. But then again I probably didn't read the reviews closely enough. Why not just used a mixture of balls? Bridgestone, Titleist, Snell, Kirkland, Wilson, Callaway, MG, etc. etc. I don't see any point in using a mystery ball with your logo on it. That just clouds the issue. Then you'll have to defend your own mystery "control" ball. Stick with what everyone already knows, plays, and trusts.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

• SPY VIP

I didn't know you guys used a Bridgestone ball for testing, etc. But then again I probably didn't read the reviews closely enough. Why not just used a mixture of balls? Bridgestone, Titleist, Snell, Kirkland, Wilson, Callaway, MG, etc. etc. I don't see any point in using a mystery ball with your logo on it. That just clouds the issue. Then you'll have to defend your own mystery "control" ball. Stick with what everyone already knows, plays, and trusts.

Multiple ball makes would be very difficult to insert into the experimental design for the testing. A single ball removes all of that variation.

If the ball is constant, then the performance variation produced can be attributed to the clubs. If the ball varies as well, then you cannot say that the variation in results came from the ball or the club.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Sounds like a Titleist commercial...

The hardest part of any scientific test is eliminating variables.  If I test one club with a Snell, one with a kirkland and one with an MG and all the results are different how can you attribute what difference was the club vs what was the ball?  You can't, so you need to eliminate that variable by using the same ball for all testing.

It doesn't really matter which ball is being used, I'll agree to that part.  Like X said though with Bridgestone clubs being tested now you have a potential for reader to perceive a conflict of interest in that test.  There isn't one, but some won't believe that no matter how many times it's said.

Going to a ball that is made specifically for MGS leaves them beholden to no one in the industry for supplying balls for testing.  It also won't put them in a bind when they perform a test that someone in the industry doesn't like and decides to take their balls and go home.

Personally I like it and can't see a down side other than MGS now have to buy their own golf balls.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

• SPY VIP

I'm even more confused on how this solves things.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

I get why your considering a bon branded ball.

But just me personally as a consumer. I would have more questions about an unbranded ball than I would concerns over conflict of interest.

If you feel the 330RX has always been a good all around ball to conduct the rest. Then I would stick with that and to any nay sayers. Say we are sticking with what we know works.

Some will cry impartial. But haters going to hate.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

• SPY VIP

You just have to go with the one that gives you the least damns.

That's a good really good point about consumers questioning an off brand ball.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't

#TruthDigest

I like the idea of using a ball most people are at least a little familiar with hitting.  If you use a non-branded ball I would want to see a ball test with that ball against a lot of other balls that I have the chance to hit so I know how it compares.

I like the idea of using a ball most people are at least a little familiar with hitting. If you use a non-branded ball I would want to see a ball test with that ball against a lot of other balls that I have the chance to hit so I know how it compares.

No doubt a ball comparison test is the first thing they do.

People will probably have conspiracy theories about the ball being made to favor some specific manufacturer.

I would go with the ProV1.

They are the standard, and all "similar performance for 1/2 the price" balls are compared to it.

Titleist doesn't send clubs for consideration, so it's a totally unbiased ball.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Why not someone who only makes balls, like Snell?

Because they are not readily available in stores like Bridgestones are

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I think everyone that matters know that the MGS testing will be fair no matter what ball is used.  The idea is to test clubs against each other which can only be done using the same ball for all.  Will some clubs be better with certain balls over others, maybe.  I bet the relative difference is immaterial given the variables in human testing.  But that could be another test.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Since you're bringing it up here, I'm sure you guys have already dabbled the idea out there to your contacts. I think as long as you are able to produce a product that at least mimics the top of the line balls currently on the market then it brings that constant to the equation.

That's one of the things I like about MGS-- you guys give opinions regardless of how it affects the top companies.

Now if you guys come up with the next Pro V1 killer then might those find their way into the store??😉

Would y'all go the route of an RX/RX-S again, or go urethane/multi-layer?

I noticed the hexagonal design in the ball pic... Just coincidence?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

The biggest problem is that you will never make anyone happy.   If you use your own branded balls and a club doesn't perform,  it is the balls fault.  Ultimately companies and many consumers seem to be afraid of MGS since you might say something negative about their product or what is in their bag.   People always ask for numbers and proof until you provide them the proof and then you did something wrong.  The bottom line is that you provide information for the consumer and the consumer has to digest that information and determine how it impacts them as a player.  

Ultimately if it makes it more tolerable for companies if you use your own branded ball then do that so we can get more products in for evaluation.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Well to me it just proves that companies don't want the truth. They just want to be praised so they can make millions of dollars off of us. They need to take that truth so they can try and be better. But they won't because that would dip into their profits.

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

you have to have a control (a factor that doesn't change) when your doing experiments/testing on anything using the same ball for every test is one of the easiest ways to do that and since none of the companies were using Bridgestone balls when they were developing their gear that was a good choice. But now Bridgestone clubs are being tested and they'll use their ball for testing when they create equipment so that ball can't be the one to use cuz of the possibility of results being effected. Creating a ball specifically for tests that won't be found anywhere else means no variables like "Bridgestone irons got high marks but is it because they were designed to work well with a Bridgestone ball?" It's all about making the results as unbiased and accurate as possible, which I think is a good idea by the way!Hope that helps a bit of the confusion.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

I think if MGS were to choose a "4-piece Urethane Tour Ball made in the same factory that makes many of the top performing balls in golf" people will accept test results without questioning the quality of the ball. Just saying urethane means tour level ball to many people.

I think a MGS logo ball made by Nassau Golf (Costco Ball Manufacturer) would be the best solution.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

I would use a tour level ball with the MGS logo on it and not give a flip what anyone thought about it. You're testing equipment not the ball.

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Or MGS branded balls might sell hotter than Kirkland! :D

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I see no issue with using a non-branded ball for the testing as long as it's high quality and comparable with the top balls on the market much like the Kirkland ball is. On a another note, I'm glad companies are taking notice of the performance of the affordable Kirkland ball. Maybe it will drive ball prices down for all the other manufacturers. Probably not, but we can dream.

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

Archived