TESTING: Independent Ball For MyGolfSpy Testing

Our Sponsors

I personally wouldn't mind seeing more use of the Snell MTB. Seems to fill all categories. Doesn't make clubs, available to anyone with internet, proven to be comparable to other tour style balls. I've played the ball all of 2016 and had a fantastic year doing so.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey Fellas,   Just wanted to possibly get your feedback on something we have been kicking around.   FULL TRANSPARENCY: After the Kirkland vs Titleist test was completed it caused quite the shake-u

MGS Most Wanted driver test 2017--to be published late 2018. Sorry, we had to test every club with every ball on the market.

That Kirkland ball test blew the socks off the industry, I can't see any ball company being happy with us.

Posted Images

Hey Judge (and everybody)- what if Kirkland did make clubs? Tour quality clubs at what, 15% markup? Talk about a coup...

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

Hmmm tough situation here, just buy up all the Nike overstocks and use those they don't make clubs anymore, solves that problem. Availability is an issue but this isn't that serious of an idea.

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero (8.5* HZRDUS Smoke Shaft)

3-wood:  :adams-small:  Tight Lies 2 (15*) 

5-Wood:  :adams-small: Tight Lies 2 (19*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 5-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR or a :srixon-small: Z-Star

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bridgestone was unhappy with you guys testing the Kirkland ball? In the golf ball world, everything is compared to the ProV1, and Costco's model is that they will only produce items under their name that meet or exceeds currently offered item from retail brand. 

I really like Bridgestone, play their balls and even won some here on MGS, but did they expect you to compare Kirkland Balls to them, or the fact that you discovered a ball that is equivalent to their main competitor for 30% of the price?

If Bridgestone is unhappy, then they can literally take their ball and go home ( or just not supply them anymore).  I know that us regular contributors/participants here know the MGS is unbiased and won't give a favorable unearned nod to anyone. 

I can see the benefit of switching to an unnamed ball with only the MGS logo, but is that a ball that non-regulars will accept? 

As others have said, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.  

• Like 3
What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Accra TZ5 Proto 65 M5 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Tour Blue 75X 

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, TT DG S300 HS 1x

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX 45.8, 50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S300

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

• 4 weeks later...

It unfortunately only makes sense to use the most used ball in golf. You want to hit the biggest target audience you can and unfortunately most people use prov1x or prov1. I'm not against you guys using those ones personally after being an avid reader of this site for a while now I just know that there are better alternatives

Sent from my XT1563 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER:                  :mizuno-small:  ST190, 10.5*, Fujikura  Atmos Black Tour Spec 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Wrap, midsize

HYBRIDS:    :adams-small:    Pro  2 hybrid 16*, Aldila Tour Red 75g, Stiff, Superstroke TX1 Midsize grip 

:mizuno-small:           JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Superstroke TX1 Midsize grip                                  

IRONS:            :cobra-small:    King Forged Tour 4i-pw, KBS FLT, shafts, stiff,  Superstroke TX1 Midsize grips

WEDGES:        rsz_scor-golf-logo.png        50, 55, 60 degree wedges with Genius 12 stiff flex,   Superstroke TX1 Midsize grips

PUTTER:       :odyssey-small:    O-Works Marksman 33.5", Superstroke 1.0 Flatso grip w/ 50g counter core

BALL:          :bridgestone-small: Tour B X                                                     

BAG:          :Ogio:              Cirrus Golf Bag 

Shoes:              Skechers                  Hexgo Control  Shoes

Agree with using balls that have the best chance of your audience having used them in the past. This probably keeps you with Bridgestone or switching to Titleist. I have used Snell and think they would make a good candidate as well, but less of your readers will have experience with the ball. I wouldn't go with an unbranded ball--transparency is better than any perceived brand favoritism.

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

Nice! MGS purchased the factory where Kirkland's are manufactured? :D

You win the internet today...

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

:bridgestone-small:  JGR 9.5*  Driver Graphite Design AD DI-6x 
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - AW)  KBS Tour 130x

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Wedges (54, 58)
MATI Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Mid Slim 2.0
:bridgestone-small: Tour B-RX

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with using balls that have the best chance of your audience having used them in the past. This probably keeps you with Bridgestone or switching to Titleist. I have used Snell and think they would make a good candidate as well, but less of your readers will have experience with the ball. I wouldn't go with an unbranded ball--transparency is better than any perceived brand favoritism.

Agreed Jiro.

Super Range.jpg

And so begins the ill-fated Super Range experiment.

• Like 1

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

• 3 months later...

if you decide on a generic ball it would be good to know the basic characteristics.  Cover material, layers, compression.... 

Your reviews are always more valuable than any other web site.   Keep up the great work. 

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

In my mind a good ball with tight tolerances is the most important part of the testing you guys do. Any variations between balls, even the same ball, could skew results.

• Like 1

WITB

Bag: Ogio Silencer Cart

Driver: 915D2 10.25 Anmkara Attitude

3/4 Wood: Currently MIA

Hybrid: 910H 21* Diamana 'ahina

Irons: 712 AP1 DGs300

Wedges: SCOR 50, 54, 58 KBS Genius12

Putter: Ping Ketsch w/ flatso 1.0

Ball: Bridgestone B330

Cart: Clicgear 3.5+

Why not go with the best selling ball as most of your readers will be familiar with it?  I suspect that's the Pro-V1.

Driver:  :ping-small: G410 Plus, VA Vylyn 75 Four
Woods: :cobra-small:F8 3 wood
Hybrids: :cobra-small:F8 17*, :callaway-small: XR 22*, 25*
Irons: PXG 0211 6 - GW
Wedges::ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 54/14, Zing LW
Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Craz-E

Leupold GX-4i3

Penalty Box: :EVNROLL:ER7, :ping-small: G25 irons

As long as the ball is manufactured to consistent tolerances, why even name it? You can just keep using Bridgestones and not say they're Bridgestones. Just say "the same, high grade, tour quality ball was used for all tests." Easy!

• Like 3

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

• 2 weeks later...

1. Why not do a most wanted ball test at the first test of the year? The variables to chose said ball are the previous years most wanted: Driver, woods, Irons, wedges and putters. Then the new years most wanted ball is the new constant variable for the year's clubs.

2. I am all for a MGS ball, but only if it doesn't affect the ability to test a wider range of clubs. I would be worried about the cost of balls limiting the clubs that can be tried that aren't provided. 

• Like 2

Andrew - Lexington, KY

Handicap: 12

Righty

Driver:  Taylormade M1 2017 Project X HZRDUS Black 70 x-stiff

4 Wood:  Callaway Rogue Project X HZRDUS Yellow 85 x-stiff

Hybrids:  Titleist 816 h1 21* Diamana D+ White 90hy

Irons: Srixon Z 565 4i, Z 765 5-PW Project X 6.5

Wedges:  Callaway MD3 50* & 54*, PM Grind 58* Project X 6.0

Putter:  Callaway O-Works Two Ball 34"

Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft X

Bag:   Ping Hoofer 14

As it stands, I'm not bothered by which ball is used.

If perceived conflict of interest is a concern, perhaps set up a rotation of different high end balls for the years testing.

Driver test could be Titleist, putter Bridgestone, Wedges Srixon etc. Smaller producers like Snell could also be included in the rotation. This should keep all manufacturers happy, and remove any hint of bias, particularly if you published the order ahead of time.

Another (probably less manageable) idea could be to retest the top 5 clubs in each category with a variety of balls. This would add dramatically to the complexity for MGS, but may add some useful data.

:ping-small:  G400 SFT with Aldila Xtorsion Copper Stiff
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods with Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:cobra-small: F8 4 Hybrid
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:mizuno-small: S18 Wedges 50,54,58
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

I think it's brilliant i believe you guys are right on track in theory the ball is just a controlled variable and every golfer should know by now that every golf ball is different and to me I think the Most Wanted lists are just a resource guiding us deplorable golfers in the right direction. Every golfer has a different swing and results can vary from golfer to golfer. I feel that if a company won't compete on level playing ground they have something to hide. Titleist I am looking at you.

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

I gave been gaming the Wilson Staff Duo Spin for the past 4 rounds.....with my new Hogan Ptx irons. The flight had been consistent with s mid trajectory and the ball stops then had s short rollout. Drives with my Wilson Staff Triton have been great. (195 - 251).

So far this has been a great ball.

Driver: Tour Edge Exotics EXS w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft BACKUP DRIVER: Cobra F8 w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft  Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3W(14.5*) & 5W(18.5*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrids: Tour Edge CBX 119 4H(22*)  with Project X Evenflo regular shaft Irons: Wilson Staff D7 5 - PW w/Recoil 460 regular shafts Wedges: Wilson D7 GW(50*) & SW(54*) w/Recoil 460 regular shafts; Cleveland RTX Zipcore(58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  Putter: 33" Slotline SSi 693 mid mallet Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat Blue).

Do it. As long as the ball is the same in all testing... I think the brand of the ball is not an important factor. Test the clubs without biased and leave the brands out of the balls. Well done guys.

• Like 1

Has anyone tried the Vice golf balls? My buddy buys them & said they are made in Germany. I've only hit the Vice Pro, spins a ton(too much for me). He loves a trend, is it a trend to buy balls exclusively on the internet? I can get Kirkland balls like i can ride a unicorn drinking Pappy Van Winkle 25yr old. My local Costco said they are not slated to get the balls this year. I am intrigued by it's unobstructed testing results from you guys.

Has anyone tried the Vice golf balls? My buddy buys them & said they are made in Germany. I've only hit the Vice Pro, spins a ton(too much for me). He loves a trend, is it a trend to buy balls exclusively on the internet? I can get Kirkland balls like i can ride a unicorn drinking Pappy Van Winkle 25yr old. My local Costco said they are not slated to get the balls this year. I am intrigued by it's unobstructed testing results from you guys.

I am a huge fan of vice, I play the pro. Just as good as a prov1 but less than half the price. I bought a dozen to test and after a few rounds and some short game work. I'm buying some in bulk. Also trying out the neon red just for S&G.

Andrew - Lexington, KY

Handicap: 12

Righty

Driver:  Taylormade M1 2017 Project X HZRDUS Black 70 x-stiff

4 Wood:  Callaway Rogue Project X HZRDUS Yellow 85 x-stiff

Hybrids:  Titleist 816 h1 21* Diamana D+ White 90hy

Irons: Srixon Z 565 4i, Z 765 5-PW Project X 6.5

Wedges:  Callaway MD3 50* & 54*, PM Grind 58* Project X 6.0

Putter:  Callaway O-Works Two Ball 34"

Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft X

Bag:   Ping Hoofer 14

• 3 weeks later...

The main problem I see is that these Kirkland balls are not available anywhere, so whats the point of testing them if they seem to be a one time thing?, or are they available in the US?