Spring Outing At World Woods Golf Club (FL) March or April 2017

Golfspy_CG2

Spring MGS Golf Outing   

6 members have voted

1. 1. What's your first choice of dates

• March 31 to April 2
    • April 7 to April 9
    • April 21 to April 22

After some discussion in a couple different threads there appears to be a simmering interest in having a MGS Golf Outing somewhere this spring.  So taking what little has been discussed already and putting it in one place for  a proposed outing this Spring.

Where: World Woods Golf Course, Brooksvillle Florida (about 45 minutes north of Tampa Intl Airport)    http://www.worldwoods.com/

When: Late March to Late  April   (March 31/April 2 or April 7/9 or April 21/23

Who: Any Interested MGS'er and Guests

So we know we have a least a couple long time MGS'ers in the area in Rev and Foz, and a couple new ones I believe as well.  The courses are ranked in the Top 100 you can play on many golf lists.  

Tampa is about as easy and affordable of airport as you can find to fly into.   

I've done a bit of searching on the course and the associated villas and the rates on golf go down significantly after April 1 and I'm thinking flights do as well.   I know Rev has mentioned the 2nd week or so of April would leave him out, so that might make the Weekend of April 7/8.  That is The Masters weekend, for better or worst, just so everyone knows.   The following weekend is Easter weekend, so that is definitely a no go.     The third weekend mentioned would be the latest I could go, as it starts to get into our busy outing season after that. 

I'm going to see if I can attach a poll to the thread, and feel free to vote and make any general comments or suggestions in the thread.  After we get some responses, we'll start seeing if it's realistically doable and narrow things down. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I guess it is easy to figure my vote Rob, 1st votes are not anonymous lol.  The 2nd week is most desirable to me but I could probably manage any of the 3.  I hope this comes to fruition. 

Driver -     Rogue ST Max
Woods -   Rogue ST Max  3, 5 & 7 Woods
Irons  -      Rogue ST Max                                                                                                                                                                                          Wedges -   Zipcore RTX 6 50°  CBX2   54* & 58*                                                                                                                                                          Putter -    Evnroll ER2
Rangefinder -  NX-10 Slope
Ball -  Vice Pro Tour Drip                                                                                                                                                                                            Bag -  Xtreme Cart 7.0 Bag Heather/Red/White

I guess it is easy to figure my vote Rob, 1st votes are not anonymous lol.  The 2nd week is most desirable to me but I could probably manage any of the 3.  I hope this comes to fruition. 

Shame on me for not voting in my own poll..LOL  I corrected that, so far the weekend of of April 7 to 9 has the majority  :D

Rob I'm voting for the 4/7 - 4/9 weekend.   This is a great idea to have members of this fine community come together and enjoy an awesome golf venue & make lifetime friends or enemies  ;)  lol...   jk on the enemies stuff.  I've been to several of these type wing dings and have never met a person I didn't have a good time with.  Good on you for taking charge and getting this up and going.

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Thanks OG, As I have time in the coming days, I'll gather some actual pricing info.  There is pricing on the World Woods site, but it's a bit complicated to figure out golf and villa pricing together.

But it looks like they can send a quote based on number of rounds of golf and nights and the size of Villa, hopefully i'll get to fire that off to them today.

Of course, I'll be near there from 3/21-3/30...figures.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Of course, I'll be near there from 3/21-3/30...figures.

I didn't list that one, but this was just a beginning point, if you could play that weekend and it works for others, it's not off the table.   Just trying to guage the genuine interest at this point then see about locking down a date.   Is it a family trip, or would you be free join any golf planned?

May be in Orlando the week of March 24th -- but no guarantees yet. 

Thanks for grabbing the bull by the horns - hope it happens!!!

Want to try putting together another Minnesota whoopdeedoo this summer as well.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

May be in Orlando the week of March 24th -- but no guarantees yet. 

Thanks for grabbing the bull by the horns - hope it happens!!!

Want to try putting together another Minnesota whoopdeedoo this summer as well.

Yeah, as I stated in the original post, my schedule is yet to be determined as well, but hopefully it works out.  

FWIW, I checked flights into TPA from BWI for the  April 7 to 9 weekend, only $155 with a monday am flight that gets me to  work by 9:00 AM    Not too bad at all.

I'll keep an eye out on any MN doing's, sounds like that would be fun. 

Can't skip out on school for golf, so count me out for that one. If you guy want we can try and do something down here in Naples. It would be free not including tip and travel expenses, but it would be an exclusive course where we would have pretty much the whole place to ourselves. I'm sure we will talk about it more as the summer gets closer

Sent from my Nexus 5X using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Can't skip out on school for golf, so count me out for that one. If you guy want we can try and do something down here in Naples. It would be free not including tip and travel expenses, but it would be an exclusive course where we would have pretty much the whole place to ourselves. I'm sure we will talk about it more as the summer gets closer

Interest peaked there for sure. I'll follow any goings on with that of it comes about this summer.

Sent from my LG-D850 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

April 9 is my birthday and April 22 is my wedding anniversary.   The wife likes me to be home on those occasions.   Plus I don't want to miss my presents from her, in a manner of speaking. 

You are wise!

Driver -     Rogue ST Max
Woods -   Rogue ST Max  3, 5 & 7 Woods
Irons  -      Rogue ST Max                                                                                                                                                                                          Wedges -   Zipcore RTX 6 50°  CBX2   54* & 58*                                                                                                                                                          Putter -    Evnroll ER2
Rangefinder -  NX-10 Slope
Ball -  Vice Pro Tour Drip                                                                                                                                                                                            Bag -  Xtreme Cart 7.0 Bag Heather/Red/White

I didn't list that one, but this was just a beginning point, if you could play that weekend and it works for others, it's not off the table.   Just trying to guage the genuine interest at this point then see about locking down a date.   Is it a family trip, or would you be free join any golf planned?

It's our annual family trip. If nothing happens that weekend I'm pretty sure Foz, Rev and Barbajo (if he's there) will probably play on the 25th.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Rob, I am down with any of those weekends.  It's a short drive for me.  Looking forward to teeing it up with you again.

Driver:              :callaway-small: Big Bertha Alpha Double Black Diamond 816

3W:                 :titelist-small: 915F

3h:                  :titelist-small: 816H

5-GW:              :wilson_staff_small:  C200 w/Aldila Rogue

54, 58:             :ping-small: Glide

Putter:             :bettinardi-small: BB40

Rob, I am down with any of those weekends.  It's a short drive for me.  Looking forward to teeing it up with you again.

Eric,..awesome to see you chime in.  it would be great to get together again for a fun round.   I'll keep this updated.

Note to all:

I did get some info back yesterday from Susan at the course.  The weekend of march 31 to April 2, they only have two villas left at $212 a night each (each sleeps 4)  which means a max of 8.  I'm sure that would be enough at least for a start.   Golf was $60 for the first round and $30 for a replay I believe.

it appears with the lowering of rates that week, it's a popular time.   I'll get some other quotes on that earlier weekend in March as well, just for comparison sake if nothing else. 

I am a bit out there, but I say 36 at World Woods one day and 18 at Southern Hills Plantation the next  ;) .  Southern Hills (not to be confused with Southern Woods, which is a sister property to WW) is about 20 minutes south of there, a Pete Dye design, and maybe the best course in the Tampa Bay area.

I would be interested in an outing to World Woods.  I have played both courses quiet a few times and it would be a great golf destination.  Two really good courses so you can play 36 without leaving the property.  There is a small snack bar in the club house to grab a sandwich between rounds. 

I don't know about the villas, when I've gone there our group stayed at the HI Express which is about 20 minutes down the expressway.  WW is about a mile or so from the end of the Sunshine Expressway.  

There is not much near the course, it is a good ways out in the country, I've wondered where the villas are located.  I will be down there in January and maybe learn more then.  

Pine Barrens is one of my favorite courses anywhere.  It is a driver friendly, where the emphasis is on approach shots.  Lots of variety in holes, lots of sand but NO bunkers, all sand plays as a waste area, even greenside.  Rakes are on the cart.  Greens can give you fits if you get above the hole.  Fun course.  

Rolling Oaks is a more traditional course, less sand and there are bunkers.  It is a really good course as well. 

Go on the website and register, you will get emails each month with specials.  Just print the emails and take them with you to the course.  I don't think I've been there when there wasn't some kind of email deal.  Sometimes it's one course or the other and sometimes it depends on day of the week. 

In the bag:

Driver:  Ping G 400 Max

Fairway: Ping G 400, 7 w

Hybrids: Ping G 25,  4

Irons:  Taylormade P 790, 4 through P

Wedges:  Titleist Vokey SM 7,  54  and 58

Putter:  Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7

I would be interested in an outing to World Woods. I have played both courses quiet a few times and it would be a great golf destination. Two really good courses so you can play 36 without leaving the property. There is a small snack bar in the club house to grab a sandwich between rounds.

I don't know about the villas, when I've gone there our group stayed at the HI Express which is about 20 minutes down the expressway. WW is about a mile or so from the end of the Sunshine Expressway.

There is not much near the course, it is a good ways out in the country, I've wondered where the villas are located. I will be down there in January and maybe learn more then.

Pine Barrens is one of my favorite courses anywhere. It is a driver friendly, where the emphasis is on approach shots. Lots of variety in holes, lots of sand but NO bunkers, all sand plays as a waste area, even greenside. Rakes are on the cart. Greens can give you fits if you get above the hole. Fun course.

Rolling Oaks is a more traditional course, less sand and there are bunkers. It is a really good course as well.

Go on the website and register, you will get emails each month with specials. Just print the emails and take them with you to the course. I don't think I've been there when there wasn't some kind of email deal. Sometimes it's one course or the other and sometimes it depends on day of the week.

Great info partner! I knew you would have some knowledge to share with us. ⛳️

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

• 1 month later...

I don't think I can make this work, but for anyone who's thinking about it, I've played the Pine Barrens course at WW, and it's top 10 I've ever played. This place also has close to the coolest practice area ever!

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

I come with buddies every Oct to Bonita/Naples area. We'll have to hook up for some golf!!

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

Played Pine Barrens on Sunday. It's in fantastic shape.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Yeah. I still have to see if this is going to work for me. Even if it's not an outing per se. I hope to get a round in with any of the locals if I do make it down.

Lots of things up in the air at the moment.

I would love to go but can't unfortunately. My two cents on the destination:

I was there in January, stayed in a villa three nights with my foursome. The golf was great. Loved the courses: driver friendly, wide variety of holes within each 18 and between the two 18's. being from the northeast, the impact of grain on the greens on reads and pace was a real learning curve, but l loved it. Vive le difference or whatever the phrase should be. The course amenities (locker and restaurant) are spartan, but the practice areas and courses are top notch.

The villas are comfortable and suited us fine. Ours was five minutes from the course. We were looking for low key, not night life. If you're looking for night life, good luck to ya in the Homosassa area, it's pretty rural.

The local Publix had good steaks, etc., so we ate really, really well. Actually we made way too much food. The villas really have all the domestic amenities, and if you stay in the one we did, has all the stuff we bought and left behind for next year :-)

We bookended our trip with rounds at TPC Tampa due to the proximity to the airport. IMO, WW was in much better shape. TPC, to be fair, probably sees many, many more rounds, but for the $$$, I was hoping for better, particularly around the tee boxes. And as the high HC in our group, I had to reload way too much with all the water.

Enjoy and I can't wait to hear about the trip.

<p>In my bag: Ping G LS Tec 9* Tour 65 Stiff, Cobra F8 3-4 wood HZRDUS Yellow 6.0, Calloway 21* X Forged Utility iron (steel stiff), Ping G30 white dot 4-9 Stiff 110 gm KBS tours  Scor 48,52,56,60 Wedges, Nike Method Core MC3</p><p>

I would love to go but can't unfortunately. My two cents on the destination:

I was there in January, stayed in a villa three nights with my foursome. The golf was great. Loved the courses: driver friendly, wide variety of holes within each 18 and between the two 18's. being from the northeast, the impact of grain on the greens on reads and pace was a real learning curve, but l loved it. Vive le difference or whatever the phrase should be. The course amenities (locker and restaurant) are spartan, but the practice areas and courses are top notch.

The villas are comfortable and suited us fine. Ours was five minutes from the course. We were looking for low key, not night life. If you're looking for night life, good luck to ya in the Homosassa area, it's pretty rural.

The local Publix had good steaks, etc., so we ate really, really well. Actually we made way too much food. The villas really have all the domestic amenities, and if you stay in the one we did, has all the stuff we bought and left behind for next year :-)

We bookended our trip with rounds at TPC Tampa due to the proximity to the airport. IMO, WW was in much better shape. TPC, to be fair, probably sees many, many more rounds, but for the $$$, I was hoping for better, particularly around the tee boxes. And as the high HC in our group, I had to reload way too much with all the water.

Enjoy and I can't wait to hear about the trip.

Thanks for all this. Very good info. Everything I've heard about the courses is all positive.

Thanks for all this. Very good info. Everything I've heard about the courses is all positive.

Happy to discuss privately as well. The booking process was, shall I say, different, than a typical vacation. Patience and diligence are required.

<p>In my bag: Ping G LS Tec 9* Tour 65 Stiff, Cobra F8 3-4 wood HZRDUS Yellow 6.0, Calloway 21* X Forged Utility iron (steel stiff), Ping G30 white dot 4-9 Stiff 110 gm KBS tours  Scor 48,52,56,60 Wedges, Nike Method Core MC3</p><p>

• 4 weeks later...

So my plans for my trip to Florida are starting to take shape.  Meaning I'm down to 2 possible sets of dates.

Right now the most likely is  April 19th to the 23rd

or 2nd option is March 22nd to March 26th.

In both these scenario's I'd be in the Tampa/Brooksville area from Friday afternoon to Sunday am or pm, haven't decided on a flight, that may depend on when I can golf with anyone.

Upon landing on Wed, I'd be renting a car and heading to PNS to visit mom for a couple day, then drive back on Friday to Tampa/Brooksville.  I have a very good friend who lives in Brooksvilel so I'd most likely stay with him both nights.   He's a member at Southern Hills but also plays a lot at World Woods.

So while this may not be a outing trip as originaly discussed.   What does the schedule look like for you locals on those dates?   Rev when will you have the clearance to play?   

• 3 weeks later...

Just bumping this up.   Ok, ever changing plans.  Now it looks like it will be the weekend of April 7-9.  With me arriving back in Tampa sometime early afternoon on the 7th.   My buddy who I'll be staying with in Brooksville, isn't keen on paying the $100 for World Woods (is it really that high that ime of year?)    He is a member at Southern Hills and says it's a wonderful course.   I'll ask him about how many guests can come out to play, if any of you are interested.   Rev, Foz, Eric?

I'm thinking Saturday AM probably, getting done early enough to watch Masters Coverage.  

So I plan on buying the ticket this week, up til that happens I guess anything can change.

Archived