TESTERS WANTED! ×

When to change irons?

dcorun

I've been playing the Cleveland 588 MT irons for about 3 years now. They still perform well for me and are one of the best irons I've played. That said, is it time to look for new irons with all the new tech and distance that is advertised with the BB OS, Cobra King OS, Z545 etc. Thanks for your comments.

Driver  - Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo 10.5 * Miyazaki Kua 5 / R Flex

FW - Sub70 Pro 4 wood 16.5 * Project X HL / R Flex

Irons - Cleveland Launcher CBX 4-PW Miyazaki Kua 6 / R Flex

Wedges - Cleveland Launcher CBX 50* & 54* Rolex Wedge Flex

Putter - Cleveland Frontline Elevado 35 "

Ball - On Core Elixer

It really depends on whether you see a big improvement in other irons.  The MT's are a great set and personally, I don't think you'll see that much of a difference and if you're hitting them well, it may not be worthwhile to change.  But if you have the urge, I'd hit the other sets multiple times and see if one catches your eye.  

With the 545, you may get similar forgiveness with a thinner profile if you prefer that.

WIT  :titelist-small: Sta Dry Bag:

Driver:       :taylormade-small: '17 M2

Woods:     :taylormade-small: M2 3W and 5W

Hybrids:   :callaway-logo-1: Apex 3h and 5h  

Irons:          :mizuno-small:   MP 18 MMC

Wedges:   :callaway-logo-1: MD PM Grind, 56* and 60*

Putter:      :scotty-cameron-1: California Sonoma

It really depends on whether you see a big improvement in other irons. The MT's are a great set and personally, I don't think you'll see that much of a difference and if you're hitting them well, it may not be worthwhile to change. But if you have the urge, I'd hit the other sets multiple times and see if one catches your eye.

With the 545, you may get similar forgiveness with a thinner profile if you prefer that.

Agree, and this general subject has been discussed in other threads also ..... demo, test, go and re-test and then demo some more!

Be open to trying brands or models you may not have considered, and always bring in one of your current irons (usually the 7i) to compare.

If you're picky about your ball then (to eliminate that variable) bring in one or two of your own to use in the shop hitting bay. And buy some balls or a hat or whatever on your way out :)

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Great suggestions -

I've been guilty of pulling the trigger on irons too quickly at times - I play my best golf when I find a set that is well fit and just stick to it. 

If you're happy with what you have you may want to keep riding that pony until it breaks down. 

Good luck

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

When you get tired looking at your current irons  :unsure:, jk...If you find another set that you are comfortable with and like everything about them, I would push the button and get them.  If you can't, I would wait until you find the right ones.  Check out your local golf store and get a feel or try them out and see what catches your eyes.  Happy hunting.  :D

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

When I feel the urge, is usually the right time for me. Ha

But seriously, some good suggestions from above. I will say I think all three of those are great options. I'd be happy with any of them

I know not everyone is a fan of Rick Shiels, but I rather enjoy him quite a bit. I litter lay just saw his review of the Cobra F7 yesterday. I was surprised he liked them as much as he did, he wasn't put off by the size at all really.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Great suggestions -

I've been guilty of pulling the trigger on irons too quickly at times - I play my best golf when I find a set that is well fit and just stick to it. 

If you're happy with what you have you may want to keep riding that pony until it breaks down. 

Good luck

I've been riding my pony (Cally Razr XF) for a looooong time now.   It would take a good size bronc to knock my arse off too.   With that said, those Srixon irons are pretty enough to make a country boy blush.   Sooooooo yea, I wouldn't mind taking em around the course a time or two.

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I don't know that there is a set amount of time with irons. I'd compare it to putters, if you feel like you need a switch then that's the time otherwise I'd leave it alone. Even in drivers and fairway metals I'm skeptical about companies improving on designs every year so I stick with equipment till it wears out or I see major improvement in performance.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

I would make a change if A) I felt like I needed something more forgiving/more workable. If you're not playing as much, find something easier to hit. If your game is going to the next level, find something that looks good, feels good and allows you to do what you want with the club or B) if I felt like I was leaving something on the table with what I had. My 8 year old set had s300s in them and they weren't stiff enough. I put the C-Taper Xs in my new irons and my dispersion really tightened up. Test a bunch of stuff and if it performs and you can't live without it, you have your new irons!

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

Needless to say I have been playing the same old irons mostly since 1990. There have been a couple of times when they have been out of the bag. Once when I played a set of MP-33s for a couple of years and when I was doing the R&D work for Championship Golf LLC with Infiniti and Alpha equipment. Now I did upgrade shafts a few years back. Now those old Macs are really worn and a friend of mine from another site sent me a pristine set just like them and I plan on rebuilding them this winter. But lately I have been playing a set of Callaway 2013 Forged X players CBs. I have sorta fell in love with those but not fully comitted yet like I am to old Macgregor blades. What really honestly scares me though is the fact I can work those Callys as good as any of my old Mac blades. I mess around with wedges a lot because I am an admitted wedge ho but when the money is on the line my old 588s are in the bag. I guess i am a little different from the average Joe on these golf forums but that is just me. I have a tendency to stick with works for me. Heck I have been with Direct TV since it started and I have been with Sprint on the phones ever since it started dating back to Nextel with the 2 way beep phones. Sorta off topic but when we got a new flat screen digital TV a few years ago my DTV boxes would not work with it. DTV sent a guy out to see. He gasped at our receiver boxes and remotes. He had to call in and talk to his boss. He had never seen any like ours. Ours were over 15 years old at the time. They ended up giving us new stuff for free. The supervisor even came out and told us we had been elegible for several updates for several years. I shrugged at him and said heck it has worked and has never given any trouble why change? The boxes worked good until I got the new fangled TV. Same thing with the phones I carried the same flip phone for 8 years 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I'm a bit like Stu - I seldom change anything for the sake of change. Having said that, if there's something new out, I'll certainly try it to see if there's any noticeable advantage. Since around 2005, I have been using more or less the same set up - so I guess that tells you something.

Ha ha! I have a very good buddy that is going on 9 years with his flip phone. He see's no reason to buy a "smart phone" since... in his words..... this old thing does a dumbass like me just fine...lol.

My Fiance still has a flip phone. She doesn't call her self a dumbass bit does say she's a dinosaur. Ha

She doesn't text much. But will occasionaly bang out one to me by having the the numbers three times to get the correct letters.

It seems so long ago, that is now we texted. Ha

Sent from my LG-D850 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Ha ha! I have a very good buddy that is going on 9 years with his flip phone. He see's no reason to buy a "smart phone" since... in his words..... this old thing does a dumbass like me just fine...lol.

Ha Ha I had to change mine was so old and used that all the writing was worn off the keys but that did not stop me because the frequent numbers I dialed were on speed dial. But the pad under the keys wore out and it got where the numbers would not respond when punched. In fact the guy at Sprint pulled the face plate off and showed me what was up. He said he had never seen a touch pad worn that bad. Yep I have had a smart phone for a year now but like your friend a dumba$$ owns it too

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Like everyone else said the best thing to do is to just hit them all against your current set and see how it plays out.

I'll also be the first to say it, and I can't believe it's not been said yet.  Go get fitted!  A good fitter is going to be able to tell you if a new set if going to be a big improvement over your current set.  It's also going to be very nice to get length/loft/lie/swing weight etc dialed in along with what shaft you should be playing.  It'll save you money in the long run and give you peace of mind that your new or current set works for you.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Like everyone else said the best thing to do is to just hit them all against your current set and see how it plays out.

I'll also be the first to say it, and I can't believe it's not been said yet. Go get fitted! A good fitter is going to be able to tell you if a new set if going to be a big improvement over your current set. It's also going to be very nice to get length/loft/lie/swing weight etc dialed in along with what shaft you should be playing. It'll save you money in the long run and give you peace of mind that your new or current set works for you.

This!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I was fitted for the 588 and had them adjusted a 1/2 degree upright. I may just have a itch that needs scratching. I will follow the advice I got and hit my 7 iron against the irons I listed. I may throw in the G series and the M1 and M2 since they seem to be on everyone's list also. Thanks and Happy Holidays to everyone.

Driver  - Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo 10.5 * Miyazaki Kua 5 / R Flex

FW - Sub70 Pro 4 wood 16.5 * Project X HL / R Flex

Irons - Cleveland Launcher CBX 4-PW Miyazaki Kua 6 / R Flex

Wedges - Cleveland Launcher CBX 50* & 54* Rolex Wedge Flex

Putter - Cleveland Frontline Elevado 35 "

Ball - On Core Elixer

Look, deep down inside we all want new shiny clubs :D  The question that needs to be answered is SHOULD WE.  If you have the itch to change to something new, then definitely go out there, look at what fits your eye, then test those clubs against what you have to see which one if any will have a practical benefit to you.  It may be that you don't get anymore distance or accuracy with the new set, but being the fact that it's a new set is enough to sway your decision to purchase it.  It may be that you find that the new irons increases your accuracy and distance while giving you the new club "smell".  It may be, like a great marriage, you know the 588 and how it fits your game and stay with it.  Either way do what makes you happy.  I will caveat this by saying once you start looking at new clubs, your old club's feelings will be hurt and will start mis-performing, forcing you to get a new set regardless  :lol:   Either way, make sure get fit and check out the shaft options that can potentially maximize your swing a bit more.

MDHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Hacker I will defer one thing but will admit I may be the only one. I like old beat up rusty clubs. In fact those 2013 Callys in my bag look out of place but I still have the rusty old 588s and rusty Cameron so all is not lost. I just like rusty old clubs but I will admit I ain't normal anyhow. I am the MGS resident rusty club ho

G

Hacker I will defer one thing but will admit I may be the only one. I like old beat up rusty clubs. In fact those 2013 Callys in my bag look out of place but I still have the rusty old 588s and rusty Cameron so all is not lost. I just like rusty old clubs but I will admit I ain't normal anyhow. I am the MGS resident rusty club ho

Rusty clubs are great, as long as it makes you happy Big STU! Not advocating change for change's sake :) my backup bag in FL has all my favorite clubs I still use, like an FT-5 driver, Cleveland titanium 3W, TM wedges circa 2002, and Tommy Armour silver Scott irons.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

• 4 months later...

To me, irons are the bread and butter of my game so I am reluctant to change unless it is really needed (IE swing changes, equipment failure, poor fit).  I am aware the tech changes all the time, but advances in club tech over a few years aren't going to transform your game. Plus being that your irons are only a few years old I can't imagine you are going to see a lot of difference in something new unless your swing has changed drastically and/or they were fitted improperly. 

But that being said I am also notorious of getting the "itch" for new stuff so I completely get the attraction to something new.  I think if you follow through with your plan to take your 7 and compare it against some new ones you will find that you confidently can keep the 588's in your bag.  Then while you are at the shop maybe buy something else new to scratch the itch. :)

:mizuno-small: ST180 w/Tensei CK Series Blue 60 Stiff
:callaway-small: Epic Flash 3w w/Project X HZRDUS Smoke 70 Stiff
:callaway-small: Epic Flash 5w w/Project X HZRDUS Smoke 70 Stiff

:titelist-small: 818 h2 w/Tensei Pro Series White 90 Stiff
:srixon-small: z545 (5-PW) w/ KBS C taper 120

:cleveland-small: RTX-3 CB 50/54/58 degrees

:seemore-small: FGP Original

:taylormade-small: Project a

Most people change irons when their game changes, the clubs wear out or they get a tax refund their wife doesn't know about.

M father is an interesting guy with a different philosophy...

My father is a fantastic golfer (he went head to head with Tom Watson in the 1966 Missouri state HS championship and lost by a stroke, later attended U of Arizona on a golf scholarship) and he changes clubs once a decade whether he needs to or not (just kidding, if they didn't fall apart, he would keep using them)! He is currently gaming some Tour Edge exotics from the mid 2000s that have rusty shafts, rusty heads and no more than 80% of the grips clinging to life on any one club. The soles of his irons are so worn, they have changed their bounce characteristics. His woods are a collection normally found in the the used bin at a city's cheapest muni course and his putter is an off brand I have never heard of that appears to be a Odyssey 2 ball design knock off. His bag resembles some sort of hobo bindle. Now, he is a member at a very nice, private club and every time the caddy brings out his decrepit sack of clubs and makes a futile attempt at engaging the "stand" feature, I have to swallow my laughter. Now, despite all of this, at the ripe old age of 68, he without fail kicks my ass up and down the fairway.

I'm sure at least one shaft will disintegrate soon and that means a decade has nearly passed and new clubs are on the horizon. He will undoubtably spend a solid five minutes researching "cheapest possible golf clubs", make his purchase and proceed to whip my butt all over again.

P.S. Will post pic of bag soon.

Edit: PPS, just so people understand how worn his gear is, he plays 200 plus rounds per year.

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

Most people change irons when their game changes, the clubs wear out or they get a tax refund their wife doesn't know about.

My father is a fantastic golfer (he went head to head with Tom Watson in the 1966 Missouri state HS championship and lost by a stroke, later attended U of Arizona on a golf scholarship) and he changes clubs once a decade whether he needs to or not (just kidding, if they didn't fall apart, he would keep using them)! He is currently gaming some Tour Edge exotics from the mid 2000s that have rusty shafts, rusty heads and no more than 80% of the grips clinging to life on any one club. The soles of his irons are so worn, they have changed their bounce characteristics. His woods are a collection normally found in the the used bin at a city's cheapest muni course and his putter is an off brand I have never heard of that appears to be a Odyssey 2 ball design knock off. His bag resembles some sort of hobo bindle. Now, he is a member at a very nice, private club and every time the caddy brings out his decrepit sack of clubs and makes a futile attempt at engaging the "stand" feature, I have to swallow my laughter. Now, despite all of this, at the ripe old age of 68, he without fail kicks my ass up and down the fairway.

I'm sure at least one shaft will disintegrate soon and that means a decade has nearly passed and new clubs are on the horizon. He will undoubtably spend a solid five minutes researching "cheapest possible golf clubs", make his purchase and proceed to whip my butt all over again.

Edit: PPS, just so people understand how worn his gear is, he plays 200 plus rounds per year.

FYI 68 isn't that old - it's the new 50!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

One thing that I have noticed with irons is the lack of changes made in the "Players Irons" category. I would be unable to comment on game improvement irons but I have tried out many different models of CB's and MB's over the last 10 years.

I have come to the conclusion that different iron sets have different weighting and feel, as well as turf interaction. I have found very little difference in Launch Monitor numbers when comparing so called "Players Irons". I came to the conclusion that the look and feel are the most important factors for me so I don't change irons much. I get a 4 month golf season where I live and I usually play 3-4 times a week. I have found that after 5 seasons of play my irons start to show a lot of wear and it is time for a new set.

For me it comes down to the wear and tear of the iron, as I do not see a performance change in new iron tech. when using a launch monitor, however, the 716 AP2 & Apex Pro 16 give me a jump in ball speed and distance but I think this is dues to me playing MB/CB combinations for the last 10 years

My father is a fantastic golfer (he went head to head with Tom Watson in the 1966 Missouri state HS championship and lost by a stroke, later attended U of Arizona on a golf scholarship) and he changes clubs once a decade whether he needs to or not (just kidding, if they didn't fall apart, he would keep using them)! He is currently gaming some Tour Edge exotics from the mid 2000s that have rusty shafts, rusty heads and no more than 80% of the grips clinging to life on any one club. The soles of his irons are so worn, they have changed their bounce characteristics. His woods are a collection normally found in the the used bin at a city's cheapest muni course and his putter is an off brand I have never heard of that appears to be a Odyssey 2 ball design knock off. His bag resembles some sort of hobo bindle. Now, he is a member at a very nice, private club and every time the caddy brings out his decrepit sack of clubs and makes a futile attempt at engaging the "stand" feature, I have to swallow my laughter. Now, despite all of this, at the ripe old age of 68, he without fail kicks my ass up and down the fairway.

I, for one, am looking forward to seeing this.  Sounds like something my dad would do if he were a golfer.

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

I, for one, am looking forward to seeing this.  Sounds like something my dad would do if he were a golfer.

I tried to snap a pic yesterday but it didn't quite work. I'm golfing with him on Tuesday so look for an update then!

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

I've been playing the Cleveland 588 MT irons for about 3 years now. They still perform well for me and are one of the best irons I've played. That said, is it time to look for new irons with all the new tech and distance that is advertised with the BB OS, Cobra King OS, Z545 etc. Thanks for your comments.

Go to a reputable fitter and try a different shaft. You can get a heck of a shaft upgrade for the cost of new irons.

Whenever I think the new technology will help my game!  HA! 

I know it's the Indian & not the arrow but I like to think there is something out there that will make me better.

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM6 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

Whenever I think the new technology will help my game! HA!

I know it's the Indian & not the arrow but I like to think there is something out there that will make me better.

I'm with you: totally in the Disney fairy tale mindset that the next better "magic wand" is sitting out just waiting for us to come and adopt it....... ;-)

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Archived