TESTERS WANTED! ×

When to change irons?

dcorun

Thanks everyone for your input. The members on MGS are knowledgeable and helpful. I'm going to try the F7 One Length in regular and forged and see what happens. I'm also looking at the Z565. I will get fitted if I decide they outperform my current irons enough to spend the money on new ones especially the Z565.  

Driver  - Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo 10.5 * Miyazaki Kua 5 / R Flex

FW - Sub70 Pro 4 wood 16.5 * Project X HL / R Flex

Irons - Cleveland Launcher CBX 4-PW Miyazaki Kua 6 / R Flex

Wedges - Cleveland Launcher CBX 50* & 54* Rolex Wedge Flex

Putter - Cleveland Frontline Elevado 35 "

Ball - On Core Elixer

• 1 month later...

I have been playing TM Speedblades since they came out in 2014, they a perfectly adequate set of irons but I keep seeing new sexy looking irons come out and I get "new club fever"!

I have demo tested several sets and I'm seeing some noticeable improvements in distance and dispersion, so I've decided that this is the year to upgrade......now I've got to figure out which set is for me.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I have been playing TM Speedblades since they came out in 2014, they a perfectly adequate set of irons but I keep seeing new sexy looking irons come out and I get "new club fever"!

I have demo tested several sets and I'm seeing some noticeable improvements in distance and dispersion, so I've decided that this is the year to upgrade......now I've got to figure out which set is for me.

Lot's of hawt ones to choose from for sure! The Srixon irons are sharp looking and have good reviews. Personally I like The Cally Steelheads .

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Golf Clubs are like a car to me, although not as expensive.  When something new comes out, its so enticing and you think to yourself, "I gotta have that."   But if they are working well for you why change unless you find something you know will work better for you?

:taylormade-small: SLDR 10.5 Oban HB

:taylormade-small: R11s Rip Phenom

:Hogan: Ft. Worth Black Irons

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54

:cleveland-small: CG10 58

:EVNROLL: EV 5.3 Duo

Golf Clubs are like a car to me, although not as expensive.  When something new comes out, its so enticing and you think to yourself, "I gotta have that."   But if they are working well for you why change unless you find something you know will work better for you?

The problem is the insecurity of not knowing whether or not they'll work better for you. You'll come up with every excuse from here to the moon until you finally buy them. At least - that's what I find is happening to me. Currently going back and forth with myself on the shafts in my irons.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

The problem is the insecurity of not knowing whether or not they'll work better for you. You'll come up with every excuse from here to the moon until you finally buy them. At least - that's what I find is happening to me. Currently going back and forth with myself on the shafts in my irons.

Went for an irons fitting recently - glad I did, has ended up being well worth it!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

As of last year I was using the same irons that I had competed with in High School and College (early 2000's). I still hit them well, but needed some help in forgiveness. I went from Taylormade LCG to Rocketbladez Tour irons, and love the look and feel of the Rocketbladez. 

In my Callaway Hyperlight 5 bag

Driver:    :callaway-small:  Epic GBB 

Fairway Wood:    :callaway-small:  Epic GBB

Hybrid:   :cobra-small:  King F7 2 & 3 H

Irons:   Ben Hogan Ft. Worth 15 Mid (4-PW)

Wedges:   :callaway-small:  MD3 50/56

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne

Ball: Vice Pro + or :callaway-small: Chromesoft

Irons seem like have a hell of a long life span and really there doesnt seem to be a set time period in which you need to change. Like some before me have said just take yours to compare to some newer models at your local shop and if you see something that you think warrants a new purchase get fit and pull the trigger.

Ping g400 lst 10* w/Oban kiyoshi gold 65s

Titleist 915f 16.5* w/Aldia rogue max 75s

Cobra King UT 18* w/Kbs C-taper lite 110s

Titleist 714 AP2 (4-PW) w/ Accra 95s proto

Titleist sm6 50*,54*,58* w/Dynamic gold s200

Evnroll Er2 35in w/superstroke flatso 1.0

If it is not broke, don't fix it...  I have changed irons from 20 year old technology (Hogan Apex Edge Pro- with the ever so slight cavity back) to Taylor Made Burner 2.0 because I was losing distance and direction on mis-hits (not enough time to practice ;-0).  After two seasons and getting my swing back to where it should be, I grabbed a set of Titlist AP2 714's so I could begin working the ball again- TM was difficult to hit anything but straight, and had very little feel compared to the Hogans or the Titlists-

That said, and I saw a conversation about working the ball and who does and who does not- I would say (sorry Yoda) I try, and get results most of the time- I am better with a draw than a cut, but when pressed, I manage.  Nobody is carrying my bag on the weekend but me, so I am not perfect- but then again, neither are the best players- it is all about managing your mistakes- and I would say if you make fewer mistakes with your current sticks, keep em.  If you beg, borrow steal or otherwise grab a set and like them better (offsetting the "new club" bump in performance) and you make fewer mistakes with them, then you have a winner.

my 2cents!

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

Thanks everyone for your input. The members on MGS are knowledgeable and helpful. I'm going to try the F7 One Length in regular and forged and see what happens. I'm also looking at the Z565. I will get fitted if I decide they outperform my current irons enough to spend the money on new ones especially the Z565.

Let's us know how the one-length thing works for you, it's definitely caught my attention

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

• 11 months later...

In answer to the OP question, I guess it depends on two key things; you've lost confidence in how you play your existing irons, or believe new irons will improve your game. I've been playing my PE2's for over 30 years now but every so often get the hankering for new ones.  I recently hit the G400's at a Ping demo (fitted) and they sure felt good.  It also seemed I was getting more distance and lower trajectory - but that could have been my imagination running away with me.  I then priced the G400's... and still play the PE2's. :)

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I wouldn't change irons unless there is a problem with the ones you have. My father changed irons and it took him almost two seasons to get used to them like the previous ones. I wouldn't change unless my irons were broken or lost. Especially if I liked the look and feel of them.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

i played my last set of irons for 15 years, and the only reason I upgraded was that they were non-conforming for tournaments. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Sent from my coral using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

• 3 weeks later...

First question is; what is the motivation to change? The best reasons are: no longer fit to swing, damaged/worn out,or old enough to be technically inferior. At 3 years, it's doubtful the last applies. If the current gamers are performing well, as you say, then most likely neither does the first. So if they aren't damaged or worn out I'd stick with what you've got.

In my personal experience, I goofed on that. I had a set of irons (Clevland CG2s) that I was still playing consistently well with, but I got distracted by all the shiny new stuff on the racks at the local shop and went for new anyway and didn't see any significant change (read - spent about $800 on no gain)

My most recent change was based on performance. I'd seen significant drops in accuracy and distance consistency so I knew the clubs were no longer a good fit for how I was swinging. I went with a model that offered a little more forgiveness and now after 5 or 6 rounds and some practice sessions, I'm seeing the improvements I needed.

If 'performing well' is still good enough but not quite up to expectation, maybe a tune up lesson will get you where you want to be (and cheaper). But, until you feel like you can attribute poor performance to swinging the wrong clubs for you, maybe better to stay with what you've got. 

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

• 3 weeks later...

If those irons are the best you've ever played then you should be extremely picky when considering a new set. I still play a older set of mizuno mp53s and it's gonna be a real challenge for me to consider a replacement set. Don't just jump towards something because they promise distance, accuracy and consistency trump that.

Adams Speedline 4G ultralite driver stiff shaft

Taylormade SLDR driver extra stiff shaft

Ping G20 3 wood stiff shaft

Adams redline 3&4 hybrids stiff shaft

Adams redline 5-PW stiff shaft

Titleist Vokey sm5 wedges 52, 56, 60

Boccieri golf Heavy putter

if I may chime in and throw a wrench into the topic.

Why not invest the money in lessons instead? If the clubs are working and you enjoy them,why change.

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

A lot depends on wether or not you've got an endless chain of dollar bills spilling out your back pocket...if you're on a super fine tight budget, then really dig in on trying new clubs at your local dealer.

One thing to consider is to not worry about how far they go, but rather making sure you KNOW how far they go

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

I'm not a club ho, but I don't sell or toss golf clubs.

In the early 60s, my uncle gave my the clubs that he bought upon returning from Korea in 1954.

I've still got them.

But I have pulled the trigger impulsively at times.

I bought one set of irons after a big day at the Sports Book in my Vegas hotel. 

The bastards had a pro shop in the hotel arcade and the winnings were burning a hole in my pocket. 

I didn't even make it out to the street before giving the money back.

There's no such thing as leaving Vegas with money, but I have emerged from the desert with new sticks. 

Spend a few days at Ceasars and see if it's time for new irons.

I've always wondered this. I learned on player irons and switched to taylormade m2 irons and brought my number down to 8.8. I've always considered going back to see how I hit them now.

Play as much forgiveness as you can. If all you want is high and straight, stick with the M2s. If you want to work the ball high low left or right, then go to a players cavity back. Just my $0.02.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

As a tech guy, this topic is always an impossible win. There will always be something better out there, but unless you are managing to beat the curve (about 18 months in most irons) and sell them before the become less valuable, there's no real reason upgrade clubs at anything under 250-300 rounds minimum. My bottom line is when they become more expensive to repair than it will be to replace them, then it's time to look for something new.

I played my same Wilson Staff Fluid Feel blades for 15+ years before trying something new, and then went back to them after a half season. I had those in play up until I landed a set of new FG 100's 2+ seasons ago. That's about 25 years on those original blades and they had only had the heads reconditioned/restored twice during that time. Now that it's up to $80 for a solid refurb on them, I figured I could drop the $1000 on a new set of irons and not worry too much about it. While I've been drooling over a few of the newer designs, my 100's still play so beautifully, I'd have a problem ditching everything from the 5 iron down. They just hit the ball too well for me.

I'll ride these out as far as they will go and continue to look, but I'm fully expecting another 3-5 years on these before I have to replace them. Unless something breaks, in which case, off to the fitter I go! 

In The Bag:

:wilson-small: Cortex Driver - 9° - Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Black 7 X-Flex Shaft - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 Grip
:wilson-small: Staff Model Blades - 3-PW - KBS C-Taper 130 X Flex Shafts - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 Grip
:wilson-small: PMP RAW Wedges - 50°, 54° & 58° - KBS C-Taper 130 X Flex Shafts - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 Grip
:odyssey-small: Tri-Hot #3 (2002) Putter - Super Stroke Flatso 2.0 Grip

:titelist-small: AVX Balls  +  :wilson-small: Exo Bag  +  :footjoy-small: shoes

At times, I will buy a 7i off of ebay in order to test them longer.  Going to indoor hitting bays is good, but I have to hit it on real turf.  I want to see the ball flight and carry distance.  If you're truly interested, you could drop a little over $100 for one iron to take it through it's paces.  Like I've read from the other posts, I wouldn't change just for the sake of change.  If you are truly losing faith in your current irons, I'd be looking around.  Nothing is worse in golf than doubt in your equipment.  

I have a ton of doubt in my S55's.  I truly love them and when I'm swinging well, the ball comes off the face super flush.  If my swing is off at all, they feel like I'm hitting a piece of wood.  I occasionally hit these toe chunks that piss me off.  I'm also not a fan of the blades for the 5 and 6 irons.  I need something with a little more forgiveness.  I've even been considering the P770's or "Hopefully" being picked to test these Ben Hogan Irons.  

Driver:  :ping-small:   G410 LST, 10.5 *. Even Flow 70G  X-Stiff .5 extended, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

FW Wood:  Titleist  3, 15*, DIamana 70G Stiff ; 5 extended, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small:Sim Max 19* Ventus Stiff Shaft, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

:taylormade-small: Sim Max 22* Ventus Stiff Shaft, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

Irons:  :taylormade-small: PSI 5-PW C-Taper 130 X-stiff  

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX-3, 52-56-60*                  

Putter:  :edel-golf-1:  34 Inch E-1 with Pixel insert.  

Golf Ball:     :taylormade-small: TP5

If you love your gamers and the grooves are still okay, don't change. I like to keep a backup set on hand in case my starters go cold. I find it helps to look at something different every now and then, but backups shouldn't be anything crazy expensive if you do not plan on using them much. My gamers are some Wilson FG 62s I've had for years and my backups are an old set I found at a thrift store years ago.

On the other hand, if your irons are really not doing it for you or if the grooves are worn, go through a fitting. Hit anything you can get your hands on and go for the best price/performance combo you are comfortable with.

• 1 month later...

my gold stick has been used for 3 years but my fruit hand that was made for me in exchange is slightly difficult

Hmmm.

Not really sure what to make of this....

Sent from my BLN-L24 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Archived