TESTERS WANTED! ×

How do you practice playing under pressure?

Play for cash and play for more than a couple dollars. You're a trial attorney, hear y'all make decent coin. I'd do no less than $10 a hole, $10 birdies and if you want, all the trash at $5 per

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I'm kindof the opposite from a driving range perspective. While I don't prefer playing from behind, I am a gamer running the no huddle offense.

One thing I focus on for all shots is my pre-shot routine. It helps me focus on each shot, one by one. Even on the driving range. I also spend time simulating my round on the range, the sequences of shots that I would need to hit before my round. Even the bailout or hero shots I would need to hit.

There's an old saying that it's you versus the course. I get that, but don't lose your edge towards your opponent. You can be too nice. You have to maintain an intensity and a focus towards the course and your opponents. Nice guys fold because they lose their edge. Make friends after the round whether you win or lose.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I'm kindof the opposite from a driving range perspective. While I don't prefer playing from behind, I am a gamer running the no huddle offense.

One thing I focus on for all shots is my pre-shot routine. It helps me focus on each shot, one by one. Even on the driving range. I also spend time simulating my round on the range, the sequences of shots that I would need to hit before my round. Even the bailout or hero shots I would need to hit.

There's an old saying that it's you versus the course. I get that, but don't lose your edge towards your opponent. You can be too nice. You have to maintain an intensity and a focus towards the course and your opponents. Nice guys fold because they lose their edge. Make friends after the round whether you win or lose.

There's a line from Bob Parsons that I love, "golf is like a farting contest, you just have to be ready to $hi! your pants..." there's no harm in trying...

I'd agree with a lot of the posts here

Yeah getting out and playing more will make you more comfortable

But you have to prepare for pressure as well

I coach throwers for a track and field team, so much like golf of something goes wrong in the throw there is nothing but yourself to blame.

It's you versus the tape measurer

Much like golf, where its you vs the scorecard

You have to practice pressure, but not just that. You have to practice your response to sudden change.

Give yourself one ball per club.

Plan out the shot you want to hit. If you don't hit it the first time, get over it and pick up the next club.

Now give yourself one ball with the next club. Hit the shot you want with the next club up. Force your mind to focus harder on the shot.

If it doesn't go the way you want it put both clubs away and start over with two different clubs.

Follow the same pattern

This moves you away from banging away, or waiting until you get the flight right. In competition there's no do overs for a missed shot and you have to be able to make a good swing after that miss, but you also have to be able to hit the next shot after a great swing and not let your chest puff too much.

Just some thoughts on how to teach yourself to respond.

"One of the most fascinating things about golf is how it reflects the cycle of life. No matter what you shoot - the next day you have to go back to the first tee and begin all over again and make yourself into something."

--Peter Jacobson

I see a lot of methods for replicating or creating pressure situations, but I think it's more important to have a go to method for dissolving the pressure and inner turmoil, so the stakes don't really matter.

I can't take credit for this tactic, but it works for me and translates to all sorts of situations; I tell my kids to use this technique as well at school, public speaking or performing, and it works for them too.

Basically I take a step back and consider the situation whether it's a putt, a drive, or a sensitive project at work. I view it as an opportunity to succeed, to do what I love to do, to show I am capable. And when faced with an opportunity like that, I know that I have to be grateful to be in that position because it's what we live for, right? It's why we do whatever we do! As soon as I adjust my perspective, the pressure dissolves, I am humbled, and I seem to be able to focus and perform.

It's pretty cool.

<p>In my bag: Ping G LS Tec 9* Tour 65 Stiff, Cobra F8 3-4 wood HZRDUS Yellow 6.0, Calloway 21* X Forged Utility iron (steel stiff), Ping G30 white dot 4-9 Stiff 110 gm KBS tours  Scor 48,52,56,60 Wedges, Nike Method Core MC3</p><p>

So, as some people know, I am a strength and conditioning coach. Well, we have a saying, "motivation is assumed" as in, we are not here to motivate you. Your simply showing up means you want to be better. Every athlete that sets foot in my gym has the mindset of a competitor. They treat every rep with the same focus, determination and competitive attitude as they would a play on a football field. They are not just getting stronger physically with every rep, they are getting stronger mentally. Now, if your goal is to be a better player under pressure, there is no need to play for $20 with $10 in your pocket. You make it matter. 

Pressure is what you make it.

A person is capable of putting themselves under the same pressure every shot at the driving range as the winning putt at the US Open. Not every person though. So, how great is your desire to win?

Also, the putting in a circle thing works great too!

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

I agree with Mr Dangertown if I am not misinterpreting his post. You have to be in a place mentally where the stakes don't matter. For me, I get there with humility and gratitude. Some guys go the other way with adrenaline and aggression. Either can work, but for me, and maybe with the feel required for golf, the former seems to be more applicable.

<p>In my bag: Ping G LS Tec 9* Tour 65 Stiff, Cobra F8 3-4 wood HZRDUS Yellow 6.0, Calloway 21* X Forged Utility iron (steel stiff), Ping G30 white dot 4-9 Stiff 110 gm KBS tours  Scor 48,52,56,60 Wedges, Nike Method Core MC3</p><p>

What are your misses under pressure situations? Wild drives? Bad approaches? Short game?? If I had to guess, I would say your short game suffers because you get a little tense. Even if your other shots are not so good, your short game should be able to help salvage a round. I know most people don't practice enough 50 yards and in. Personally, I like that type of practice. I suggest that you practice more around the chipping/putting greens, and create some games that have consequences.

For putting, use the clock drill starting at 2 feet and don't stop until you can make it all the way around. If you miss one, start over. Keep moving further away. If you can't make it around, then move closer.

For chipping, chip to a hole or target until you can consistently get within tap in distance; don't stop until you do. Pick another target at a different distance and repeat; then alternate shots between them. I keep at it until I make one. Pitching from different yardages is similar.

For more pressure, challenge a buddy to a competition on these shots. The more you practice the short game, the more you will not feel uncomfortable with these shots under competition. Everyone hits bad shots on the course. What separates them is the ability to scramble and recover when it matters. Good luck!!

----------------------------------------------------

You took the words right out of my mouth! 9 times out of ten it's short game inside 40-50 yards where the work needs to be done. But course management can make a huge difference. Many times we find ourselves letting our pride attempt shots that even pros simply can't make. So instead of chipping out a shot to that 40 yard range and keeping par possible and at worst, bogey probable--we ultimately sell out and the odds are not in our favor and we're in dbl/triple bogey desperation. Then we spend the next 2-3 holes pissed at ourselves for giving back 1, 2 or even 3 shots to the course because we let our pride get in the way of our confidence inside 40 yards after a little commitment to steady pre-round practice. One other note--whatever shot you choose--NEVER be indecisive. Whether it's a long approach, take-your-medicine chip out, or even a putt ... decide and COMMIT 1000%. if you're not committed to the shot, there are to many what-if's leaking into your mind, and in turn causing tension--and as we all know, tension and anxiety will turn a 2-over round into 6-over, with 7 holes to play.

1. SHORT GAME - Practice/Pre-Round wedges and short game works well for for all aspects of your game believe it or not ...

2. COURSE MANAGEMENT vs pride

3. COMMIT 1000% on the shot!

I hope that made some sense and helped!

Semper Fi fellas!

Name: Des Taggart (USMC) • City, State: Lexington, Virginia, USA • Age: 46 - Handicap: 9 - Dexterity: Right • Irons: Miura CB57 (#4-PW)[ Shafts: N.S. PRO Modus³ Tour 120 Stiff ][ Lie: +2° up / Loft: Std. / Length: +1†] • Driving Iron: Titleist 712u (#2 @ 17°)[ Shafts: KBS C-Taper Lt. 110 Stiff ][ Lie: +2° up / Loft: Std. / Length: Std. ] • Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 52/8F & 58/8M[ Shafts: TT Dynamic Gold s300 Stiff ][ Lie: +2° up / Loft: Std. / Length: +1†] • Driver: Mizuno JPX900 (9.5° - Setting: Std.)[ Shaft: Fujikura Speeder Evo III 569 Stiff ] • Woods: Titleist 915-3w (15° - Setting: Std.)[ Shaft: Fujikura Speeder 757 Stiff ] • Hybrids: Mizuno JPX900 (16° & 19°)[ Shaft: Fujikura PRO Blue 73 Stiff ] • Putter: Miura KM-008 (34" - 4° - 370g) • Putter: Scotty Cameron FB 1.5 (34†- 2° - 350g) • Grips: Golf Pride SuperTack Mid (logo down)

----------------------------------------------------

You took the words right out of my mouth! 9 times out of ten it's short game inside 40-50 yards where the work needs to be done. But course management can make a huge difference. Many times we find ourselves letting our pride attempt shots that even pros simply can't make. So instead of chipping out a shot to that 40 yard range and keeping par possible and at worst, bogey probable--we ultimately sell out and the odds are not in our favor and we're in dbl/triple bogey desperation. Then we spend the next 2-3 holes pissed at ourselves for giving back 1, 2 or even 3 shots to the course because we let our pride get in the way of our confidence inside 40 yards after a little commitment to steady pre-round practice. One other note--whatever shot you choose--NEVER be indecisive. Whether it's a long approach, take-your-medicine chip out, or even a putt ... decide and COMMIT 1000%. if you're not committed to the shot, there are to many what-if's leaking into your mind, and in turn causing tension--and as we all know, tension and anxiety will turn a 2-over round into 6-over, with 7 holes to play.

1. SHORT GAME - Practice/Pre-Round wedges and short game works well for for all aspects of your game believe it or not ...

2. COURSE MANAGEMENT vs pride

3. COMMIT 1000% on the shot!

I hope that made some sense and helped!

Semper Fi fellas!

Yeah, makes sense and great wrap-up of the proper way to go about things .. thanks for posting!

And, Semper Fi (youngest step-son working his way through PI boot camp, he WILL make it!, so I can say that back to you ).

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Archived