Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

The 54* Wedge

I just bought a Cleveland 588 54* wedge (got a great deal, $19) and I am eagerly awaiting its arrival sometime tomorrow or Wednesday. It has always been my understanding that a PW is 47-48*, a Gap wedge: 50-52*, SW is 56-58*, and a LW is 60-64*. So what does that make a 54*?

If you happen to own a 54 degree of some sort, tell us where and how you tend to use it...also how often do you use it in comparison to your other wedges? I'm excited to see how it fits into my game, if I had to guess its going to be my 90-95 yard club.

SARGE BLOG: Helping people win the internet since the day I started helping people win the internet.

Thats interesting. In almost every case I'd rather use a 58+ degree to get out of a bunker, making it easier to cut through the sand. I know its all a matter of names, and a rose is a rose etc... but it just strikes me as odd.

What is your average distance (hitting it from the fairway)?

SARGE BLOG: Helping people win the internet since the day I started helping people win the internet.

I hit my 54* 120 and my 58* 110. When chipping, I use my 54* when I need a little extra roll and my 58* for everything else. My 58* is the most used club in my bag.

How far do you hit a PW? I'm just asking for reference. Thanks.

True story. My father-in-law and I were playing The Palm course at Disney and I had my putter, but needed my SW from the fringe.

Me: Will you grab my sand wedge?

Him: You don't have one.

Me: I better have one.

Him: When did you get one?

Me: I've always had one.

Him: Where the hell was I when you got a SANDWICH?

Me: My sand wedge, not a sandwich.

So now I always call my SW "sandwich".

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought a Cleveland 588 54* wedge (got a great deal, $19) and I am eagerly awaiting its arrival sometime tomorrow or Wednesday. It has always been my understanding that a PW is 47-48*, a Gap wedge: 50-52*, SW is 56-58*, and a LW is 60-64*. So what does that make a 54*?

If you happen to own a 54 degree of some sort, tell us where and how you tend to use it...also how often do you use it in comparison to your other wedges? I'm excited to see how it fits into my game, if I had to guess its going to be my 90-95 yard club.

some call it a utility wedge (U Wedge)

In My Bag

Driver- PING G15 (10.5*)

Shaft- Miyazaki C. Kua 39

Fairway- PING G15 (15.5*)

Shaft- Matrix Studio 64

Fairway- PING G15 (18.5*)

Shaft- Oban Revenge 6

Hybrid- PING I15 (20*)

Shaft- UST Mamiya Attas 285

Irons- PING I15 (5-PW)

Shafts- AeroTech SteelFiber i80

Wedges- PING Tour-S (54*, 60*)

Shafts- True Temper DG Spinner

Putter- PING Scottsdale Pickemup

I got the club in today. Freakin sweet wedge...I recommend it to anyone. Plus you can't go wrong at $19 a pop.

Where did you get it? Do they have other wedges... I go from 47(P) to 54, with nothing in between... I need a 52...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

To me, they go like this:

46-49 PW

50-53 GW

54-57 SW

58-61 LW

62+ XW

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Thats interesting. In almost every case I'd rather use a 58+ degree to get out of a bunker, making it easier to cut through the sand. I know its all a matter of names, and a rose is a rose etc... but it just strikes me as odd.

What is your average distance (hitting it from the fairway)?

It may be that your 58* is a good fit for the type of sand you play. If it's hard sand, a thinner sole with less bounce is preferable. If it's loose and fluffy sand, a thicker sole with more bounce is preferable. It could also be that you feel more comfortable with making a bigger swing with the 58*. I can't really tell you, but as they say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Sergio Garcia (no wise cracks) only uses a 52* and a 58*, with the 58 his "SW". Seve Ballesteros could get out of the bunker with a 3 iron! Me? I'm currently looking into this new club called "the Shovel"...

• 2 weeks later...

If you had a lob wedge exaggerated like this sand wedge, you could refer to it as a LAP wedge. Sorry, I got carried away.

Ol' Stick

Archived