Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Fairway wood shaft

Im starting to dabble in club building a little and i have a question. I put a Graffaloy Prolaunch blue in my driver which turned out great. At 46", i only had to cut 1" off the butt end to get the length i wanted. Is there a shaft made specifically for fairway woods or do i cut 3-4" off the butt end. Seems like a lot to cut off. Im using the Prolaunch blue on fairway woods also. Any help woud be appreciated. Thanks

I'm about to start dabbling in club making as well. I wish you luck.

When it comes to shafts sizes, I believe most come in woods, hybrid and iron sizes. But, during my searches I think I may have seen some in fairway sizes.

I think I'm going to double check and get back to you.

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Typically for a fairway wood shaft you will need to tip trim before installing based on what wood you are putting it in.  It will be a specific amount to retain the flex of the shaft, then you would install and butt trim to your desired playing length.

You should check with the manufacturer for specific tip trimming instructions.  For the ProLaunch Blue you can go to their site and they have a link.  It's at the bottom of this page.

http://grafalloy.com/products/prolaunch-blue/

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Fairway wood shafts usually range between 70-80 grams instead of 60-65 grams for drivers. Most shafts will that come at 46" raw suggest that you cut 1" from the tip for a 3 wood, and 1.5-2" for a 5 wood. Best to reference the spec sheet for the companies website for a specific shaft. Fairway shafts will commonly have different torque ratings also.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Thank you very much. Looks like i will have to just trim a few inches off the butt. I did find some 40" hybrid shafts that might work. I'll have to do some thinking.

You need to know the tip size of your fairway wood.  Generally they are .335 or .350 but I have occasionally seen a .370 hosel in a fairway.  You will need to buy the proper size shaft for your hosel.  Otherwise you have to shim it (if the shaft is too small) or bore out the hosel if the shaft is too large.  Much easier to just buy the proper size.

Generally speaking hybrids are going to be .370 tip size.

What fairway are you going to reshaft?  If you post the make and model of the head and the shaft you are looking for we can help to make sure you get the right stuff.

Well you won't believe what im going to reshaft lol. Dunlop No Problem fairway 3 and 5 wood. Absolutely love the heads. Just fit my eye for some reason. You may have never heard of them.

I take it back, not sure anybody is going to be able to tell you what size hosel that has :)

If you have a set of calipers you could measure it, or just take it in to a golf shop and have them measure it for you.

Best of luck with your reshaft and let us know if you have any more questions.

Those woods are at least 15 years old.  Back then, most all wood hosels were .335 diameter.  The .350 hosels were much later.  Compare the shaft diameters of the fairway wood near the hosel; it should be the same as the driver.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Archived