TESTERS WANTED! ×

What would you like to see MyGolfSpy test?

hckymeyer

Only Taylormade knows if the SLDR-C Driver is non-conforming, however it does have a very 'hot face'... :rolleyes:

It's not on the USGA conforming driver list.  I suppose you could send in yours for testing to get it on the list.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

It's not on the USGA conforming driver list.  I suppose you could send in yours for testing to get it on the list.

Actually, I would rather NOT know because I plan to keep playing it!.. :wub:

What's in Bobcat's Bag?  (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)

Driver: :taylormade-small: 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s, (1/2" tip)

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Tour issue 15* V-Steel 3W - Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff

Fairway/Hybrid: :taylormade-small: 15* Rescue Fairway "3-Strong" - VP-90 Stiff 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: #3 (19*) & #4 (22*) Rescue-Mid TP's - Vista Pro 90 Stiff 

Driving Irons: :taylormade-small: UDI #1 (16*) & #3 (20*) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff

Iron Set: :taylormade-small: SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff

Hybrid Wedges: :cleveland-small: 2011 Niblicks 42*PW, 49*DW, 56*SW - Stock

SW/LW: :cleveland-small: CG-16 Black Pearl 58* Low Bounce 8* - Stock Steel Shaft

Putter: :bettinardi-small: BBX-81 Blade - Stock Bettinardi Steel Shaft 

Would love to see any equipment that is 5–10 years old vs. current OEM lineups, especially drivers and irons, but the putter suggestions already mentioned are appealing too.

WITB:
Driver: Cobra King LTD
Fairway: Ping G25 (3)
Hybrid: Ping i25 (22 degree)
Crossover: Ping G 5
Irons: Ping i25 (5 -PW)
Wedges: Bridgestone J15 forged 50 and 55 degree
Putter: Cleveland TFi Elevado w/ Winn Pro grip.

I want to see what an older shaft say an aldila NV or Protobyyou would do in a new head and if these shafts out perform any that are currently on the market.  There are a lot of good shafts that would be fun to test, original graffaloy pro launch blue comes to mind as well.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

• SPY VIP

Wait, what? This driver is non-conforming? That would mean that Tmag was just hammering them out for retail, most likely with little to no care over quality and performance.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

Wait, what? This driver is non-conforming? That would mean that Tmag was just hammering them out for retail, most likely with little to no care over quality and performance.

Bad assumption!  Fact is, the SLDR-C has NOT been declared non-conforming by the USGA, although I suspect that only Taylormade has actually done any CT testing of the 2015 SLDR-C Driver.

Performance is great, and build quality is the same as the original SLDR line. The only obvious difference is the new gloss black color on the SLDR-C. Less obvious, is the different shape of the SLDR-C clubhead...(lower profile, and wider clubface from heel-to-toe than the original SLDR Drivers from 2013-2014).

Having said that, TM was known to be considering a non-conforming Driver for recreational only play just a few years ago, but there is no reason to believe the company has ever intentionally announced any non-conforming driver models, aside from the very early R500 Series which proved to be a costly mistake for the company, (even though many recreational players were actually delighted to learn they owned an illegal, 'too hot for the USGA' TM driver). 

The very early R510, R540, and R580 failed the COR test, because those were above the .083 COR limit established by the USGA, which at the time was in conflict with the higher .086 COR limit of the R&A who considered those early models to be completely legal.  TM had expected the USGA to approve the .086 COR standard to be consistent with the R&A,, and therefore jumped the gun a bit before the USGA had ruled.  Unfortunately, the USGA decided to keep the .083 COR standard, so  TM was forced to replace those early R500 series non-conforming models with proper USGA conforming models, but only in the USA where we are governed by those USGA rules.

Note:  In case you are curious, the R500 series non-conforming models have no scoring lines in the center of the clubface, while the R500 series conforming models do have scoring lines there.

Of couse things have changed since then, and COR (Coefficient of Restitution), is no longer the relevant test for USGA clubface compliance.  It has been replaced by the CT, (Characteristic Time) Test.  CT is the current USGA method for testing the 'trampoline effect' of a driver's clubface.

As always...the more you know...  :)

Driver: :taylormade-small: 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s, (1/2" tip)

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Tour issue 15* V-Steel 3W - Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: #3 (19*) & #4 (22*) Rescue-Mid TP's - Vista Pro 90 Stiff 

Driving Irons: :taylormade-small: UDI #1 (16*) & #3 (20*) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff

Iron Set: :taylormade-small: SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff

SW/LW: :cleveland-small: CG-16 Black Pearl 58* Low Bounce 8* - Stock Steel Shaft

Bobcat is right in that it has not been declared non-conforming, but it isn't approved either.  My guess is that TM did not want to spend the money or effort to get it approved because of the way it was being marketed.  Maybe TM know it's conforming, maybe they don't.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Maybe TM know it's conforming, maybe they don't.  

100% Correct!... Maybe TM knows, maybe not, (I suspect they do), but I would just as soon NOT know because I want to keep playing it!.. :P

So all of you playing this driver cannot post scores for handicap purposes.........from the usga site, "Do not post scores when a player uses non-conforming clubs, balls or tees"................

Not that it really matters, but I know guys at my club that would have a hayday with this.

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

So all of you playing this driver cannot post scores for handicap purposes.........from the usga site, "Do not post scores when a player uses non-conforming clubs, balls or tees"................

Not that it really matters, but I know guys at my club that would have a hayday with this.

Untested does not mean non-conforming... :rolleyes:  

I will agree, but I'm saying some could make the argument for it as non-conforming.  I think this all falls into an area the USGA and equipment manufactures could take advantage of if they would come out with recreational rules for golf. 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Untested does not mean non-conforming... :rolleyes:  

I don't want to turn this into a SLDR-C debate thread, we already have several of those.

I'll also say that I'm a firm believer in play what makes you happy.  If you choose to play a non-conforming club and it makes you happy then go for it!

That said, regardless of whether the club would pass the conforming test, the fact that it hasn't been tested and isn't on the list deems it a non-conforming club.  Therefore you are not allowed to use it in USGA events and any rounds played with it would not count towards an official handicap.

Again, your welcome to play it and I know you are quite happy with it.  Just be aware if it ever does get called in to question during an event you'll have to deal with the penalty.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Just checked the USGA's list -- they have SLDR, SLDR TP, SLDR 430, SLDR S and SLDR Mini, no SLDR C.  You guys are right, TM probably just didn't bothered to get it approved. Does that mean it can't be used for handicap purposes? Not sure, but I'm pretty certain it can't be used in competitions that follow the rules. 

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

From the USGA website...

Q. When is a score unacceptable? 

A. All of the following are unacceptable scores: 

A score is unacceptable when:

• Fewer than 7 holes are played
  • Made on a golf course in an area in which an inactive season established by the Governing golf association is in effect
  • A majority of the holes of the course are not played in accordance with the principles of the Rules of Golf
  • The length of the course is less than 3,000 yards for 18-holes
  • Types or maximum number of clubs are less than 14, for example, in a competition that allows only iron clubs
  • Scores are made on a course with no USGA Course and Slope Rating
  • A player carries or uses non-conforming clubs or uses non-conforming balls
  • Artificial devices (as defined under Rule 14-3) are used during the execution of a stroke.

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Some people that want to compare low vs high cost putters but I think looking at how putter design impacts the putting stroke. Heavy vs light, heel vs center shafted, full offset vs no offset, face balanced vs toe hang.

Basically test the generally accepted statements of SBST = face balanced arced = toe hang. Heavier is more stable. Putter perpendicular to the target line is important at setup.

Ultimately how should you pick the best putter for you game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• SPY VIP

Some people that want to compare low vs high cost putters but I think looking at how putter design impacts the putting stroke. Heavy vs light, heel vs center shafted, full offset vs no offset, face balanced vs toe hang.

Basically test the generally accepted statements of SBST = face balanced arced = toe hang. Heavier is more stable. Putter perpendicular to the target line is important at setup.

Ultimately how should you pick the best putter for you game

The point of the cheap vs boutique is that a lot of this high cost putters are not fitted and consumers buy pretty much based on looks. So lets see how one of those putters racks up against an el cheapo.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

The point of the cheap vs boutique is that a lot of this high cost putters are not fitted and consumers buy pretty much based on looks. So lets see how one of those putters racks up against an el cheapo.

Agree with you on the buying habits. I think the results would show that they would be equivalent. That is why I suggested the next step which is more performance based.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

How about Hank Haney test the Kirkland golf ball vs any ball of his choice? He can be the tester...

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

Not for this test but in the spring I was planning on doing a test between my current driver and the driver that I played in college. Really curious now the ball speeds and spin rates differ between the two.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

From the USGA website...

Q. When is a score unacceptable?

A. All of the following are unacceptable scores:

A score is unacceptable when:

• Fewer than 7 holes are played
  • Made on a golf course in an area in which an inactive season established by the Governing golf association is in effect
  • A majority of the holes of the course are not played in accordance with the principles of the Rules of Golf
  • The length of the course is less than 3,000 yards for 18-holes
  • Types or maximum number of clubs are less than 14, for example, in a competition that allows only iron clubs
  • Scores are made on a course with no USGA Course and Slope Rating
  • A player carries or uses non-conforming clubs or uses non-conforming balls
  • Artificial devices (as defined under Rule 14-3) are used during the execution of a stroke.

Just checked the conforming list and my balls aren't on there so does that mean my index is invalid? I can have my wife send an email to the USGA if that will help.

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

Just checked the conforming list and my balls aren't on there so does that mean my index is invalid? I can have my wife send an email to the USGA if that will help.

I'd be curious what they say.  I honestly don't know how that works.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I'd be curious what they say. I honestly don't know how that works.

Not sure those boys have a sense of humor and would ban me from ever playing a competitive round of golf for the rest of my life.

Apparently neither does my wife.

Me: My handicap may not be valid. Apparently I have been playing golf for years with non-conforming balls. May need you to check them when I get home tonight.

Wife: How would Titleist balls not be conforming???

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

Not sure those boys have a sense of humor and would ban me from ever playing a competitive round of golf for the rest of my life.

Apparently neither does my wife.

Me: My handicap may not be valid. Apparently I have been playing golf for years with non-conforming balls. May need you to check them when I get home tonight.

Wife: How would Titleist balls not be conforming???

In my book that counts as foreplay...

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Regardless of whether the club would pass the conforming test, the fact that it hasn't been tested and isn't on the list deems it a non-conforming club.  

Once again, it has NOT been deemed non-conforming by any of Golf's legislative bodies. and obviously you lack the authority to deem it non-conforming.  Of course, you can 'assume' whatever you like for your own purposes, (if that makes you happy), but that's really taking a 'glass half-empty' view of the matter... :)  

Fact is, the SLDR-C Driver remains UNTESTED, (by the USGA or the R&A). My own 'glass half-full' philosophy is to believe that it does conform to the USGA rules until/unless proven otherwise.. :P   

When you really think about it, is there any rational reason to believe TM made an exception for this driver, when every other Taylormade Driver you can currently buy is conforming?...(i.e. CT tested!).. :rolleyes:

As previously mentioned, I am perfectly fine not knowing the CT test results, because I already know everything I need to know...(i.e. it is a 'hot faced' driver that performs well for me!).. :wub:

Full Disclosure: I am not using the stock SLDR-C Driver shaft, having been previously fitted for my Driver shaft  The shaft I use, (shown below), is a fairly demanding shaft, and certainly not for everyone, but just perfect for me!

kusala.jpg

Premium shaft ONLY MBP,

How about "spined/pured " shafts versus "randomly" installed shafts

Or the Wilson Triton set up in "illegal" mode

I have been messing with my buddy Bo Bear's Triton and if the weight is the case I think I can make any driver perform with some lead tape in the right places. Wonder how illegial I have made some drivers in the past?

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I'd like to see older vs newer drivers.....see how much the recent tech has actually improved things......maybe an original big bertha vs the BB fusion

Stu's Antique Golf Museum can supply the antique BBs too!! I have a couple

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Just saying, I'd say the reason Taylor made didn't submit it is because it was meant to be a low quality, mass produced big box store club.

That being said, I'd love to see a test done on the difference between off the rack and fitting clubs. Just to see the performance gains that people find when they have the right equipment.

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

Once again, it has NOT been deemed non-conforming by any of Golf's legislative bodies. and obviously you lack the authority to deem it non-conforming.  Of course, you can 'assume' whatever you like for your own purposes, (if that makes you happy), but that's really taking a 'glass half-empty' view of the matter... :)  

Fact is, the SLDR-C Driver remains UNTESTED, (by the USGA or the R&A). My own 'glass half-full' philosophy is to believe that it does conform to the USGA rules until/unless proven otherwise.. :P   

When you really think about it, is there any rational reason to believe TM made an exception for this driver, when every other Taylormade Driver you can currently buy is conforming?...(i.e. CT tested!).. :rolleyes:

As previously mentioned, I am pefectly fine not knowing the CT test results, because I already know everything I need to know...(i.e. it is a 'hot faced' driver that performs well for me!).. :wub:

Full Disclaimer: I am not using the stock SLDR-C Driver shaft, having been previously fitted for this Driver shaft  The shaft I use, (shown below), is a fairly demanding shaft, and certainly not for everyone!

attachicon.gifkusala.jpg

The way the rule reads is if it is not on the Conforming list it is deemed non conforming until tested and approved. IE; My 1980 Macgregor VIP irons are not on the current list but they were legal on the date of manufacture to the then standards in 1980 so as of now they have never been submitted on the new list so they are deemed Non-Conforming. My 588s made around 2000 or so are pre 2012 and they are on the non-conforming list big as heck! Really I do not care I do not play comp or stipulated events anyhow and personally I could give a rats arse whether any one else's clubs are non conforming or not. We ran into the same problem with some of the Infiniti irons when I played comp with them because Infiniti never submitted them. I did get a certificate of conformity on the TS-10s from the USGA after they tested them because I played 5 mini events with them. Never had any questions asked when I played their Assure brand in 2 events. 

G

Just saying, I'd say the reason Taylor made didn't submit it is because it was meant to be a low quality, mass produced big box store club.

The quality of the SLDR-C is certainly no different than the rest of the SLDR Family, (all TM metal woods are made in China). However, it is interesting you should bring quality up since the only TM metal woods known to have any quality issues at present are the most expensive M-Family line of metal woods.  (The ridge forming and paint cracking issues have created some real warranty headaches for TM at a time when the company is still struggling to find new ownership).. :o  

As for your "big box"and "mass produced" comments, the SLDR-C has been, and is being sold by the very same Golf Retailers as other current TM Metal woods including the aforementioned M-Family line, and, of course, ALL TM Drivers are 'mass produced', so just what the heck were you thinking with that statement?  Perhaps you only shop in Golf Course Pro Shops where very few lines of clubs are even offered for sale. Fact is that most of us do shop at major Golf Retailers these days, and with the online Retailers as well!  There is certainly nothing wrong with that!  Your shopping habits are atypical!. ;)

You can try and discredit this club all you want Shawn, but your comments only make me wonder if you have ever even seen one up close, much less actually played a round of golf with one!  Be advised that TM has long been known for excellent metal woods and the SLDR-C line is certainly no exception!.. :P  

I'll say it again...There is no direct relationship between a driver's price its performance for a particular individual, and most people are able to figure that out pretty quickly!.. :rolleyes: