TESTERS WANTED! ×

grinding a wedge

Is there any chance that we could get some "in progress" pictures and some descriptions of the equipment that you used to do this? Thanks-

-Matt

Ok ,i waiting for a shipment from U.S.A. with some wedges heads...

When a grind them , I will make some pictures "in progress"...

Thanks fore interest

Greetings

I would ove to do this if i had the equipment customization i s awesome, is there anything to not do to them to make them non conforming in any way ?

Andrew Bush

Andrew Bush da lefty of the forum.

Cleveland DST Tour 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard.

Nike Sasquatch 4 wood with diamana blue.

Nike Sasquatch 3 hybrid with diamana hybrid shaft

Callaway x forged 4-pw with prject x flighted 6.0

Callaway x forged 52 and 56 chrome

Callaway x forged 60 vintage

Odyssey white hot tour number 5.

Nike one platinum soon to be nike tour running out of the platinums!!!!!!!

You can change the sole and the bounce... Weight fore club-head ideal (304.5 gram fore 60° wedge)

Bye a lot of different heads this days... European Japanese and USA suppliers...IOUs a very old electric grinder... Try to find the backspin back now with the new grooves...

Find already something ... Close but still not good enough... Already a lot of backspin back but not from the high rough...

Fore the record ...I don't have a shop ... I 'm a pure hobbyist ...

I travel al over europe to take classes on club building...(PGA school)

Fore me golf and club building is a obsession ...

Obsession give focus on live... :)

Yeah, don't know what's going on with the sole of the club in that first picture. Weirdest thing I've ever seen. But, as others have said, the end result looks real good.

I'm assuming grinding a wedge isn't clubmakers 101 stuff, right? I'm sure this is something that you wait until you develop some skills in the workshop. If I can make an analogy, you don't start BBQ'ing smoking a Brisket. Its something you work your way up to. Same deal here?

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Yeah, don't know what's going on with the sole of the club in that first picture. Weirdest thing I've ever seen. But, as others have said, the end result looks real good.

I'm assuming grinding a wedge isn't clubmakers 101 stuff, right? I'm sure this is something that you wait until you develop some skills in the workshop. If I can make an analogy, you don't start BBQ'ing smoking a Brisket. Its something you work your way up to. Same deal here?

I imagine that it's possible that grinding a wedge could be the only skill you have, if it's the only thing you're interested in, but generally the answer is: No. For example, I pull and install shafts, do grips, I've messed with stamping, but I have not graduated to grinding. It requires some equipment that I don't have and a good bit of trial and error, I assume. For me, it's best left to the professionals.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I imagine that it's possible that grinding a wedge could be the only skill you have, if it's the only thing you're interested in, but generally the answer is: No. For example, I pull and install shafts, do grips, I've messed with stamping, but I have not graduated to grinding. It requires some equipment that I don't have and a good bit of trial and error, I assume. For me, it's best left to the professionals.

It probably requires some specialized pricey tools too, no?

• SPY VIP

Depends on where you are. You can get good grinders and wheels here at Harbor Freight for cheap. Buffing wheels and stuff too.

They don't sell skill though, so my grinder collects dust in the garage.

It anyone needs one...

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Depends on where you are. You can get good grinders and wheels here at Harbor Freight for cheap. Buffing wheels and stuff too.

It anyone needs one...

If they sold skill, Bill Gates would be a very good golfer....

Grinding is something I've always wanted to try, but have never done.

If they sold skill, Bill Gates would be a very good golfer....

Grinding is something I've always wanted to try, but have never done.

True dat....it's a brave man that takes a grinder to his golf clubs -- well, one of us everyday golfers that have to buy our own stuff.

True dat....it's a brave man that takes a grinder to his golf clubs -- well, one of us everyday golfers that have to buy our own stuff.

I imagine it would be a little nerve-racking to take a grinder to your golf club.

I imagine it would be a little nerve-racking to take a grinder to your golf club.

You could probably get set up pretty nicely for under $200.

Just like stamping, you don't start out on your own clubs. If you're going to start grinding, raid the used wedge bin at a golf store and make a mess of those.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been grinding my wedges for several years. I use the Jet Bench grinder with a coarse grit belt to do the most metal removal and then go over it with a medium grit scotch brite belt to soften the rougher edges and then finish with a scotch brite fine belt to smooth the area over.

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

I have been grinding my wedges for several years. I use the Jet Bench grinder with a coarse grit belt to do the most metal removal and then go over it with a medium grit scotch brite belt to soften the rougher edges and then finish with a scotch brite fine belt to smooth the area over.

Judging by the picture in your bag, it looks like you do very nice work. What do you try to accomplish with the grinds on your wedges?

Judging by the picture in your bag, it looks like you do very nice work. What do you try to accomplish with the grinds on your wedges?

I almost never hit more than a half shot with my 60 degree wedge, yet hit almost all of my greenside chips with it. I take a lot of the bounce off of the club and give it heel and toe relief to allow me to set the front edge of the club right against the ground behind the ball so that I can make sure to hit straight down on the back of the ball. The heel/toe relief allow for opening or closing the face if I want to hit a flop shot off of a tighter lie, or hit a low runner when needed.

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

It anyone needs one...

Good point. I'm not the handiest person you'll find. I'd probably grind a knuckle off trying to do this...

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

You could probably get set up pretty nicely for under $200.

Just like stamping, you don't start out on your own clubs. If you're going to start grinding, raid the used wedge bin at a golf store and make a mess of those.

Very good suggestion. Otherwise, the learning curve could get expensive real quick.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Very good suggestion. Otherwise, the learning curve could get expensive real quick.

Or you just have to play ugly clubs. The first set of wedges I stamped were the ones that I gave my brother...not pretty. Mine aren't perfect, but they're much better.

Or you just have to play ugly clubs. The first set of wedges I stamped were the ones that I gave my brother...not pretty. Mine aren't perfect, but they're much better.

Your brother is still getting hand me downs? It just never ends when you are the youngest - does it?

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT