Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Best public courses in Maui

bkerr74

I'm heading to Maui at the start of January. Can't play Kapalua because the Tournament of Champions. We are staying at Kaanapali Beach Hotel. Looking to play a good course with nice views. Looking at either Royal Kaanapali or Wailea Gold or Emerald courses. Thoughts or suggestions from anyone who has played these courses or any other gems in Maui?

They are all good. If you are staying at Kaanapali, it's a long slow drive to to Wailea.  Bummer that you won't get to play the Plantation Course; tough but gorgeous!!  Don't forget the Bay Course at Kapalua.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 2 weeks later...

Listen to Hula..........

Emerald Golf Course.

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Royal Kaanapali is a solid course. A RTJ design with awesome views and good variety.

WIT  :titelist-small: Sta Dry Bag:

Driver:       :taylormade-small: '17 M2

Woods:     :taylormade-small: M2 3W and 5W

Hybrids:   :callaway-logo-1: Apex 3h and 5h  

Irons:          :mizuno-small:   MP 18 MMC

Wedges:   :callaway-logo-1: MD PM Grind, 56* and 60*

Putter:      :scotty-cameron-1: California Sonoma

I'm heading to Maui at the start of January. Can't play Kapalua because the Tournament of Champions. We are staying at Kaanapali Beach Hotel. Looking to play a good course with nice views. Looking at either Royal Kaanapali or Wailea Gold or Emerald courses. Thoughts or suggestions from anyone who has played these courses or any other gems in Maui?

Hope you are having a great time!  I would love to be there right now.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 5 weeks later...

I played Kapalua while I was there. It was fun playing 'where the pros play' but honestly the course is pretty bare. The views are scenic but it lacks the 'Hawaii' feel IMO. If you can make your way to Kauai, make sure you play Poipu!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• 1 year later...

Played the Emerald course with my wife and t was fantastic. Beautiful course and was wide open when I played.

IMG_1984.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver:  :callaway-small: Great Big Bertha

Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 2

Wedges: PXG, Callaway Mack Daddy 3

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpgER3

• 8 months later...

I loved Ka'anapali Golf Course (Royal Course).

Played there with my wife while on vacation in Maui. We stayed across the road and could see the course from the front door of our room.

To add to this, Matt Ginella recently visited Ka'anapali in a recent episode of Ginella's Journeys.

If you are into Golf Boards they have them there too.

It's featured hole puts you right on the beach. So amazing.

kaanapali-golf-course-fifth-hole.jpg

But my favorite hole was probably the par 4 10th hole. Such a beauty back towards the ocean, it demands a great tee shot through the tree-lined fairway.

kaanapali-golf-course-10th-hole.jpg

I played Kaanapali Kai course and really enjoyed it. Obviously not as nice as the Royal but enjoyed the views some of the ocean and some of mountains. If you do play Kaanapali you have to get food after in Roy's, I enjoyed a great breakfast and a pint after my morning round.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Archived