TESTERS WANTED! ×

How to choose the best golf rangefinder?

Hey guys!

I've occasionally had the opportunity of playing golf and always had amazing, memorable experiences.

Decided to pick it up as a serious hobby now but I don't really know much about it.

I decided I am going to get myself a golf rangefinder but not sure witch one to pick.

Saw some great options compared on this site and am leaning towards the Bushnell Tour V3:

I've set myself a budget of $250 for the golf rangefinder – what do you guys recommend?

Thanks ahead for all the help!

James Nelson

The v3 is a good option - I love mine! The newer ones have a few extra bells and whistles, but the v3 is a little less expensive now, and does everything you need.

I would recommend keeping a spare battery in your bag - when it's dead, it's dead - no warning.

Other than that, it's a perfect choice!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

The v3 is a good option - I love mine! The newer ones have a few extra bells and whistles, but the v3 is a little less expensive now, and does everything you need.

I would recommend keeping a spare battery in your bag - when it's dead, it's dead - no warning.

Other than that, it's a perfect choice!

I would agree. It's also very durable.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

If you just want a basic LRF check out the MG Golf M400. $135. There's a number of us around here that use it. My first one went funky after about a year but MG Golf replaced it with no questions asked. (I returned it to them for inspection)

If you sign up for MG's emails you sometimes find the M400 for a little less. Perhaps $125.

Their all leather gloves and the C4 balls are great also.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I agree with alien8mycow.

I have the Bushnell Tour V3 and love it for its weight and durability. Do carry a spare battery with you. They are not your standard AA or 9V but rather the CR2. You can buy a 6 pack on Amazon dirt cheap and keep the spares in a refrigerator.

You may also want to follow the new thread here regarding the testing of range finders by the forum members.

ole gray is one of the testers and I am sure once he has his hands on it you will start seeing the feedback from him and the others.

I am not sure how soon you need it but it may be worthwhile to get their feedback on the newer model they are testing.

WITB - :taylormade-small:

Driver - TaylorMade M2 - Stiff flex / 12.5*

3 & 7 Wood - TaylorMade M2

6i -Gap - TaylorMade M4- Stiff flex

Wedges - TaylorMade ATV 55* & 60*

Putter - Odyssey 2 Ball

Ball - Titleist Pro V1

Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

Right Handed Neutral lie on all clubs

First of all..... welcome from sunny Italy and I wish you a happy New Year.

I own recently a Nikon Aculon AL11.  It 's the first range finder that I owns and I must say that it is very, very good. Small (It is in the palm of your hand), lightweight (gr. 125 without battery), waterproof (IPX4), very bright lens, real 6x magnification 6-550 yards, measuring also "continuous", very stable, MODE button to select the yard / meter units.The range finder does not calculate the slope.  Included nylon pouch with velcro that can be attached either on the belt or worn around the neck, or other, with the included lanyard. Bought on Amazon.it.  Quality / price ratio, in my opinion, excellent: € 138 (CR2 3V battery included). This is a summary of my topic (where you'll find photos of Nikon Aculon):

shotsaver SLR500

I hope I was helpful.

See you soon. 

twitter: @cgblack54

In my bag Callaway Org 14:

Driver: 10.5° Callaway XR-16 shaft Miyazaky limited edition c. Kua 39 /stiff
3 Wood: 20° Callaway GBB Heavenwood shaft Fujikura Motore Speeder 665 R flex
Hybrid 4: 22°Callaway GBB UST Mamiya recoil F3
Irons: Callaway Big Bertha 2015 5-PW shaft graphite UST Mamiya recoil F3 (2° flat) 
Wedges: MD3 S gring 49° bounce 10° (2° flat), MD3 S grind 54° bounce10°(1° flat) and MD3 58°bounce 8° shaft steel True Temper XP95 R300
Putter: Odyssey works #1 wide putter whith Odyssey Super Stroke slim 3.0
Ball
Titlest pro V1, Callaway supersoft ,Noodle long &soft.

GPS: Garmin S1

Range Finder: Nikon Aculon AL11 -  6X 

First of all... Welcome from the Pacific Northwest!  Glad you joined us James. 

I also have the V3; well my wife does.  I use a GPS, she uses the V3, but I like the laser for certain shots.  The GPS works fine for most shots because I know the course.  I have found that the battery lasts about 6 months, but that could be only because it is not used on every hole. 

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 1 year later...

Hi. I recently picked up a Precision Pro Golf NX7 rangefinder for $250 and it works fine for me. Pretty simple, 6x magnification, more accurate than I am :D. The adaptive slope technology can be turned on and off though. There are other similar brands in the same price range. 

Edited by mrjohnsmitt

I went with an inexpensive rangefinder from Amazon that is similar to the one that MG Golf sells.  It was just over $100 with prime shipping.  This model does not calculate slope and I kind of with I purchased one that did.  Overall it has worked very well for me.  I have never used a more expensive model so I guess I don't know what I am missing.  It is easy to find the flag and get an accurate reading.  There is a setting where you shoot something behind the green then go to the flag.  When the yardage goes down you know you picked up the flag and have the right yardage.  Sure the jolt technology would make it easier but the current process does not slow me down.  

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the comments I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a NX7. I'll post out how I like it.

Welcome! I reviewed the NX7 Pro for MGS. Great unit, small, accurate and slope calculations with the Pro model. There's a mail in rebate I believe and an additional few dollars off for being an MGS forum member. Such a great unit that I thought about picking up a second unit for my wife. Also, free lifetime battery replacement (uses a watch battery and I've already replaced mine through Precision Pro and it was painless and fast!). Search the boards for my review (can't search for the link while I'm using my phone).

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Welcome! I reviewed the NX7 Pro for MGS. Great unit, small, accurate and slope calculations with the Pro model. There's a mail in rebate I believe and an additional few dollars off for being an MGS forum member. Such a great unit that I thought about picking up a second unit for my wife. Also, free lifetime battery replacement (uses a watch battery and I've already replaced mine through Precision Pro and it was painless and fast!). Search the boards for my review (can't search for the link while I'm using my phone).

MDGolfHacker

We should talk on Wed if you are getting one for the wide. We have a few in the shop.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

The MGS Best rangefinder for 2018 has just been posted;

https://mygolfspy.com/best-golf-rangefinder-2018/

Of these tested, which one would you go for...if $ was no object?

Me? I'd probably look at the Pro X2. Simple, accurate as hell & fast. That's all I'd need.

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

I grabbed this at PGA Superstore yesterday. My rangefinder is worth $143 as a trade! Makes me ponder the Tour V4 with slope....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I grabbed this at PGA Superstore yesterday. My rangefinder is worth $143 as a trade! Makes me ponder the Tour V4 with slope....attachicon.gifIMG_5493.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Most interesting....Hmmmmm! Thanks for sharing this! Checking now...

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

• 5 months later...

I have bought a Callaway 300 by reading this article about golf rangefinder from google. The budget of yours will really suit this model. Do not get me wrong, Bushnell Tour V3 is also an excellent product, but it will cost you more with almost the same benefits. If I list it out, you will basically get the same range, slope adjusted feature and laser technology with a higher price tag. You may get more out of Callaway 300 model compared to V3.  It provides additional features like the scan mode. Also, the magnification is 6x in Callaway 300 while Tour V3 only give 5x. So, it always up to the buyer what drives him more. If you want to go purely by brand recognition then definitely Bushnell is more reputable.

• 3 weeks later...

There are number of options around us. But I think before  choosing  Best Golf Rangefinders you have to wear in your mind following tips as my one of the friend suggested me. We have to keep in mind Price, Model, Size, Weight and also we should check features of the Rangefinder. I found gold rangefinder for every type of player online on Grumpy Gopher's website. You can also visit their site as well if you want tips for choosing best golf rangefinder.

5 hours ago, Farrah Donoho said:

There are number of options around us. But I think before  choosing  Best Golf Rangefinders you have to wear in your mind following tips as my one of the friend suggested me. We have to keep in mind Price, Model, Size, Weight and also we should check features of the Rangefinder. I found gold rangefinder for every type of player online on Grumpy Gopher's website. You can also visit their site as well if you want tips for choosing best golf rangefinder.

Nice to see his site lists MGS as the first source for recommendations. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

• 3 months later...

Currently I am using Bushnell V3 rangefinder for golf. It is solid and I could continue to use it as it has been treating me well for more than 4 years. The battery life is excellent and the optics are solid at the moment I play golf. This is quite basic in modern technology, but it still does work most of the time.

Edited by moalmer89

• 1 year later...
On 4/1/2019 at 12:55 PM, moalmer89 said:

Currently I am using Bushnell V3 rangefinder for golf. It is solid and I could continue to use it as it has been treating me well for more than 4 years. The battery life is excellent and the optics are solid at the moment I play golf. This is quite basic in modern technology, but it still does work most of the time.

I have the same rangefinder, i'd said that battery life is really excellent but optics is not so great for my opinion

I have a Nikon Coolshot 20 and it's a great device except the battery died a lot quicker than expected. I don't know if it's just the device draining it or the cold climate having an effect also but in 3 years it's gone through 2 batteries. 

• 11 months later...
On 1/8/2021 at 9:00 PM, Jedaigeki said:

I have a Nikon Coolshot 20 and it's a great device except the battery died a lot quicker than expected. I don't know if it's just the device draining it or the cold climate having an effect also but in 3 years it's gone through 2 batteries. 

I also have a Nikon and it is really cool😉

Just now, Michel B said:

I also have a Nikon and it is really cool😉

In addition to Nikon, I have a Callaway 30. I bought it by reading this honest guide. The budget of yours will really suit this model. Do not get me wrong, Bushnell Tour V3 is also an excellent product, but it will cost you more with almost the same benefits. If I list it out, you will basically get the same range, slope adjusted feature and laser technology with a higher price tag. You may get more out of Callaway 300 model compared to V3.  It provides additional features like the scan mode. Also, the magnification is 6x in Callaway 300 while Tour V3 only give 5x. 

I am a Bushnell person.  Have used them for many years and the V3 is a great product.  Leupold make great rangefinders as well.  The two best manufacturers on the market.  Any others I feel you are wasting you money for performance.  I always carry extra batteries because they always seem to go out at the most inconvenient times.    

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 20.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 6-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1s (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

3 minutes ago, ChuckZ said:

I am a Bushnell person.  Have used them for many years and the V3 is a great product.  Leupold make great rangefinders as well.  The two best manufacturers on the market.  Any others I feel you are wasting you money for performance.  I always carry extra batteries because they always seem to go out at the most inconvenient times.    

@ChuckZ, how many rounds are you able to get in with your Bushnell before having to replace yours?  I have the same model and need to replace the battery twice a year (at least last couple of years).    @Jedaigeki said he went through 2 batteries in 3 years although he has diff brand/model.   

• 99422724_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.e67bdb8f7e6eea7baa71ca677594bbde.jpgEpic Max LS 11.5° (10.5°+1) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6 stiff
  • 99422724_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.e67bdb8f7e6eea7baa71ca677594bbde.jpgEpic Flash 3 Wood 17° (15°+2) w/ Project X Even Flow Green 60 stiff
  • 943183396_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.391f8ed5e36869c949eb3a241d2a750d.jpgSuper Hybrid 21° (20°+1) w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 80 stiff
  • 518011180_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.f52e8c7ce28e9a854c65b04b28450163.jpgRogue Hybrid 5 (24°) w/ Aldila Synergy 60 HYB Graphite stiff
  •   Screenshot 2021-12-24 002411.jpg2021 P790 Irons 5-AW (1° flat, weakened lofts) w/ Aerotech Steelfiber i95 cw regular
  • 467311891_Screenshot2021-12-24002654.jpg.3c87f11fa77f127a10ed922bdcbbcc69.jpgCBX2 Wedges 54°, 58° w/ True Temper DG 115 Wedge flex
  • 467311891_Screenshot2021-12-24002654.jpg.3c87f11fa77f127a10ed922bdcbbcc69.jpgOdyssey White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab, 33 in
  • 1360869533_Screenshot2021-12-24002835.jpg.38d6fb8915a5bd0b37b4bbec950f4c64.jpgPro V1
  • bushnell_launchpro_logos_medium.jpg.7df9dcd404a46928e3850d1e1335e4e3.jpgBushnell Launch Pro

I went from a Nikon to the Bushnell Pro XE. Super fast, much faster than Nikon. Just love it.

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips

Man, talk about bringing a thread out of the moth balls! This one started in 2016!!! Crazy.

The Nikon Coolshot Pro II Stabilized is the best laser on the market, in my opinion. Not a single other laser has stabilization, and that alone sets it apart. For a few months I tried a laser that didn’t have it, and it’s a huge difference. As far as “speed” of lasers, I’m not sure that tenths of a second are REALLY noticeable, so I don’t bother with worrying about which is the fastest. I want a clear view, accuracy to within a yard or two (I’m not a Touring Pro so 2 is JUST fine), fits in my hand, and has slope. If you’ve never tried stabilization you’re missing out. Once you have it, everything after just won’t measure up!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX