Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

A lot of us, including me, like to worry about our practice swings a little too much. Whether you are in the fairway or on the tee box, stop taking 5 practice swings! I know that before I would be way too concerned with how I struck the ground on my practice swing. If I didn't even catch the top of the grass, I worried that I would blade the ball...and then I would. I tried something different recently though. I step behind the ball, take one easy 50% swing very casually, then address the ball and rip it.

This isn't for everyone, and its not even a permanent habit to create. This is just something for those of you who make 10 practice swings and still lack confidence standing over the ball. when you second guess yourself, thats when you mis hit. Not only that, you'll save your immediate energy for the shot, possibly increasing your distance.

Just a concept to think about.

SARGE BLOG: Helping people win the internet since the day I started helping people win the internet.

I step behind the ball, take one easy 50% swing very casually, then address the ball and rip it.

Not only that it speeds up the game and keeps you in rhythm. People playing with you and behind you will thank you for it.

Correct me if I'm wrong Sandy, but if I kill all the golfers, they're gonna lock me up and throw away the key... - Carl Spackler

A lot of us, including me, like to worry about our practice swings a little too much. Whether you are in the fairway or on the tee box, stop taking 5 practice swings! I know that before I would be way too concerned with how I struck the ground on my practice swing. If I didn't even catch the top of the grass, I worried that I would blade the ball...and then I would. I tried something different recently though. I step behind the ball, take one easy 50% swing very casually, then address the ball and rip it.

This isn't for everyone, and its not even a permanent habit to create. This is just something for those of you who make 10 practice swings and still lack confidence standing over the ball. when you second guess yourself, thats when you mis hit. Not only that, you'll save your immediate energy for the shot, possibly increasing your distance.

I think this is generally great advice. I rarely take a practice swing on a full shot. The only time I take multiple practice swings is coming out of difficult rough to gauge the effect the grass will have or on a delicate wedge shot where I want to be confident of the distance swing I will take.

I take one practice swing unless there's something uncomfortable about the shot. I have playing partners that just step up and hit it. I guess I'm just not quite that confident, but gotta love 'em!

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

I take one practice swing unless there's something uncomfortable about the shot. I have playing partners that just step up and hit it. I guess I'm just not quite that confident, but gotta love 'em!

I don't think it's a case of confidence Tyk. One practice swing unless it's uncomfortable sounds fine to me :P

I play with an Aussie over here who is definately the quickest golfer I've ever seen. Is he super confident? I doubt it, he's not much of a golfer and I guess he just does everything quickly. He messes up as many shots as he hits well and often plays shots before he's really given them enough thought.

There's a fine line between having a quick pre-shot routine and rushing. I'm not knocking the quick guys out there but as long as you're playing within the correct time period and you're not stood over the ball 'over thinking' then play at the speed that you feel most comfortable.

"The more I practice the luckier I get" - Gary Player

R1, Matrix Black Tie 7M3 S flex
RBZ, 14.5, Matrix Black Tie 7M3 S flex
R11 17 & 22 Rescues, Motore F3 S flex
Rocketbladez Tour irons, 5 - PW,
ATV 50,54,Tour preferred 58 wedges
Daddy Long Legs 33-35"
Tour Preferred X

Yeah, these are the same guys that just step out of thier car and walk to the 1st tee! They're good golfers too, single digit handicappers. I just can't help but think they'd be better if they warmed up and took thier time! Can't argue with thier results though, to each his own.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

Yeah, these are the same guys that just step out of thier car and walk to the 1st tee! They're good golfers too, single digit handicappers. I just can't help but think they'd be better if they warmed up and took thier time! Can't argue with thier results though, to each his own.

To each his own indeed.

Often trying to change your 'natural rhythm' can do more harm than good. Just try not to be influenced too much by other golfers tempos.

Daddy Long Legs 33-35"
Tour Preferred X

On all shots outside of 100yds, I take a 1/2 speed practice swing then go. I got my inside 100 routine from Micheal Breed on The Golf Fix. I take one swing that I know is too soft, one that is too hard, then step up to the ball and make a swing that is right in between those two. This has really helped my 100 and in game, especially the 25-50yd range.

I got my inside 100 routine from Micheal Breed on The Golf Fix. I take one swing that I know is too soft, one that is too hard, then step up to the ball and make a swing that is right in between those two. This has really helped my 100 and in game, especially the 25-50yd range.

That's a new one on me. Whilst I can understand the purpose of that routine on the range maybe I feel on the course a couple of swings trying to feel the tempo / swing I want to do rather than those I don't want to do to be more effective.

Hey, we're all different. Finding what works for you is always the key. I'm fascinated by the different things that work for different golfers.

I think the biggest mistake golfers make pre-shot is not actually getting comfortable with the shot they are about to undertake. Standing over the ball second guessing or feeling doubt is the main cause of bad shots, regardless of the speed you got there :mellow: So I guess the key is to take as long or as short a time as it takes to be 100% happy with the shot, club and target selection.

Daddy Long Legs 33-35"
Tour Preferred X

On all shots outside of 100yds, I take a 1/2 speed practice swing then go. I got my inside 100 routine from Micheal Breed on The Golf Fix. I take one swing that I know is too soft, one that is too hard, then step up to the ball and make a swing that is right in between those two. This has really helped my 100 and in game, especially the 25-50yd range.

I never watch the Golf Channel, but I backed into a subset of your technique on critical shots, especially on cut or semi-flop shots (I really cant hit a pure flop). Obviously, I am employing this type of shot because of something (hill, bunker, water, et.al.) that is between me and where I would normally want to land the ball. I dial in to what I think I need to the edge of the "obstruction," and give it just a little more. It seems to have really reduced the number of shots that come up short, helps eliminate my occasional desire to flip such a shot, but without a noticeable increase in gorilla hits.

• 4 weeks later...

Yep, I totally agree. Great advice. I also think this routine will bring back confidence faster, because you simply don't have time to think about the possible bad shot.

One other thing I do. I start counting silently and deliberately as soon as I have addressed the ball. I have to strike the ball by "four". By doing so, I can't think of anything but swinging and looking at the ball. All the bad mind-clutter disappears. I surprise myself with how well I begin to strike the ball, my confidence comes back, and with it, my game.

Ol' Stick

• 4 weeks later...

I don't take a practice swing at all unless it's a wedge or putter shot (those get one practice swing to make sure the mechanics are in order) but I've got a very consistent swing. For me, it's all about setting up correctly, once that's done a swing is a swing for me. The other thing that's helped a lot here is walking the course with a pull cart rather then a mechanical cart. Walking up to the ball lets me asses what I want to do long before I get there and pull the club. After that, it's set up properly and execute. My scores and playing time have dropped drastically this summer after sorting these two things. The only thing that slows me up now is second guessing my thoughts on the range to execute properly. Once I get a GPS, it should be all good B)

Otherwise agreed with the dithering over the ball. Typically the longer I or a friend takes over the ball, the worse the shot will be.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Yep you just described me. I can't tell you if I even have a pre-shot routine, it doesn't last more than 4 seconds

I have a revolving WITB policy.

• 1 year later...

On full shot, I know my yardage, club selection, and how I am going to play it usually before I get out of the cart. Until recently, I would get out grab a club, line up the shot and swing. Now, I am trying to add a practice swing to my routine. Usually, I do it while waiting for my playing partners to hit any way. I am usually last to play, longest drive, so I have time. So I am trying to take advantage of that time that I am waiting. But I do not waste a lot of time.

On chips and putts, I use the one too soft, one to hard, and then two or three that feel right. This only takes a few seconds, less time than having to hit again. But I do this standing behind the ball, looking at the hole. Once I have determined the speed and line, I step up and hit the ball.

Golf is all about direction and distance. On full shots, you need to focus on direction. On partial shots and putts, it is all about distance. As long as your preshot routine takes this in to account that is all that matters.

But if you spend more than 30 seconds once it is your turn, you are wasting time.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Archived