TESTERS WANTED! ×

Golf Instruction - Overload

dcorun

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone told me that bourbon fixes a flat swing plane... just sayin'.  ;)

Oh hell yea!   Now ya cooking with Crisco partner :D 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I was chuckling this morning because of my mini rant in this thread about all the flat swing doctors in my life...  Thursday, one of them handed me a "Butch Harmon About Golf" dvd pack for my viewing pleasure this weekend.  :D   Ahhhhhhhhhh  and the beat goes on ;)

Cleveland

I would strongly agree with the overload...I can hit some very good shots, but consistency is the issue (thus the handicap), so over the years I have tried anything I saw on GC, read in a book, etc. In many cases it would just mess me up worse than I was, and I would move on to the next 'this will fix my game'

To me the reality is everyone is different, every swing different, I see the 'add 10 mph to your swing and get 20 more yards' crap...20 years ago I would have been running for the phone, but now I realize 'thats great...provided I can close my hands with that extra speed'

The best golf tool I have ever found is a metronome, it reminds me that regardless of my swing speed, its the tempo thats important.

We are bombarded with the swing fast, go big or go home, let the big dog eat, etc etc that we forget, the key to the golf shot, regardless of who the coach is, or where your getting your information, is that your the one swinging the club, swing at your tempo, which is to say the tempo that lets your body, arms and hands swing relaxed and cleanly.

Now if I could just do that every shot

:)

RBZ 10.5* driver

DTG Turner H-1 4/5/7 woods

Titleist AP1 irons

TM Tour Preferred wedges (50/54/58)

Hannah C curve putter

My swing speed is on the cusp, stiff flex driver, working down to a regular flex in the irons.

I would strongly agree with the overload...I can hit some very good shots, but consistency is the issue (thus the handicap), so over the years I have tried anything I saw on GC, read in a book, etc. In many cases it would just mess me up worse than I was, and I would move on to the next 'this will fix my game'

To me the reality is everyone is different, every swing different, I see the 'add 10 mph to your swing and get 20 more yards' crap...20 years ago I would have been running for the phone, but now I realize 'thats great...provided I can close my hands with that extra speed'

The best golf tool I have ever found is a metronome, it reminds me that regardless of my swing speed, its the tempo thats important.

We are bombarded with the swing fast, go big or go home, let the big dog eat, etc etc that we forget, the key to the golf shot, regardless of who the coach is, or where your getting your information, is that your the one swinging the club, swing at your tempo, which is to say the tempo that lets your body, arms and hands swing relaxed and cleanly.

What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Cleveland

What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^

^^^ what he said ^^^

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I would strongly agree with the overload...

(.. some stuff snipped ..)

Hear hear, brother!!

In an effort to try and learn and understand just what tempo is, I've bought the Tour Tempo training aid and recently a Swing Click.

Ah the endless quest to improve.....

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

• 1 month later...

The sad truth is that very few people in any given profession have the true ability to teach, and only a percentage of those people have done the hard yards to hone their skills. To truly teach someone, you have to take them on a journey of discovery, and both parties have to be willing to put in the time. The teacher has to have the ability to tailor their instruction into a format palatable by the student, and the teacher must ... without exception ... be able to teach a variety of different solutions to the same problem. Anything else is simply "Do as I say and I'll make you great. Okay ... ready now? Monkey see, monkey do"

I've been a professional sports coach for over 40 years now, and the lion's share of that time was teaching professionals how to teach. Mostly YouTube does little but throw cliches at you. At best, a quality presentation might inspire you to seek out a professional teacher, but then you have a significant problem ...

And to discover what that problem is ... start reading from the top again.

Michael Madden.

This ^^^^^^^

I wish I had a Ben Franklin for every friend who has told me, "I take it too far inside". Hell I would be sitting my ole arse on the big island sucking down a cold one..... I've had lessons from seven or more (I forget :wacko: ) PGA Class A instructors who ALL have said my worst tendency is (guess what? ;) ),,,,,,, to swing too flat. Soooooooo by now I got it figured out that I all too often do what????? Swing to EFFING flat!!! Now the next one of the SOB's who tells me I'm swinging too flat is not gonna be in a good place. :angry: He/She is gonna think I've been on the rag for a couple of weeks with no hope of coming off.

The thing is I know all the drills to fix a flat swing plane. I have spent hours at the range and at home working on drills to correct my swing plane. All is well until I get on the course and my brain starts kicking into over think mode. The shat hit's the fan and I have the same amount of luck as a fat rabbit in a skinny fox den :blink: for swinging on plane.

I've been playing golf for 43 years now. I may have hit a slice at the beginning however after a year or so of playing it was all right to left shots. I was taught back then to flatten my plane and go after the ball from the inside. The problem came from going too flat and it's been a struggle ever since.

Sooooo don't frigging tell me I'm swinging too flat. I think by now I have an idea when the club face is facing the sky it's near impossible to square it up at the ball.

Rant over :D

It sounds like you're swinging too flat. You should fix that

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

It sounds like you're swinging too flat. You should fix that

Kiss my booty! :D 

Cleveland

Kiss my booty! :D

Couldn't resist, that ball was sitting up perfect in the rough

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

Couldn't resist, that ball was sitting up perfect in the rough

Yup you got me on that one....   ;)   Pay back is hell :D 

Cleveland

Great post and replies so far!

So, I work as a strength & conditioning coach and I also work for the IRB (International Rugby Board) as a coach trainer. Our big focus is the "coaching process" and one of the elements of the coaching process is reducing the amount of information we give to athletes.

Essentially, what research has found is that the athletes benefit most from one or at the most two key factors at a time. You can give a person five things to think about but the end result is they won't retain any of them for very long. Now, if you just give a person one key factor to really focus on, they usually get it. Keep the focus on that one key factor until they have it down and then move on and introduce another. Usually, you want to do this in a triage sort of organization; what is the biggest issue that needs to be fixed STAT. I have found that this applies to my golf game as well.

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

I think information overload is a very real danger with all the content out there but I think more and more instructors are stressing that there are many, many ways to be successful at golf. E.g strong grip, weak grip, 'across the line', 'laid off' etc.

The sad truth is that very few people in any given profession have the true ability to teach, and only a percentage of those people have done the hard yards to hone their skills. To truly teach someone, you have to take them on a journey of discovery, and both parties have to be willing to put in the time. The teacher has to have the ability to tailor their instruction into a format palatable by the student, and the teacher must ... without exception ... be able to teach a variety of different solutions to the same problem. Anything else is simply "Do as I say and I'll make you great. Okay ... ready now? Monkey see, monkey do"

I've been a professional sports coach for over 40 years now, and the lion's share of that time was teaching professionals how to teach. Mostly YouTube does little but throw cliches at you. At best, a quality presentation might inspire you to seek out a professional teacher, but then you have a significant problem ...

And to discover what that problem is ... start reading from the top again.

Michael Madden.

Yes. Which is one reason why I'm reluctant to go to just any ole body and say, "I want a lesson".

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Great post and replies so far!

So, I work as a strength & conditioning coach and I also work for the IRB (International Rugby Board) as a coach trainer. Our big focus is the "coaching process" and one of the elements of the coaching process is reducing the amount of information we give to athletes.

Essentially, what research has found is that the athletes benefit most from one or at the most two key factors at a time. You can give a person five things to think about but the end result is they won't retain any of them for very long. Now, if you just give a person one key factor to really focus on, they usually get it. Keep the focus on that one key factor until they have it down and then move on and introduce another. Usually, you want to do this in a triage sort of organization; what is the biggest issue that needs to be fixed STAT. I have found that this applies to my golf game as well.

Yes! Work on one thing at a time.

When that becomes a piece of your routine, setup, swing then start working on the next piece. Different people have different abilities and will proceed at different paces. One problem with golf is it's soooo complex and difficult to perform .. badly, let alone properly .. and we always want the quick fix / instant gratification..........

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

I've been down this "info overload" road way to many times.Its a road that only leads to disaster for so many including myself.Ive played with plus handicappers many a time that follow no swing doctrine.Their motions are a tragedy,but they go out and shoot low numbers everywhere.Many a teacher and swing guru may hate to hear this so here it is."There is no right or wrong way to do this"

Keep it in the short stuff

I've been down this "info overload" road way to many times.Its a road that only leads to disaster for so many including myself.Ive played with plus handicappers many a time that follow no swing doctrine.Their motions are a tragedy,but they go out and shoot low numbers everywhere.Many a teacher and swing guru may hate to hear this so here it is."There is no right or wrong way to do this"

Or:

"It's​ not 'How' .. it's 'How Many?'..."

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

• 8 months later...

Too many chefs spoil the soup!!!!

However it's smart to experiment with your swing so you can get a feeling for what is right and what is wrong. With that being said never turn away information.

There's a reason why the elite professionals all have swing coaches. You need another set of eyes on you to tell you what you are doing wrong so you can correct it in real time and not go back and forth with the camera losing feel.

I would like to think that I have a decent amount of knowledge when it comes to the game of golf and will always listen to what someone has to say(just take their advice it with a grain of salt)

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver -               Callaway Epic Sub Zero, 10.5*
Fairway Wood - Titleist 704, 15*
Hybrid -              Taylormade M1, 19*
Irons -                 Titleist AP2 716, 4-PW
Wedges -            Titleist sm7 50, 54, 58
Putter -               Wilson Staff Infinite

I know this has probably been brought up before but, does anybody else feel like we are being given way too much advice. TV, email, YouTube, etc. Strong grip, no neutral grip, feet pointing at 11 and 1, no 10 & 2 for seniors, closed stance for distance no, straight stance just roll the forearms, point clubface to right for a draw no, aim left and keep clubface square and on and on. Don't forget the special you get for these lessons, not $79.95, it's been reduced to $39.95. I took 3 lessons from a University of Maryland golf coach for the basics when I took up golf some 30+ years ago. The rest I taught myself but, at that time it was pretty standard. If you've read this whole thing let me know how you feel. Thanks and Happy New Year to MGS and all the members out there.

but wait we will double the order for this new swing gadget that will sit in the corner of your garage just pay separate postage

Bags

And on the other hand ... Here's a swing lesson you may want to avoid!!!

http://golf.swingbyswing.com/article/10-embarrassing-amateur-golf-fails-page-3/

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Now I know what's to do with my old phone

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Now I know what's to do with my old phone

Now I know what to do with my current iPhone...  when the Mophie no longer works.  Thanks again Chuck!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Ouch! You must have an older phone? FYI I keep my old phones and use them as iPods in the car and boat - music, podcasts, etc.

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

The one place on the course where you're safe from confusing, conflicting or .. unwanted .. instructions.....golffanatics.org_.jpeg

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Ouch! You must have an older phone? FYI I keep my old phones and use them as iPods in the car and boat - music, podcasts, etc.

iPhone 4S.  Battery won't last a day if I use it much, but thanks to cksurfdude, I now have a Mophie that helps it last all day and maybe two if I don't get many calls.  No cheap batteries for old iPhones.  I'm trying to delay the inevitable upgrade.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I can relate. I keep the old phone plugged in all the time when we use it for music, etc. you will be amazed how much faster the new phones are.

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

• 1 month later...

There's only so much to be gained from the indirect instruction you can get from videos/magazines etc. 

The best improvement I've seen has been when finding an instructor that can see the flaws in my swing, and effectively communicate the corrections.

The instructor/student relationship and communication is a huge factor. I teach (not golf) for a living, and my students perform best when I am able to provide a technique that fits their learning style.

In golf, being a tactile learner for me has shown mixed results. The teachers that couldn't communicate a change I could 'feel', gave me disastrous results. With the ones who could I was able to quickly see improvement.

I've found the book/magazine/video route is good for shot-making techniques or practice drills, but in-person instruction best for swing improvement.

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

I've been going to the same pro now for about 5 years and I have to say it has helped a lot. He know problems and strengths and can usually get me back on track with a quick "tune up" lesson.

A great example to this value is the last lesson I had. I noticed on the course my divots were a little out to in meaning an over the top swing. So I tried to self diagnose to problem and fix. Well that caused me to start pull hooking to ball. Met with my pro and after one swing he said yup your coming over the top but it's not an over the top swing problem, your hips are quitting half way through because your stance is too wide again. He had me narrow my stance just a tad and boom back to normal.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Archived