Jump to content

Golf Instruction - Overload


dcorun
 Share

Recommended Posts

I agree 100%! Information overload.

 

One of my favorite places to go is Me and My Golf. Watch one youtube video on what I am trying to improve before I go to the range. Then apply it at my practice sessions for the next week. I have found that this has substantially helped me fix my slice and cure my driver anxiety. 

  • Like 2

Driver:    :taylormade-small: M4 10.5* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Woods: :taylormade-small: M6 3W 15* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Hybrid: :taylormade-small: M4 Rescue 19* / KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype 85g Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Irons:    :srixon-small:  Z585 4-AW / KBS Tour 90 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Wedges:cleveland-small: CBX - 56* & 60* / KBS Hi Rev 2.0 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma 2 Tyne 4 Platinum / Superstroke Pistol

Ball:    :taylormade-small: Project a

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer 14

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am very big on getting as much information as possible and filtering through the mess to get what works. Usually that works out pretty good for me, but with golf instruction it is damn near impossible to effectively 'filter' the noise. One of the biggest mistakes I made in my first couple of years learning the game of being too focused on technique and numbers rather than learning what feels right and what works. Like others have said, watching Golf Channel or YouTube videos and picking up on the occasional piece of info that works for you is great, but you have to take it with a grain of salt. Learn your own swing, and listen for things that fit your game. 

 

...maybe I'll take my own advice this time around. 

  • Like 1

-PM

 

The Rebuilding Bag

Driver: PING G30 9 degree (Tour 60 Stiff) 44â€

Irons: 4-PW Titleist CB 714 (KBS Tour Stiff)

Wedge: 56 degree Callaway Mack Daddy 3 PM grind (KBS Tour wedge)

Putter: Odyssey Works 1 32â€

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

Being a game of opposites, the quiet professional at your local muni that seems to always be there and never gives unsolicited advice is probably what OP would like. The best Teaching Professional I know doesn't advertise himself beyond the absolute minimum and is all about let's remember this is a game let's have fun. Also is an absolute cut throat for 3hrs 58mins every Monday, somewhere else

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I've never taken golf lessons but have watched lots of instructional videos and what not and the only drill I have ever taken to my game was this little tee drill from Hank Haney. Set up two tees just wider than your iron and place a ball in the middle. Hit 10-15 shots without hitting tees and have your divot land after the tees. I do that at the range and warm up just swinging freely between the tees and it boosted my impact consistency.

Adams Speedline 4G ultralite driver stiff shaft

Taylormade SLDR driver extra stiff shaft

Ping G20 3 wood stiff shaft

Adams redline 3&4 hybrids stiff shaft

Adams redline 5-PW stiff shaft

Titleist Vokey sm5 wedges 52, 56, 60

Boccieri golf Heavy putter

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

One day on a range some guy observed my swing then pointed out some things without my asking.  I was beginning to get annoyed, when he came right up and grabbed me and my club and tried to put me into whatever posture and move the club wherever.

I visit him in the rehab facility periodically, he's really making great strides and is walking upright again! 

 

Haha, no, I didn't assault him.  But I definitely had a Sheldon Cooper moment and felt violated.  

 

Only recently have I finally seen video of my own swing.  And now I take my tripod with me often to the range, and the course if its empty.  I have a wicked OTT move that I just cannot shake.  And back to OP: I have found that even for fixing one flaw there are way too many "fixes" or "just one magic move".  For me, it is just time, trial and error.  A lesson once a yr or 2 doesnt hurt though!  But the bystander or 4some coach is the worst!!

  • Like 2

:ping-small:        G400 Max, PX Evenflow Blue 6.0s, until the adapter comes loose again in 5 swings. 😥

:cobra-small:  Bio Cell 3/4w, Project X PXV 6.0s; AMP 3h 19deg Aldila RIP R.  Bio Cell 4h 22.5deg PXV R. Aldila RIP 70 R; King Utility 4i, UST Recoil 780 ES SmacWrap S 

:wilson_staff_small: C300 cast irons 5-PW. Fujikura graphite R 

:cleveland-small:      CBX-2 50/11 

:taylormade-small:   ATV 56/16deg 

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Impact No.3 Align putter

:Arccos:     Caddie for tracking.     

:titelist-small:            Pro V1X balls

 

Previous forum tests:

2019: Golf Pride Tour Velvet Plus 4 grips, Lynx Black Cat 5-PW.    2020:  :skycaddie: LX5 Watch.    2021:  :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact #3 Align putter

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I went from novice, then 18 h/cap down to 5 in year 1 without any lessons, two more years and got to 3, and youtube didnt exist.

Then I wanted to get to the next level. Years of lessons, club fittings and changing bats and I'm off 7, my swing and head are full of conflicts and breaking 80 is hard to do.

This game just keeps on giving..........😂

  • Like 5

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wonder if instructors want you to do it 'their way' or if they are happy to let you do it your way and just make adjustments?  There's certainly no 'right' way to swing a golf club but there are important points in the swing where various elements are important.  I've never had professional instruction, so I ask.

 

  • Like 1

I got something to say then I'm gonna say it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, strokerAce said:

I wonder if instructors want you to do it 'their way' or if they are happy to let you do it your way and just make adjustments?  There's certainly no 'right' way to swing a golf club but there are important points in the swing where various elements are important.  I've never had professional instruction, so I ask.

 

I've had it both ways. One instructor in particular tried to change everything. I couldn't hit a bit for a month afterwards - almost gave up the game. My current instructor (only have a couple of lessons a year) makes slight adjusts to MY swing  - far better experience. 

  • Like 2

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, tony@CIC said:

I've had it both ways. One instructor in particular tried to change everything. I couldn't hit a bit for a month afterwards - almost gave up the game. My current instructor (only have a couple of lessons a year) makes slight adjusts to MY swing  - far better experience. 

That's the way it should be... more of a 'coach' than an instructor but that's neither here nor there.

I coach youth basketball and if a kid can hit a shot I'm not changing his form to make it "picture perfect"....

I got something to say then I'm gonna say it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, strokerAce said:

I wonder if instructors want you to do it 'their way' or if they are happy to let you do it your way and just make adjustments?  There's certainly no 'right' way to swing a golf club but there are important points in the swing where various elements are important.  I've never had professional instruction, so I ask.

 

There are some that teach one swing to everyone regardless of the person has the ability to get into those positions or not. The good one work within a persons phyical capabilities to achieve a functioning and consistent swing. Imo there are a few things that should be consistent in the golf swing for everyone. Impact position...if you look at the pros they all have different backswings but if you overlayed their impact position they would all pretty much align the same. This comes from getting swing in the right plane onto impact.  

Fundamentals in setup, ball position and grip go a long way to making consistent swings

  • Like 2

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

There are some that teach one swing to everyone regardless of the person has the ability to get into those positions or not. The good one work within a persons phyical capabilities to achieve a functioning and consistent swing. Imo there are a few things that should be consistent in the golf swing for everyone. Impact position...if you look at the pros they all have different backswings but if you overlayed their impact position they would all pretty much align the same. This comes from getting swing in the right plane onto impact.  

Fundamentals in setup, ball position and grip go a long way to making consistent swings

 

I agree - for the most part - with your last 2 statements.  

I suppose it is "easier" to teach 'my' swing as an instructor but I just can't see how that can be successful over and over again - we're talking about amateurs here.  See what they have and then make the subtle adjustments instead of tearing everything down and starting from scratch.

  • Like 1

I got something to say then I'm gonna say it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wonder if instructors want you to do it 'their way' or if they are happy to let you do it your way and just make adjustments?  There's certainly no 'right' way to swing a golf club but there are important points in the swing where various elements are important.  I've never had professional instruction, so I ask.
 

Sine want you to do it their way and others work with your current swing. The best have a discussion with you prior to the lessons on goals and aspirations. This will enable the instructor to pick the right path. Most players have a consistent swing, but a player that wants to play tournament golf will need to approach instruction differently than someone that wants to golf once a week and break 90. The amount of practice that a player is willing to commit to should also be taken into account.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787

 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In my opinion, it takes much more skill to evaluate a player's current swing, and determine the root cause of a "problem", or determine the single most important thing he can improve.  The teachers who can do the diagnosis effectively, AND communicate to the player what needs to change, AND give the player the tools (feels, drills, etc) to make the change are the very best.  Its still up to the player to do the work, practice properly, utilize the tools, (and ignore all of the OTHER instructional content out there), that's out of the teacher's control.

In my opinion, it takes much less skill to teach the same swing to every student.  Those teachers will certainly be successful with some players, but with others they'll be complete failures.  For this reason I'd suggest that a player "sit in" on a few lessons being given by a prospective instructor. If he tells every student the same thing, I'd look for someone else.

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, DaveP043 said:

In my opinion, it takes much more skill to evaluate a player's current swing, and determine the root cause of a "problem", or determine the single most important thing he can improve.  The teachers who can do the diagnosis effectively, AND communicate to the player what needs to change, AND give the player the tools (feels, drills, etc) to make the change are the very best.  Its still up to the player to do the work, practice properly, utilize the tools, (and ignore all of the OTHER instructional content out there), that's out of the teacher's control.

In my opinion, it takes much less skill to teach the same swing to every student.  Those teachers will certainly be successful with some players, but with others they'll be complete failures.  For this reason I'd suggest that a player "sit in" on a few lessons being given by a prospective instructor. If he tells every student the same thing, I'd look for someone else.

They have a Groupon every other week for 'golf lessons' around here.... I can only imagine that is what this guy does...

I got something to say then I'm gonna say it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, strokerAce said:

 

I agree - for the most part - with your last 2 statements.  

I suppose it is "easier" to teach 'my' swing as an instructor but I just can't see how that can be successful over and over again - we're talking about amateurs here.  See what they have and then make the subtle adjustments instead of tearing everything down and starting from scratch.

Usually doesn’t work out for the student and frustration can grow because they can’t do what’s being taught. Some students will stick with it even though frustrated because they do t realize the instructor can’t adjust to their needs, others will just give up and others will find an instructor that can work right their capabilities 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...