TESTERS WANTED! ×

Favorite golf moment of 2016

hckymeyer

As we approach the new year it's time to reflect back on the past season.  I'd like to know what your favorite golf related moment of 2016 was?  Was it a personal achievement?  A memorable round?  New gear?  Playing somewhere special or with someone special?  Something from one of the tours?

Since it's my thread and I can do what I want...I'm going to pick two :)

First was finally shooting par on 18 holes at my home course. I've been close a time or two, but finally did it this year.  Best/worst part was that I missed 3 birdie putts inside of 6' during the round.  Yes I said 3, and yes two of them were inside of 4'.  It could have been something really special but mentally I proved to myself I could do it.

Second was watching the Rory vs. Reed match during the Ryder Cup.  It was such a spectacular match with so much emotion and heart.  Just amazing to watch and will go down as one of the greatest matches ever played in golf.

So what's your favorite golf moment of 2016?

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I have two.  First, I shot even par 70 at my home club for the first time after having a few dozen 71's.  It was a strange round though.  I was +8 through six holes and went nuts with birdies on the next four holes.  I also holed out for eagle from 90 yards on 11.  I birdied 13 and lipped a 20 foot putt out on 14 for eagle.  Boring ole pars the rest of the way left me with an even par 70.

Second, my 8 year old daughter was with me during the previously mentioned round.  She had been asking to go for some time so a buddy brought his son to round out the foursome.  My home club has "kids tees" on 15 of the 18 holes.  The remaining three can be played at under 100 yards from the senior tees.  She has been bitten by the golf bug.  We have since played about 20 rounds together since that afternoon in June.  I am anxiously awaiting better weather so we can spend more time together on the course.  It is incredible to see her so passionate about something I love so much.

Her entire Christmas wish list consisted of new clubs, bag and Clicgear.  

For me personally it was breaking 80 (78) on a really difficult course in Austin Texas. The Fazio-Foothills course at Barton Creek. We'd played two previous rounds with each course being more difficult than the one before. Like Meyer... it could have been even better except for a couple of missed birds that should have been.

My other is the 6i DJ hit on 18 to win the US Open. Knocked it stiffer than a preachers di*k!! That's how you finish a major.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I have a few, but to be more specific, James Hahn (personal friend) won this year with PXG equipment, next, shot 64 at my local course match play group (we played for a plastic tee...I know...lol), last, my son (US Marine) came home for the holidays from Japan (surprised us) and we played golf for the first time in a very long time, had the time of my life (he doesn't play at all, but got us a round of golf at one of the better courses in the area), he was laughing at his bad shots, which were almost every single one, didn't keep score at all, just went out and played...

Driver              SLDR TP 10.5* with Aldila Rogue Silver 125 MSI 60 Tour X, 44.25"

3W                  Ping G25 with Diamana White Board D+ 82X, 42.5", tipped .5"

Driving Iron     Callaway X Prototype Utility with Tour AD DI 105X

Irons               4-P Callaway Tour Authentic Prototype with KBS C-Taper 130X

Wedges          Cleveland RTX-588 46, 50, 54, 58 with True Temper DG Tour X100

Putter              Odyssey White Hot Pro Tour V-Line with Super Stroke 1.0 Pistol GT Tour, 33.25"

Golf Ball          Kirkland Signatures and Chrome Soft 2016

I also have two, both from my Florida vacation in March.

#1 was playing with Foz, Rev and Barbajo at Pebblecreek (Foz's home club). After driving a couple of hours in sucky traffic and the last 20 minutes in an absolute downpour, it was great to meet and play with these guys.

#2 was beating my FIL by a couple of strokes at San Carlos. My FIL used to play to scratch many, many years ago and all of the family still think it's a big deal to beat him, even though his game has gone downhill due to age and poor fitness (ie: not doing anything). The old man can still hit it straight and has a good time. I hope to accomplish it again in March 2017.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I gotta go with MattF;

#1 Hosting a game for RevKev, Barbajo & MattF was a blast, paying homage to My Golf Spy, the one thing that brought us together. Thanks MGS

#2 Breaking 80 4 times in the past year.......and hoping to break it some more in 2017!

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

1. first ever hole-out for eagle on a par 4...127yds PW

Capture2.PNG

2. attending BMW champ in Indy with my golf buddy...first ever pga event

20160910_135654.jpg

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

seems like so long ago now, almost forgot winning more WilsonStaff equip than you can shake a stick at from MGS!!!1482969096393.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

For me it's just getting out to play. After the year I've had being able to play at all was awesome

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Two stick out for me this year. First was crossing Pebble Beach off my bucket list and shooting 75 from the Open tees was just icing on the cake. Second was after playing golf for 35+ years I finally made an ace at Sea Island the weekend of the RSM Classic. 2016 was a frustrating golf season for me but ended in great fashion.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Mine was watching my 76 year old friend get his first hole-in-one and oh by the way, his son was home from California on vacation and witnessed it too

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I gotta go with MattF;

#1 Hosting a game for RevKev, Barbajo & MattF was a blast, paying homage to My Golf Spy, the one thing that brought us together. Thanks MGS

attachicon.gifIMG_0401.JPG

#2 Breaking 80 4 times in the past year.......and hoping to break it some more in 2017!

That was definitely a highlight for me as well - what a fun round of golf!

Had the chance to hook up with several MGS'ers this year.  HIghFade and Jamboy in Colorado...

IMG_0708.jpg

Dana, 3PuttPaul and StrokerAce in Massachusetts, and several get togethers with Evershady, J_Wurz and others here in Minnesota. More to come in 2017!!!

Visiting Bridgestone in March with MGoBlue100 was awesome - VERY cool to see their factory in action...

Then there was that magical week in Florida with Blair O'Neil. I wish she'd stop calling me - her obsession is bordering on stalking, but you know what they say about middle-aged Italian men...

IMG_0608.jpg

Getting to play Pebble was beyond words! Shooting the low round of our group without using driver was even better...

IMG_1290.jpg

And losing 5 bucks to Ernie Els on a closest to the pin challenge was embarrassing!

IMG_1684.jpg

And at the risk of sounding maudlin, yacking about golf with you guys has been an honor. Here's to more of it in 2017!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Playing-wise it was my chance to play at PGA West this year. Such an amazing place and I'll never forget the roll of those greens!

Moving my GHIN to 6 this year has been nice too.

TV-wise it was Stenson and Mickelson the last round of the Open. Unreal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

For me it's just getting out to play. After the year I've had being able to play at all was awesome

Agreed! Theoo and I got out with a couple other buddies one afternoon and had a blast! Hoping to do the same with some MSGers next year as well.

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

I have two for 2016.

First was my first ever eagle on a par 4

Second was my best 18 holes ever 40 / 30 = 70

I was on 18 par 5 3 foot away putting for my 2nd eagle and a 69, and choked big time.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

That was definitely a highlight for me as well - what a fun round of golf!

Had the chance to hook up with several MGS'ers this year.  HIghFade and Jamboy in Colorado...

attachicon.gifIMG_0708.jpg

Dana, 3PuttPaul and StrokerAce in Massachusetts, and several get togethers with Evershady, J_Wurz and others here in Minnesota. More to come in 2017!!!

Visiting Bridgestone in March with MGoBlue100 was awesome - VERY cool to see their factory in action...

Then there was that magical week in Florida with Blair O'Neil. I wish she'd stop calling me - her obsession is bordering on stalking, but you know what they say about middle-aged Italian men...

attachicon.gifIMG_0608.jpg

Getting to play Pebble was beyond words! Shooting the low round of our group without using driver was even better...

attachicon.gifIMG_1290.jpg

And losing 5 bucks to Ernie Els on a closest to the pin challenge was embarrassing!

attachicon.gifIMG_1684.jpg

And at the risk of sounding maudlin, yacking about golf with you guys has been an honor. Here's to more of it in 2017!

I think this topic turned into a brag session for Barbajo on how lucky he has been this year. 

For me getting on season 3 of Hack To Jack and getting the full Wilson treatment, as well as going to Ryder Cup, and Myrtle Beach for the World Am.  

Chippewa Falls Wisconsin

10.3 Index

Right Handed

What's in the bag:

Driver: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 8* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-flex, :ping-small: Anser 8*, Black Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex; :cobra-small: King LTD Pro Orange Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex

FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 15* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-Flex :ping-small: Anse14*, Fujikura Speeder 757 US Open Edition , X-Stiff

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V4 2 utility Iron, 3-PW, +0.25, 2* Upright, True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100

Wedges: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour PMP Gun Blue 52* bent to 51*, 56* True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100 Shafts

:edel-golf-1: E2 35", :wilson_staff_small: 8802 35.5", :ping-small: Scottsdale, Wolverine C 35" :ping-small: Anser Milled, Anser 2 34"

I think this topic turned into a brag session for Barbajo on how lucky he has been this year. 

For me getting on season 3 of Hack To Jack and getting the full Wilson treatment, as well as going to Ryder Cup, and Myrtle Beach for the World Am.  

Won't lie - it's been a good year.  

Except for that restraining order...

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I was in the booth when she was doing the pictures.   I was wondering who that was the police were dragging out in cuffs...LOL

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

For me it was probably playing Pinehurst No. 2 in the TeamTitleist event in September.   It was the first time for me playing the course since the renovation a couple years ago, and the weather was just about perfect for it.  The whole 3 days were actually awesome. 

That cartoon balloon is me speaking, right?  I tell ya, she's obsessed!

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

My favorite has to be the two week vacation that my wife and I took Florida.  Wish the weather could have been better.  My wife and I visited the World Golf Hall of Fame in St Augustine, FL; playing the Slammer & Squire, and King & Bear courses; then more golf in Orlando; and ending the trip with a round of golf with Rev and Foz at the Bayou, followed by a wonderful dinner at the Bayou Club with my wife Martha, Foz, Rev and his wife Kersti and their daughter Penny.  What a great trip!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Two highlights for me. Finally won a board event at my club on the last weekend of November (after 13 years of trying) Backed it up the next week with another name on a board, with my best ever "slope played to" score, 74 nett 69 when only 1 other player was lower than handicap.

Mind you, I had a lot of fun even when my golf wasn't great.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

What a great topic!

For me there were the aforementioned meetings with MGSers Matt, Barbajo, Kenny and wife Martha along with Foz whom I've played with several other times.

I didn't quite have the Judge's haul but the new set if Wilson C200 s was pretty sweet.

There was the round where one of my college roommates made an ace, the other holes out for eagle and I quietly cleaned their clocks by shooting 73.

The winner though has to be the 60th birthday bash that my congregation threw for me. They decked the entire place out like a country club and presented me with my membership paid for an entire year!

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

For me it was probably playing Pinehurst No. 2 in the TeamTitleist event in September. It was the first time for me playing the course since the renovation a couple years ago, and the weather was just about perfect for it. The whole 3 days were actually awesome.

I went to Pinehurst in August. I've always been a Ross fan, but was so disappointed in #2. I just don't think I'm a fan of the naturalistic approach with the scrubgrass.

#2 being a letdown and #4 being unplayable pretty much sank the trip. I did really enjoy #8 and #9. Both fantastic courses with a lot of character.

What were your thoughts on the Team Titleist Invite?

I went to Pinehurst in August. I've always been a Ross fan, but was so disappointed in #2. I just don't think I'm a fan of the naturalistic approach with the scrubgrass.

#2 being a letdown and #4 being unplayable pretty much sank the trip. I did really enjoy #8 and #9. Both fantastic courses with a lot of character.

What were your thoughts on the Team Titleist Invite?

Ha. I was prepared to hate no 2. I had played it probably a dozen times per renovation and loved it. I hated the way it looked on TV for the 2014 US Open. But I was pleasantly surprised.

No 4 was an issue for us as well. 3 inches of rain overnight the day before we played had it swamped.

I guess it had it's issues all year. Therefore the major renovation scheduled for it this year.

The event was great. Lots of Titleist staff members there. They were very accessible and open to any and all conversation. Cousldnt have been a nicer group.

Of course they are there to promote Titleist. But the perks and SWAG we got in addition to the Golf, hotel and Food made it a very good value in my mind.

I have a thread on here. I'll find it and bump it for you.

Sent from my LG-D850 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Archived