Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

BenHogan Golf Closing?

JudgeSmails

Yes, putting this in rumors.....saw a story from another site that shall not be named, that BenHogan laid off all employees and may be closing.....anyone heard anything on this?   Not going to post the link here for obvious reasons, but you can PM me if you want it....There's very little info on it though.

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

Go ahead and spill the beans Judge. The cat (rumor) is out of the bag already.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Go ahead and spill the beans Judge. The cat (rumor) is out of the bag already.

the 'story' isnt much more in depth than my post

Sent from my SM-G900V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

looks like its true...got an email from mgs now

I am on the Ben Hogan email list, having bought a few of their wedges. They sent an email out today that stated they are voluntarily reorganizing and that many of the employees have been hired back as contractors. So it seems this is a move to cut expenses--I.e. health care costs. Sounds like this means the brand will stick around a bit longer.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

Here is the email:

Ben Hogan Golf Equipment Company announces reorganization and restructuring - maintains commitment to building highest quality and most precise golf equipment in the world

Fort Worth, Texas: The Ben Hogan Golf Equipment Company announced today that it is going through a period of re-tooling and right-sizing in an effort to become more nimble and profitable in the highly competitive golf equipment business.

The Company has voluntarily implemented a reorganization initiative to minimize expenses and streamline the operation. This included the reduction of a large percentage of the exempt and non-exempt workforce, some of whom will be rehired as contract employees. The company has not declared bankruptcy nor been foreclosed upon, and remains in the business of producing and selling the highest quality and most precise golf equipment in the world.

"Reports of our death have been greatly exaggerated", said Scott White, President and CEO of the Ben Hogan Golf Equipment Company. "While our organization does not look the same today as it did in 2016, we are confident that the changes we are making will make us a stronger and better company in the future".

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

I talked with someone on the phone today (to make sure my wedge order was still coming) and he said that all the current orders will be filled. Hopefully they keep going, they've got great equipment and a great legacy to build on.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

I feel for the employees, hope they can find jobs soon.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

I gamed the PTx irons for a short while earlier this year.  Good looking but very 'meh' in feel and performance.  I think anyone who understands the industry could have predicted this ending for them.  Zero retail distribution, hefty price tag and the loft stamping seemed to be gimmicky to some I talked with.  Plus if the irons don't feel or perform exceptionally well then they don't warrant that kind of price tag.  All that is a recipe for disaster.

Spoke with CEO Scott White this morning - had some interesting things to say, as well as some predictable things...

1. Not ALL employees were let get, but most of them were.  All manufacturing, salaried sales and marketing were laid off - about 30 people all together.

2. Independent field sales reps are still on the job - in White's words "pounding the pavement and selling."  Another 5 or so, including White, are still on the job at the Fort Worth HQ.

3. "Right this minute nobody is building clubs," he said. But they are calling some people back right now to fill orders for Dick's/Golf Galaxy and online orders.  

4. Long term plan is to bring back people as needed, but as contract workers. 

5. White is calling this a corporate reset, or reboot.  "We wanted to clear the slates. We really want to start with an empty building and decide whom exactly we need to come back and in what capacity."

6. Asked White about Hogan's original business plan -- they seemingly built a facade of a large, successful company with a lavish headquarters. Seemed like they built a framework presuming to be a big, successful company before even selling a club - like they built the facade first and the backfilled it with substance.  His response:  "That's a fair statement."

7. "I don't want to criticize because I wasn't here, and I don't want to criticize the prior management, but I think there was a hope that the Ben Hogan brand name was going to contribute to immediate success on a pretty grand scale.  I think you're right, a more conservative and more thoughtful approach might have been more prudent. You know, just build this up as revenues increased."

Overall impressions - this isn't a good thing, but it's necessary if Hogan is to make it. They put the cart before the horse, so to speak - acting, and spending, like a big, successful company in the finest Hogan tradition before actually being a viable company.  Sales didn't catch up to support the facade, and it didn't look like it was going to any time soon.  They had to slash and cut, and now face the difficult task of trying to rebuild a right-sized company.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Spoke with CEO Scott White this morning - had some interesting things to say, as well as some predictable things...

1. Not ALL employees were let get, but most of them were. All manufacturing, salaried sales and marketing were laid off - about 30 people all together.

2. Independent field sales reps are still on the job - in White's words "pounding the pavement and selling." Another 5 or so, including White, are still on the job at the Fort Worth HQ.

3. "Right this minute nobody is building clubs," he said. But they are calling some people back right now to fill orders for Dick's/Golf Galaxy and online orders.

4. Long term plan is to bring back people as needed, but as contract workers.

5. White is calling this a corporate reset, or reboot. "We wanted to clear the slates. We really want to start with an empty building and decide whom exactly we need to come back and in what capacity."

6. Asked White about Hogan's original business plan -- they seemingly built a facade of a large, successful company with a lavish headquarters. Seemed like they built a framework presuming to be a big, successful company before even selling a club - like they built the facade first and the backfilled it with substance. His response: "That's a fair statement."

7. "I don't want to criticize because I wasn't here, and I don't want to criticize the prior management, but I think there was a hope that the Ben Hogan brand name was going to contribute to immediate success on a pretty grand scale. I think you're right, a more conservative and more thoughtful approach might have been more prudent. You know, just build this up as revenues increased."

Overall impressions - this isn't a good thing, but it's necessary if Hogan is to make it. They put the cart before the horse, so to speak - acting, and spending, like a big, successful company in the finest Hogan tradition before actually being a viable company. Sales didn't catch up to support the facade, and it didn't look like it was going to any time soon. They had to slash and cut, and now face the difficult task of trying to rebuild a right-sized company.

So White was brought in to fix hogan. Now it's getting serious.

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

So White was brought in to fix hogan. Now it's getting serious.

Yep - pretty much stripping down Terry Koehler's business concept and starting virtually from scratch.  Start small and grow as revenues allow.  What a concept!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I hope White succeeds. Hate to see the Hogan line fade away...

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Thank you Barbajo for the update! Interesting stuff, indeed. Wondering how worried I should be about my open order.... I spoke with a rep there today that works remotely (after multiple failed attempts to reach anyone on site). He said there is nothing to worry about at all - business as usual. When I alluded to the reorg announcement, he didn't even acknowledge it - said lots of golf companies go through layoffs this time of year. In the end he couldn't provide an estimated ship date for my order placed on Dec. 16 because the computer system is reportedly down. If they have amassed a backlog through this process and are trying to bring assemblers in on a contract basis, I can only imagine they will be trying to fill big shipment orders first. I would be curious to hear from anyone else who has spoken with someone at Hogan since the announcement to hear what feedback they got.

My original sales rep Richard, who has been an absolute pleasure to work with, was unavailable when I tried to reach him at Hogan today.

Hopefully I am fretting over nothing. The company has intrigued me since their launch and I fell in love with the product at my fitting. Hoping this is the reboot they need to start a profitable business moving forward.

I received this email directly from BH Company.

Hogan_Logo.png

Ben Hogan Golf Equipment Company announces reorganization and restructuring - maintains commitment to building highest quality and most precise golf equipment in the world

Fort Worth, Texas: The Ben Hogan Golf Equipment Company announced today that it is going through a period of re-tooling and right-sizing in an effort to become more nimble and profitable in the highly competitive golf equipment business.

The Company has voluntarily implemented a reorganization initiative to minimize expenses and streamline the operation. This included the reduction of a large percentage of the exempt and non-exempt workforce, some of whom will be rehired as contract employees. The company has not declared bankruptcy nor been foreclosed upon, and remains in the business of producing and selling the highest quality and most precise golf equipment in the world.

"Reports of our death have been greatly exaggerated", said Scott White, President and CEO of the Ben Hogan Golf Equipment Company. "While our organization does not look the same today as it did in 2016, we are confident that the changes we are making will make us a stronger and better company in the future".

About Ben Hogan Golf

The Ben Hogan Golf Equipment Company is based in Fort Worth, TX and manufactures premium golf clubs and golf bags. The company was started in 1953 by Ben Hogan himself, and is continuing Mr. Hogan's reputation of innovation, performance, and classical designs. For players who are serious about their games, and the game of golf, there is only one choice: Ben Hogan Golf Equipment

Twitter: @BenHoganGolf

Instagram: Ben Hogan Golf

Facebook: Ben Hogan Golf

More information: http://www.benhogangolf.com

© 2017 Ben Hogan Golf Equipment Company. PreciseLoft System, V-SOLE, FT. WORTH irons, and PTx irons are trademarks of The Ben Hogan Golf Equipment Company.

Ben Hogan Golf 685 John B. Sias Memorial Parkway #515 Fort Worth, Texas 76134 United States

You received this email because you are subscribed to Marketing Information from Ben Hogan Golf.

Sent from my SM-N920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Thank you Barbajo for the update! Interesting stuff, indeed. Wondering how worried I should be about my open order.... I spoke with a rep there today that works remotely (after multiple failed attempts to reach anyone on site). He said there is nothing to worry about at all - business as usual. When I alluded to the reorg announcement, he didn't even acknowledge it - said lots of golf companies go through layoffs this time of year. In the end he couldn't provide an estimated ship date for my order placed on Dec. 16 because the computer system is reportedly down. If they have amassed a backlog through this process and are trying to bring assemblers in on a contract basis, I can only imagine they will be trying to fill big shipment orders first. I would be curious to hear from anyone else who has spoken with someone at Hogan since the announcement to hear what feedback they got.

My original sales rep Richard, who has been an absolute pleasure to work with, was unavailable when I tried to reach him at Hogan today.

Hopefully I am fretting over nothing. The company has intrigued me since their launch and I fell in love with the product at my fitting. Hoping this is the reboot they need to start a profitable business moving forward.

I hope you have better luck than when I got my SCOR wedges.  I bought the 50, 54 and 58 SCORs and loved them, so after a several months of playing them I decided to add the 46 and 42.  However, I ordered them about the time SCOR was shutting down and Terry Koehler was starting up Ben Hogan Golf.  These last two were not of the same quality build as the others.  One had a ferrule the was not properly seated on the hosel, and the head flew off the shaft on the other club a couple of weeks after I got it. There was almost no epoxy.  

If they are producing orders with people called in on a temporary or contract basis just to get orders out, I would be a little worried.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Precisely. Sorry to hear about your experience with the SCORs. I work in manufacturing and I am well aware of the correlation between increasing our temporary work force and product defects. I invested a healthy chunk of change in these 11 clubs. I did so after much research and testing. I was thrilled with the customer service and quality of the clubs. My wife always says I do my engineer thing and investigate things to death. In the case, she was right! Should have pulled the trigger on the Hogans last summer after my fitting!

Called them this morning with the same question regarding a wedge order. I was told orders should be shipped out by Monday. Just an hour drive to Fort Worth from here, I'd be more then happy to drive and get them if they'd let me.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Ethan - Did your wedges show up yet?

I got a call back this past Friday and was informed that my clubs had been built, but got stuck in the shipping dept when the reorg announcement was made.  The rep was much more forthcoming with info and confirmed everything reported in the press releases.  I am supposed to receive shipping confirmation and tracking # today.  Fingers crossed - I am playing at Pinehurst at the end of the month want to put the new sticks through their paces!

What courses will you play?

Also... have you played Pine Needles and Mid-Pines before? Love those 2 courses.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I will be playing #2 only on this quick trip - they have a nice discounted rate through early Feb.  My father in law lives on #6, so naturally I try to visit him as much as possible!  I have played every course at the resort, plus Legacy and a few others.  I had a round booked at Pine Needles two years ago, and was treated to an extended wait in the pro shop followed by course closure due to driving rain.  I have heard  great things and it is at the top of my list to try. 

NCST8golf, did you ever get your clubs?

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

• 2 weeks later...

Ethan - Did your wedges show up yet?

I got a call back this past Friday and was informed that my clubs had been built, but got stuck in the shipping dept when the reorg announcement was made. The rep was much more forthcoming with info and confirmed everything reported in the press releases. I am supposed to receive shipping confirmation and tracking # today. Fingers crossed - I am playing at Pinehurst at the end of the month want to put the new sticks through their paces!

yup I got them two days after the announcement but tried to order another one but can't get hold of the company on phones and get a warning entering the website checkout saying the site is no longer trusted.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Really sucks cuz I love the Hogan gear I have.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

NCST8golf, did you ever get your clubs?

I did indeed. All 11 clubs showed up. They were late, but it doesn't appear they suffered any ill effects from the corporate restructuring process. Lengths, grips and shafts were all spot on. I haven't measured lie angle but nothing is grossly out of spec. Bag showed up too - the right color and everything! I must admit, I was nervous when the news broke about Hogan, but I haven't noticed anything in the build quality that has me worried. Now just hoping Hogan can pull through because I do love the clubs. I went with a combo of the hi irons and standard Ft Worth 15s along with 4 of the TK wedges. They feel great and look even better.

Archived