Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

RIP Ben Hogan Golf

null

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Link to anything?

ogio_logo1.jpg?w=690Shredder Stand Bag /  :taylormade-small: TP SLDR S Mini 16* /  adams-golf-logo.jpg?w=690Pro DHy 18* /  :cobra-small: Baffler 7w 20* /   :cobra-small: King F6 irons 5i-GW /                                     bsglogo1.jpg?w=690 J15 54* /  putt.jpg?w=690 Sierra 101-Soft /  :srixon-small: Z-star balls / all shafts regular flex / Lamkin Crossline Ace 3GEN oversize grips 

I wonder if the loft stamps really hurt their sales. Trying to be different and then special order had to hurt. Nice irons though.

Driver- Callaway 815 Big Bertha Alpha Double Black Diamond

3 Wood- Callaway 815 Big Berth Alpha

3 -5 Hybrids Callaway Apex

6-PW- 2014 Callaway Apex Pro

50,54, 58 Wedges- Callaway MD3

Putter- SeeMore FGP

Ball- Kirkland Signature and Snell MTB

On a somewhat related note, I saw this from Hopkins, the other special order clubs I think of.

https://hopkinsgolf.com/off-page/index.html

Driver- Callaway 815 Big Bertha Alpha Double Black Diamond

3 Wood- Callaway 815 Big Berth Alpha

3 -5 Hybrids Callaway Apex

6-PW- 2014 Callaway Apex Pro

50,54, 58 Wedges- Callaway MD3

Putter- SeeMore FGP

Ball- Kirkland Signature and Snell MTB

Confirmed -- pretty sad news.  Laid off 100% of its staff - no word on whether the company will shut down permanently, but it sure doesn't look good.

Some inside dope here...

https://www.mygolfspy.com/ben-hogan-lays-off-100-of-workforce/

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Sad news for the employees and the brand, but in all honesty the Hogan name probably lost anything it had some time ago.

Sure, it made some great clubs back in the day and maybe it had it's fair share of fans right up to the present day - but it is (or was) a classic example of how not to run a golf business in the modern era. 

If it's any consolation, I'm glad it didn't go the same way as Lynx, Macgregor, Ram etc. and churn out junk.

Very sad to hear... Again feel horrible for all the people that have lost their jobs. 

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

giphy.gif

ogio_logo1.jpg?w=690Shredder Stand Bag /  :taylormade-small: TP SLDR S Mini 16* /  adams-golf-logo.jpg?w=690Pro DHy 18* /  :cobra-small: Baffler 7w 20* /   :cobra-small: King F6 irons 5i-GW /                                     bsglogo1.jpg?w=690 J15 54* /  putt.jpg?w=690 Sierra 101-Soft /  :srixon-small: Z-star balls / all shafts regular flex / Lamkin Crossline Ace 3GEN oversize grips 

Sad to hear, I really like my hogan irons

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

It's really too bad. They made good stuff. 

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

As a fan of Hogan - both old and new - this is beyond disappointing.  It's a tough environment for any OEM who isn't one of the Fab 5 (Cally, TM, PING, Cobra, Titleist) to be heard. Once you get beyond the next tier -- Mizzy, PXG, Wilson, Bridgestone - it's almost impossible.  You become white noise in a market that requires buzz.

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

So... did Terry Koehler leave because he saw it coming, or did BHG go under because TK left??

It's my guess that TK leaving was, to be kind, mutual.

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

As a fan of Hogan - both old and new - this is beyond disappointing.  It's a tough environment for any OEM who isn't one of the Fab 5 (Cally, TM, PING, Cobra, Titleist) to be heard. Once you get beyond the next tier -- Mizzy, PXG, Wilson, Bridgestone - it's almost impossible.  You become white noise in a market that requires buzz.

I wonder if PXG cut into their business more than any of the others, being another 'premium' brand that created more buzz than they did (endorsements)

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

I wonder if PXG cut into their business more than any of the others, being another 'premium' brand that created more buzz than they did (endorsements)

They had a weird spot kind of in the middle - priced between PXG, Miura, Honma and other premium brands, and above Cally, TM, PING, Titleist, etc -- kind of a no man's land

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

The point is, PXG was a completely new brand that pitched itself against top names with a unique selling point. 

Hogan was an ageing dinosaur that offered nothing other than nostalgia. Even if millions of $$$ were pumped into the Hogan brand, it would have struggled to make a mark in todays sales.

Da fuq.  :(

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

They had a weird spot kind of in the middle - priced between PXG, Miura, Honma and other premium brands, and above Cally, TM, PING, Titleist, etc -- kind of a no man's land

...and they chose to not seel out Pros to play their clubs.....that, and being very secluded as far as access by the troops, was a negative in their business plan.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

...and they chose to not seel out Pros to play their clubs.....that, and being very secluded as far as access by the troops, was a negative in their business plan.

I tried to seek them out in 2015.  Before my trip to Las Vegas in Sept 2015, I contacted BHG in August to see if they had a fitter/seller in Vegas.  They told me that they were "in the process".  When I was in Vegas in Sept I had a few hours so checked their website (nothing listed), so I called them.  I found out that yes, they had one in Nevada...  in Reno!!!  Thanks, that was helpful.  Not!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Very sad news since I have been playing their irons for most of the last two seasons and really like the product.  From my view the biggest issue is what Kenny touched on in that there is not really a fitting network.  I was able to work with the online tool to get what fit me, but then again I am maybe a bit more educated on my specs than the average consumer.  I had a few guys at my club that had hit my irons and would have bought them in a heartbeat if they could go through a fitting for them and try different shafts and set makeups.  I think that it is a hard sell to get someone to take a flyer on a direct order for a $2k set of clubs. 

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

So confirmed from CEO  Scott White - Hogan is NOT shutting down, but instead implementing what he's calling a "reorganization initiative to minimize expenses and streamline the organization."  

"All outstanding product orders, and any new ones, will be fulfilled. We continue to receive and process orders on BenHoganGolf.com, and through our many customers."

The re-org is "an effort to be more nimble and profitable in the highly competitive golf equipment industry."

More to come, and I have a call scheduled with Scott for tomorrow.

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

So confirmed from CEO  Scott White - Hogan is NOT shutting down, but instead implementing what he's calling a "reorganization initiative to minimize expenses and streamline the organization."  

"All outstanding product orders, and any new ones, will be fulfilled. We continue to receive and process orders on BenHoganGolf.com, and through our many customers."

The re-org is "an effort to be more nimble and profitable in the highly competitive golf equipment industry."

Reading between the lines, the only way they can achieve this is by out-sourcing labour to Asia and making cheaper product lines (like Macgregor). I'd rather they fell on their sword with a bit more dignity. 

Not being cruel, but if they can't even make any revenue with selling polo shirts, I somehow doubt they'll make any money selling clubs either.

I guess the old curse of putting a major winners name on any product is usually the kiss of death.

This is a bummer. They made really good clubs. I was never a huge fan of the V sole wedges, but the Hi long irons were amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

How do you call laying off 100% of staff a "reorganization initiative to minimize expenses and streamline the organization"??  There is no organization!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

This is a bummer. They made really good clubs. I was never a huge fan of the V sole wedges, but the Hi long irons were amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

And I am a huge fan of the wedges. They work for my game better than anything I've ever used.

Oh well I guess it's back to old school pitching and chipping. :)

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Kind of torn here, I hate to see another brand bite the dust and really feel for everyone that lost their jobs.  On the flip side I'd love to be able to stock up on TK wedges at closeout prices :)

I wonder if trying to grow too fast too soon had any play.  Almost a similar story to Scratch, start with wedges and do well, expand into irons and start to struggle.  Throw in hybrids and the rumored metal woods and they strayed too far from where they started to continue.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

How do you call laying off 100% of staff a "reorganization initiative to minimize expenses and streamline the organization"??  There is no organization!!

Well, if you don't have a staff I guess you've minimized that expense...

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Just got an email from BHG. They are "reorganizing and restructuring"

Edit: ah this has been covered. Nevermind

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Archived