Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

TEXAS SPY - GOLF TOURNAMENT

PlaidJacket

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMPORTANT INFORMATION BELOW

Today I'm announcing the TEXAS SPY - GOLF TOURNAMENT will be held Saturday April 22 at the White Bluff Resort at Lake Whitney.

www.whitebluffresort.com  The outing will be played at the Old Course. (thanks EthanSterlingPrice for recommending the course)

At this time there are a few things to consider. I already know a few guys will be staying over night including me. We will probably play Friday as well. There are currently 28 of 28 hotel rooms available. The resort also offers a golf package for 1 or more nights and rounds so you may want to consider that. Regular weekend green fees are $85 inclusive.

It's been asked if members can bring a buddy along. I say yes! As long as they join MGS soon and participate in the Forums. I plan to do so. So give that some thought.

I spoke with the Head Pro at the resort about booking our event. At this time he said he is unable to make tee times farther than 7 days in advance. He can book large tournaments but our size will not qualify presently. I think there may be some leeway closer to our date. Especially since some of us will be staying at the hotel. There will be no course maintenance until May... ie, aerating greens, fairways, etc. The Pro told me April is one of their busiest times of the year and the course will be in great shape. He says they stay in great shape.

So there you have it. Make your plans and get committed. If you haven't already provided your first & last name, email. City, hcp and age please send me a private message so I can add that to my spreadsheet.

If you have any questions or suggestions please feel free to let me know.

Thanks

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

sent you a PM

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

I'm in. Looking forward to meeting my fellow MGS members. Thanks to PlaidJacket for putting this together.

WITB:

Irons:       Ping S55 4-PW

Wedges:  Scor 4161 54*, 58*

Hybrids:   Adams Idea Gold Prototype 18*, 21*

Woods:    Ping G5 3 wd 15*

Driver:      Ping G 9*

Putter:      Scotty Cameron Select Fastback

Thanks Plaid. This is sounding great. I really hope it works for me. As I told you earlier today, it will depend on confirming the dates with my sister. Hope to be able to do that by early next week.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

IMPORTANT INFORMATION BELOW

Today I'm announcing the TEXAS SPY - GOLF TOURNAMENT will be held Saturday April 22 at the White Bluff Resort at Lake Whitney.

www.whitebluffresort.com The outing will be played at the Old Course. (thanks EthanSterlingPrice for recommending the course)

At this time there are a few things to consider. I already know a few guys will be staying over night including me. We will probably play Friday as well. There are currently 28 of 28 hotel rooms available. The resort also offers a golf package for 1 or more nights and rounds so you may want to consider that. Regular weekend green fees are $85 inclusive.

It's been asked if members can bring a buddy along. I say yes! As long as they join MGS soon and participate in the Forums. I plan to do so. So give that some thought.

I spoke with the Head Pro at the resort about booking our event. At this time he said he is unable to make tee times farther than 7 days in advance. He can book large tournaments but our size will not qualify presently. I think there may be some leeway closer to our date. Especially since some of us will be staying at the hotel. There will be no course maintenance until May... ie, aerating greens, fairways, etc. The Pro told me April is one of their busiest times of the year and the course will be in great shape. He says they stay in great shape.

So there you have it. Make your plans and get committed. If you haven't already provided your first & last name, email. City, hcp and age please send me a private message so I can add that to my spreadsheet.

If you have any questions or suggestions please feel free to let me know.

Thanks

Coming down to my neck of the woods. Yall will love the course, my favorite around here. If there are any questions about the area ask away and I'll try to help out.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Everyone -  it was Ethan's recommendation for the White Bluff course. I found one guy that had played it a few years ago and he spoke highly of it.

I'm wondering Ethan if you can describe the Old course a little to us. It looks pretty challenging and perhaps tight in places. Much rolling terrain and elevation changes. Do you have any photos of the course you can share? There aren't many on the website.

Thanks

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

IMG_1396.JPGIt's a very nice course but it is challenging for sure. It starts relatively open on the front 9 but as you go in to the back 9 it gets pretty narrow with a lot of elevation change. It's not really a course you can power through as much as hit to the proper positions and putt well. Here's an old scorecard for the course that I had lying around and I'll get some more pictures in a day or two and post them. IMG_1397.JPGIMG_1398.JPGIMG_1399.JPG

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Interesting Ethan. When I spoke with the Head Pro the other day he said it's a good test but fair. Not overly long, great greens, etc.

I look forward to hearing more about it and seeing some photos when you can post them. No rush.

Thanks

If you live anywhere in Texas please take a look at the post for the TEXAS SPY - GOLF TOURNAMENT – Saturday April 22, 2017.

I suppose you can call me the Captain since I started this particular event. But it's not my tournament. It's a tournament or outing predominately for MGS members located in Texas. However, if you do not live in Texas and can make the trip by all means come. It's open to all members regardless of location.

There have been other outings through the years in Texas so this isn't the first one. However, with everyone's help and participation we can grow this Tournament into a larger/annual multi-round event with sizable participation. That will bring the many benefits we're accustomed to at golf Tournaments. Who knows… you might even become a Champion?

This year the event will be held at the beautiful White Buff Resort on Lake Whitney which is located roughly 75 miles south of Dallas - Ft. Worth, 135 miles north of Austin, 200 miles north of San Antonio, and 250 miles north of Houston.

This year txstroker (Co-Captain) has volunteered to assist and help make this thing happen. EthanSterlingPrice provided recommendation and on-the-ground players' insight to the course.

I encourage you to seriously consider playing this year. Not only will you play a great golf course and have a good time you'll also meet and get to know many of your MGS buddies. Additionally, you'll be contributing to the future of this event with your participation.

Please refer to the original post for the TEXAS SPY – GOLF TOURNAMENT to read and review what is planned and happening. Join the discussion. Your questions and comments are welcome.

My wife's sister lives in Austin and just thinking maybe we could work a family visit around this wingding.  If not this year, we will see if we can get er done at a future one. Looks like you guys are building this thing up to something as a Major MGS tournament in the future.  I can see a bright future and good luck with it!

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Thanks for your interest Gray. That'd be cool if you could. I'll put you on the list... as a distant maybe.

Yeah... I have a vision of making this thing more than just a one hit wonder. I have an uphill climb for sure. Might as well give it my best shot. txstroker and Ethan are helping as well. 

I appreciate your interest and encouragement. 

Thanks

Thanks for your interest Gray. That'd be cool if you could. I'll put you on the list... as a distant maybe.

Yeah... I have a vision of making this thing more than just a one hit wonder. I have an uphill climb for sure. Might as well give it my best shot. txstroker and Ethan are helping as well. 

I appreciate your interest and encouragement. 

Thanks

You got it partner....   Hey you guys do things big in Texas so it's gotta be large! :D 

Cleveland

You got it partner.... Hey you guys do things big in Texas so it's gotta be large! :D

Amen

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

My wife's sister lives in Austin and just thinking maybe we could work a family visit around this wingding.  If not this year, we will see if we can get er done at a future one. Looks like you guys are building this thing up to something as a Major MGS tournament in the future.  I can see a bright future and good luck with it!

OG, you gotta come if I come!  I need some laughter, and all the other guys seem way to serious.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

OG, you gotta come if I come! I need some laughter, and all the other guys seem way to serious.

Lol I just found out that I'm a space alien today ....

I actually mentioned this trip to my wife today to get her opinion. She said Texas is out this year. She rather see her son in Louisiana than her sister in Texas.

Cleveland

OG, you gotta come if I come!  I need some laughter, and all the other guys seem way to serious.  

wait till you play with me.....   I like to have fun playing.......   :)

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

interesting track.  not too long but got some bite.  Kinda like Brackenridge down here.  Ya'll got me thinking about Horseshoe Bay,  headed up there this weekend to play..... 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

interesting track. not too long but got some bite. Kinda like Brackenridge down here. Ya'll got me thinking about Horseshoe Bay, headed up there this weekend to play.....

One of the biggest things for me when I play it is to put the ball on the correct portion of the greens. Plenty of break and some tiered (I think that's how you spell it) greens make it easy to 3 putt, a lot of it could have to do with my stroke though . I'll get a few more pictures this week when I go out there and post them for y'all.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Hope everyone can make it, we're gonna have a great time!

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Don't forget if you didn't already know....

If you'd like to bring a buddy or two you can. All you have to do is get them to join MGS and start participating in the Forum.

If you do get some guys to join send me a private message with their details and I'll add them to our sign-up sheet.

Thanks guys!

Don't forget that you can bring a buddy or two if you get them to join MGS and start participating in the Forum.

Send me their details and I'll add them to the roster.

Thanks

Why do they need to join prior to playing? Wouldn't having them come either way benefit mgs? They could see how great the members are and then join on their own. Or if they chose not to join they would at least meet some new friends to play golf with.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

We should merge the two threads so information doesn't get lost or diluted.

That makes a sense

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Why do they need to join prior to playing? Wouldn't having them come either way benefit mgs? They could see how great the members are and then join on their own. Or if they chose not to join they would at least meet some new friends to play golf with.

My wife has not decided if she will come on the trip yet, but she gave me a pass to come even though this is our anniversary.  However, if she does come, she will not sit around while I play.  She would like to play but will not join because she is attached to too many other social media to add one more.  I give her all the highlights of MGS forum shenanigans anyway, and that seems to be sufficient for her.  Hope we make it!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Kenny you and me will be playing the Senior division anyway. And...on Friday for practice too. She can play Friday with us for sure. Today, I'd say bring her if you want. Even on Saturday perhaps she could play if for no other reason than to round out a 4-some or something. It'd be fun. Unless she beats all the Seniors and we have to declare her the Champion. LOL

(I'm declaring this the Special Kenny B rule.)

Theoo... that's a good point. My thinking was to get new members and start getting them involved. Your suggestion is well taken. Perhaps I'll amend the entry requirements. The one problem I see is that by allowing a non-member to compete.... a non-member might win. Is that fair to the members?

Thanks

Kenny you and me will be playing the Senior division anyway. And...on Friday for practice too. She can play Friday with us for sure. Today, I'd say bring her if you want. Even on Saturday perhaps she could play if for no other reason than to round out a 4-some or something. It'd be fun. Unless she beats all the Seniors and we have to declare her the Champion. LOL

(I'm declaring this the Special Kenny B rule.)

She won't be coming unless she can play on Saturday.  Makes no sense to travel that far and not play.  BTW, she would also be in the senior division playing from the forward tees; her index at the end of this last season is 15.9

Declared Players as of 1-10-2017

As of this morning here is the list of players that defiantly will be participating in this years event:

Plaidjacket

numberonecoog

Kenny B

Texas2cap

EthanSterlingPrice

Hula Rock

txstroker

TXSTCANAN

WadeDgolfer

xstiffshafts

txgolfjunkie

Here are guys that have indicated an interest but not officially declared:

Justin H

crw

Torikhan

Carolina Golfer 2

Birdiehunter17

Rover Rick

If you guys know of other potential players let's get them onboard.

Archived