186 replies to this topic

#1 Bags

Bags

JR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 09:32 PM

Callaway Epic driver whats the retail price? Will the drive wars ever stop? cor at max limit happened prob 7/8 yrs ago. If you look at numbers comparing GBB GBB alpha etc basically the same numbers spin distance etc. why spend $500 plus for the epic driver when you now can purchase GBB for $200-$300

#2 ole gray

ole gray

AGENT NAME: PLANO

• Members

• 2,894 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 04 January 2017 - 09:41 PM

Callaway Epic driver whats the retail price? Will the drive wars ever stop? cor at max limit happened prob 7/8 yrs ago. If you look at numbers comparing GBB GBB alpha etc basically the same numbers spin distance etc. why spend $500 plus for the epic driver when you now can purchase GBB for $200-$300

Some folks don't care about the price as the projected rewards suck them in like possum on a loaded down persimmon tree.  The problem being sometimes the fruit is not sweet but bitter and you learn the hard way.

:cobra-small: F6 Driver W/ Matrix 60 Red Tie V4 ®

:mizuno-small: JPX-EZ 2H Hybrid 16°
:callaway-small: Razr X  3 & 4 Hybrids

:callaway-small: Razr XF 5 - SW Irons   
  :cleveland-small:  Smart Sole Wedge
Odyssey  Works #7 Versa Putter

Tester for the Matrix MFS5 White Tie Shaft

18424079_1906642062884948_25607790204433

#3 Bags

Bags

JR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 10:10 PM

Some folks don't care about the price as the projected rewards suck them in like possum on a loaded down persimmon tree. The problem being sometimes the fruit is not sweet but bitter and you learn the hard way.

must be an ego thing or to have lots of disposable income to purchase a new driver ever year - if numbers are way better sure makes sense if number aren't better not so much

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

#4 ole gray

ole gray

• Members

• 2,894 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 04 January 2017 - 10:13 PM

POPULAR

Club Ho's can't help them selves as theyare severely addicted to new shiny toys.   Gawd help them poor souls.   ;)

#5 BIG STU

BIG STU

AGENT NAME: HUNTINGTON

• Members
  • 3,130 posts
  • LocationGarden City Beach SC
  • Handicap:5

Posted 04 January 2017 - 10:52 PM

POPULAR

Club Ho's can help them selves are severely addicted to new shiny toys.   Gawd help them poor souls.   ;)

I need to rephrase if I may. Rich club ho's that can afford to do that. Us Po Ho's go to the Salvation Army or Goodwill. Some folks just have to have the latest and greatest which is ok by me it's their money and besides it makes the last generation clubs cheaper for us PO Ho's

:D

Driver Titleist 915 D-2 Mitsubishi Diamana 65 R
3 Wood Adams Super S--- Stock Bassara Regular Shaft

Hybrid-- Old TM Rescue 22* stock TM factory Stiff Shaft

Driving Iron Callaway UTX 24* bent to 22* PXI 6.0

Irons 4 thru PW Callaway 2013 Forged X 5.5 PXI

GW-- Old 252 series Vokey Forged 54 bent to 52 S-300 wedge

SW - Wilson Staff JP Custom Grind S-300 Wedge ( A real Joe Phillips design old school 1980)

Putter Scotty Cameron Santa Fe nicknamed "Rusty" because it is

Bag: Old school Titleist mini staff or old school 2009 Titleist stand
5 wood will rotate out with a 1999 Hogan forged Apex 2 iron-- Yep a real old school school Hogan

Redneck Hippie Golf Where When The Tailgate Drops The BS Stops !

I know my wedges are not conforming but I do not give a hoot because I am retired from competition and could give two hoots less about the USGA or the R&A besides they are wore out and rusty but will still stop a ball!

Founding Father Outlaw Golf Association member #1

#6 ole gray

ole gray

• Members

• 2,894 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 04 January 2017 - 11:15 PM

I need to rephrase if I may. Rich club ho's that can afford to do that. Us Po Ho's go to the Salvation Army or Goodwill. Some folks just have to have the latest and greatest which is ok by me it's their money and besides it makes the last generation clubs cheaper for us PO Ho's

:D

Preach it bro!  Heck a few years back we biotched about drivers costing $300.00 and now some of them those suckers are up to $500.00 . They must be making them out of gold dust or something. Technology can only take a driver so far and the companies are still advertising more distance and accuracy.  I think some of the big club makers are drinking stump liquor.

#7 jlukes

jlukes

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members

• 1,203 posts
  • LocationNJ
  • Handicap:4

Posted 04 January 2017 - 11:23 PM

If you haven't bought a driver in the last 4 years and want something from this year's lineup, the Epic should be at the top of the list.

In my Sun Mountain 2017 3.5LS

:taylormade-small: 2017 M2 10.5* - HZRDUS Yellow 65 6.0
:taylormade-small: 2017 M2 3HL 16.5* - HZRDUS Black 75 6.0
:taylormade-small: 2017 M1 19* Hybrid - Kuro Kage 80HY S
:srixon-small:  z745 4-PW - KBS Tour 120S
:titelist-small:  Vokey SM6 50.12F, 54.14F & 60.08M
EVNROLL ER2
:taylormade-small: TP5x

#8 PlaidJacket

PlaidJacket

• Members

• 2,934 posts
  • LocationW. Texas
  • Handicap:62

Posted 05 January 2017 - 12:06 AM

POPULAR

I'll never buy another new driver when one comes out. If you want a "new" driver buy last years model at 1/2 price. Weren't they the Best Ever know to man at the time? Or...find one in the trade-in bin at your local shop. You know the ones;.. that have been hit a few times and again... 1/2 price. What's the difference between the latest and greatest this year and last years latest and greatest? Except maybe a new paint scheme or some new materials or weighting things. These guys are in the USGA box and they can't get out.

My  :wilson_staff_small:  bag currently includes:    TWGT 771CSI 4i - PW and TWGT PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

TM SLDR 14° D, TWGT 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

Edel Willimette w/SuperStroke Slim

#9 Bags

Bags

JR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 01:33 AM

I feel say 3 years from now correction in golf industry. When consumers stop buying new drivers and sale s % start leveling or going down the big 3 callaway taylormade titliest will start laying people off. layed off sucks been there my point is if new drivers dont hit projected sales a correction is bound to happen

#10 Orange Hog

Orange Hog

JR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members

• 227 posts
  • LocationArkansas
  • Handicap:12

Posted 05 January 2017 - 01:43 AM

POPULAR

For those who buy a new driver every year you are effectively burning cash.  Titleist, Taylormade, and today Callaway, all of them have the same thing in common: their "new" drivers didn't perform any better than their predecessors.  This cycle has become a joke and "new" drivers are really nothing more than OEMs way of maintaining a share of voice with consumers.  If you're in the market for a new driver to replace something you've gamed for 3+ years then I'd suggest you save the money and go buy the 2016 model of whatever for half the price or less.

#11 GolfSpy Meyer

GolfSpy Meyer

AGENT NAME: FT.WORTH

• MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)

• 4,171 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN
  • Handicap:2.9

Posted 05 January 2017 - 02:03 AM

For those who buy a new driver every year you are effectively burning cash.  Titleist, Taylormade, and today Callaway, all of them have the same thing in common: their "new" drivers didn't perform any better than their predecessors.  This cycle has become a joke and "new" drivers are really nothing more than OEMs way of maintaining a share of voice with consumers.  If you're in the market for a new driver to replace something you've gamed for 3+ years then I'd suggest you save the money and go buy the 2016 model of whatever for half the price or less.

Based on your signature I'm guessing this a case of "do as I say, not as I do"? :)

Driver: :taylormade-small:  SLDR 430 10.5° set to 11° Diamana D+ 62 stiff
Hybrid: Adams Super LS 15°, 17°, 22°, 25° all Kuro Kage Black 80 HY stiff
Irons: :taylormade-small: Speedblades 6-9 KBS C-Taper S+
Wedges: Scor 45°, 50°, 54° & 58° C-Taper S+
Putter: Evnroll ER5

#12 Orange Hog

Orange Hog

JR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members

• 227 posts
  • LocationArkansas
  • Handicap:12

Posted 05 January 2017 - 05:30 AM

Based on your signature I'm guessing this a case of "do as I say, not as I do"? :)

Why? Do you know what I had in my bag before my current set up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 SuperDave

SuperDave

SR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationIndependence, KY
  • Handicap:20

Posted 05 January 2017 - 07:23 AM

Ok, so all these big name companies are keeping their clubs specs at or under the USGA rules. Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the majority of golfers today mostly people who don't necessarily care at least about equipment rules. How come none of the big 3 come out with some clubs that don't fit the rules. Some people can't play them, but I can.

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

#14 Kkaw1988

Kkaw1988

SR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Handicap:20

Posted 05 January 2017 - 12:37 PM

I think the issue isn't with those of us who only buy a new driver when ours are 4 years old. For me I shop bargain bins and buy a lot of used clubs when places like GlobalGolf.com have big sales or if I skim through goodwill. So really this only has an impact on the shiny shoppers who just want a shiny new toy. Yes drivers are maxed out, but that doesn't matter if 1. You haven't been fitted/can't self fit 2. Have money to spend chasing the perfect driver.

#15 ole gray

ole gray

• Members

• 2,894 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 05 January 2017 - 01:59 PM

2017 might be the year I let my Ping G25 retire but only if I find something substantially better.  The Epic will be considered as will be the TaylorMade M2.  There is a TM fitting (The Kingdom) which is not far from my home. I've never had a professional driver fitting and no doubt it would help my game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors

Our Sponsors