TESTERS WANTED! ×

Epic Driver

Bags

Callaway Epic driver whats the retail price? Will the drive wars ever stop? cor at max limit happened prob 7/8 yrs ago. If you look at numbers comparing GBB GBB alpha etc basically the same numbers spin distance etc. why spend $500 plus for the epic driver when you now can purchase GBB for $200-$300

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Callaway Epic driver whats the retail price? Will the drive wars ever stop? cor at max limit happened prob 7/8 yrs ago. If you look at numbers comparing GBB GBB alpha etc basically the same numbers spin distance etc. why spend $500 plus for the epic driver when you now can purchase GBB for $200-$300

Some folks don't care about the price as the projected rewards suck them in like possum on a loaded down persimmon tree.  The problem being sometimes the fruit is not sweet but bitter and you learn the hard way.

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Some folks don't care about the price as the projected rewards suck them in like possum on a loaded down persimmon tree. The problem being sometimes the fruit is not sweet but bitter and you learn the hard way.

must be an ego thing or to have lots of disposable income to purchase a new driver ever year - if numbers are way better sure makes sense if number aren't better not so much

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Club Ho's can't help them selves as theyare severely addicted to new shiny toys.   Gawd help them poor souls.   ;)

Cleveland

Club Ho's can help them selves are severely addicted to new shiny toys.   Gawd help them poor souls.   ;)

I need to rephrase if I may. Rich club ho's that can afford to do that. Us Po Ho's go to the Salvation Army or Goodwill. Some folks just have to have the latest and greatest which is ok by me it's their money and besides it makes the last generation clubs cheaper for us PO Ho's

:D

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I need to rephrase if I may. Rich club ho's that can afford to do that. Us Po Ho's go to the Salvation Army or Goodwill. Some folks just have to have the latest and greatest which is ok by me it's their money and besides it makes the last generation clubs cheaper for us PO Ho's

:D

Preach it bro!  Heck a few years back we biotched about drivers costing $300.00 and now some of them those suckers are up to $500.00 . They must be making them out of gold dust or something. Technology can only take a driver so far and the companies are still advertising more distance and accuracy.  I think some of the big club makers are drinking stump liquor.

Cleveland

I'll never buy another new driver when one comes out. If you want a "new" driver buy last years model at 1/2 price. Weren't they the Best Ever know to man at the time? Or...find one in the trade-in bin at your local shop. You know the ones;.. that have been hit a few times and again... 1/2 price. What's the difference between the latest and greatest this year and last years latest and greatest? Except maybe a new paint scheme or some new materials or weighting things. These guys are in the USGA box and they can't get out.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I feel say 3 years from now correction in golf industry. When consumers stop buying new drivers and sale s % start leveling or going down the big 3 callaway taylormade titliest will start laying people off. layed off sucks been there my point is if new drivers dont hit projected sales a correction is bound to happen

For those who buy a new driver every year you are effectively burning cash.  Titleist, Taylormade, and today Callaway, all of them have the same thing in common: their "new" drivers didn't perform any better than their predecessors.  This cycle has become a joke and "new" drivers are really nothing more than OEMs way of maintaining a share of voice with consumers.  If you're in the market for a new driver to replace something you've gamed for 3+ years then I'd suggest you save the money and go buy the 2016 model of whatever for half the price or less.

For those who buy a new driver every year you are effectively burning cash.  Titleist, Taylormade, and today Callaway, all of them have the same thing in common: their "new" drivers didn't perform any better than their predecessors.  This cycle has become a joke and "new" drivers are really nothing more than OEMs way of maintaining a share of voice with consumers.  If you're in the market for a new driver to replace something you've gamed for 3+ years then I'd suggest you save the money and go buy the 2016 model of whatever for half the price or less.

Based on your signature I'm guessing this a case of "do as I say, not as I do"? :)

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Ok, so all these big name companies are keeping their clubs specs at or under the USGA rules. Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the majority of golfers today mostly people who don't necessarily care at least about equipment rules. How come none of the big 3 come out with some clubs that don't fit the rules. Some people can't play them, but I can.

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I think the issue isn't with those of us who only buy a new driver when ours are 4 years old. For me I shop bargain bins and buy a lot of used clubs when places like GlobalGolf.com have big sales or if I skim through goodwill. So really this only has an impact on the shiny shoppers who just want a shiny new toy. Yes drivers are maxed out, but that doesn't matter if 1. You haven't been fitted/can't self fit 2. Have money to spend chasing the perfect driver.

2017 might be the year I let my Ping G25 retire but only if I find something substantially better.  The Epic will be considered as will be the TaylorMade M2.  There is a TM fitting (The Kingdom) which is not far from my home. I've never had a professional driver fitting and no doubt it would help my game.

Cleveland

Why? Do you know what I had in my bag before my current set up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope, no idea.  Just saw a lot of current model clubs in your signature.

I'll play a little devils advocate here.  100% yes there are very few gains to be had from getting a new driver every year.  Most likely the gains would be very small if there at all.  Especially if you are coming from a well fit driver.  

That said ... Hi, my name is Brian and I'm a club ho.  I like to hit new shiny things.  I'm not dis-illusioned into thinking something new is going to make me hit nothing but 300yd drives down the middle, but I get enjoyment out of trying new things.  Am I going to pay retail prices for a new driver every year?  Hell no!  But there are lots of ways to cut the cost down on a current model driver.  Buy used, buy new and sell the shaft, wait until the price drop, trade in or sell old stuff to fund the new purchase.  

For a lot of us it's the journey that's the fun part, not the destination.  And every once in a while when that journey leads to finding a sandy beach with free beer served by topless supermodels we decide to stay for a while instead of moving on.  AKA I'm still playing a SLDR driver, but those new clubs over there sure are shiny...

Some folks don't care about the price as the projected rewards suck them in like possum on a loaded down persimmon tree. The problem being sometimes the fruit is not sweet but bitter and you learn the hard way.

Wait, possums like persimmons? Learn something new every day. :)

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

I'll play a little devils advocate here. 100% yes there are very few gains to be had from getting a new driver every year. Most likely the gains would be very small if there at all. Especially if you are coming from a well fit driver.

That said ... Hi, my name is Brian and I'm a club ho. I like to hit new shiny things. I'm not dis-illusioned into thinking something new is going to make me hit nothing but 300yd drives down the middle, but I get enjoyment out of trying new things. Am I going to pay retail prices for a new driver every year? Hell no! But there are lots of ways to cut the cost down on a current model driver. Buy used, buy new and sell the shaft, wait until the price drop, trade in or sell old stuff to fund the new purchase.

For a lot of us it's the journey that's the fun part, not the destination. And every once in a while when that journey leads to finding a sandy beach with free beer served by topless supermodels we decide to stay for a while instead of moving on. AKA I'm still playing a SLDR driver, but those new clubs over there sure are shiny...

I am one of those guys that sells what he has when switching, and I usually have access to places like our work "bonus site", or friends who have shops where I can either buy for free, or at cost, so my out-of-pocket is minimal. I see all the time on forums guys jumping other guy's cases about "didn't u just buy a driver/putter/irons", and I've even had friends hit me with it on here and other places. Honestly, if I like change, so be it. If another guy does or doesn't, what does it matter to me? Why does it matter to them I buy a driver? If I get one driver free, like the M1 I have, I look at it as potentially $300 toward something else if it doesn't work or isn't as good as what I have. I do think it's funny that some who comment at others about buying new clubs have 30+ putters in their "collection". I don't say a word- that's their prerogative and what they like to do.

I just will never understand why people get bent out of shape when someone buys a new club. Who cares?!?!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

We all chase the dream of hitting 300 yard drives down the middle of the fairway and that is part of the allure of new drivers. The Epic plays on this. With faster ball speeds off the face. And more energy transfered to the ball via their "jailbreak" tech. This structure stiffens the body significantly and allows for greater face loading, greater deflection in the face". Will it give everyone extra distance and better control? No, as we all have different swings. But sometimes chasing the dream is all that matters. :)

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Thank you! ;)

I get tired of all the "you bought another club?" Line of crap too.

Worse yet for me is "you spent how much on a putter?" Everyone drives the same speed limit, but the Ferrari sure looks better doing it!

At least I haven't noticed anyone trying to work a handicap number into the equation on this thread yet - people trying to guide purchases with arbitrary numbers really get me going. Buy what gives you confidence, and don't hide behind fake numbers.

If you shoot 72, and I shoot 78 (but have a 10 handicap), I didn't win - you got me by 6.

Yes they are but that's because I flipped over gear that was 2+ years old.  But I guess that makes me a "do as I say not as I do" kind of guy, though, right?

It was just a joke based on an observation of the clubs in your signature.  I didn't mean to offend you and I apologize if you took it that way.

If you haven't bought a driver in the last 4 years and want something from this year's lineup, the Epic should be at the top of the list.

How can you say this, you're an ungrateful Callaway turncoat traitor   ;)

2017 might be the year I let my Ping G25 retire but only if I find something substantially better.  The Epic will be considered as will be the TaylorMade M2.  There is a TM fitting (The Kingdom) which is not far from my home. I've never had a professional driver fitting and no doubt it would help my game.

I've been to the Kingdom in CA, and one of the lead guys there moved to head up the GA one.  I would say if you can afford it and are in the market, it will definitely be worth it.  The fitting I just had for my Titleist 917, put me in something I never would have guessed on my own, and I'm seeing the results.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

How can you say this, you're an ungrateful Callaway turncoat traitor ;)

I've been to the Kingdom in CA, and one of the lead guys there moved to head up the GA one. I would say if you can afford it and are in the market, it will definitely be worth it. The fitting I just had for my Titleist 917, put me in something I never would have guessed on my own, and I'm seeing the results.

Yep I'm leaning heavy towards the Kingdom TaylorMade driver fitting. Just makes sense

Cleveland

Yep I'm leaning heavy towards the Kingdom TaylorMade driver fitting. Just makes sense

Tim was the one that did my R1 fitting.  And I'm sure he went home and had nightmares that night about my swing.  It was one of those days where the swing just never felt right.  I couldn't even hit a 7 iron consistent.  But he never rushed me or made me feel like he was just giving me anything to get me off the monitor and out of his way...LOL   Very friendly guy who knows his sheeeet!!

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Tim was the one that did my R1 fitting. And I'm sure he went home and had nightmares that night about my swing. It was one of those days where the swing just never felt right. I couldn't even hit a 7 iron consistent. But he never rushed me or made me feel like he was just giving me anything to get me off the monitor and out of his way...LOL Very friendly guy who knows his sheeeet!!

I'll definitely ask for Tim . Thanks for the info partner

Cleveland

I am one of those guys that sells what he has when switching, and I usually have access to places like our work "bonus site", or friends who have shops where I can either buy for free, or at cost, so my out-of-pocket is minimal. I see all the time on forums guys jumping other guy's cases about "didn't u just buy a driver/putter/irons", and I've even had friends hit me with it on here and other places. Honestly, if I like change, so be it. If another guy does or doesn't, what does it matter to me? Why does it matter to them I buy a driver? If I get one driver free, like the M1 I have, I look at it as potentially $300 toward something else if it doesn't work or isn't as good as what I have. I do think it's funny that some who comment at others about buying new clubs have 30+ putters in their "collection". I don't say a word- that's their prerogative and what they like to do.

I just will never understand why people get bent out of shape when someone buys a new club. Who cares?!?!

If you get a deal great. Im talking about the big manufacturers forcing product to market eventually sales on all these new drivers yr after yr will drop - something has to give

If you get a deal great. Im talking about the big manufacturers forcing product to market eventually sales on all these new drivers yr after yr will drop - something has to give

Does it though? So long as manufacturers are properly controlling their inventory how is it really any different than any other consumer goods industry?

Archived