Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Epic Driver

Bags

I'll never buy another new driver when one comes out. If you want a "new" driver buy last years model at 1/2 price. Weren't they the Best Ever know to man at the time? Or...find one in the trade-in bin at your local shop. You know the ones;.. that have been hit a few times and again... 1/2 price. What's the difference between the latest and greatest this year and last years latest and greatest? Except maybe a new paint scheme or some new materials or weighting things. These guys are in the USGA box and they can't get out.

Still trying to find a M2 driver for under 300, will have to wait another year

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really?  Globalgolf has very good for $285.  Plus they run promo's all the time for anywhere from 10-20% off.  That's just with a quick 1 minute search.  If you look around you should have no problem finding something for sub $300

edit: I'm assuming 2016 model

edit #2:  Taylormade preowned site 10.5 degree very good condition for $243, Mint for $288

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Newer equipment is why golf sites/forums get traffic.

The golf sites that focus on non equipment are always on the threshold of dying.

MGS should be thankful for equipment releases. If all golf companies were on a 2 year cycle what would drive site traffic during the lulls?

The golf sites that focus on non equipment are always on the threshold of dying.

MGS should be thankful for equipment releases. If all golf companies were on a 2 year cycle what would drive site traffic during the lulls?

Blasphemy! We don't have lulls here! "What choo talkin' 'bout, Willis?!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/17657-dawgdaddys-unofficial-deal-of-the-day/?p=245513

Driver -  :callaway-small:   Rogue ST Max
Woods - :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max  3, 5 & 7 Woods
Irons  -   :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max                                                                                                                                                                                       

Wedges - :cleveland-small:  Zipcore RTX 6 50°  CBX2   54* & 58*                                                                                                                                               

Putter -  Evnroll   ER2
Rangefinder - :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX-10 Slope
Ball -  :vice: Pro Tour Drip                                                                                                                                                                                           

Bag -  :tour-edge: Xtreme Cart 7.0 Bag Heather/Red/White

if you name your new driver "Epic" it dang well better be... and from the reviews I've seen/read so far, it's not...

Curious though - with the plethora of 'adjustable' drivers that have been released in the last few years when will we start seeing drivers sold in parts?

That is - you can buy just the head and use your current shaft?

You can have maybe 2-3 shafts you like; maybe a 42 in for courses with tight fairways and a 44 for longer courses with wider ones and then a few different heads to choose from.

I think that'd be cool, but I'm sure the manufacturers wouldn't go for it.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

if you name your new driver "Epic" it dang well better be... and from the reviews I've seen/read so far, it's not...

Curious though - with the plethora of 'adjustable' drivers that have been released in the last few years when will we start seeing drivers sold in parts?

You can have maybe 2-3 shafts you like; maybe a 42 in for courses with tight fairways and a 44 for longer courses with wider ones and then a few different heads to choose from.

This would be soooooo cool! It seriously makes good sense for the consumers 🏌️

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I agree that would be a great way to buy for the consumer.  The problem is that there wouldn't be nearly the cost savings that you think there would be.  Take a look at this MGS blog post and you see the grip and shaft is going to cost the OEM in the $9-$13 range.  So now your $500 driver is going to cost you maybe $450-$475.  I'm guessing a lot of guys would still just buy the whole club.  Plus without the cost reduction due to mass buying from the OEM that shaft that cost them $8-$12 is now going to cost you $200.  So overall that model is going to be more expensive in the long run.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I agree that would be a great way to buy for the consumer.  The problem is that there wouldn't be nearly the cost savings that you think there would be.  Take a look at this MGS blog post and you see the grip and shaft is going to cost the OEM in the $9-$13 range.  So now your $500 driver is going to cost you maybe $450-$475.  I'm guessing a lot of guys would still just buy the whole club.  Plus without the cost reduction due to mass buying from the OEM that shaft that cost them $8-$12 is now going to cost you $200.  So overall that model is going to be more expensive in the long run.

Yeah... it would take a paradigm shift in the industry in order to work but it certainly would be enticing.  Maybe on-line only/volume can save costs?

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

I am not an expert at matching shafts and clubs heads but I would have to wonder if a shaft that plays well in head 1 would perform equally well in head 2.

But as long as the head allows interchangeable shafts you can always get multiple shafts at different lengths.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I was at Dick's today trying out a few drivers.   I spent a good hour hitting different drivers with different shafts. A good friend of mine works there and we spent some quality time on the monitor.  What surprised the heck out of me was the distance I was getting from a 9 degree Callaway Fusion driver with a stiff shaft.  I'm normally a high lofted type of guy however the numbers from the 9 degree were fricking slick as Georgia mud. The shaft that worked best was a diamana mitsubishi stiff shaft. :blink: I'm an old dude who games a regular shaft!

Soooooo if the Epic provides better numbers than the Fusion (which I'm doubting) I will have to find a way to procure one of them puppies.

P.S. I hit the TaylorMade M2 10.5 with different shafts and got OK numbers however the consistency was not as good.  I need more time with this one...

I will be doing a heap more testing before I can send my old Ping G25 to pasture.  

Cleveland

I was at Dick's today trying out a few drivers.   I spent a good hour hitting different drivers with different shafts. A good friend of mine works there and we spent some quality time on the monitor.  What surprised the heck out of me was the distance I was getting from a 9 degree Callaway Fusion driver with a stiff shaft.  I'm normally a high lofted type of guy however the numbers from the 9 degree were fricking slick as Georgia mud. The shaft that worked best was a diamana mitsubishi stiff shaft. :blink: I'm an old dude who games a regular shaft!

Soooooo if the Epic provides better numbers than the Fusion (which I'm doubting) I will have to find a way to procure one of them puppies.

P.S. I hit the TaylorMade M2 10.5 with different shafts and got OK numbers however the consistency was not as good.  I need more time with this one...

I will be doing a heap more testing before I can send my old Ping G25 to pasture.

OG. Your LM results show exactly what came out of my fitting for the Titleist 917 D3

I went in hitting a XR16 10.5 in Fegular flex. I came out with a D3 (lower spin head) in 9.5 wirh a Diamana Red 50g Stiff shaft.

This combo reduced my spin from over 4,000 to 2400-2600 rsnge and increased my carry by 17 yards.

I had not really been a stiff shaft player for at least 5 years or so. Z

Just shows what a good fitting will do, and how much of a killer spin can be for some. I know some "experts" say the average player over thinks spin. This was definitley not the case in my fitting.

I'm betting the EPIC SubZero might surprise you if you get a chance to hit it. Probably something I previously would never have thought for someone in our swing profile.

But I'm starting to see and hear of so many examples like yours and mine, there must be something to it.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

OG. Your LM results show exactly what came out of my fitting for the Titleist 917 D3

I went in hitting a XR16 10.5 in Fegular flex. I came out with a D3 (lower spin head) in 9.5 wirh a Diamana Red 50g Stiff shaft.

This combo reduced my spin from over 4,000 to 2400-2600 rsnge and increased my carry by 17 yards.

Just shows what a good fitting will do, and how much of a killer spin can be for some. I know some "experts" say the average player over thinks spin. This was definitley not the case in my fitting.

I'm betting the EPIC SubZero might surprise you if you get a chance to hit it. Probably something I previously would never have thought for someone in our swing profile.

But I'm starting to see and hear of so many examples like yours and mine, there must be something to it.

Yea it was an eye opener for me and I'm looking forward to playing this setup on the course to see how it works in the real world. My buddy is going to bring a couple of demos out with a few shafts for me to try.  I'm still having a hard time believing what I was seeing with the lower loft. Especially with my swing speed being in the upper eighties to low nineties range.  It was a surprise but a good one.  Kind of like finding a piece of sweet potato pie with cool whip on it! :D 

Cleveland

CG2, I went to the callaway performance center at golfdom today and the epic line is really intriguing. I got significantly better numbers today off both Epic heads than the 917D3. By intriguing, my ball speed was up average 5-7 mph depending on head, and carry and total distance was a lot longer, 10 yards carry, up to 20+ with roll out on trackman. I'm going back tomorrow to see if it holds up, but man, the Epic is sweet. I'm 95% sure I'm going to make the switch, just don't know if I want the standard or sub zero.

I will give this and the Fusion a try since I was really impressed with the XR16, GBB and 816, but I don't like the way the Epic looks.  Looks will never deter me from buying if it performs, but just don't like it.  It seems results vary with this driver as well.

WIT  :titelist-small: Sta Dry Bag:

Driver:       :taylormade-small: '17 M2

Woods:     :taylormade-small: M2 3W and 5W

Hybrids:   :callaway-logo-1: Apex 3h and 5h  

Irons:          :mizuno-small:   MP 18 MMC

Wedges:   :callaway-logo-1: MD PM Grind, 56* and 60*

Putter:      :scotty-cameron-1: California Sonoma

I am going on the 3rd year with my Cobra Fly Z +

Was hitting it last year better then the year before, has been a great driver for me.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

Yea it was an eye opener for me and I'm looking forward to playing this setup on the course to see how it works in the real world. My buddy is going to bring a couple of demos out with a few shafts for me to try. I'm still having a hard time believing what I was seeing with the lower loft. Especially with my swing speed being in the upper eighties to low nineties range. It was a surprise but a good one. Kind of like finding a piece of sweet potato pie with cool whip on it! :D

A heads-up about GC2 LMs that don't have the "camera" add-on like at our Dick's and what reps bring to demo days...

I called Foresight sports and asked them what data would be "real" on one of their monitors that didn't have the "camera". They said only the ball data. Launch, spin, etc. Swing speed, carry, total, and offline are all calculated off the ball data and use an algorithm based on the pre-entered smash factor.

If one wants to double-check and just make sure, contact the "technical support" department number on their website. The reps are a great help.

It's likely the on-course testing will reveal the truth.

Came close to pulling the trigger on the XR. Now the Epic has me thinking again.

Must fight the urge and resist the promises it will bring to my game.

But it is very nice looking. I'm green with envy I tell ya

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

One note on TrackMan: they have consistent issues with shots registering "double-spin"... If you're getting fitted and are going to use your "averages", make sure to delete those outlier shots that show almost double spin. The David Toms Academy and my teacher both shared this with me about their TrackMan. It's even in the new TrackMan 4.

Last time at David Toms there was a second coach there with the complete GC2 set-up, "camera", clubs having the white dots on them, etc. We ran them side-by-side and it was very evident when the spin issue showed on the TrackMan numbers.

CG2, I went to the callaway performance center at golfdom today and the epic line is really intriguing. I got significantly better numbers today off both Epic heads than the 917D3. By intriguing, my ball speed was up average 5-7 mph depending on head, and carry and total distance was a lot longer, 10 yards carry, up to 20+ with roll out on trackman. I'm going back tomorrow to see if it holds up, but man, the Epic is sweet. I'm 95% sure I'm going to make the switch, just don't know if I want the standard or sub zero.

Cool. This is one tough driver for me to see where I stand on it.

I had promised myself I found the best driver for me in the 917 and I don't need to try anything new in 2017. I have seen in other place where every single person has seen great improvement with the EPIC. Most in distance and ball speed and just about everyone in accuracy.

I remember the blog post here a few weeks ago about have we fallen for they hype machine all manufactures are putting out year after year. I was starting to see the light in that

But more and more I feel like I'm losing the resistance to at least demo this and see what I get or don't get out of it.

So I'm sure il be giving it a try at the PGA Show.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

A heads-up about GC2 LMs that don't have the "camera" add-on like at our Dick's and what reps bring to demo days...

I called Foresight sports and asked them what data would be "real" on one of their monitors that didn't have the "camera". They said only the ball data. Launch, spin, etc. Swing speed, carry, total, and offline are all calculated off the ball data and use an algorithm based on the pre-entered smash factor.

If one wants to double-check and just make sure, contact the "technical support" department number on their website. The reps are a great help.

It's likely the on-course testing will reveal the truth.

Good info to know . Thanks Mook and I agree, there's nothing better than on course time.

Cleveland

Cool. This is one tough driver for me to see where I stand on it.

I had promised myself I found the best driver for me in the 917 and I don't need to try anything new in 2017. I have seen in other place where every single person has seen great improvement with the EPIC. Most in distance and ball speed and just about everyone in accuracy.

I remember the blog post here a few weeks ago about have we fallen for they hype machine all manufactures are putting out year after year. I was starting to see the light in that

But more and more I feel like I'm losing the resistance to at least demo this and see what I get or don't get out of it.

So I'm sure il be giving it a try at the PGA Show.

im with you, I really like the 917D3, but it was such a difference that it's hard to pass up

what would drive it the hot chics on the lpga tour lol

Last 20 years drivers

bang- took everyone by surprise

Ping i20- flat black and very reliable

Jet speed- long, long, and did I mention long?

816 DBD - long and easy to control. Never gets me in trouble.

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

I bought a ping g20 a few years ago and honestly nothing has beat it for me. I can't ask for anything else. I don't think I will purchase another driver for at least 5 years or until usga changes rules to allow more technology or something different

Sent from my SM-G920P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Bryan Pool

Ping G20 Driver

Bombtech hybrids

Ping G20 green dot irons/wedges

Cleveland Huntington beach 6 putter 

Got my hands on the Epic 2 weeks ago. Ill be ordering one as soon as we can figure out a shaft for me. Ball speed numbers were 2mph faster vs my 917. Spin number werent what we wanted but thats were the shaft fitting comes into play. 

Some Driver and 3w data 

Epic Driver and 3 wood t800 s.jpg

Driver: 917D3 with Whiteboard 70x & Epic SZ (shaft testing)---Need help
Fairway Wood: 917F3 with 80X Whiteboard, Testing Epic SZ 3w as well (shaft testing)---Need help

Hybrid: Titleist H2 19* w/ Whiteboard 90x

Irons: Miura/Steel Fiber 110

Wedges: Titleist SM5 56, SM6 52

Putter: Bettinardi Queen Bee #6

Ball: ProV1x/Callaway Chrome

(.. good stuff edited for brevity ..)

For a lot of us it's the journey that's the fun part, not the destination. And every once in a while when that journey leads to finding a sandy beach with free beer served by topless supermodels we decide to stay for a while instead of moving on.

*** WHERE IS THIS BEACH YOU SPEAK OF ??!!??!! ***

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Fantasy Island

Ha! That must be the place where my 300+ yard .. always straight, with a "baby draw" or power fade on command .. drive is at, too......

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Ha! That must be the place where my 300+ yard .. always straight, with a "baby draw" or power fade on command .. drive is at, too......

Yep!  Right there next to mine!  The sandy beach does sounds nice too.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Archived