Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Epic Driver

Bags

Interesting. I'm still waiting to see the massive difference in ball speed many were talking about before this thing launched. I get what Epic is about, but most guys who go for a fitting seem to get REALLY good (and consistent) numbers from it, but not a dramatic increase in ball speed, which to me was supposed to be the "ground breaking technology" from Jailbreak. Just curious on if anyone has a different take than that?

Yeah, I didn't get huge increases on each swing, just 2 mph average, but my highest measured with my M1 was 158, with the Epic SZ it was 162. What I've seen, additionally, are the accuracy and consistency gains. Anyway, Lord knows each of us could be fitted to a thousand different drivers and some would respond better to some vs others.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday, using my Gamegolf tracking device, I got new long drive record of 316 with the EPIC SZ. Yes, the wind was helping, about 8 mph, but it felt like I crushed it and it flew forever. I do love this driver.

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

Interested in seeing how the performance of this club goes as the season wears on. It seems legit at this point, but I'm excited for the MGS members to get some time with them and give us some feedback!

Ditto. Seems like the guys who drive it really well are kinda split - either very definite improvement or just 'meh', can't justify it. With a few 'not for me'.

Also curious as to the ultimate opinion of a wider range of players. Or is the target market only the better player? (Of course for the SZ it is, but is the 'regular' Epic suitable for average players?)

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Ditto. Seems like the guys who drive it really well are kinda split - either very definite improvement or just 'meh', can't justify it. With a few 'not for me'.

Also curious as to the ultimate opinion of a wider range of players. Or is the target market only the better player? (Of course for the SZ it is, but is the 'regular' Epic suitable for average players?)

From what I read, the Epic SZ is very forgiving. I spent some time with the head, and while I hit some fantastic drives, I couldn't seem to keep it from going right. Some background is that I played the XR16 Pro last year, and sit somewhere around a 16 handicap. I could have definitely played the Epic SZ, but I'm just more comfortable with the XR16 Pro.

I think it all depends on your swing, but personally, I don't know if I'd push the Epic SZ only toward better players. 

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

From what I read, the Epic SZ is very forgiving. I spent some time with the head, and while I hit some fantastic drives, I couldn't seem to keep it from going right. Some background is that I played the XR16 Pro last year, and sit somewhere around a 16 handicap. I could have definitely played the Epic SZ, but I'm just more comfortable with the XR16 Pro.

I think it all depends on your swing, but personally, I don't know if I'd push the Epic SZ only toward better players.

I dunno how your getting that thing to go right but fair enough.

I'm 100% with you about the SZ being forgiving. Its definitely worth anyone checking out.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

I am a 3 handicap struggle a bit with the driver. I'm only averaging about 260 with the roll. So I'm kind of in the market for a driver. Went to a local golf shop and tried new epic new m2 new titleist and epic sub zero. Hit all the drivers the same about 240 carry except 1. The epic sub zero i hit 260 carry under 3000 rpm. And very accurate. Trying to get the money together now before the outdoor season it's a winner

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I dunno how your getting that thing to go right but fair enough.

I'm 100% with you about the SZ being forgiving. Its definitely worth anyone checking out.

Think it was partially from not swinging a lot during the winter and limited rounds. Even despite that though, I had better success with the XR16 Pro

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

I've played a Ping Rapture for 7 years now and I finally caved and bought a brand new Epic (got fitted) and he driver is crazy good, ball speed is up and distance is 15 yards longer. This is the first year I've bought a newer model piece of equipment and I am glad I did, the driver plays awesome and looks even better! That being said, I'm a club junkie and I'm always looking for new deals!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

For those who have bagged or demo'd the GBB Epic (non-SZ version) are you seeing a similar draw bias compared to the previous GBB driver?  From what I've read of the prior GBB model it was very draw biased.  Wondering if the Epic sets up the same way or if it's a bit more neutral.

For those who have bagged or demo'd the GBB Epic (non-SZ version) are you seeing a similar draw bias compared to the previous GBB driver?  From what I've read of the prior GBB model it was very draw biased.  Wondering if the Epic sets up the same way or if it's a bit more neutral.

Can't remember hitting the GBB but both liked to turn over for me. The Cally heads seem to be more draw biased the last couple of years. At least from my findings. The Epic was a very solid driver though, definitely worth hitting. 

I took my Epic out for the first time this weekend.  The Golf ball reached places that it has never seen before in the fairway. My miss is left, didn't yank one left all round.........

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

I took my Epic out for the first time this weekend.  The Golf ball reached places that it has never seen before in the fairway. My miss is left, didn't yank one left all round.........

You go with the regular or SZ? 

You go with the regular or SZ? 

I have both.  Well,  the Regular EPIC with Fuji shaft, and a just the Sub Zero head..

20170310_123535_resized.jpg

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

I have both.  Well,  the Regular EPIC with Fuji shaft, and a just the Sub Zero head.

Which do you prefer so far? Assuming you've swapped out the shaft and put it in both anyway. 

Which do you prefer so far? Assuming you've swapped out the shaft and put it in both anyway. 

Going to play with the SZ this weekend with the same shaft.  Regular Epic is performing nicely though,  Hit 7-8 fairways, nice baby cut......

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Going to play with the SZ this weekend with the same shaft.  Regular Epic is performing nicely though,  Hit 7-8 fairways, nice baby cut......

I'm gonna hit it again soon and hopefully I will have similar results to you.

There is a demo outside in a couple of weeks where I plan on hitting everything. We'll see if I can get it to play to my normal shot shape outside vs inside. I have a tendency to hit draws on a launch monitor anyway (I'm weird, I know). 

Also I noticed that Callaway has increased their stock shaft offerings for the Epic line recently. This was my biggest gripe about it when it first came out. 

I'm gonna hit it again soon and hopefully I will have similar results to you.

There is a demo outside in a couple of weeks where I plan on hitting everything. We'll see if I can get it to play to my normal shot shape outside vs inside. I have a tendency to hit draws on a launch monitor anyway (I'm weird, I know). 

Also I noticed that Callaway has increased their stock shaft offerings for the Epic line recently. This was my biggest gripe about it when it first came out. 

The results that stood out to most hen I got fitted was when I felt that I pushed the ball.  Every time I called out 'short" and expected 250-260 total yards, numbers kept coming back 280-287.  Granted that this might not translate to something good on a course,  (I'd take 250 smack middle in the fairway over 280 pushed to the right in the woods)  We shall see how it plays out,  so far I am impressed....

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

The results that stood out to most hen I got fitted was when I felt that I pushed the ball.  Every time I called out 'short" and expected 250-260 total yards, numbers kept coming back 280-287.  Granted that this might not translate to something good on a course,  (I'd take 250 smack middle in the fairway over 280 pushed to the right in the woods)  We shall see how it plays out,  so far I am impressed....

I definitely agree with you there as well. My bad ones weren't horrific. I had many a shot where I said, "that's going nowhere," and it ended up only being 5-10 yards shorter than my good strikes. One of my longest was one I caught a little high and on the toe and said "there's a massive hook." Nope, left center of the fairway and pushing 340. I was VERY pleasantly surprised with the forgiveness. 

Keep us updated. I think the demo I'm going to is on the 24th. 

I definitely agree with you there as well. My bad ones weren't horrific. I had many a shot where I said, "that's going nowhere," and it ended up only being 5-10 yards shorter than my good strikes. One of my longest was one I caught a little high and on the toe and said "there's a massive hook." Nope, left center of the fairway and pushing 340. I was VERY pleasantly surprised with the forgiveness. 

Keep us updated. I think the demo I'm going to is on the 24th. 

Will do, let us know how it goes on your side too.

Ps. I did manage to pull one during the fitting, expecting a QUACK, but it was only 17 yards left off line, then 317 yards popped up (haha)....  On a good ball strike,  hit 2 at 297 but most of it was in the 287 - 295 range.  Hopefully it carries over to the golf course,

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Will do, let us know how it goes on your side too.

Ps. I did manage to pull one during the fitting, expecting a QUACK, but it was only 17 yards left off line, then 317 yards popped up (haha)....  On a good ball strike,  hit 2 at 297 but most of it was in the 287 - 295 range.  Hopefully it carries over to the golf course,

It does seem to be a very consistent stick. I complain of it turning over but it wasnt like they were bad drives. It was scary consistent for someone who plays a fade. All turned over and few hooked but those that did were playable. I just have a hard time talking myself into a club that does the opposite of everything else in my bag.

Although if i learn to trust it, i guess it doesn't matter.

MOI is unchanged since 2007-8 I believe...you would be better off reshafting an older driver that you like...I have a TaylorMade Burner Draw that I can just pound...one son bought me a TaylorMade M2 last year...had it fitted...still cannot be as consistent as with the burner.  It ain't the arrow....

"There is not such thing as a bad day on the golf course!"

MOI is unchanged since 2007-8 I believe...you would be better off reshafting an older driver that you like...I have a TaylorMade Burner Draw that I can just pound...one son bought me a TaylorMade M2 last year...had it fitted...still cannot be as consistent as with the burner.  It ain't the arrow....

I think you mean the COR. COR doesn't mean much other than how fast the ball comes off the middle of the face. MOI varies from club to club and is better explained in this MGS article from a while back  https://www.mygolfspy.com/golf-geeks-2016-driver-center-of-gravity/ 

Glad your Burner works for you. My gamer is still a RAZR fit Xtreme from a few years back as well. 

Edit: Doesn't mean I'm not looking for a better driver though. While my best strikes may never get much better, I'd like my not so bad strikes to improve and my accuracy to come up. 

Found the Driver - Ball combo for 2017.  Sub-Zero set at 9.5 with Nike Black golf ball.  I was smoking the ball this weekend......

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Found the Driver - Ball combo for 2017.  Sub-Zero set at 9.5 with Nike Black golf ball.  I was smoking the ball this weekend......

That's one of the lowest spin tour balls I've ever played. Also one of the longest. I bet those were DEEP. 

ABSOLUTELY zero shaft options at the demo yesterday. Lack of a warmup combined with the shitt¥ shitty shaft options lead to me spraying it all over the place.

The ones i did hit where i was trying to were deep as hell tho. 340-350 range on average (there was a back wind, wish it was all me).

The Cally rep wanted me to order one with a D4 swing weight. And an upcharge shaft, surprise surprise. He didnt think any of the nonupcharge shafts would work for me.

I honestly liked the EpicSZ alot but the no upcharge shaft options were lacking. I ended up ordering an M2 despite the stupid white stripe.

ABSOLUTELY zero shaft options at the demo yesterday. Lack of a warmup combined with the shitt¥ shitty shaft options lead to me spraying it all over the place.

The ones i did hit where i was trying to were deep as hell tho. 340-350 range on average (there was a back wind, wish it was all me).

The Cally rep wanted me to order one with a D4 swing weight. And an upcharge shaft, surprise surprise. He didnt think any of the nonupcharge shafts would work for me.

I honestly liked the EpicSZ alot but the no upcharge shaft options were lacking. I ended up ordering an M2 despite the stupid white stripe.

That's a bummer !!!!!

The rep that was holding the Cally event had at least 4 carts full of shafts, every shaft that I asked for he had. including the T1100 in 65 and 75.  The M2 was on my list too, just liked the feel of the SZ a little better.  What shaft did you end up getting in the M2?

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

That's a bummer !!!!!

The rep that was holding the Cally event had at least 4 carts full of shafts, every shaft that I asked for he had. including the T1100 in 65 and 75.  The M2 was on my list too, just liked the feel of the SZ a little better.  What shaft did you end up getting in the M2?

Yea I was disappointed when I saw what my options were. The 2 best shafts for me there were the Diamana D+ 60S and a Rogue Max 70X(which looked made for). The rep was adamant that any of the 70g upcharge shafts in X would work for me as long as they built the driver in a D4 swing weight. I told him that there was no chance I was paying $700-$800 for a club I couldn't hit. 

I can't argue with you on the feel and looks of the M2 vs SZ bc I much preferred the SZ in both of those. I wish the crown of the M2 was all carbon fiber. If it was then I'd already own one  :wub:

As for the shafts, I went with a PX Hzrdus Black 75X. It was the lowest launch/spin option that I saw from Tmag in the no upcharge options. Hopefully I made the right choice. 

Yea I was disappointed when I saw what my options were. The 2 best shafts for me there were the Diamana D+ 60S and a Rogue Max 70X(which looked made for). The rep was adamant that any of the 70g upcharge shafts in X would work for me as long as they built the driver in a D4 swing weight. I told him that there was no chance I was paying $700-$800 for a club I couldn't hit. 

I can't argue with you on the feel and looks of the M2 vs SZ bc I much preferred the SZ in both of those. I wish the crown of the M2 was all carbon fiber. If it was then I'd already own one  :wub:

As for the shafts, I went with a PX Hzrdus Black 75X. It was the lowest launch/spin option that I saw from Tmag in the no upcharge options. Hopefully I made the right choice. 

I'd love to hear the sound at impact when you hit the SZ.  I bet the acoustics are different from mine. hahaha.

Good luck with the M2.

FWIW:  I played the SZ with a Truvis for a couple of holes.  Its a weird ball, feel wise it didn't feel or sound like the ball was hit good but that ball does fly....

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

I'd love to hear the sound at impact when you hit the SZ.  I bet the acoustics are different from mine. hahaha.

Good luck with the M2.

FWIW:  I played the SZ with a Truvis for a couple of holes.  Its a weird ball, feel wise it didn't feel or sound like the ball was hit good but that ball does fly....

I was just told the Hzrdus black is on back order until April 19th. Joy...

The Truvis is weird. I have a couple of friends who love them but they aren't quite my cup of tea if I'm honest. Cool ball though. 

The sound of the SZ really is good. I wish I had the video from the trackman that day so you could hear it, but then you would've gotten to witness how garbage my swing was that day so its prolly for the best lol. 

Archived