Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Epic Driver

Bags

Finally got to try the EPIC Sub Zero yesterday. 9 yards more carry than my XR16 Sub Zero with the same shaft in both. Didn't take me long to order. It felt better and seemed more forgiving as well.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This would be soooooo cool! It seriously makes good sense for the consumers 🏌️

agree great idea unfortunately manufacturers are into selling complete clubs and driving bottom line revenue so prop mot

Bags

I had an opportunity to try an Epic as well as as the 2017 M1.   I didn't try to do a fitting,  just picked up the clubs and gave them a try.   The M1 was a 9.5 with Hzrdous black and the Epic was 9 and had the Fujikura Pro Green.  

The Epic gave me about 1.5mph greater swing speed and better launch angle.  Both clubs felt pretty good.  I am eager to try and do a fitting and compare against my current driver.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

My local shop will have the Callaway rep in tomorrow to do some Epic fittings. It's indoors using a Zelocity launch monitor.... Oh well. I'll keep waiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

My local shop will have the Callaway rep in tomorrow to do some Epic fittings. It's indoors using a Zelocity launch monitor.... Oh well. I'll keep waiting

Good opportunity to go play

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

So I did decide to go by and take a look at the Epic since the rep was there with the whole system. The owner of the store says, "Coach, you want to go next door and hit it on your buddy's TrackMan?" Um..... That's a dumb question! "Sure. Why not," I say. So off I go with the Callaway rep, 2 heads, and about 8 shafts I chose.

I got warmed-up and proceeded to hit my M1. Numbers were exactly like they had been: 157-158 max ball speed, hitting it a little right, then straight, then three more right. Smash never exceeds 1.48.

Ok. Baseline is set.

I tell the Cally rep to start me in the Sub Zero 9.0, Hzrdus Black, 75g, 6.5. The first thing I saw was a little draw, no rights... Hmm.

Next shot, 159 ball speed, baby draw, down the middle. Hmmm.

I take a few more swings. Hmm. 160 ball speed pops-up... Straight shot. Dang!

Spin was still high so he starts to tinker with the head, then switches shafts, then raises and lowers loft, then we change heads. Then we change back to the Sub Zero. He tells me how PGA guys are actually getting up to 1.52 smash with this head...

Boom. 160 ball speed, 1.51 smash! Spin still a bit high.

Knocks down the head loft a degree and spin comes down a bit more.

Overall, with the SZ, I hit four shots between 5-12 yards right. Everything else was a baby draw, tight to the line.

I reduced my dispersion by 11 yards!!! WHAT?! I increased my ball speed, over all hits between M1 and SZ, 3 mph. And, to finish it off, I hit this one:

ONE HUNDRED, SIXTY TWO ball speed (11 yards right of center), 1.50 smash!!! Ho-ly COW. I haven't hit 162 ball speed in YEARS!

To sum it up, I'm VERY impressed! Wow.

The feel of the Epic is definitely harder than M1... It doesn't feel anywhere near as good. But... 3 mph more ball speed AND 11 yards of dispersion reduced?! Yeah. This looks like it would work for me JUUUUUUST fine!

So I did decide to go by and take a look at the Epic since the rep was there with the whole system. The owner of the store says, "Coach, you want to go next door and hit it on your buddy's TrackMan?" Um..... That's a dumb question! "Sure. Why not," I say. So off I go with the Callaway rep, 2 heads, and about 8 shafts I chose.

I got warmed-up and proceeded to hit my M1. Numbers were exactly like they had been: 157-158 max ball speed, hitting it a little right, then straight, then three more right. Smash never exceeds 1.48.

Ok. Baseline is set.

I tell the Cally rep to start me in the Sub Zero 9.0, Hzrdus Black, 75g, 6.0.

The first thing I saw was a little draw, no rights... Hmm.

Spin was still high so he starts to tinker with the head, then switches shafts, then raises and lowers loft, then we change heads. Then we change back to the Sub Zero. He tells me how PGA guys are actually getting up to 1.52 smash with this head...

Overall, with the SZ, I hit four shots between 5-12 yards right. Everything else was a baby draw, tight to the line.

I reduced my dispersion by 11 yards!!! WHAT?! I increased my ball speed, over all hits between M1 and SZ, 3 mph. And, to finish it off, I hit this one:

ONE HUNDRED, SIXTY TWO ball speed (11 yards right of center), 1.50 smash!!! Ho-ly COW. I haven't hit 162 ball speed in YEARS!

The feel of the Epic is definitely harder than M1... It doesn't feel anywhere near as good. But... 3 mph more ball speed AND 11 yards of dispersion reduced?! Yeah. This looks like it would work for me JUUUUUUST fine!

Sounds...  Epic

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Major issue with me actually ordering the club is the Hzrdus Black is a $250 upcharge! OUCH!!!!!!!!!

Major issue with me actually ordering the club is the Hzrdus Black is a $250 upcharge! OUCH!!!!!!!!!

I don't think Cobra charges for an upgrade to that shaft.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Sell some stuff Mook and get what you really want

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

You can get a pull much less expensive, just need to make sure of the tipping.

I don't think Cobra charges for an upgrade to that shaft.

Correct, but it's not the handcrafted version.  Same shaft in theory, just one is mass produced on the assembly line and one is hand rolled.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I finally got the image to post!!!!

Ok. Baseline is set.

I tell the Cally rep to start me in the Sub Zero 9.0, Hzrdus Black, 75g, 6.0.

The first thing I saw was a little draw, no rights... Hmm.

attachicon.gifIMG_1986.JPG

Great write up

Bags

Went in to Golf Galaxy and hit the Epic today.  Regular Epic and I don't get along.  Messed around with the Sub Zero for quite a while in various settings and both 9 & 10.5 degree heads.  Alternating Rogue Max and Hzrdus T800 shafts.

Overall results are that SLDR still wins for me.  I was 3mph faster ball speed with the SLDR.  I was hitting on a Flightscope without HMT so couldn't see impact location or smash factor.  I think part of it was the length.  I'm not used to a 45.5" driver (too long) and a lot of my shots were towards the heel with the SZ.  

I'll go back and test again when I haven't had a 2 month break since swinging a club, but my first impressions weren't that great.  On the plus side it will be easier to keep my New Years resolution of no new drivers for a while longer.

Went in to Golf Galaxy and hit the Epic today. Regular Epic and I don't get along. Messed around with the Sub Zero for quite a while in various settings and both 9 & 10.5 degree heads. Alternating Rogue Max and Hzrdus T800 shafts.

Overall results are that SLDR still wins for me. I was 3mph faster ball speed with the SLDR. I was hitting on a Flightscope without HMT so couldn't see impact location or smash factor. I think part of it was the length. I'm not used to a 45.5" driver (too long) and a lot of my shots were towards the heel with the SZ.

I'll go back and test again when I haven't had a 2 month break since swinging a club, but my first impressions weren't that great. On the plus side it will be easier to keep my New Years resolution of no new drivers for a while longer.

I had a similar experience today with my M1 vs Epic SZ. Feel off the SZ was very unique

Went in to Golf Galaxy and hit the Epic today.  Regular Epic and I don't get along.  Messed around with the Sub Zero for quite a while in various settings and both 9 & 10.5 degree heads.  Alternating Rogue Max and Hzrdus T800 shafts.

Overall results are that SLDR still wins for me.  I was 3mph faster ball speed with the SLDR.  I was hitting on a Flightscope without HMT so couldn't see impact location or smash factor.  I think part of it was the length.  I'm not used to a 45.5" driver (too long) and a lot of my shots were towards the heel with the SZ.  

I'll go back and test again when I haven't had a 2 month break since swinging a club, but my first impressions weren't that great.  On the plus side it will be easier to keep my New Years resolution of no new drivers for a while longer.

Yea I got along much better with the Fusion.  It must be an old man thing but the Fusion gave me much better overall numbers.  I have to say the Epic is a pretty little thing and I'm sure it will be an awesome stick for many but not my cup of tea.

Cleveland

Went in to Golf Galaxy and hit the Epic today. Regular Epic and I don't get along. Messed around with the Sub Zero for quite a while in various settings and both 9 & 10.5 degree heads. Alternating Rogue Max and Hzrdus T800 shafts.

Overall results are that SLDR still wins for me. I was 3mph faster ball speed with the SLDR. I was hitting on a Flightscope without HMT so couldn't see impact location or smash factor. I think part of it was the length. I'm not used to a 45.5" driver (too long) and a lot of my shots were towards the heel with the SZ.

I'll go back and test again when I haven't had a 2 month break since swinging a club, but my first impressions weren't that great. On the plus side it will be easier to keep my New Years resolution of no new drivers for a while longer.

Yeah, I was using the shorter length shaft from my XR16 SZ, when I tested, so I was striking it center and seeing great numbers. I think the shaft length would have made a huge difference.

Yeah, I was using the shorter length shaft from my XR16 SZ, when I tested, so I was striking it center and seeing great numbers. I think the shaft length would have made a huge difference.

That's a given for me and that's good the shaft adapters fit most if not all of these new products.  

Cleveland

Looked today at the golftown website and the epic is $660. I would rather buy a pxg slightly used driver then drop $660 on a driver that's gonna be a lot less in 6 months. At least the pxg will hold its value better.

Sent from my iPhone while sitting at the 19th hole.

Looked today at the golftown website and the epic is $660. I would rather buy a pxg slightly used driver then drop $660 on a driver that's gonna be a lot less in 6 months. At least the pxg will hold its value better.

That price is ridiculous. You can buy it straight from Callaway for $500.

Pulled the trigger on the one I was fitted to. Sold the M1 and my Ping wedges, so $175 after taxes after using the $ from the sale of the other stuff.

Pulled the trigger on the one I was fitted to. Sold the M1 and my Ping wedges, so $175 after taxes after using the $ from the sale of the other stuff.

Good for you Mook! Enjoy this and it will be an Epic year🏌️

Cleveland

I had some shafts installed in my back up set the other day so I decided to mess around with an Epic SZ while I waited on the club guy to finish up.  Sadly the "fitter" in the local shop was completely hopeless.

First he set me up with a 10.5 degree head, which generally is too much loft for me but I figured I'd try it.  Also put me in the Aldila Rogue Black 60 shaft.  Hit about 5-6 shots with it and 4 of them were big fades.  Looked down at the shaft and realized the "fitter" put me into a Reg flex shaft.  Told him I needed something in at least a stiff flex so he popped in the Diamana shaft.  Traditionally Diamana shafts and I don't get along well but again I tried to give this guy the benefit of a doubt.  Similar result after hitting a few shots but not quite as far right.  Also discovered that he dropped down the loft one degree, which as I understand opens up the face a bit.  At that point I handed it back to him and said I was done.

I had a couple that I was able to hit dead straight but really had to work my hands over to square up the face.  Those carried around 260 yards, which is right in line with my average with my M2.  The spin rate, though, is what blew me away.  I was getting between 3800-4200 rpm from this driver.  Not at all what I expected from a low spinning head.  Again, my M2 is down in the 2500 range.

i'm sure if I had a true fitter set me up with the proper head/shaft combo I could get better numbers out of the Epic.  That said, off the rack there's no way this thing beats out my M2.

I will say that I do quite like the look and the feel on impact.

hit one this weekend......me likey......don't think it was the right setup for me, cause I was actually fighting a hook of all things, but the ones I hit well come off noticeably 'hotter'

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

$500 driver Cost---$40 to build; $100 to promote; $360 sucker surcharge.

Hey, c'mon, somebody has to help cover the big marketing / ad costs plus the salaries & bene's of all those beautiful young people working all the social media channels.........

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Buying a driver based on expected resale value is probably not the best way to get a proper fit

That price is ridiculous. You can buy it straight from Callaway for $500.

I'm assuming that price was CAD.  $500 US = about $660 CAD

Archived