#91 Hula Rock

Hula Rock

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members

• 1,726 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas
  • Handicap:4.1

Posted 07 February 2017 - 04:42 AM

I unexpectedly drove up to a Demo Day at one of our local courses during lunch and walked away with an order for a GBB Epic.  :rolleyes:

I tried both heads and got better "Results" with the GBB Epic.  I tired the HAZRDUS T-800 (55 and 65), the Rougue Max, The Diamana "green", and several high end shafts (HAZRDUS Black and Yellow) MFS-5, Tour AD DI, Attus 6, and Speeder Evo.  To my surprise the stock Fuji Pro Green 72 performed the best. First Callaway driver since the Biggest Big Bertha that will be in my bag, pretty excited about it......

Driver:   :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green
3-Metal:  :nike-small: Nike Vapor , Diamana S+ stiff 
5-wood: :nike-small: Nike Covert Tour, KK Silver stiff
Irons:   :srixon-small: Z-545 3-PW, DG S300

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball : :nike-small:  RZN Blacks

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

#92 txgolfjunkie

txgolfjunkie

JR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 15 February 2017 - 03:02 PM

They had a demo with a Callaway Rep & TrackMan in north Houston last week. They used some weird formula to account for range balls so the numbers were a bit weird. Didn't try the regular Epic, just the SZ against my M1 w/ Adila Tour Green 65X. I tried the Fuji Pro 63x, Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 75, Rogue Max X (felt like poop), and Whiteboard/Ahina/whatever it's called now. Best performer was the Hzrdus Yellow. Wow, that shaft feels amazing. 

M1 - 9.5* set to 8.5*. 1.49 smash. +1* AOA. 169 ball speed. 2400 spin. Baby power fades all day.

SZ - 9* set to 8*. 1.50 smash. +.5* AOA. 171 ball speed. 2600 spin. Pulled draws.

I can't justify a few extra yards in the right rough (I'm a lefty) for a $750 driver...$500 retail plus $250 shaft upcharge. Even if I didn't have to answer to my wife, I still can't justify that club. I've never seen a club favor a draw/pull so much, regardless of club setting. 

But I did order a Hazrdus Yellow for the M1. So I guess something positive did come out of the fitting. 

Don't get me wrong, the SZ has a great feel to it when paired with the right shaft. Callaway is on to something with their jailbreak technology. It didn't work for me but it doesn't mean it won't work for someone else. Heck, just look at the guys on tour. While most of the Callaway reps are gaming the Epic, one of the hottest players on tour, Matsuyama, still games a Great Big Bertha from '15/'16. 

TaylorMade M1 w/ Aldila Tour Green 65 X
Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 X 
Callaway X2 Hot Pro 18* hybrid w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 X

Titleist 915HD 21* hybrid w/ Diamana D+ 75 X
Cobra King Pro Combo 4-PW w/ DG Tour Issue X100

Cobra Trusty Rusty 53*

Titleist SM5 60* K Grind

Ping Ketsch Slight Arc w/ SS Pistol GT 2.0

All my clubs are lefty style...cause I thoroughly enjoy having limited options when buying golf equipment.

#93 PMookie

PMookie

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • Handicap:5.8

Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:10 AM

My Epic is still back-ordered. The earliest it will ship is Friday. It's been three weeks since I ordered it. Apparently they ran out of weights for the SZ and are waiting for the shipment to come in so they can build the clubs. Sucks because the wife and kids are out of town this weekend and I was hoping to get it out for a couple rounds. Oh well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Driver: Ping G30 9*, Xphlexxx Agera shaft Fwy: Callaway XR, Diamana D+ 82X Hybrid: Callaway X2 Hot Pro, 20*, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 85X Irons: Callaway Apex 4-PW, TT DG S400 Wedges: Ping Glide 50*/54*/58*, TT DG S400 Putter: SeeMore Giant FGP

#94 jlukes

jlukes

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members

• 627 posts
  • LocationNJ
  • Handicap:5

Posted 16 February 2017 - 02:01 AM

Took my m1 to golf Galaxy during lunch and hit it against new m1 and new callaway. Smoked them both by more than 7 yards.

Averaged 272 carry with my M1 and 265 carry with epic sub zero and 264 with 2017 m1

2016 was also more consistent left to right.

In my Sun Mountain 2017 3.5LS

:taylormade-small: M1 10.5* - Fuji Pro 60S
:taylormade-small: M2 15* Fairway
:taylormade-small:  M2 19* Rescue
:srixon-small:  Z545 4-PW - DGSL S300
:titelist-small:  Vokey SM6 49.11F, 54.14F & 60.08M
EVNROLL ER2
:bridgestone-small: B330S

#95 jlukes

jlukes

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members

• 627 posts
  • LocationNJ
  • Handicap:5

Posted 16 February 2017 - 02:02 AM

My Epic is still back-ordered. The earliest it will ship is Friday. It's been three weeks since I ordered it. Apparently they ran out of weights for the SZ and are waiting for the shipment to come in so they can build the clubs. Sucks because the wife and kids are out of town this weekend and I was hoping to get it out for a couple rounds. Oh well.

That's ridiculous. You order right from Callaway?

In my Sun Mountain 2017 3.5LS

:taylormade-small: M1 10.5* - Fuji Pro 60S
:taylormade-small: M2 15* Fairway
:taylormade-small:  M2 19* Rescue
:srixon-small:  Z545 4-PW - DGSL S300
:titelist-small:  Vokey SM6 49.11F, 54.14F & 60.08M
EVNROLL ER2
:bridgestone-small: B330S

#96 PMookie

PMookie

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • Handicap:5.8

Posted 16 February 2017 - 02:04 AM

That's ridiculous. You order right from Callaway?

Yep. Even checked with a friend of ours at Cally- said they were having a tough time keeping the weights in stock. Had offered to help expedite it, but nothing he could do about the weights.

Driver: Ping G30 9*, Xphlexxx Agera shaft Fwy: Callaway XR, Diamana D+ 82X Hybrid: Callaway X2 Hot Pro, 20*, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 85X Irons: Callaway Apex 4-PW, TT DG S400 Wedges: Ping Glide 50*/54*/58*, TT DG S400 Putter: SeeMore Giant FGP

#97 Hula Rock

Hula Rock

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members

• 1,726 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas
  • Handicap:4.1

Posted 16 February 2017 - 03:46 AM

Yep. Even checked with a friend of ours at Cally- said they were having a tough time keeping the weights in stock. Had offered to help expedite it, but nothing he could do about the weights.

I was told the 23rd........  was hoping to have it this weekend for Vegas..

Driver:   :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green
3-Metal:  :nike-small: Nike Vapor , Diamana S+ stiff 
5-wood: :nike-small: Nike Covert Tour, KK Silver stiff
Irons:   :srixon-small: Z-545 3-PW, DG S300

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball : :nike-small:  RZN Blacks

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

#98 Jonnythec

Jonnythec

JR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • LocationRegina,Saskatchewan
  • Handicap:22

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:27 PM

Buying a driver based on expected resale value is probably not the best way to get a proper fit

I'm assuming that price was CAD. $500 US = about $660 CAD

I don't know about you, but I usually get a driver every 2-3 years. It's nice to get a few bucks back when I get rid of it.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

proximic (1)

Sponsors

Our Sponsors

Latest Status Updates

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Our Sponsors