Our Sponsors

Thank you! ;)

I get tired of all the "you bought another club?" Line of crap too.

Worse yet for me is "you spent how much on a putter?" Everyone drives the same speed limit, but the Ferrari sure looks better doing it!

At least I haven't noticed anyone trying to work a handicap number into the equation on this thread yet - people trying to guide purchases with arbitrary numbers really get me going. Buy what gives you confidence, and don't hide behind fake numbers.

If you shoot 72, and I shoot 78 (but have a 10 handicap), I didn't win - you got me by 6.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 7
  • Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll play a little devils advocate here.  100% yes there are very few gains to be had from getting a new driver every year.  Most likely the gains would be very small if there at all.  Especially if y

I'll never buy another new driver when one comes out. If you want a "new" driver buy last years model at 1/2 price. Weren't they the Best Ever know to man at the time? Or...find one in the trade-in bi

I need to rephrase if I may. Rich club ho's that can afford to do that. Us Po Ho's go to the Salvation Army or Goodwill. Some folks just have to have the latest and greatest which is ok by me it's the

Posted Images

Nope, no idea.  Just saw a lot of current model clubs in your signature.

Yes they are but that's because I flipped over gear that was 2+ years old.  But I guess that makes me a "do as I say not as I do" kind of guy, though, right?

Yes they are but that's because I flipped over gear that was 2+ years old.  But I guess that makes me a "do as I say not as I do" kind of guy, though, right?

It was just a joke based on an observation of the clubs in your signature.  I didn't mean to offend you and I apologize if you took it that way.

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Epic SZ w/ VA Composites Raijin 65 04

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :ping-small: 5i-UW G700 w/ X100 soft stepped once

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 & 58 CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

If you haven't bought a driver in the last 4 years and want something from this year's lineup, the Epic should be at the top of the list.

How can you say this, you're an ungrateful Callaway turncoat traitor   ;)

2017 might be the year I let my Ping G25 retire but only if I find something substantially better.  The Epic will be considered as will be the TaylorMade M2.  There is a TM fitting (The Kingdom) which is not far from my home. I've never had a professional driver fitting and no doubt it would help my game.

I've been to the Kingdom in CA, and one of the lead guys there moved to head up the GA one.  I would say if you can afford it and are in the market, it will definitely be worth it.  The fitting I just had for my Titleist 917, put me in something I never would have guessed on my own, and I'm seeing the results.

• Like 4

:titelist-small: TS1 Fubuki 45g R Flex

:ping-small:  G410 FW 5, 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:scotty-small:  Phantom 5.5   35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

How can you say this, you're an ungrateful Callaway turncoat traitor ;)

I've been to the Kingdom in CA, and one of the lead guys there moved to head up the GA one. I would say if you can afford it and are in the market, it will definitely be worth it. The fitting I just had for my Titleist 917, put me in something I never would have guessed on my own, and I'm seeing the results.

Yep I'm leaning heavy towards the Kingdom TaylorMade driver fitting. Just makes sense

• Like 3

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway  XR16 4- Wood
Callaway Steelhead 3 Hybrid
Tommy Armour 845 MAX 5 - GW Irons
Cleveland CBX 2 54 Degree SW
Tommy Armour Over N Out 58 Degree Lob
Wilson Harmonized Chipper 32 Degrees
Ping  Sigma G Tyne Putter OR Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide

Yep I'm leaning heavy towards the Kingdom TaylorMade driver fitting. Just makes sense

Tim was the one that did my R1 fitting.  And I'm sure he went home and had nightmares that night about my swing.  It was one of those days where the swing just never felt right.  I couldn't even hit a 7 iron consistent.  But he never rushed me or made me feel like he was just giving me anything to get me off the monitor and out of his way...LOL   Very friendly guy who knows his sheeeet!!

• Like 2

:titelist-small: TS1 Fubuki 45g R Flex

:ping-small:  G410 FW 5, 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:scotty-small:  Phantom 5.5   35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

Tim was the one that did my R1 fitting. And I'm sure he went home and had nightmares that night about my swing. It was one of those days where the swing just never felt right. I couldn't even hit a 7 iron consistent. But he never rushed me or made me feel like he was just giving me anything to get me off the monitor and out of his way...LOL Very friendly guy who knows his sheeeet!!

I'll definitely ask for Tim . Thanks for the info partner

• Like 1

Callaway  XR16 4- Wood

I am one of those guys that sells what he has when switching, and I usually have access to places like our work "bonus site", or friends who have shops where I can either buy for free, or at cost, so my out-of-pocket is minimal. I see all the time on forums guys jumping other guy's cases about "didn't u just buy a driver/putter/irons", and I've even had friends hit me with it on here and other places. Honestly, if I like change, so be it. If another guy does or doesn't, what does it matter to me? Why does it matter to them I buy a driver? If I get one driver free, like the M1 I have, I look at it as potentially $300 toward something else if it doesn't work or isn't as good as what I have. I do think it's funny that some who comment at others about buying new clubs have 30+ putters in their "collection". I don't say a word- that's their prerogative and what they like to do.

I just will never understand why people get bent out of shape when someone buys a new club. Who cares?!?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you get a deal great. Im talking about the big manufacturers forcing product to market eventually sales on all these new drivers yr after yr will drop - something has to give

• Like 2

If you get a deal great. Im talking about the big manufacturers forcing product to market eventually sales on all these new drivers yr after yr will drop - something has to give

Does it though? So long as manufacturers are properly controlling their inventory how is it really any different than any other consumer goods industry?
  • Like 2

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* VA Nemesys 65X
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 49F - 54S - 59D
:mizuno-small: M Craft II
:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

I'll never buy another new driver when one comes out. If you want a "new" driver buy last years model at 1/2 price. Weren't they the Best Ever know to man at the time? Or...find one in the trade-in bin at your local shop. You know the ones;.. that have been hit a few times and again... 1/2 price. What's the difference between the latest and greatest this year and last years latest and greatest? Except maybe a new paint scheme or some new materials or weighting things. These guys are in the USGA box and they can't get out.

Still trying to find a M2 driver for under 300, will have to wait another year

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

WITB:

Driver:   :cobra-small: F9 driver 9* stiff shaft 

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* regular shaft

Hybrids:  :nike-small: Vapor Flex  3 hybrid regular shaft 

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Ben Hogan BHB01 blade

Ball:  :Snell: Black

Bag: 2015 Ogio Chamber Cart Bag & 2018 MyGolfSpy Stand Bag

Really?  Globalgolf has very good for $285.  Plus they run promo's all the time for anywhere from 10-20% off.  That's just with a quick 1 minute search.  If you look around you should have no problem finding something for sub $300

edit: I'm assuming 2016 model

edit #2:  Taylormade preowned site 10.5 degree very good condition for $243, Mint for $288

• Like 4

Newer equipment is why golf sites/forums get traffic.

The golf sites that focus on non equipment are always on the threshold of dying.

MGS should be thankful for equipment releases. If all golf companies were on a 2 year cycle what would drive site traffic during the lulls?

• Like 1

Newer equipment is why golf sites/forums get traffic.

The golf sites that focus on non equipment are always on the threshold of dying.

MGS should be thankful for equipment releases. If all golf companies were on a 2 year cycle what would drive site traffic during the lulls?

Blasphemy! We don't have lulls here! "What choo talkin' 'bout, Willis?!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4/5, Tour V 6-10, Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/17657-dawgdaddys-unofficial-deal-of-the-day/?p=245513

Driver -  :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 
Woods - :callaway-small:   Mavrik 3 Wood & Epic Flash  Heavenwood
Hybrid - :callaway-small:   Epic Flash 4H
Irons - :callaway-small:   Rogue X 5 - AW
Wedges -  :cleveland-small:  CBX2 54* & 58*
Putter -   :EVNROLL: ER2
Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE
Ball - :Snell: MTB-X

Bag -  2020 Bag Boy Chiller Cart Bag

Check out my 2020 Bag Boy Chiller Cart Bag Review here  

if you name your new driver "Epic" it dang well better be... and from the reviews I've seen/read so far, it's not...

Curious though - with the plethora of 'adjustable' drivers that have been released in the last few years when will we start seeing drivers sold in parts?

That is - you can buy just the head and use your current shaft?

You can have maybe 2-3 shafts you like; maybe a 42 in for courses with tight fairways and a 44 for longer courses with wider ones and then a few different heads to choose from.

I think that'd be cool, but I'm sure the manufacturers wouldn't go for it.

• Like 7

StrokerAce
:tour-edge: EXS 220 HZRDUS Smoke
:cobra-small:  King F7 3w Fujikara 
:callaway-small:  Apex 20 Catalyst 6.0
:callaway-small:  Apex 23 Catalyst 6.0
--------------------------
:srixon-small: Z785 KBS CTaper lite
:cleveland-small:  RTX Zipcore 54/58 
:ping-small: Sigma G Kinloch C 
:918457628_PrecisionPro: nx7 pro rangefinder
:1590477705_SunMountain:  C130 cart bag
Franklin, MA; Right Handed; 10
"the club face sends it, the path bends it..."

if you name your new driver "Epic" it dang well better be... and from the reviews I've seen/read so far, it's not...

Curious though - with the plethora of 'adjustable' drivers that have been released in the last few years when will we start seeing drivers sold in parts?

You can have maybe 2-3 shafts you like; maybe a 42 in for courses with tight fairways and a 44 for longer courses with wider ones and then a few different heads to choose from.

This would be soooooo cool! It seriously makes good sense for the consumers 🏌️

• Like 2

Callaway  XR16 4- Wood

I agree that would be a great way to buy for the consumer.  The problem is that there wouldn't be nearly the cost savings that you think there would be.  Take a look at this MGS blog post and you see the grip and shaft is going to cost the OEM in the $9-$13 range.  So now your $500 driver is going to cost you maybe $450-$475.  I'm guessing a lot of guys would still just buy the whole club.  Plus without the cost reduction due to mass buying from the OEM that shaft that cost them $8-$12 is now going to cost you $200.  So overall that model is going to be more expensive in the long run.

• Like 2

I agree that would be a great way to buy for the consumer.  The problem is that there wouldn't be nearly the cost savings that you think there would be.  Take a look at this MGS blog post and you see the grip and shaft is going to cost the OEM in the $9-$13 range.  So now your $500 driver is going to cost you maybe $450-$475.  I'm guessing a lot of guys would still just buy the whole club.  Plus without the cost reduction due to mass buying from the OEM that shaft that cost them $8-$12 is now going to cost you $200.  So overall that model is going to be more expensive in the long run.

Yeah... it would take a paradigm shift in the industry in order to work but it certainly would be enticing.  Maybe on-line only/volume can save costs?

• Like 1

StrokerAce
:tour-edge: EXS 220 HZRDUS Smoke
:cobra-small:  King F7 3w Fujikara 
:callaway-small:  Apex 20 Catalyst 6.0
:callaway-small:  Apex 23 Catalyst 6.0
:srixon-small: Z785 KBS CTaper lite
:cleveland-small:  RTX Zipcore 54/58 
:ping-small: Sigma G Kinloch C 
:918457628_PrecisionPro: nx7 pro rangefinder
:1590477705_SunMountain:  C130 cart bag
Franklin, MA; Right Handed; 10
"the club face sends it, the path bends it..."

I am not an expert at matching shafts and clubs heads but I would have to wonder if a shaft that plays well in head 1 would perform equally well in head 2.

But as long as the head allows interchangeable shafts you can always get multiple shafts at different lengths.

• Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG