Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

How far does the average guy hit it?

hckymeyer

This is kinda splitting hairs, but ... in the GD article they refer to "median" which is a different measure (statistically) than "average". The article may have used the term interchangeably (like many people do) but .. fyi ..

* Median: is the number literally in the middle of a data set; ie. there are an equal number of data samples 'above' the median as the number of samples 'below' 

(think of the median in the middle of a divided multi-lane highway)

vs.

* Average: what we commonly understand; ie. add up all the numbers in the data set and divide that total by the count of the number of data points in the set

(and there may be a different number of samples 'above' the average value vs. the number of samples 'below' the average)

Often the median and the average may be arbitrarily close together but this one stat does not give you any info about "skewness" of the data set ... if you think of a "bell curve" graph with the apex of the curve indicating the median value (or, the average) and having the 'classic' bell shape then the data is "normally" distributed (no skew). But if you think of another graph where the curve leans out more to the right side of the median then would indicate that out of the samples 'above' the median a large portion of them tended towards the larger values in the set (positive skew). Similarly if the curve leaned out to the left more samples 'below' the median would be smaller (negative skew). 

The article didn't clarify what the percentage value of each data set was? So possibly it's the percent of players in each grouping whose median (or, average) drive was at the stated value. The lower percentage numbers - like for the highest handicap group or the youngest age group - indicate the distance numbers within that group are more spread out (ie. the bell curve is 'flatter' vs 'taller') and there are relatively more players at each distance value compared to a higher percentage group - eg. look at HCP 10-19 where almost 40% of the players hit their median drive about 215ish.

So intuitively this makes sense: the "worst" and the youngest players have drives all over the place....

Anyway, sorry guys for the math nerd ramble.....

* This is GREAT info and along the lines of what Rev said, I believe a good argument for many of us 'regular' golfers to Play It Forward :-) 

Aaaah!  Nerd-speak!  I love it!!  You are correct sir.  

Look at the percentages.  The 10-19 HCP is clearly the largest group, as I would expect.  I probably fall into that range, but I can play to a lower index because I mostly play at my home course.  But that range will likely cover all age groups, maybe an even distribution... who knows?  That range will have big hitters and short hitters, so the bell curve will likely be flatter.  Wide variety of capabilities here.  What I find very interesting is that the percentage of players in age groups 30-40, 40-50, and 50-60 are essentially the same.  Based on the concerns with "growing the game of golf" over the last several years, I would have expected the percentages to be skewed towards the higher age brackets.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty reasoned posting here thanks guys. I think a part of that is that enough of us have played with one another that we know BS might be called. :)

"

Bones we've heard the stories. I've played with Theo, Rookie, Foz, Matt, Ken Jax beach and Barbajo, they've played with others, we are still a small enough community for that.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

You're a beast

Standing next to you on the tee box...I'm a mouse!

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I seem to be right on the average for my age and handicap... if I use my 2 iron. I'm a decently long hitter and have only  ever played with a few guys who are consistently longer, but whenever talking with people I try to be realistic about my average distance and all kinds of guys claim to be longer, don't see it. These numbers do see a little low to me, but maybe I play mostly with guys who are above average.  I tend to forget that I am above average when it come to golf, think a 10 11 handicap isn't that great but according to some a bogey golfer is average or those with USGA handicaps  around a 15 is average and of all golfers average shoos around 100.  Is this sample of avid golfer or occasional golfers?

Chippewa Falls Wisconsin

10.3 Index

Right Handed

What's in the bag:

Driver: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 8* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-flex, :ping-small: Anser 8*, Black Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex; :cobra-small: King LTD Pro Orange Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex

FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 15* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-Flex :ping-small: Anse14*, Fujikura Speeder 757 US Open Edition , X-Stiff

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V4 2 utility Iron, 3-PW, +0.25, 2* Upright, True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100

Wedges: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour PMP Gun Blue 52* bent to 51*, 56* True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100 Shafts

:edel-golf-1: E2 35", :wilson_staff_small: 8802 35.5", :ping-small: Scottsdale, Wolverine C 35" :ping-small: Anser Milled, Anser 2 34"

I seem to be right on the average for my age and handicap... if I use my 2 iron. I'm a decently long hitter and have only  ever played with a few guys who are consistently longer, but whenever talking with people I try to be realistic about my average distance and all kinds of guys claim to be longer, don't see it. These numbers do see a little low to me, but maybe I play mostly with guys who are above average.  I tend to forget that I am above average when it come to golf, think a 10 11 handicap isn't that great but according to some a bogey golfer is average or those with USGA handicaps  around a 15 is average and of all golfers average shoos around 100.  Is this sample of avid golfer or occasional golfers?

I think as a rule if you cave in the face of a brand new driver you are no longer considered "average" :)

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I think as a rule if you cave in the face of a brand new driver you are no longer considered "average" :)

To be fair to Cobra it wasn't the face it was the seem where the metal and carbon fiber came together.  B)

Chippewa Falls Wisconsin

10.3 Index

Right Handed

What's in the bag:

Driver: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 8* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-flex, :ping-small: Anser 8*, Black Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex; :cobra-small: King LTD Pro Orange Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex

FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 15* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-Flex :ping-small: Anse14*, Fujikura Speeder 757 US Open Edition , X-Stiff

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V4 2 utility Iron, 3-PW, +0.25, 2* Upright, True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100

Wedges: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour PMP Gun Blue 52* bent to 51*, 56* True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100 Shafts

:edel-golf-1: E2 35", :wilson_staff_small: 8802 35.5", :ping-small: Scottsdale, Wolverine C 35" :ping-small: Anser Milled, Anser 2 34"

I think you nailed it Rev, it's so easy to forget that duck hook on 2 that went 180 and then the one that was bounced off the front of the tee box that went 130 on 8.  Guys will always go with the longest drive they've ever hit when asked how far they hit the driver.  

I'd like to think I'm longer than average (with the driver ;) ) than my handicap and age brackets, but I'm also thinking that's when I hit it well.  On the flip side forgetting the bad shots is something I consider a good thing!

I would think that it is appropriate to exclude the outliers when guesstimating one's average. MGS does that in its testing. I'm thinking its average distance on the let's say "normal" shots for one's ability, excluding the terrible and clear mishits. If I balloon or slice one 170, count it, but the heeled 130 grounder or unplayable snap hook, don't. Much more representative of what we're trying to measure.

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

I should hit it farther but rather be in play at 240-250 than woods at 280+ - I prob avg 240-250 but we all have to remember if we hit one in woods left or right say enters woods 50yards off the tee that will Really skews our distance avg pulling it way down so that avg distance chart can be deceiving. If we throw out any driver swings not in play either rough or fairway throw out 50 yarder into woods everyones avg would be better.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I read this study too and it's really interesting to me because I track everything with game golf. My average drive according to their system is 14 yards longer than the scratch golfer average which makes me happy being a 41 year old 8 handicap. It is interesting to me when I play with people who think they hit it 300 and I'll be right next to them in the fairway on one they "crushed" and we only hit 270 according to game golf.

IMG_0157.JPG

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

@Jax, what if the 190 yard shot isn't an outlier? What if it's twice or three times a round?

I consider an outlier something that happens once in blue moon. For example I may hit a ground ball off the tee once in 50 rounds. That's an outlier.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

attachicon.gifIMG_0394.JPG

There it is. Last 20 rounds. 46 years old, 9.5 handicap according to my gamegolf.

Solid driving stats.

@Jax, what if the 190 yard shot isn't an outlier? What if it's twice or three times a round?

I consider an outlier something that happens once in blue moon. For example I may hit a ground ball off the tee once in 50 rounds. That's an outlier.

I think 1 in 50 would be considered an anomaly.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

That's once in 50 rounds so 50 times 14 more or less. 

Further it will only happen when my back is barking at me.  My normal miss is thin.  My normal miss when my back hurts or when I get tired is to over hook the ball.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Ok, rephrase that. First of all, my outlier example was 130, not 190. And, two or three times a round is not an outlier. What I'm referring to is the one that is infrequent and, I guess, so bad that its inclusion skews the stats and makes them meaningless. Extreme example, I hit 13 drives that average 210 and top one every round that goes 10 yds. If I include that, my average goes down to 194, over 16 yds less. For the purposes that one would be interested in one's average drive, that inclusion to me makes that average now meaningless or unrepresentative. Like, in what tees one should play. If my 210 yd drive gets me to a second shot of 130 to 175, probably good tees to play from. If I'm using the 194 average, now I'm saying my second shot would be 145 to 190, probably a stretch for those tees. But it wouldn't really be.

MHO

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

Ok, rephrase that. First of all, my outlier example was 130, not 190. And, two or three times a round is not an outlier. What I'm referring to is the one that is infrequent and, I guess, so bad that its inclusion skews the stats and makes them meaningless. Extreme example, I hit 13 drives that average 210 and top one every round that goes 10 yds. If I include that, my average goes down to 194, over 16 yds less. For the purposes that one would be interested in one's average drive, that inclusion to me makes that average now meaningless or unrepresentative. Like, in what tees one should play. If my 210 yd drive gets me to a second shot of 130 to 175, probably good tees to play from. If I'm using the 194 average, now I'm saying my second shot would be 145 to 190, probably a stretch for those tees. But it wouldn't really be.

MHO

That's the way I look at it as well. I think most people know when they hit one so out of the norm it can't be used as a representation of ones ability.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

According to Golf Pad GPS:

Driver Longest: 316y

Driver Median: 275y

Driver Average: 295.5y

I think I am closer to the 285-290 range on average, last fitting numbers with the SLDR and the Rogue Silver:

SS: 109

AoA: +1.3

Launch: 13.2

Spin: 2035-2200

Carry: 278

Total: 297.3

I think the average player is between 240 and 260...

Driver              SLDR TP 10.5* with Aldila Rogue Silver 125 MSI 60 Tour X, 44.25"

3W                  Ping G25 with Diamana White Board D+ 82X, 42.5", tipped .5"

Driving Iron     Callaway X Prototype Utility with Tour AD DI 105X

Irons               4-P Callaway Tour Authentic Prototype with KBS C-Taper 130X

Wedges          Cleveland RTX-588 46, 50, 54, 58 with True Temper DG Tour X100

Putter              Odyssey White Hot Pro Tour V-Line with Super Stroke 1.0 Pistol GT Tour, 33.25"

Golf Ball          Kirkland Signatures and Chrome Soft 2016

At age 69 and having a very bad back the distance for >60 of 196.40 is pretty much spot on now, possibly even a little high.  I never play tees over 6000 anymore and have quit playing in anything that demands I do so.  I can't practice because of my back so trying to swing hard is a tempo killer as well as accuracy killer.  I would rather play the senior tees and enjoy shooting in the 80's with an occasional trip into the 70s and less occasional 90s than play at the members tees and shoot in the high 80s low 90s with an occasional trip into the 100s.

I will never be able to over power a course again, and plan to check out senior flex shafts for all of my clubs soon. It's about having fun at my age,

Driver -  :callaway-small:   Rogue ST Max
Woods - :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max  3, 5 & 7 Woods
Irons  -   :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max                                                                                                                                                                                       

Wedges - :cleveland-small:  Zipcore RTX 6 50°  CBX2   54* & 58*                                                                                                                                               

Putter -  Evnroll   ER2
Rangefinder - :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX-10 Slope
Ball -  :vice: Pro Tour Drip                                                                                                                                                                                           

Bag -  :tour-edge: Xtreme Cart 7.0 Bag Heather/Red/White

According to Golf Pad GPS:

Driver Longest: 316y

Driver Median: 275y

Driver Average: 295.5y

I think I am closer to the 285-290 range on average, last fitting numbers with the SLDR and the Rogue Silver:

SS: 109

AoA: +1.3

Launch: 13.2

Spin: 2035-2200

Carry: 278

Total: 297.3

I think the average player is between 240 and 260...

Sorry to disappoint but there are no numbers to support that other than the average player on the LPGA. They average between 240 and 260.

Your numbers are your numbers. I'm not disputing those but the numbers on this thread are pretty much spot on to a tad high for any honest assesment of driving distances that I've ever seen.

Back at Jax Beach I do agree with you there. I think that programs like game golf allow you to delete the type of outlier you are referring to.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I think that programs like game golf allow you to delete the type of outlier you are referring to.

[/url]

I wish they would then I could really bump the average up! Seriously though Gamegolf doesn't allow you do that. You can choose not to have entire rounds included in your stats but you can't take out outlier shots. I think the numbers may be a little high because most of the people that spend money on something like gamegolf are a little more serious about the game so it doesn't include statistics from guys that only play a few times a year.

Huh.

Well, I hit it a country mile, and as long or longer than most everyone I play. I probably avg 230-240. But in summertime, it's probably 10 yds more.

But I'm almost 61, and I don't play with many people under 40

But I have days with a few 280-300, when dry and windy

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Huh.

Well, I hit it a country mile, and as long or longer than most everyone I play. I probably avg 230-240. But in summertime, it's probably 10 yds more.

But I'm almost 61, and I don't play with many people under 40

But I have days with a few 280-300, when dry and windy

So you are average for your handicap, and much better than average for your age.  Good job!

When you get to be my age, you'll hit it as far as I do.    :(

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Distance chart from my notebook. Sometimes I'll hit a tad longer or shorter but normally these are the numbers I play to.IMG_1402.JPG

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Distance chart from my notebook. Sometimes I'll hit a tad longer or shorter but normally these are the numbers I play to.attachicon.gifIMG_1402.JPG

This to me is how to play and select your club, based on a laser rangefinder.

I don't like the concept of recording every shot taken, and accruing an "average" length, because it's not a true distance of how far a purely struck ball goes.

Because I plan on striking every shot right in the sweet spot, because when I do, I'm dancing.

Playing to your average shot will fly over the green when you hit it well.

It's like planning on semi-failure...

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

I don't like the concept of recording every shot taken, and accruing an "average" length, because it's not a true distance of how far a purely struck ball goes.

Because I plan on striking every shot right in the sweet spot, because when I do, I'm dancing.

Agree and disagree.  I like to think that I flush a shot more often than not, but if I know that there are no problems off the back or if the pin is in front and it's a big green, I will go with a club that does not leave me short if I mishit it a little.  This is especially true if there is trouble in front.  However, if the green is open in front, I will play to the purely struck yardage.  

all my distances are based on good strikes, with standard being an 80% swing and max being roughly 90% I can control and alternate distances pretty well but these are just my two full swing distances.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Archived