Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Vision Golf Ball - US Test Pilot Project - MyGolfSpy

I took Pinky for a walk after work yesterday. OK Boz, now tell me. Just how the hell does that thing work? As far as I could determine, NOTHING seemed to be right about it, except the RESULTS! LOL! I played the back 9 at the USAF base course... a par 37.

Hole 10 - 345 yd par 4 - I almost always hate the first drive of the day. Yep, no exception. Hit it fat and it went about 100 yds, but what the heck, it was smack in the middle of the fairway. LONG 3 wood toward the green. When I hit it, it felt kind of mushy and I had a feeling I was going to be well short. It even LOOKED well short. Ummm... 10 yds from the green, chipped on and got more backspin than I expected, 2 putted (wow, I loved the feel off the putter) and went away happy with my bogey considering the topped drive. :)

Hole 11 - short 484 yd par 5 - Got a decent drive and put it right in the middle of the fairway. Again, it felt like it was going to be a short drive and it LOOKED short. Hmm... what is that beside me... oh... that's the 200 yd marker. :blink: WHAT??? I don't drive 280 yds, normally more like 240 - 250ish... and no way was it that long. But the proof was layin' on the ground in front of me. Hybrid up to the green again felt short but was pin high about 3 yds right of the green. Chipped up within a couple feet for a GIR and 1 putt for bird. HUH? I've never birdied that par 5 before even though it is so short. B)

Hole 12 - 391 yd par 4 - Again a nice drive (260ish) to the middle of the fairway, 8 iron to the green (damn... another one that felt short but wasn't) but I screwed up and 3 putted on a tough green. Dammit.. bogey. :angry:

Hole 13 - 504 yd par 5 - AARRGGHH!! How does it do it. That felt like a 220-230 yd drive.... 270ish smack in the middle of the fairway again. FWY wood again felt short and wasn't (this is sounding kind of repetitive isn't it?) Short chip on from the left to 1' from the pin. Chirp! Another birdie! :D

The rest of the game went downhill a little, but it wasn't pinky's fault. A 3 putt and couple un-necessary 2 putts (like from 3-4 feet) and I wound up 5 over. :)

What? 5 OVER??? I haven't had 9 holes like that since I took the game back up. My last 9 holes at 5 over was somethin' like ohhh... 32 yrs ago! :lol:

I wish I could say it was because my game has improved that much. It has improved some but I definitely give some credit to the ball. Pinky amazed me. :D

Again Boz, how the heck does it do it? That round had at least one hit on every hole that felt well short, but the results did NOT show that. It also somehow managed to almost eliminate any slice/hook tendencies, cuz I hit several shots that I was sure were going to, but they didn't. Well done my friend. :lol:

•Never argue with an idiot. First, he will drag you down to his level. Then he will beat you with experience!•

You guys have me intrigued with the Pinkie, trying to get my mate in Brisbane to get me some if he ever responds to his email.

Not played too much lately for various reasons, job hunting mostly.

I have enjoyed using all the balls, not sure yet which I prefer as my swing has been erratic, but all the balls work well for me.

I think I prefer the UV X3, I find they definitely release nicely on chips, pitches and flops onto the green. All the balls do.

All the balls take wedge damage well and clean up nicely and feel good when hit.

Brillo pad works well.

I have hit a few in practice against Srixon Soft and Titleist NXT and distance is a little further on the Vision, with other comparison balls I find inconsistency in my distance in that some fly further on one shot but not on another, again my fault.

I really like the Proto, this feels good to hit in all areas, drive, iron, putter.

Fantoms are also nice to hit, all the balls are easier to see than other balls in the rough etc, leaves hide ALL balls!

However, I found that if I started late in the day or on a cloudy day I guess the UV doesn't charge as well as I did find little difference when i was hunting for the many balls I hit but at a distance the Visons do stand out better.

I have not hit a slice with these balls yet.

More work to do.

Thanks again Boz for the chance to try these.

Post theft of my clubs and gear, I have all new:In the bags:

ClicGear cart bag; Mizuno Carry Bag.

Clic Gear 2.0 cart.

Lamkin mid size grips on all.

KZG VC-420 Driver 10.5 deg with 38 lb flex black NovaTech 6000 shaft.

KZG Q 3 Wood 15 deg with 37 lb Fierce Full Force shaft silver

KZG Q 5 Wood, 19 deg with 37 lb Fierce Full Force shaft silver

KZG H370 Tour hybrid 22 deg with Silver NovaTech shaft 38 lbs

KZG forged cavity back CBIII wedges AW -5 iron, bent 3 deg up, with silver 38lb graphite NovaTech shafts

KZG 60 degree forged wedge NS shaft.

Callaway X Jaw 64 degree wedge

Odyssey Putter.

Vision Golf Balls Test Pilot, Titleist ProV1x

Open for sponsorship

I'm even more impressed with the whole lineup of balls after today. I played a par 3 with holes ranging from 65-160yds. I played 5 balls from tee to the bottom of the hole; the balls played were a ProV1, NXT Tour, Vision Gel, Vision X3, and Vision Arctic White. I shot -2 with both the ProV1 and the X3, I shot even par with the other three balls. All the Vision balls felt like butter off the wedges and putter. The only noticeable difference between the Vision balls and the ProV was the green side spin, which I was playing for, since they (Vision) are not Urethane covered. I almost holed out on with the X3 and Arctic on the 111yd 1st and was within 4' with all 3 Vision balls on the 145yd 4th. I was truly impressed with the performance of all three Vision ball; up against what is arguably the best ball in golf (ProV), they held their own. Great work, Boz.

Hi Guys, plenty of good info here today.

Firstly can we talk about the straightness of the balls, the Vision balls with the Gel V designs in particular will play straighter and putt straighter without any real loss in distance than most other balls I know.

I have seen the Polaris info and have been aware of their design technology for over 20 years but in real terms I feel my approach to straighter ball flight is more effective and practical when in play no matter where on the course.

Hey Mike, plenty of good stuff in your story. You might recall how Taylor-Made were promoting a more forgiving ball design with the Burner models so that miss hits would still travel almost as far this is part of my approach, I have a dual density core that will play soft / solid not spongy soft and lively like a Super rubber ball (kids toy) this is the key to the PINKY/GEL and ARCTIC but due to the different cover blends the PINKY is the hottest as will be the new 2011 UV and 2011 TruBLUE models.

Hi Spes, ok good to see and yes they will be straighter than normal, I have had over 10,000 players trial balls in OZ over the past 5 years and this has been a common commnt to date.

Steve, glad to hear Mike was able to sort you out. Just to update the situation I haven't got my updated range in the US yet plus the TruBLUE won't be ready till later in the year. I am talking to Mike at present to see how we will look after players so if there are any requests please run them by me to see what can be done. I will be keeping things low profile till next summer whilst I keep learning more about your market.

Hi JB, we have done a lot of work with the Par3 and Pitch&Putt community around the world, as I believe that type of golf gives me better short game info. The French National P&Pteam played Vision over the past two years and the Australian No1 player has played Vision for a couple of seasons now.

Talk more soon, Boz. :)

Vision Golf Ball Concepts & Designs by The Atanak Co Australia (1980 - 2016)

There's a National P&P Team!!!??

Who knew, and I live a couple of hundred yards away from a nice P&P course.

Chance for me yet, although I went there a few days ago to try out the Visions in peace and quiet on a short course.

They really excelled there except that I rediscovered my shank that I thought I had lost.

Let's face it most of never get our balls to spin on the green, do we?

Most of us are using the wrong balls anyway.

These handle so well on this type of course 85 yards and in that they must help almost anyone's short game.

I practiced using a variety of irons and wedges to see how well I could handle them, 60 deg all the way up to a 7 iron so I was flopping and pitching with a variety and found that no matter what I used it was easy to figure out how the ball would work and release. There is a difference as to how the balls handle from a dead stop, which surprised me, to a predictable roll, I just have to take notes as to which balls I use.

Clic Gear 2.0 cart.

KZG forged cavity back CBIII wedges AW -5 iron, bent 3 deg up, with silver 38lb graphite NovaTech shafts

Odyssey Putter.

Open for sponsorship

Hi Spes, yes I played for Australia against a World selection a couple of years ago here in Sydney. The game is a little different as you have to hit off a tee/peg (read tall tee for real drop and stop shots) for all tee shots and in line with the Irish game the holes are no longer than 90 metres and you have only 3 clubs.

You are right on the money with regards to approach shot and short game help from my designs.

If any of you have read the latest Titleist Ball Fitting info which they title #1 ball for your game,,,,, they have a lot a FACTS that they quote to explain how they believe you as a player can lower your regular score with a real emphasis in hitting more greens in regulation or getting up and down more often.

I believe if you were to look at the info and think more about what you are seeing with the Vision design that you like the most, that you will now understand better how over time most of my regular type (read probably above 8 handicap) players are shooting lower scores.

What I see with my players is, the balls are LONG ( helps most players ) STRAIGHTER DRIVES ( more Fairways in Reg) more fairways with then the STRAIGHTER / MORE CONTROLLED APPROACH shots ( more Greens in Reg ) the balls do roll straighter when putting and chipping and over time most players learn to judge these shots better to take advantage of this fact.

More FIR = more GIR , + practical greenside control = a LOWER score.

Titleist state that every GIR is worth almost 2 shots off your score, so the more GIR's we can get the better we become.

Food for thought,

Boz.

<_ but the shots in savings got me thinking i will have to confirm numbers during my next scientifically marketing focused project. src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_smile.png" alt=":)"> Boz.

Boz, be prepared for some very stylish pictures of your golf balls and my snappy wardrobe when I get the package. You might want to make me the model for your World Wide Ad Campaigne!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Got off work early so my wife said "why don't you go hit some balls?"....so I did.....I pulled an Arctic white and used it for 4 holes...2 over par so far.....had a 175 yard approach shot over a lake...an it didn't make it.....so I grabbed a UVX3 and continued play.....my recovery shot was 3 ft from the hole for a bogey......today is a sad day for Vision fans....I lost not one, but two balls today...........I have my regular 18 holes tomorrow, a practice round at an exclusive private club on Sunday, then a two man scramble on Monday....My plan is to use my last Pinky on Monday.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Say it isn't so Foz! B)

Remember due to the long lasting nature of our Flexi Gel cover I had decided to not teach

my designs to swim,,,,they last long enough as it is.

You may say that it is cruel but it is a business but if Russell does decide to learn

how to swim on his own good luck to him, and I will take it like a man whilst adding the

fact to my ad copy. :) Boz.

I need to watch "The Legend of Bagger Vance" as I truly believe that I lost my swing.....shotan a 94 today.

Seems that I was just not getting my balance correct so I could hit the ball.....no losses today.....

You know, after playing several rounds with the Vision ball, when I switched back on a couple holes with a conventinal golfball, they just didn't feel right off the putter.....so I found myself going back to an Arctic White X3...there the putting was much better instantly.

Why is that?

Got a 2 man scramble on Monday.....should I use the Pinky or the Gel?

I am the 16 Hcap playing with an 8 Hcap partner.

Experience says that I hit first, put it in the fairway, then let my partner go for it....So is it the Pinky or the Gel?

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Hi Foz, yes JB the Pinky for drives for sure and maybe Gel for short shots, no one ball rule. B)

Putting Ok what you are now seeing is the way your senses get used to a new/different feel over a few games of golf to become your normal.

My designs have a unique soft/solid feel and as such they have their own speed / feel & sound off your club. These are all the elements used by players (some better than others ) to help control the distance they hit their putts.

Like with our local TP testing these are the type of game improvement concepts that come to light for many players whilst being involved with my Test Pilot team.

Cheers, Boz.

Practiced on a P&P today, greens had just been punched and sanded and we had just had a heavy rain, interesting to say the least.

I gave the Proto a chance, no water to lose it in!

I can honestly say it performed the best of all the balls, sweet off the club, straight flight, stopped dead on the green.

It really felt like butter, nothing harsh or hard about that ball, a pleasure to use.

I played other balls at the same time, Callaway HX for example; I can lose a Callaway within seconds, they same to vanish off the tee never to be seen again for some reason, I find them somewhat hard.

My favourite ball has been the ProV1x, which I really like but this performed and felt much better.Despite being hit by wedges for a couple of hours there was no discernable damage to the Proto.

I still have to play the Gels a bit more but if I had a box of protos that would be it for me.

Spent some time chipping and pitching with the Proto to compare with other balls and it felt good in that role.

I have not yet hit this ball long but I am looking forward to doing so, just need a course with no OB, no water hazards and I am off.

Two days ago I played in driving rain for 3 hours, fun, the glove held up completely, I put a rain glove on the other hand and it did not perform as well, I tended to slip a bit.

Clic Gear 2.0 cart.

Odyssey Putter.

Open for sponsorship

Two days ago I played in driving rain for 3 hours, fun, the glove held up completely, I put a rain glove on the other hand and it did not perform as well, I tended to slip a bit.

Really? What brand was it? I've got a pair of Nike rainproof gloves, but have been fortunate to not have to break them out this year. That statement did perk my ears up a bit...

Being in Vancouver I always have to be prepared for the odd shower, I think they come up from Seattle!

I was using the Etonic G Sok rain glove, which is a nice glove, good fit, but the grip is better on the Vision, the little grip nodules (!!??) are more pronounced.

I also use the Wilson rain glove which uses a different approach, it is a water absorbant material, also performs well.

I keep several gloves, rain and normal, in small ziplock bags as I found that my bag is not really water proof!

Clic Gear 2.0 cart.

Odyssey Putter.

Open for sponsorship

Played in some inclement weather over the weekend, tested out the glove in the rain and it performed very well, the grippy texture was pretty much unfazed by the rain, and I really hate playing with wet grips!

I had my first ball casualty. One of my Arctics took a brutally unfair left bounce into a deep water hazard! I was pretty hacked off, which took my buddy by surprise because I'm usually unfazed by such things. I dug around for it for much longer than I have in years, to no avail. I'd only played the Arctic for a few holes when I lost it but I was liking it. I switched to the UVX3 and played 16 holes with it and I have to say it continues to grow on me. I'm learning how to play it around the greens and I'm starting to get very good results. These balls do check, they just check differently from a typical tour ball, they roll out a bit more but seem more predictable in thier response. At first I didn't think I'd be able to or want to adjust to it, but I'm changing my mind about that. I put several chips at tap in distance, and I kind of live and die by my short game so it was good to be able to play the UVX3 when I was playing well. I shot my best round in a few weeks, shooting 78 in very rainy and windy conditions!

I really like putting with all the vision balls I've tried, I really like the two alignment aids, I use the big wide for long putts and the narrow for short putts, this is such a little thing but I like it quite a bit!

Good work Boz, I'm really happy to have had the opportunity to try these out!

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

Played 36 holes today......about 9 with the Arctic White (love the big numbers)and just 3 with the Proto....

On the 3rd hole with proto, my drive was pushed to the right, under a large oak tree. So with 185 to the green, I pulled my 3 hybrid out, set up with the ball off my right foot, so I would deloft the shot, keep it under the branches and out back into the fairway.....evidently I hit the ball with a descending blow and it shot out about 150 yds again to the right slightly....played it out to the hole and noticed a slight crease in the cover when cleaning it for a putt....

Looked like a 3/4" cut with a blister under it.....so I took it out of play as I thought the blister area might come off when hit again...I took a couple pix, but not sure how to get them on the blog.

Looked like a 3/4" cut with a blister under it...I took a couple pix, but not sure how to get them on the blog.

just click on "click to attach files" under "Attachments" box under the messages, a dialogue box will open to find the pic you want to upload from your hard drive.

Once you have done that you will see an attachment text in the message, you can then press "send" it takes a little time but the photo will appear in your message.

I think.

The "HELP" for the Forum is not very helpful.

Clic Gear 2.0 cart.

Odyssey Putter.

Open for sponsorship

Hi Spes, the gloves are working really well as an all round alternative to the regular and rain type gloves. I like the fact they ae light and after while not really noticable on your hand creating way less hand fatigue for many players with the added traction.

Hi Tyk, the short game style you are now adopting is part of the reason I believe the VISION balls if played this way will be more forgiving than the current high spin stop / suck back?? not sure excatly how they are going behave on the green Premium Tour designs,,,, as that style requires greens to be very consistent and your shots to be very consistent which if you were to analyse the numbers just is not the reality for regular players.

Listen to the Touring Pro's, if a course is set-up with variations in greens speeds/hardness etc the Super always cops a spray as it really takes away their scoring ability because of the modern short game style that most Pro's adopt.

Hi Foz, thanks for the update and don't worry about the proto as remember I only created 36 balls to trial this TPU cover material and it will delaminate after a while because it is too hard to get the temperature spot on with such a small amount of material going through the moulds. These balls would usually never be seen beyond my use but seeing we ae trying something new with this Project I thought some initial feedback would be interesting.

I would keep it as it is a very rare ball.

Glad to hear the Big Numbers are growing on you, as that and the putting alignment guides are working a treat for me with most players now understanding how simple yet useful the VISION ball marking setup is.

Cheers,

Boz.

Boz, some more feedback on the Proto. Ummm.. its not so good. :(

I played it for two holes yesterday. After the first approach shot (90 yds, wedge) the cover was scuffed a bit. Not too bad, and I smoothed it out enough with a thumbnail that I was happy to continue with it. 2nd hole was a 180 yd par 3. Iron off the tee box to the green and when I got to the green, I could see what foz described above. It looked like there was a cut in the ball and a slight blister. But yet, the cover was NOT cut. The "inner" part of it (color layer?) was... Does that make any sense at all?

Anyway... I had to take it out of play. Was a shame cuz I did love the feel of it for the short time I played it.

Now, for some good feedback. ;) Still playing the UVs... and DANG I like those. Other than the two holes mentioned above, I played 3 rounds this weekend with 1 ball! I'm really getting use to the short game aspects of them and am beginning to putt them really well. :)

*edit* Forgot to mention... I got the balls from SMT on Saturday. Those guys are QUICK!! :) :)

•Never argue with an idiot. First, he will drag you down to his level. Then he will beat you with experience!•

Boz, some more feedback on the Proto. Ummm.. its not so good.... ;)

) the cover was scuffed a bit... I could see what foz described above. It looked like there was a cut in the ball and a slight blister...

And yet my Proto is pristine despite being hit many times now with my 60 deg which has nice sharp groves that shaves other balls.

Clic Gear 2.0 cart.

Odyssey Putter.

Open for sponsorship

Hi Mike, no problems this was very new cover material and only 36 balls were produced for me to see what it felt like and as such delamination due to insufficient tempretature at the moulding stage would see some balls binding better than others. Like I mentioned these type of early proto's don't usually get out into the real world but thanks for the info.

We really love the UV balls and this will be my main focus in regards to improving feel/performance going forward because they do help so many players, glad to hear SMT could look after to you.

Cheers, Boz.

• SPY VIP

So we took the Coach Mattos balls out on the course for the tournament today. They performed great on the course, as expected, but off the course they were all stars.

My friends and I passed out more than we played today. To the late coach's wife, his son, and his fellow coaches. To a person, they were greatly moved.

I appreciate your product Boz, but I appreciate your help more. Thanks for helping us make a touching gesture and for helping us honor a great man.

From the course.

mattostourny.jpg

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...