Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Hilton Head - Need Recommendations!

NCST8golf

So, courtesy of my wife's continuing education requirements, I will heading to Hilton Head in April for a long weekend.  Sounds pretty good right about now since Snowpocalypse 2017 in NC has me relegated to banging balls into the garage net for the past week!  As she will be in class 8 hrs/day, I plan to squeeze in as much golf as I can and need some recommendations.  We will be staying at the Marriott Resort next to Palmetto Dunes.  I have heard good things about the three courses at PD (especially the RTJ course), but have never personally played anywhere on HHI. 

I will be arriving on a Friday afternoon (probably not enough time for a round) so I would like to find a course near the hotel where I could use a range and chip/putt at my leisure.  Any courses with great practice facilities in the area?  I would like to play 36 on Saturday and then 18 on Sunday morning.  I am ruling out Harbour Town for cost reasons - can't stomach the ~$250 for peak season.  I am good with anything the $150 range and below.  I plan to call the hotel to inquire about package deals, but I am really interested to hear from some of you guys who have played the low country.         

I vacation in Hilton Head every other year and we usually play a couple times over the course of the week. My first recommendation would be Crescent Pointe, which is right outside of Hilton Head in Bluffton. Excellent course for the price and you can probably score a good rate on Golf Now. I've also played Golden Bear at Indigo Run and wasn't impressed with it. If you're willing to pay up to $150, Oyster Reef, Dolphin Head, and Shipyard are all high quality.  

ogio_logo1.jpg?w=690Shredder Stand Bag /  :taylormade-small: TP SLDR S Mini 16* /  adams-golf-logo.jpg?w=690Pro DHy 18* /  :cobra-small: Baffler 7w 20* /   :cobra-small: King F6 irons 5i-GW /                                     bsglogo1.jpg?w=690 J15 54* /  putt.jpg?w=690 Sierra 101-Soft /  :srixon-small: Z-star balls / all shafts regular flex / Lamkin Crossline Ace 3GEN oversize grips 

The three courses at Palmetto Dunes are fantastic !!!!!  check out Port Royal too.....

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

I am there every September for a week at my timeshare(Waterside). I play at both Shipyard(27 holes) and the three Port Royal courses. I have also played Golden Bear, liked the course but needs maintenance. I buy a $100 package on the first day and play for free at Shipyard & Port Royal....comes out to $25-$30 a round.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I go to HHI with my in-laws for a week every year and usually get 3-5 rounds in:

The two courses I play every time I'm there are:

* Dolphin Head (this is actually one of my favorites on the island)

* The Port Royal courses

I was going to play one of the Palmetto Dunes courses this year, but a storm rolled through :( I've heard great things about them all though.

Keep your eye out on GolfNow and the tee times posted on the websites -- You can sometimes catch pretty good deals if you are flexible about which course you play when.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Mini

Hybrids: Adams Tight Lie (3)

Irons: 5-A Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 (56/60)

Putter: Odyssey White Hot RX 1

I have only been over to HHI once and stayed at the Marriott Resort and played all 3 Palmetto Dunes courses.  The RTJs course is easily the best but I would play the other 2 again too.  The staff is friendly and the golf is challenging.  You will enjoy it. 

Driver -  :callaway-small:   Rogue ST Max
Woods - :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max  3, 5 & 7 Woods
Irons  -   :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max                                                                                                                                                                                       

Wedges - :cleveland-small:  Zipcore RTX 6 50°  CBX2   54* & 58*                                                                                                                                               

Putter -  Evnroll   ER2
Rangefinder - :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX-10 Slope
Ball -  :vice: Pro Tour Drip                                                                                                                                                                                           

Bag -  :tour-edge: Xtreme Cart 7.0 Bag Heather/Red/White

Thanks all! Nice to get some trusted feedback! I appreciate everyone taking time to respond. So far I have booked one round at each of the three Palmetto Dunes courses. If I can squeeze in any more, I will try out some of the other recommendations as well!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Thanks all! Nice to get some trusted feedback! I appreciate everyone taking time to respond. So far I have booked one round at each of the three Palmetto Dunes courses. If I can squeeze in any more, I will try out some of the other recommendations as well!

you wont be dissapointed in Palmetto,,,,  As FoZ said above, make sure you check into play passes to save some cash....  Enjoy your round(s)

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

I've played Golden Bear and it was nice. Tight though, they tell you it's basically hit a number to get you to 150, not driver. Played Fazio course at P Dunes. Enjoyed it, 17 is a freaking beast of a par 3 from tips. Everyone had pretty much mentioned the other top choices.

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

• 3 months later...

Late to this discussion........
​I live in Hilton Head, so if anyone needs some recommendations, just let me know.

To respond to some of the comments above, due to current conditioning I would stay clear of the Port Royal and Shipyard courses.  Just not in the best shape right now.

The courses in Sea Pines, Palmetto Dunes, Hilton Head Plantation (Dolphin Head, Bear Creek, Oyster Reef, and Hilton Head Country Club) are all in good condition.

Courses just off-island I would recommend are:  Old South, Crescent, Eagles Point, and Pinecrest are all in good shape.  Also, Hilton Head National (which is one of my favorites).  Play it now because they are talking about closing it down and developing the land with homes and shopping - which is going to SUCK.  Great golf course.

Archived