Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

I agree it's the best tip out there. Unfortunately, as you pointed out, it's amongst thousands if not millions of other 'tips' and fixes that actually don't work for all.

The hardest thing in this game is figuring out who / what to listen to and take on board. There's a lot of BS talked out there folks... be careful! If it means filling the pages with tips that only confuse half the golfers reading and don't actually apply to the other half then that's what they have to do.

I have spent a lot of time un-doing 'useful' tips found in magazines & DVDs :D

"The more I practice the luckier I get" - Gary Player

R1, Matrix Black Tie 7M3 S flex
RBZ, 14.5, Matrix Black Tie 7M3 S flex
R11 17 & 22 Rescues, Motore F3 S flex
Rocketbladez Tour irons, 5 - PW,
ATV 50,54,Tour preferred 58 wedges
Daddy Long Legs 33-35"
Tour Preferred X

I agree it's the best tip out there. Unfortunately, as you pointed out, it's amongst thousands if not millions of other 'tips' and fixes that actually don't work for all.

The hardest thing in this game is figuring out who / what to listen to and take on board. There's a lot of BS talked out there folks... be careful! If it means filling the pages with tips that only confuse half the golfers reading and don't actually apply to the other half then that's what they have to do.

I have spent a lot of time un-doing 'useful' tips found in magazines & DVDs :D

+1

I suspect 90% of all golfers would do themselves a big favor if they cancelled their subscriptions to golf magazines, block The Golf Channel (except for live golf), muting any TV instruction, and find a couple of good forums/blogs for equipment and instruction. If anyone were to critically review The Haney Project with Ray Romano and can explain to me why this boob is a Top Ten teacher, please let me know.

Great drill.

I have found I actually putt better (on the practice green) with my eyes closed. Makes no sense to me, but there is no question I hit the putt more solid and online when I have eyes closed. I don't have the guts to do it on the course, but I know there is something to learn from that drill.

I suspect keeping my eyes closed does several things: (1) i don't look up (2) i don't watch my putter path (3) I have better rhythm with my putter speed through the ball b/c impact just happens (as opposed to be so focused on hitting).

Anyone else have the same experience or thoughts?

I use the same tip when I hit my wedge shots from 30 yards and in. The ball is going to the green, there's no need to look at it... I just keep my head down until I head that "plop" and then look up... It's surprising how much of a difference it makes, I'll have to try it with putting...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

I guess TW could use this tip and quit changing putters!

I bet he's changed his a lot less than most out there :)

You'll also notice how well he says down whilst putting, letting his eyes move to watch the ball roll rather than turning his body to look up.

Phana24JG - couldn't agree more. Too much information is definately bad. Especially as half of it contradicts the stuff you read on the previous page! I'd argue that seeing a PGA Pro would be the correct way to go though rather than using online diagnosis as it's tricky to get the full picture from a description. How often is the golfer actually doing what they 'feel' as though they are doing!? But then I would say that hey..... :)

Daddy Long Legs 33-35"
Tour Preferred X

Great drill.

I have found I actually putt better (on the practice green) with my eyes closed. Makes no sense to me, but there is no question I hit the putt more solid and online when I have eyes closed. I don't have the guts to do it on the course, but I know there is something to learn from that drill.

I suspect keeping my eyes closed does several things: (1) i don't look up (2) i don't watch my putter path (3) I have better rhythm with my putter speed through the ball b/c impact just happens (as opposed to be so focused on hitting).

Anyone else have the same experience or thoughts?

Putting with your eyes closed does exactly what you described, it stops you from seeing and therefore trying to 'steer' your stroke. Taking away the hit is also a great bonus. Dr. Rotella talks about putting whilst looking at the hole rather than the ball in his book "Putting Out Of Your Mind". A must read if you haven't already read it.

Focusing on an exact point on the ball, say the number can have the same effect. You shouldn't be aware of the stroke whilst it's happening. Infact, I'd argue that practice swings should be made whilst looking at the hole too so really I don't spend any time at all 'looking' at my stroke unless I'm seriously trying to change it (which I've never felt the need to.)

Good putters care less about their stroke and more about starting their ball towards their target. I could talk / type on that subject for a loooooooong time :)

Daddy Long Legs 33-35"
Tour Preferred X

When I first started playing seriously, I took a series of 5 lessons with a great pro (Brent Bowen for anyone in the Raleigh-Durham Triangle). This was the #1 putting tip that he gave me and I still focus on it for putts, chips, and pitches. The great thing about this tip is that it does work for everyone (I think), unlike lots of tips that would have you change your putting/swing completely.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Archived