TESTERS WANTED! ×

Will the Ping PLD1 hurt the small putter maker?

Zeasy

With Ping's new PLD1 (read about it on the MGS front page) venturing into customization, this has to hurt the little guy. There's more to making putters than shaving metal off a block and stamping a name on it. Ping brings a lot of reputation to the table that a small shop (who may or may not be there in a year) can't match.

Think this will hurt the small custom putter guys?

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

I don't think so. Maybe the ones that just make an anser copy with stamps and paint fill, but most of them offer a lot more than that, and can be custom made for less than $600.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Don't think so either not really a custom program. Most boutique manufacturers allow you to truly customize the putter to include Shapes, shaping, and neck options. Seems like the initial Ping offering is mostly paintfill and stamping

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Yeah I can't see Ping getting a ton of action at 600$ when you can get a Scotty customized and/or a smaller shop to do so for the same or less

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

• SPY VIP

What you may be missing is that this PLD1 head is a unique head to the program. You can't get it any other way. That kind of makes the OTR Cameron argument less valid. Think of it this way. What it this was for a Cameron 009 head? How much would a customized one of those be worth to many putter buyers?

This program is not going to do a thing to the small shops. It may actually help someone like Byron out as people learn what he can do for you for $600.

What it will potentially do is change the way the OEMs deal with customs. Perhaps Cameron and Odyssey and such will now need to market a similar system. Currently getting an OEM Cameron and taking through the Custom Shop is a two-step slow moving pain. And it can get really expensive once you change colors, stamps, grips, headcovers, and so on.

Maybe now you'll be able to order a customized Cameron through a single sales interface.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Is that really the price? I tried to check it out but the site was slow and responsive.

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

I'm with Dave, I don't think the smaller guys will notice this at all.  The bigger guys though are probably paying attention to see how it plays out.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I am a Ping Fanboi, but I don't think they will sell a ton of them.  I also, being familiar with Ping, don't really think the aim is to take over the putter world with this.  They are just probably branching out.  This isn't an anser putter, its a new one.  The other thing, is like the Vault series, this is a USA made all milled putter.  They sold the Anniversary ansers (i would have bought one if I could have and they were what, 900)  so this will be for "that guy"  I would get one if it was a selectable head shape.  I wouldn't be able to click the mouse fast enough if they had the head shape I want.

just my $.02 that is worth $.00

• SPY VIP

I think they're a little high at $600 and I bet they probably could have done this for $400 or even less. With that said I'd rather trust the track record of PING putters, especially with the success of models such as the Ketsch in recent years. I'd go with a PING before I experimented with any supposed better boutique market options.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

I could certainly see people with "zero experience" and more than likely "zero knowledge" thinking this could be better than what is offered in the custom boutique scene. Custom is really custom, Ping really isn't the same thing in this case.

There's a thin line between garage tinkerer and experienced craftsman in the custom boutique scene.

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

I guess it depends on who you know. There is a site that is exclusive to the custom putter scene. These people are far ahead of the garage tinkerer as you suggest. The site is called, Puttertalk. You should look into it, : a great place to learn and especially for anyone who thinks there is not a difference. All of these people have their putters on Tours around the world and are great people. The putter guru around here is Golfspy Dave, he knows exactly what I am talking about.

Here is an example of the custom putter scene for you. All handmade, mokume gane, sterling silver insert, guilloche engraving, pencil shaft etc. And it plays better than it looks.

If you have the opportunity, you should really look into the custom boutique style of putters. There is a reason why they are in high demand.

MKG2.jpg

MKG3.jpg

I guess it depends on who you know. There is a site that is exclusive to the custom putter scene. These people are far ahead of the garage tinkerer as you suggest. The site is called, Puttertalk. You should look into it, : a great place to learn and especially for anyone who thinks there is not a difference. All of these people have their putters on Tours around the world and are great people. The putter guru around here is Golfspy Dave, he knows exactly what I am talking about.

They also have a pretty good putting instructor on Puttertalk.

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

You are so right Cnosil! Bruce is one of the best, anywhere. Known Bruce since he was the tech advisor for PuttLab and as you would know, a great person. I trust Bruce with any information, when you were the head pro for Arnold Palmer for twenty years it speaks volumes.

• SPY VIP

I could certainly see people with "zero experience" and more than likely "zero knowledge" thinking this could be better than what is offered in the custom boutique scene. Custom is really custom, Ping really isn't the same thing in this case.

Yup - I have zero knowledge

SMH...

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

There's a few names that are worth their salt. T.P. Mills isn't even in the conversation. That company is legendary. Gene Nead has done some cool things with the mokume and the balancing (don't know wneough about that to know if it means anything, but cool nonetheless), past that I question everything else. There's more to making a putter than machining some metal.

Side note, no CNC'ed Putter compares to a T.P. Mills handmade.

I think they're a little high at $600 and I bet they probably could have done this for $400 or even less. With that said I'd rather trust the track record of PING putters, especially with the success of models such as the Ketsch in recent years. I'd go with a PING before I experimented with any supposed better boutique market options.

See thats my thing too.  I am sure that there are several really great guys that have small boutique shops that probably build a great putter.  But I personally would rather have one that says Ping on it for several reasons, and only one is because of my OCD.  I have purchased several items off eBay that Ping has done repairs on.  Technically they don't have to do anything with a second hand item. Its one of those things that they are a company that stands behind their products, and isn't going anywhere anytime soon.  The boutique guy, could get a job offer in a machine shop that he can't refuse and then suddenly he no longer has enough time to work on, build or repair his putters.  

Or he could just not be making enough money to keep doing it and has to go find a real job.  (this is the most likely scenario)

Im not in anyway saying that they are not the way to go, just not the way I would personally go.  Like I said in an earlier post, if this was the right putter head, or a customizable putter head, I would have already told them to shut up and take my money.  

Form vs Function.  Do you want a beautiful piece of art or a tool to get the ball in the hole in the least amount of strokes?

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Some valid points here. Contracts and equipment are a very separate issue. Money talks for these players. Some I know have played boutique putters on tour and then the money comes in.

Nothing wrong with Ping, my first putter in 1999 was a Ping Anser2 IsoForce that was fantastic and they have a rich history.

But, how many here have actually owned a boutique putter? There are a few people here that I know have and do own these putters. They understand, for the others; try one out that is made for you and please let me know.

Pro's just like amateurs can be equipment junkies and play equipment that may not be the best for their games.  Ignoring pay to play,  they do it for the same reason that I read in posts everyday...it looks good to my eye or it feels good. 

The advantage to boutique putter makers is that they will make you a quality product that fits your stroke and provides the best possible performance.  With an OEM,  the amateur player has to choose from what is available off the rack.  

If this program were to allow me to change design features like hosel, offset,  where the shaft intersects the head, and head weight, it might be a different story because that gets you into the price range of small putter makers that will build the putter to suit your needs.   

In the end you have the final decision on how to spend your money.  

Some valid points here. Contracts and equipment are a very separate issue. Money talks for these players. Some I know have played boutique putters on tour and then the money comes in.

Nothing wrong with Ping, my first putter in 1999 was a Ping Anser2 IsoForce that was fantastic and they have a rich history.

But, how many here have actually owned a boutique putter? There are a few people here that I know have and do own these putters. They understand, for the others; try one out that is made for you and please let me know.

I have. It's a crap shoot. I received a custom boutique putter (won't name names) with a sweet spot an inch and a half from the center of the face.

Archived