Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Will the Ping PLD1 hurt the small putter maker?

Zeasy

Pro's just like amateurs can be equipment junkies and play equipment that may not be the best for their games. Ignoring pay to play, they do it for the same reason that I read in posts everyday...it looks good to my eye or it feels good.

The advantage to boutique putter makers is that they will make you a quality product that fits your stroke and provides the best possible performance. With an OEM, the amateur player has to choose from what is available off the rack.

If this program were to allow me to change design features like hosel, offset, where the shaft intersects the head, and head weight, it might be a different story because that gets you into the price range of small putter makers that will build the putter to suit your needs.

In the end you have the final decision on how to spend your money.

Unless you are being fit for this putter in house, or at a fitting location. I don't see how ordering a putter from a small guy online is any different than walking into a store and picking one up.

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

• SPY VIP

Some of the small shops are amazing. If I was buying another custom putter it would be made by Byron Morgan. Cool cat who makes great putters. That's why I have six of them.

I've had bad bad putters from small shops too though. Got to be careful. Not going to name names but just know that CNC access does not make you a master craftsman like Gene Nead or David Mills.

As for ping. The Vault Anser 2 is spectacular. One of my favorite to roll in a long time, regardless of maker. I think that influences my take on the PLD1. Customization and Vault pedigree adds up to so much goodness. Maybe it doesn't have the blood sweat and tears of the small shop, but it's badass.

$500 on these and I bet they would already be gone. Hopefully I get my hands on one so I can pass along first hand info.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Unless you are bein fit for this putter in house, or at a fitting location. I don't see how ordering a putter from a small guy online is any different than walking into a store and picking one up.

Never said fitting wasn't important.  if you just want basic anser/newport/newport 2/8802/#9 type look and don't care about things like offset or particular neck placement then just buy OEM.  If you are following that approach,  you probably are picking a putter largely by how it looks and feels.

However, based on my fitting,  there were certain aspects of a putter that I was looking for and there were no OEMs that make what I needed.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

There really isn't an argument here. Putting is so individual. If you're a good putter, you can duct tape a soda can to a stick and roll putts in all day. If you are an awful putter, there won't be a difference between a $1500 boutique or $15 Kmart putter.

There really isn't an argument here. Putting is so individual. If you're a good putter, you can duct tape a soda can to a stick and roll putts in all day. If you are an awful putter, there won't be a difference between a $1500 boutique or $15 Kmart putter.

Agree that cost of the putter doesn't indicate how well you will putt.   A good putter may be able to putt well with any putter, but it may not be optimized to their stroke and therefore they might be able to be a better putt with the right putter.  As you said putting is individual and based on the individuals choices optimal putting cannot be obtained until you find a putter that fits those choices.

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Some valid points here. Contracts and equipment are a very separate issue. Money talks for these players. Some I know have played boutique putters on tour and then the money comes in.

Nothing wrong with Ping, my first putter in 1999 was a Ping Anser2 IsoForce that was fantastic and they have a rich history.

But, how many here have actually owned a boutique putter? There are a few people here that I know have and do own these putters. They understand, for the others; try one out that is made for you and please let me know.

I get your point, and its completely valid.  Bettinardi i guess is too big to be considered boutique anymore, but I have several friends who have his putters.  Only 1 of them still plays it.  and he took it out of the bag for a while (but thats not really a good comparison as he has 35 putters at the house)  

The Ping IsoForce was a great design.  Patent must have ran out, as Edel (i think) is making one that is almost identical.  I had a Darby from the original WRX line and then a couple of the production line models 

To me, Ping is still more boutique compared to the big guys.  But they don't do all the options.  I come from the music industry, and there were boutique guitar builders that could do some amazing things with pieces of wood and a set of Seymour Duncan Pickups...  But most of them that I knew are gone less than 10 years later.  But the Jackson Charvel Custom shop (now owned by Fender) is still doing them.  They don't have an unlimited options, but they can and still build pretty much anything you want.  But it will cost you probably double what it will at a small builder.  but a lifetime warranty for the original owner that will more than likely outlast the original owner is pretty bitchin'

Truth be told; I'm not concerned in the least with what anyone uses but do hope they are happy with their choice. But, to discount the custom boutique putter when there might be three or more here that actually know about what it brings and then the non-believers base their opinion on no firsthand experience and likely limited knowledge speaks volumes. If you are truly interested, look into PutterTalk. You will learn a lot and maybe your opinion will be changed.

Truth be told; I'm not concerned in the least with what anyone uses but do hope they are happy with their choice. But, to discount the custom boutique putter when there might be three or more here that actually know about what it brings and then the non-believers base their opinion on no firsthand experience and likely limited knowledge speaks volumes. If you are truly interested, look into PutterTalk. You will learn a lot and maybe your opinion will be changed.

I have first hand knowledge. My experience has been 50-50.

It's a little unseemly to link to another forum from here, imo.

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

Well, I will take your word on your knowledge etc. :) Others here actually are involved in it, much more than you I would imagine and one of them was actually interviewed by a major golf magazine on the custom putter scene. As far as links go; I do not see one. What I do see, is another place where the information is readily available to anyone, including you. PT is very niche orientated and certainly is not in competition with MGS. I would imagine if there was a problem with mentioning PutterTalk, I would have heard about it.

Not much for me to say that hasn't already  been said before, other than if you really are interested in this go and delve in, you might be surprised what you will learn. All of us are constantly learning new things, you can to. :)

Well, I will take your word on your knowledge etc. :) Others here actually are involved in it, much more than you I would imagine and one of them was actually interviewed by a major golf magazine on the custom putter scene. As far as links go; I do not see one. What I do see, is another place where the information is readily available to anyone, including you. PT is very niche orientated and certainly is not in competition with MGS. I would imagine if there was a problem with mentioning PutterTalk, I would have heard about it.

Not much for me to say that hasn't already been said before, other than if you really are interested in this go and delve in, you might be surprised what you will learn. All of us are constantly learning new things, you can to. :)

The coincidence here is that you have to take someone's word that a $500 boutique putter will even perform. The original argument here is that ping brings a reputation of performance to the custom scene that many boutique brands lack.

You'd be surprised just how much knowledge others have!

You should make that test happen, I'd certainly be interested in the results. You should speak with one of the boutique guys and see if they'd be interested. I have a fairly good idea what the answer would be but it would be an interesting test if you could make it happen.

No boutique putter in a large scale test will beat the Ketsch or EVNROLL. There's just too much technology in these putters.

I think that is a pretty broad statement. The ketsch is one putter and enroll is a line of putters. I will assume that you are referring to the variable groove spacing which is on more than the ketsch. Based on your statement even other OEMs should give up on making putters.

While I like the enroll putters neither they nor the ping putters have been the best performing for me. I am not saying that boutique is the way to go but that even ping and evnroll have to allow more configuration option to fit a golfers tendencies

• SPY VIP

I think that is a pretty broad statement. The ketsch is one putter and enroll is a line of putters. I will assume that you are referring to the variable groove spacing which is on more than the ketsch. Based on your statement even other OEMs should give up on making putters.

While I like the enroll putters neither they nor the ping putters have been the best performing for me. I am not saying that boutique is the way to go but that even ping and evnroll have to allow more configuration option to fit a golfers tendencies

Yup they should totally give up.

SMH...

My comparison (examples) was for the sake of comparing boutique to OEM, but read into it any way you like.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

The Ping ketsch is a pretty great performing putter across the board, not just for a segment of golfers like most putters. I hardly doubt the PLD1 will be the last Ping putter with custom options. Imagine what a PLDKetch would do to the market!

Most of the boutique scene is about taking an old anser design, changing a few edges and adding a (no impact performance) groove pattern to the face. Why waste your time on a putter that's a clone when you can get a modern anser direct from Ping with your daugter's birthday and whatever saying you think is catchy at the moment?

You could have said it much better by saying that the large R&D efforts at the OEMs have the ability to advance putter design more quickly than a boutique maker. I would probably agree with this perspective. I think a general problem with the boutique makers is their desire to please the customer with unique designs and their own handmade designs that my lack the necessary balance to make it more than a work of art

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No one is ever going to win this one... putters are the most personal club in the bag.

Some guys want the tech that will shave a putt or 2 off of each round.

Some guys want classic clean lines and craftsmanship, and aren't worried about the tech at all.

Some guys buy hand made putters to display, and never hit a ball with them.

Some guys will spend $500 on a driver to use 12-14 strokes a round, but use a junk putter for 30 or more strokes per round.

And on and on... at the end of the day, none of these guys are wrong.

The Ping ketsch is a pretty great performing putter across the board, not just for a segment of golfers like most putters. I hardly doubt the PLD1 will be the last Ping putter with custom options. Imagine what a PLDKetch would do to the market!

Most of the boutique scene is about taking an old anser design, changing a few edges and adding a (no impact performance) groove pattern to the face. Why waste your time on a putter that's a clone when you can get a modern anser direct from Ping with your daugter's birthday and whatever saying you think is catchy at the moment?

It's the custom boutique putter scene, basically a dick measuring contest to show all their friends the cool pics and seeing who can one up each other.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

It's the custom boutique putter scene, basically a dick measuring contest to show all their friends the cool pics and seeing who can one up each other.

Are you should you didn't mean to say the Cameron boutique putter scene  :lol:

Are you should you didn't mean to say the Cameron boutique putter scene :lol:

No that's more of a cult following which I can understand because there are collectors.

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

So here's the next question.  What makes a putter company "boutique" vs just a small putter company?

I can think of some companies that I consider boutique that make crap products.  I can also think of some small putter companies that make great flat sticks, and some that are just trying to be the next Scotty.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

So here's the next question. What makes a putter company "boutique" vs just a small putter company?

I can think of some companies that I consider boutique that make crap products. I can also think of some small putter companies that make great flat sticks, and some that are just trying to be the next Scotty.

I think putter companies that offer more flash than function would be considered boutique. Companies like EVNRoll, Carbon, Sentio, etc would be considered small (imo).

So here's the next question. What makes a putter company "boutique" vs just a small putter company?

I can think of some companies that I consider boutique that make crap products. I can also think of some small putter companies that make great flat sticks, and some that are just trying to be the next Scotty.

When I hear the word "boutique" I get the feeling I'm going to be paying more for less or the same. When I think of small I think of someone with a new or refreshing idea that's just starting out

When I hear the word "boutique" I get the feeling I'm going to be paying more for less or the same. When I think of small I think of someone with a new or refreshing idea that's just starting out

It's unfair to assume that before even getting a first impression. You could miss out on a lot of cool things.

Some would argue that Bettinardi is a boutique putter. By definition, boutique is a business that serves a sophisticated or specialized clientele.

I think Scotty and Bettinardi both have boutique divisions with their custom and limited release products. I guess price is a good way to judge it. Anything over $400 in my opinion is a "boutique" putter.

Some would argue that Bettinardi is a boutique putter. By definition, boutique is a business that serves a sophisticated or specialized clientele.

I think Scotty and Bettinardi both have boutique divisions with their custom and limited release products. I guess price is a good way to judge it. Anything over $400 in my opinion is a "boutique" putter.

I agree. I wasn't exactly fair in my "flash over function" comment; I know boutique putters can quite functional, but mostly that I consider boutique have extraordinary looks and are very expensive.

Archived