Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Bombtech Grenade Thoughts....?

Samson

So... After a 10 year hiatus from golf due to school, I am back at it and absolutely loving it. Clubs are/were dated. Had irons fit 18 years ago, and my woods were.... Well archaic. So halfway through the summer I ended up buying a Bombtech Grenade in 9 degrees with their xstiff shaft.

Love the idea of the company, really liked the look of the club. Problem is, I started doing some digging after noticing I really wasn't performing much better than I had been with my old driver (Precision 10.5). When I caught it just right it would go, usually in the 305 to 315 range, but it was really hard to make good contact, to a point where the Grenade was just staying in the bag. Having stumbled across this blog and site, I find that I'm quite disappointed in the product - given their advertising, and the results I have seen in most wanted testing. Anyways, I cracked the club face and haven't had the best time with their service folks. Borrowed a Cobra FLY Z from a buddy and the tee is suddenly a very nice place to be... Carrying 320 regularly and just very easy to hit.

I was curious to see if anyone else has had any experience (good or bad), with Bombtech. Did I just pull a short straw, or is this representative of Bombtech's line of products?

• SPY VIP

I have a grenade and I can crank it long for me (9° regular-plays stiff). However, I put my G30 in the bag and my regular playing partners after the first round commented on how much straighter I hit the ball. Honestly, I may have lost 5 yards, but I sure hit a lot more fairways.

You'd be better served testing a few drivers on sale at your local shop and seeing which one goes best

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

Sorry you pulled the pin on that one.

I'm sure they have some good qualities, but I never thought to look or try them.

I do like the advertising campaign they have going on though.

Good luck with the cobra.

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

• SPY VIP

While there are some who love the Grenade, and I'm personally of the school of thought that almost anything will work for someone, I'd be inclined to call it bad design.

The CG is EXCEPTIONALLY high (the highest we've ever measured), and that lends itself well only to guys who hit the ball consistently above the center of the face. In our tests we saw a pronounced right-side bias suggesting some had trouble squaring it up. 

The aerodynamics story doesn't pass the sniff test with a single one of the R&D guys I know who deal with aerodynamics in any capacity.

From a design perspective, it's not too different from the Nike Covert series, but without the same level of R&D behind it. It will fit a small percentage of golfers. While MOI is above average, most drivers from the big guys will almost always outperform it.

Take a look at our CG charts to get a better understanding of where it fits: https://www.mygolfspy.com/2016-driver-cg-advanced-data/

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Those charts are part of what made me really start to think critically regarding the purchase, too bad I left my analytical side at home when I "pulled the pin". I'm interested to see how the reviews look on their iron line (which I likely won't be purchasing ).

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Their sales approach is questionable. Pretty sure there are laws against 3 year long sales (woods) and always on sale (irons).

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

Their sales approach is questionable. Pretty sure there are laws against 3 year long sales (woods) and always on sale (irons).

I've wondered that, if it's always on sale why not just call that the regular price?

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

A MN company (MyPillow) just got dinged for this.  They've been running a "buy one get one free" campaign for about 10 years now.  The BBB just discredited them and gave them an F rating until they fix it.  Deceptive advertising.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

A MN company (MyPillow) just got dinged for this. They've been running a "buy one get one free" campaign for about 10 years now. The BBB just discredited them and gave them an F rating until they fix it. Deceptive advertising.

JC Penney just settled a lawsuit over the same thing.

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

A MN company (MyPillow) just got dinged for this. They've been running a "buy one get one free" campaign for about 10 years now. The BBB just discredited them and gave them an F rating until they fix it. Deceptive advertising.

Do you not get 2 pillows if you order from them?

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

I was reading their "reviews"'of the irons, all 5 star on their site, but they are only on pre-order and haven't been released yet

I'd honestly be interested

in giving them a swing sometime from driver through putter, but not gonna order and pay 10% restocking fee if I didn't like them.

I've read a few people on the forum note that Sully wasn't 100% truthful on 100% made is USA though.

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

I was reading their "reviews"'of the irons, all 5 star on their site, but they are only on pre-order and haven't been released yet

I'd honestly be interested

in giving them a swing sometime from driver through putter, but not gonna order and pay 10% restocking fee if I didn't like them.

I've read a few people on the forum note that Sully wasn't 100% truthful on 100% made is USA though.

He's claiming made in the USA?!

Do you not get 2 pillows if you order from them?

Tazz

You do, but if it's always buy one get one free then it's not really a sale.  It's just regular price.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Absolute garbage is my opinion of the company. It is the new warrior custom golf. I'd stay away. Plenty of better clubs out there. Plus, I wouldn't want them to have my credit card info.

With how their customer service is so far, I should probably just cancel my card. It's too bad, I really wanted to support the little guy instead of pouring my money into big business.

I have the 3W and 4H in my bag. To me with a 87 mph SS, they are fine, very solid when hit. 3W goes 190-210 and very straight. The 4H will go 170-180 straight. I have no need for the driver as I game the Powerbilt AFO DFX. P.S. I only paid $130 for them.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I have the 3W and 4H in my bag. To me with a 87 mph SS, they are fine, very solid when hit. 3W goes 190-210 and very straight. The 4H will go 170-180 straight. I have no need for the driver as I game the Powerbilt AFO DFX. P.S. I only paid $130 for them.

I'm glad you are happy with them, and to be honest, I was pretty pretty happy with the price for the driver, just not the results - I unfortunately let my pride get in the way of taking advantage of the restocking program. I remain curious about the irons.

• SPY VIP

I think it is hilarious that they are even releasing irons given that their owner said years ago that iron technology was capped out and there was no point to release irons.

So you're saying, he's made a better iron? We're witnessing a true modern day technology breakthrough?

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

So you're saying, he's made a better iron? We're witnessing a true modern day technology breakthrough?

That would be Epic. I guess you could call these new irons a jailbreak of technology.

He's claiming made in the USA?!

He was for a while, at least with the driver. I don't see how it could be possible with $299 irons.

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

I have the putter and the hybrids. They have been great for me but I also had them fitted to me after the fact. Different shafts etc. I don't think they are anything extra special but they do make a product that can compete with the bigger guys

Bryan Pool

Ping G20 Driver

Bombtech hybrids

Ping G20 green dot irons/wedges

Cleveland Huntington beach 6 putter 

• 1 month later...

I have the putter and the hybrids. They have been great for me but I also had them fitted to me after the fact. Different shafts etc. I don't think they are anything extra special but they do make a product that can compete with the bigger guys

They are not made in the USA. I know they are component parts from China. They might be assembled in the USA but that's it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

That's okay, for the price. They are worth it!

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Archived